Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

corn? bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Who knows at this point half of what Cornette says is made up nonsense about Japanese school girl fetishes and Kenny Omega.

He also thinks Brodie Lee is boring so I think it's safe to conclude that Cornette doesn't know poo poo about wrestling past 1989 and is generally a moron.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

He also thinks Brodie Lee is boring so I think it's safe to conclude that Cornette doesn't know poo poo about wrestling past 1989 and is generally a moron.

Brodie Lee in the territory days would have been the most hated heel in the world.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jim Cornette thinks whatever will get the old grumpy racists that support him to click on his next video at the time, that's all there really is to it

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

honestly the OP of the thread should list all the poo poo cornette has said about kenny omega alone just to get an idea of what kind of headspace he's in.

also jim cornette watched wrestlers gently caress his wife.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
So from what I'm gathering, it sounds like Cornette's gonna torch yet another lengthy friendship, simply because he can't stand some of the people that work for AEW; and he can't handle that some of his old friends not only disagree with him, but actually like those same people.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4fyJShr4s

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vince MechMahon posted:

Brodie Lee in the territory days would have been the most hated heel in the world.

Seriously. It's like JR isn't entirely off when he compares Lee to Bruiser Brody. Giant, straggly bearded crazy-rear end brawler. Jim Cornette is so completely lost to his hatred he no longer remembers what he actually likes. It's pitiable.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Jim hates Brodie Lee because he believed a conspiracy theory some Redditor emailed to him about Brodie and Meltzer having a mutual friend who works in accounting for AEW, and because of this connection Meltzer spent years (before AEW even existed) putting over Brodie so when Brodie inevitably came to AEW, it would be good for AEW, thus proving Meltzer is just a paid shill.

Not making any of this up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jim Cornette is one hell of a case study in how you can go completely bonkers out of a complete inability to admit that you were wrong about something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jim Cornette is one hell of a case study in how you can go completely bonkers out of a complete inability to admit that you were wrong about something.

The Glinner Effect

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Glinner Effect

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but at least Glinner is being an rear end in a top hat about something that actually matters. He's totally wrong because he's a bigoted moron, of course, but it's a real world issue at least. Cornette is acting the same way as him and doing the same poo poo because he does not like a wrestling show.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but at least Glinner is being an rear end in a top hat about something that actually matters. He's totally wrong because he's a bigoted moron, of course, but it's a real world issue at least. Cornette is acting the same way as him and doing the same poo poo because he does not like a wrestling show.

the topics are different but the mindset is exactly the same

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

the topics are different but the mindset is exactly the same

A hundred percent. It's just somehow even sadder that Cornette is doing it over something he is literally the only one who cares about to this level. It would be like if, instead of being a transphobe, Glinner was doing all this cause he was so loving angry that some people prefer flaming hot Cheetos to regular ones.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vince MechMahon posted:

he was so loving angry that some people prefer flaming hot Cheetos to regular ones.

Except, in that case, he'd be right.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think it's actually more related than that. Glinner is perpetuating and platforming opinions that make people, specifically non-binary people unsafe in the world at large, and Cornette is doing the same for women, LGBTQ and POC people within wrestling, by making sure (or attempting to) that the bigoted opinions and abusive behavior that come part and parcel with 'traditional wrestling' carry on without criticism.

I feel roughly about as safe around someone from the 'Cornette Army' as a I do around finding that's 'really getting into Jordan Peterson'.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i think it would be good if graham linehan was fed into a wood chipper

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

saffi faildotter posted:

i think it would be good if graham linehan was fed into a wood chipper

I'd prefer a method where there's nothing left, just in case.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd prefer a method where there's nothing left, just in case.

seems like a waste of perfectly good fertilizer but i'm not gonna tell people how to handle their business

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Glinner Effect

Thinking about how mad Dave Anthony got when people asked him why he was still following glinner and the excuses people give for why they still follow Cornette and this is pretty accurate!

Of course Cornette actually does still have a podcast where glinner seemingly does nothing but transphobia.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Of course Cornette actually does still have a podcast where glinner seemingly does nothing but transphobia.

Linehan wrote some really funny sitcoms over the last few decades back, but considering the kind of person he is you have to do what I do with Benoit matches and try and separate the man from the work.

Or at least enjoy them without thinking about who wrote them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The difficulty is that you can see a lot of the man in the work in Linehan's case, honestly. I have a similar, albeit much more morbidly fascinated feeling with Frank Miller. Like, reading Elektra: Assassin is fascinating to me because you have Bill Sienkiewicz interpreting Miller's script which throws a lot of the recurring themes in Frank's work into sharp relief in a way you don't often get with other collaborators in the last few years who I think are too star-struck to be working with Miller to do so.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

All I know is the day the Father Ted guy was no longer contractually obligated to be involved with Glinner he peaced out

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I rewatched that extremely transphobic episode of The IT Crowd a few days ago.

Man that is some unfunny television.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
To me, Cornette and Glinner are examples of what happens when you hate other people more than you like yourself.

You desperately need to tear down "the other" and it takes priority over everything, even your own self interest.

This is especially true with Cornette. Wrestling is such an old boys club that he could have had a cushy job wherever he wanted if not for the constant self sabotage.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 12, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I rewatched that extremely transphobic episode of The IT Crowd a few days ago.

Man that is some unfunny television.

That's part of the problem with "separating the artist from the art" in some cases because Linehan specifically wrote that episode as "It's absolutely hysterical and totally okay that we beat the poo poo out of a woman because, come on, she's actually a man" like that wasn't rooted in his abhorrent transphobia back then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Glinner got told a joke of his was Transphobic and he was receptive and apologetic until he got told by other transphobes that he was in fact right and should double down and he kept doubling down until he'd hosed himself out of a career. He's a case study in how twitter celebs are getting radicalised into the right wing by duel forces of being dunked on by the left and being told you've done nothing wrong by the Right and having your ego massaged.

Cornette is similar. He's a guy who's opinion was heavily sought after because he was in the room with a bunch of far more successful people making stupid decisions and he could make fun of them after the fact very well. Then he got to book ROH and he wasn't very interesting and utterly terrible at talent management. Now he has a podcast where he gets to scream that everyone else was wrong and get told he's right by other sad old men. Difference between him and Glinner is that Cornette makes money off his nonsense.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I always thought, maybe naively, that what Cornette was doing was a work, but one that people went for because I remember everyone loved his shoot interviews and how hyperbolic he always was in them.

The tipping point, though, seemed to be when he started his podcast and now he had to be over the top angry Cornette every week, and it wasn’t going to cut it to just talk about Russo or the Clique, and then just spiraled out of control with all his dumb poo poo fans backing him. Now people only talk about him when he says something offensive or is burning bridges, so he has to keep doing that to keep making money.

(I don’t know when or where he started talking poo poo about the Bucks or Kenny, so I don’t know if that corresponds to his podcast or not).

tl;dr he worked himself into a shoot

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Senator Giroux posted:

I always thought, maybe naively, that what Cornette was doing was a work, but one that people went for because I remember everyone loved his shoot interviews and how hyperbolic he always was in them.

The tipping point, though, seemed to be when he started his podcast and now he had to be over the top angry Cornette every week, and it wasn’t going to cut it to just talk about Russo or the Clique, and then just spiraled out of control with all his dumb poo poo fans backing him. Now people only talk about him when he says something offensive or is burning bridges, so he has to keep doing that to keep making money.

(I don’t know when or where he started talking poo poo about the Bucks or Kenny, so I don’t know if that corresponds to his podcast or not).

tl;dr he worked himself into a shoot

Except there is documented evidence of Cornette being a virulent Islamophobe dating back to 9-11 and doing so in the manner he does now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Except there is documented evidence of Cornette being a virulent Islamophobe dating back to 9-11 and doing so in the manner he does now.

9-11 broke a lot of his generations brains irreparably so I wouldn't be shocked if that was part of it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

MassRafTer posted:

I didn't know about that (I haven't read through this whole thread, only picked it up on like, Jim's second to last outburst).

I forgot to add to my post that, you know, gently caress that guy regardless because even if he's just "working the marks", he's still being an insanely lovely person.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Senator Giroux posted:

I didn't know about that (I haven't read through this whole thread, only picked it up on like, Jim's second to last outburst).

I forgot to add to my post that, you know, gently caress that guy regardless because even if he's just "working the marks", he's still being an insanely lovely person.

No one really remembered the 9-11 stuff since it was on OVW TV right after 9-11 but he went on an full on Cornette promo about how we need to commit war crimes in the middle east. I wasn't aware of it until a few months ago, prior I thought the first public signs of it were his podcast. Friends have also reported that he says the same things in his personal life but those didn't come out until after.

But with the racist rants from the 90s you can see a thread that he's always been someone willing to say really racist poo poo when he thinks he can get away with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, first time I heard Cornette go off on a full-bore "All Muslims are evil" rant was on his podcast. I'd been a semi-regular listener up to that point but I dropped it after that, it was just disgusting. The thing is, even after that I still missed being able to hear him talk about old school territorial wrestling because he used to have a lot of interesting and entertaining things to say about that time. But the more I heard about other comments he was making the more it seemed he'd just gone batshit insane to the point that everything was about his wild overreactions to slights real and imagined. Now I just don't want to have anything to do with him at all, it's sad.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glinner got told a joke of his was Transphobic and he was receptive and apologetic until he got told by other transphobes that he was in fact right and should double down and he kept doubling down until he'd hosed himself out of a career. He's a case study in how twitter celebs are getting radicalised into the right wing by duel forces of being dunked on by the left and being told you've done nothing wrong by the Right and having your ego massaged.

This is a very good summary. It’s really sad when you see it play out in real time with people that are intelligent and who could be won over but end up getting pushed/pulled into the right wing trench.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

No one really remembered the 9-11 stuff since it was on OVW TV right after 9-11 but he went on an full on Cornette promo about how we need to commit war crimes in the middle east. I wasn't aware of it until a few months ago, prior I thought the first public signs of it were his podcast. Friends have also reported that he says the same things in his personal life but those didn't come out until after.

But with the racist rants from the 90s you can see a thread that he's always been someone willing to say really racist poo poo when he thinks he can get away with it.

Highly reccomend anybody who wants to see John Cena wishing with all his might that he could leave his body and fly away hunt down this clip.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
here, I tracked it down.

https://streamable.com/nxqmz

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

look at all those nude guys

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite part is Brock shifting and looking at his feet the entire time. He's also clearly not super comfortable here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cornette: "The US Military has a history of minimizing civilian casulties"

It's always the con men who are easiest to con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Maybe I missed somethin'!"

Hiroshima? Nagasaki?