Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: Woodward writing about W

“The President was casting his mission and that of the country in the grand vision of God’s Master Plan.” This frightening perception followed the President’s declamation, “We will export death and violence to the four corners of the earth in defense of this great country and rid the world of evil.”

A few pages back and while you're correct about W being a piece of poo poo, that quote didn't actually come from him - it came from some spook operator in Afghanistan when they were consecrating some weird shine thing to 9/11 in the mountains. It gets misattributed all over the internet, its a minor pet peeve of mine, because he is absolutely a loving grade A piece of poo poo and it hurts arguments against him to misattribute quotes to him.

The quote is real, and it is in the Woodward book, it just doesn't get said by Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glumwheels posted:

Look I know republicans vote to lower their taxes and/or to hurt “those” people (immigrants, liberals, minorities etc) to make themselves feel better because they’re living like/in poo poo. I get that but what I don’t get are these people who switch from voting for Obama/Hillary to voting for Trump. It’s like slamming your dick in the door.

One fun feature that comes with self-awareness is self-doubt

"poo poo, maybe the conservatives are right actually :ohdear:"

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Djarum posted:

I wonder what the true evil thing caused Trump to push this COVID response. I am sure we will find out at some point in the next few years and it will spark even more outrage.

I think it is pretty straight forward, before COVID his best shot at re-election was the 'strong' economy and when COVID hit he was worried that shutting everything down would damage the economy a lot. Back in March most people were assuming that any sort of shut down would be 2-4 weeks at most so I think Trump assumed we could just keep things open and be ok. Of course that isn't what happened and here we are 9 months later.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Trump's rehabilitation will occur as a result of ecofascism replacing neoliberalism as the dominant power. When we gas the Mexicans and put the Quebeckers in death camps then the statues will be built.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Isn't the U.K. counting on Trump winning in order to coast through Brexit?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't the U.K. counting on Trump winning in order to coast through Brexit?

..... what is it that you think the U.K. needs from a Trump-led US government?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rigel posted:

A free trade agreement, one assumes. Biden has I believe said that unless the Good Friday Accords are respected (which would interfere with :byodood: BREXIT :byodood: to some extent) he is in no rush to give the UK special cuddly trade terms.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rigel posted:

Outside help dismantling the NHS so they dont take all the blame and never get elected again?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
This dipshit thinks he can really win California.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315454466418712576

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Glumwheels posted:

Look I know republicans vote to lower their taxes and/or to hurt “those” people (immigrants, liberals, minorities etc) to make themselves feel better because they’re living like/in poo poo. I get that but what I don’t get are these people who switch from voting for Obama/Hillary to voting for Trump. It’s like slamming your dick in the door.

An incredible amount of typically solid blue labor union voters switched to MAGA in 2016 & continue to be latched to it (though the enthusiasm seems to have damped somewhat). I work rather extensively with UA & IBEW workers and the switch was remarkable to see. To this day I think this demographic's flip was one of the large things that gave Trump just enough of a tip in Michigan/Pennsylvania. This included those who were PoCs, Mexican immigrants etc. Main reasons from speaking to them (and biased by my understanding):

1) Populism - They almost all generally liked Bernie and found Hillary very disingenuous seeming in contrast. They loved that Trump 'told it like it was' - a large part of this was racism & misogyny, but for all his idiocy Trump probably does actually have some of his moronic views (at least the ones he passionately tweets about - the bible thumping stuff is minimized for obvious reason). Hillary came across as a political windsock - one who would adopt any ideology or view if it polled appropriately without actually giving a poo poo about anything or anyone (this is probably tinged in truth).

2) Project approvals - the union groups have a vested interest in any and all major projects being approved quickly and in general. Trump's campaign reached out to these blue collar labor groups and promised they'd rubber stamp a lot of projects held back by groups like the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC is controlled by 3/5 of the party in power). The larger energy projects (many tied to natural gas) provide guys who otherwise sit on their tools projects that pay them $4,000 - $5,000 a week (and at peak in 2017-2018 many companies offered huge 6-10 dollar hourly premiums on top of 7x 12 hour shift schedules over 1+ years from this influx).

3) Internet conspiracy crap - Speaks for itself but the amount of falsehoods and insane claims about the Obama administration were wild; their diffusion through the internet really warped the views of a lot of this older demographic.

4) Trump as Not a True Republican - Most of them had an incredible distrust of Republican administrations but genuinely believed Trump was looking out for them and would dismantle the 'deep state' elements of the party to bring it to a new corruption-free era with his keen business sense etc.

Capri Sunrise fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of the bits of news that came out during the last few months is that Kushner thought the “free market” would solve the PPE distribution problem and blocked anything else.

This administration is full of people who never ran into a problem they couldn’t bully or smooth talk their way past. Covid was an animal unlike anything they had ever seen.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Rigel posted:

I've been told that they have something worked out with Trump that they will get very favorable trade agreements with the U.S. as they move further away from the EU.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Wilhelm posted:

4) Trump as Not a True Republican - Most of them had an incredible distrust of Republican administrations but genuinely believed Trump was looking out for them and would dismantle the 'deep state' elements of the party to bring it to a new corruption-free era with his keen business sense etc.

Do they still feel this way?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, but it seems like a lot of Trump types really do believe that the Obama administration was absurdly corrupt and that Trump has been corruption-free.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ryde posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, but it seems like a lot of Trump types really do believe that the Obama administration was absurdly corrupt and that Trump has been corruption-free.
If Obama wasn't literally the most corrupt president ever, why do I keep insisting that he was?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

There is nothing Trump can do at this point to win the election. There are things Joe Biden can do to lose it, but he's rather unlikely to do any of them.

Yeah it seems this is the case. Biden has to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory with serious scandal at this point. Or polling truly 100% means nothing anymore.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

ryde posted:

Most, but it's definitely declined - I think it's still a large majority however. I see a lot more 'both sides are evil' type stuff vs. the pure MAGA train enthusiasm I saw in 2016. Keep in mind this demographic was always very pro-gun and very anti-illegal immigration (believing it devastates labor unions with cheap unregulated/unsafe inflows of people) so there were always seeds for the Republicans to make inroads there.

He's seen as keeping his promises with respect to Mexico/the military/gun rights & most importantly contributing to the explosion of large union contracts (Pennsylvania has many on the go still - though most of this was just driven by the market) - I think this is something incredibly smart his campaign/admin targeted successfully that the Democrats were blindsided by.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Crossposting from the Mutual Aid, Activism, and Organizing thread.

There's a goon raising money for their school to get new books for their mostly minority student population.

Please contribute if you can. Dig deep goons.

It's a drop in the bucket, but I donated.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trump's down to 14% on 538. Trump's chances of winning continue to drop a percentage point every couple of days.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

massive spider posted:

It’s fundamentally a boring, unsexy issue to deal with. The things you have to do to deal with it involve making unpopular decisions, and its an “if you do things right-no one will know because nothing happens” type issue.

I suspect part of the reason Trump keeps talking about it as “an invisible enemy” is because anthromophising it as a battle is the only way it can hold his attention. For a man who only processes things by image it upsets him the defining issue of his presidency is one you can’t see.

I don't think that's true. People would love a good covid response, especially if it involved good stimulus/UBI for the duration. Even if the USA wasn't making GBS threads the bed there'd still be a massive worldwide death toll and Russia and Brazil's terrible responses to show how bad things could have been.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

I'm related to enough San Joaquin Valley chuds that are still parroting the "hippies wouldn't let logging companies cut trees down and that's why we have fires" line that it does give me pause.

Then I remember the entire rest of the state exists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315454491441934336
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315469486821122053
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315469484472307712

have some more sad ravings. i do think he legit believes that he is gonna get california and NYC.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah it seems this is the case. Biden has to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory with serious scandal at this point. Or polling voting truly 100% means nothing anymore.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Shifty Pony posted:

Covid was an animal unlike anything they had ever seen.

So, a dog then?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShaneGol...genumber%3D1617

This article is all sorts of stupid. I don’t even understand/recognize parts of this country anymore. What happened, how do you go from supporting Obama or even Hillary to trump in 2020? Is it social media influence from the far right?

When people tell me they hate Trump but like his policies...what policies? Hurting immigrants? Ignoring racial injustice and economic inequality? Trump’s done nothing for this country in 4 years other than split it apart.

quote:

“He said, ‘Look, Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party make me feel bad about myself. Donald Trump makes me feel good about who I am."

“One consequence of being a party that wants to embrace diversity is you’re going to lose — you’re going to lose white voters,” Mr. Casey said. “I think that’s just a reality.”

See these two quotes? These two quotes are everything you need to know about that article's subject matter.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

I'm related to enough San Joaquin Valley chuds that are still parroting the "hippies wouldn't let logging companies cut trees down and that's why we have fires" line that it does give me pause.

Then I remember the entire rest of the state exists.

Is San Joaquin Valley the place that made the news a few years ago because it started sinking?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Trump's down to 14% on 538. Trump's chances of winning continue to drop a percentage point every couple of days.

At this point, these odds are mostly being propped up by time and the model's inherent "hey, anything can still happen, we have weeks to go!" uncertainty.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Furnaceface posted:

Is San Joaquin Valley the place that made the news a few years ago because it started sinking?

Indeed it is!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315480195990781952

This is the second time he's brought up that Gallup poll

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's about half what it was in 2016, so his chance of winning 2020 is literally a coin flip.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sanguinia posted:

See these two quotes? These two quotes are everything you need to know about that article's subject matter.

yeah. if trump weren't hemorrhaging seniors AND college whites, this might be enough. but all there plans hinge on it being a repeat of 2016 and a close election. which it probably won't be. the other issues as has been stated a million times is he had done NOTHING to expand his base. folks like my dad and various are sick of the division and horrible poo poo and while they think biden may gently caress them over on some level on the fiscal side or some such, they are gonna vote for him because trump has made poo poo to loving awful. he pissed away the silent majority types who sat out last time because he was a openly bigoted loud rear end in a top hat.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

At this point, these odds are mostly being propped up by time and the model's inherent "hey, anything can still happen, we have weeks to go!" uncertainty.

Oh I'm well aware. I just find it very satisfying.

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's about half what it was in 2016, so his chance of winning 2020 is literally a coin flip.

Um...what? No. Not remotely.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it continues to amaze me the number of times bush would read a book on a random topic, end up shocked by the problem it laid out, and then immediately set up an initiative in response. it's the source of basically every one of the handful of decent things to come out of his administration

he really was ignorant about the general state of the world

According to wikipedia, PEPFAR, the AIDS thing that Bush started and championed like hell has done the following:

The U.S. directly supported life-saving antiretroviral treatment for more than 5.1 million men, women, and children worldwide as of September 30, 2012.
PEPFAR directly supported HIV testing and counseling for more than 11 million pregnant women in fiscal year 2012.
PEPFAR supported antiretroviral drug prophylaxis to prevent mother-to-child transmission, more than 750,000 of these women who tested positive for HIV, allowing approximately 230,000 infants to be born HIV-free.
PEPFAR directly supported nearly 15 million people with care and support, including nearly 15 million orphans and vulnerable children, in fiscal year 2012.
PEPFAR directly supported approximately 2 million male circumcision procedures worldwide cumulatively through September 2012.
PEPFAR directly supported HIV testing and counseling for more than 46.5 million people in fiscal year 2012, providing a critical entry point for treatment, prevention, and care.

His legacy is having caused incalculable suffering both without and within his country but his work on AIDS and the lasting impact it's continuing to have is something else. Like it's almost an LBJ thing. Amazing advances in civil rights, last real president to give a rat's gently caress about the poor, also escalated the Vietnam conflict into the morass it became. poo poo is weird.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's chances of winning the electoral fromage [sic] on election night were 70/30 (or whatever). It did. Yay. It's chances now are, um reduced. Yay.

If one lives in tornado country, one learns that outside chances sometimes win. But not often.

https://i.imgur.com/zTAGq5Z.jpeg

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 12, 2020

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315480195990781952

This is the second time he's brought up that Gallup poll

I mean, I AM objectively better off than I was four years ago, in various ways. Sure as poo poo doesn't mean I'm ever going to vote for Trump.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Um...what? No. Not remotely.

I think it was a joke.

Since he won, then in retrospect his odds were really 100%. If the model is now half what it was in 2016, then his odds are down to a coin flip.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I think it was a joke.

Since he won, then in retrospect his odds were really 100%. If the model is now half what it was in 2016, then his odds are down to a coin flip.

Oh. I figured it may have been a joke but was having trouble parsing it.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

~15-16% is a little worse than 1 in 6. So imagine rolling a 1 on a d6. Or... playing Russian Roulette. Yes, the odds are in your favor, but you're not exactly "safe".

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah it's moving fast. A combination of great polls for Biden and also Trump just running out of time. The 538 model assumes the polls will return to the mean over time. I think they said a few days ago that if the election were held today Trump's odds would be closer to 9%. He has to start moving the needle fast, and it may be already too late with how much early voting is going on right now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I love how his strategy to win California is "hey redirect all your rivers"

Like uh, okay duder

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Do they count early votes when they get them? I'm just wondering if there's any chance we'll get a definitive answer on election night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do they count early votes when they get them? I'm just wondering if there's any chance we'll get a definitive answer on election night.

Depends on the state