Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Last ep was fantastic. Howled in laughter, felt sad, went "oh gently caress" at least once... loved it! So over the whole season, there were 5 great episodes, 5 meh episodes, and absolutely no outright offensive to my sensibilities episodes, which cements this show as being better than both Discovery and Picard! Well done and I look forward to Season 2! Thank god there's finally some decent Trek.

Not like my opinion matters but I'm re-watching TNG and realizing just how much of it I never truly processed as a kid. I'm more or less being spoiled by bingeing the best Trek for what feels like the first time so the fact Lower Decks is entertaining amidst that should speak volumes.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek: Invasion

A space-based flight combat sim in the vein of Ace Combat and TIE Fighter, which gave us the Valkyrie-class warp fighter and the Typhon-class carrier.

I remember seeing this called Colony Worfs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will laugh my rear end off if the new LDS security chief is somehow just Worf.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HD DAD posted:

I will laugh my rear end off if the new LDS security chief is somehow just Worf.

Or Alexander

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HD DAD posted:

I’m actually kinda excited for Disco Season 3. Show needed a reboot and they did it, and I’m ready to go in with cautious optimism.

Yeah, I'm quite hyped for more Disco. It's unfortunate that Michael still seems to have such an outsized role in the show, but I really like most of the crew (even Michael, as long as she doesn't take up like 80% of the screen time...), so I really want to see more adventures with them. And now that they are no longer hobbled by being a prequel, they can do more stuff without worrying whether it violates canon or not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nine-gear crow posted:

I flashed back to that post as soon as I saw the Titan on screen. And I went "McMahan, you beautiful bastard." Lower Decks really does feel like the kind of Star Trek show I would make if I landed in charge of one, because I would also do that kind of "what stuff from Memory Beta can I drag into canon? Let's see" poo poo until I got fired.

E: Like for me, it would be the 00s Trek video games. I'd made Elite Force II canon. I'd make Bridge Commander canon. I'd make Armada and Armada II canon. I'd make that Ace Combat ripoff on the PS1 with the zippy space fighters and the Trek-ized Battlestar Galactica canon. I'd be a goddamn nightmare.

It also reminded me of Star Wars Rebels where they dragged in a ton of Ralph McQuarrie's unused concept art and those old weird Kenner SW toy vehicles

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Like for me, it would be the 00s Trek video games. I'd made Elite Force...

Yes, go on!

nine-gear crow posted:

... II canon. I'd make Bridge Commander canon. I'd make Armada and Armada II canon. I'd make that Ace Combat ripoff on the PS1 with the zippy space fighters and the Trek-ized Battlestar Galactica canon. I'd be a goddamn nightmare.

No. Not like this. Not like this!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I'm quite hyped for more Disco. It's unfortunate that Michael still seems to have such an outsized role in the show, but I really like most of the crew (even Michael, as long as she doesn't take up like 80% of the screen time...), so I really want to see more adventures with them. And now that they are no longer hobbled by being a prequel, they can do more stuff without worrying whether it violates canon or not.

I don't understand why they put her forward so much, previous treks did not have a main character on this level. Even the captains before didn't have every single moment of every episode focus on them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

They don't use the Spore Drive in the pre-DISCO canon because you need a pilot who has been gene spliced with the tardigrade to do it, and gene therapy is illegal in the federation.

Plus all the classified reasons etc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Yes, go on!

No. Not like this. Not like this!

Making EF2 canon also makes EF1 canon. I just liked it better than 1, okay.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alternatively, the only remaining Starfleet ship with an proven experimental spore drive exists 900 years in the future of the Federation and Starfleet is that dumb that they didn't make any more of them.

They literally scuttled the USS Glenn, which was the only other ship featuring the tech.

Maybe the tardigrades are hard to come by, as well.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The ending of DISCO is exactly the same as the ending of that Simpsons episode where it turns out Principal Skinner is an imposter, and the judge rules that no-one is allowed to mention it on pain of torture, and it is just so stupid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

They literally scuttled the USS Glenn, which was the only other ship featuring the tech.

They said in season one that they were fitting a bunch of other ships with Spore Drive too. They didn't have navigators but they did have the gene sequences? That was before the jump to the mirror universe and back, and the federation was apparently driven to the brink of defeat in that time but we never heard any follow up on the drives - you'd think they've have tried gene-sequencing some humans and giving it a go in the interim given how desperate they were.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek: Invasion

A space-based flight combat sim in the vein of Ace Combat and TIE Fighter, which gave us the Valkyrie-class warp fighter and the Typhon-class carrier.

I don't care how un-Star Trek they are, I've always been a fan of those two designs and I would shove the in the background of an episode and go "gently caress you, nerds! They're canon you. You can't stop me!"

I actually bought a copy of it to do an LP of as a part of my Ace Combat LP project, but never got around to it before burnout and depression put everything on hold. I might do it one day though. Who knows, it might be fun...

This game owned and I’ve still got my copy, been meaning to replay it for some time now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The ending of DISCO is exactly the same as the ending of that Simpsons episode where it turns out Principal Skinner is an imposter, and the judge rules that no-one is allowed to mention it on pain of torture, and it is just so stupid.

I managed to forget Disco S2, thanks for dredging up that memory :mad:

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

MichiganCubbie posted:

Just putting this out there. Wolf 359 wouldn't have been as bad if Picard wasn't assimilated and the Borg couldn't just insider information. It kinda was an inside job from a certain point of view.

notice how only one galaxy class was destroyed; was the adimrally sending old and out classed ships to their certain death so they could requisition warships over science vessels?

notice how in the dominion war the almost 100 year old excelsior class was the ship of the line

clearly the federation was fine committing old war material in a protracted stalemate while sending klingons and romulans to their death

the invasion of Cardassia was clearly simple cost benefit analysis of lives lost versus crippling the dominion diminishing position due to lack of clones

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Star Trek III established that ships of that era could run with only a couple of crew members. Makes sense that they'd pull a bunch of Miranda and Excelsior class ships out of mothballs, put some poor ensign in charge, and quietly keep building new Sovereign/Prometheus/Akira class ships all the while.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're expecting it to get blown up the first time it gets into range then you don't need repair crews, logistics crew, shuttles, sensors, and probably a half dozen other space-jobs. Just enough people to make sure the warp engines don't explode on the way to the fight, then enough sensors crew to get a target lock, a helmsman or two to drive it, one tactical officer to press "fire", and someone to be in charge.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just put a bunch of crew into teleport buffers and beam copies onto the doomed ships.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gonz posted:

Maybe the tardigrades are hard to come by, as well.

There was an entire clutch of Tardigrade eggs aboard the Enterprise for like 15 years :buddy:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny, I got through the first like 10 minutes of the pilot when it "aired" and I was like, this is terrible, and turned it off. I saw some people online saying "you know what, I like this show" and decided to give it a second chance and I'm glad I did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So are we doing a crying count for Michael this season? I feel like we need something like that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No Luck Needed posted:

notice how only one galaxy class was destroyed; was the adimrally sending old and out classed ships to their certain death so they could requisition warships over science vessels?

Wolf 359 was a scramble and presumably every ship at Wolf 359 was what could make it there in time. Remember that in Redemption, Starfleet struggled to gather a mere twenty ships near the Klingon border (and presumably not that far off from the Romulan Neutral Zone either since they then headed on to the Klingon/Romulan border) with only a few days' notice.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arc Light posted:

Star Trek III established that ships of that era could run with only a couple of crew members. Makes sense that they'd pull a bunch of Miranda and Excelsior class ships out of mothballs, put some poor ensign in charge, and quietly keep building new Sovereign/Prometheus/Akira class ships all the while.

I'm wondering how many ships the Borg attack in First Contact was supposed to have chewed through as well. I think the oldest ship we saw in the space combat scene there was a Nebula? Maybe the Borg wrecked most of their newer ships.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Hey the USS Bozeman was there in First Contact but iirc a book made it a new USS Bozeman but still with Frasier in command

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

So are we doing a crying count for Michael this season? I feel like we need something like that.

It's already hit critical

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm wondering how many ships the Borg attack in First Contact was supposed to have chewed through as well. I think the oldest ship we saw in the space combat scene there was a Nebula? Maybe the Borg wrecked most of their newer ships.
Hard to say, but we get probably 15-20 ships total. Only a few get visibly destroyed

They also threw the Millennium Falcon into the deep background if you want to count that too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah but Starfleet had been fighting a running battle with the cube for a while by that point, I'm pretty sure there'd been more losses before the Enterprise showed up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If only they'd had a few Intrepid-class there

Those things cut through the borg like nothing at all

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m just going to retcon Frasier into the Star Trek universe. Already has a cranky old second in command and a psychic councillor. This thing writes itself.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This game owned and I’ve still got my copy, been meaning to replay it for some time now.

Oh man I had entirely forgotten about the Kam'Jahtae!

Some of my favourite Star Trek games are from those under the Activision era. Invasion is not one of them!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wolf 359 was a scramble and presumably every ship at Wolf 359 was what could make it there in time. Remember that in Redemption, Starfleet struggled to gather a mere twenty ships near the Klingon border (and presumably not that far off from the Romulan Neutral Zone either since they then headed on to the Klingon/Romulan border) with only a few days' notice.

Wolf 359 is only 8 light years from Earth, it actually makes sense that it was mainly old ships since they are what you would you would expect to be puttering around in close safe space while all the newer ships are out on the edges.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is why the fan theory of the Borg farming humanity for it's technology is a thing.

Guinan's species gets a fleet of Borg cubes and earth gets like 1?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

apatheticman posted:

This is why the fan theory of the Borg farming humanity for it's technology is a thing.

Guinan's species gets a fleet of Borg cubes and earth gets like 1?

I like to think the El Aurians are a weird fluke and people like Q and the Borg know what’s up and that they’re more than what they appear to be. Like in The Good Place where Michael looks like Ted Danson, but is actually a multidimensional fire squid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I like to think the El Aurians are a weird fluke and people like Q and the Borg know what’s up and that they’re more than what they appear to be. Like in The Good Place where Michael looks like Ted Danson, but is actually a multidimensional fire squid.

I like to think that the El Aurians were so in tune with the cosmos that they were immune to the influence of the Q completely, and that scared the Q so much they finally said “gently caress it” and sicced the Borg on them to wipe them out because they couldn’t do it themselves.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Martytoof posted:

I’m just going to retcon Frasier into the Star Trek universe. Already has a cranky old second in command and a psychic councillor. This thing writes itself.

This book exists and it is terrible!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What if the show just follows Boimler around through the seasons? I’d still watch the crap out of that.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, can you just imagine it. Wil Wheaton playing a cool Wesley Crusher who just styles on Boimler all the time. Fuuuuuuck

There’s a name I wouldn’t mind to just never hear again on NuTrek, unless maybe it was just a phrase then a “Shut Up, Wesley”

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

Late as poo poo to the party, but I just want to express my love for the USS Vancouver. I love that they stealthily pulled in design elements from the Luna-class for it. It's probably the closest we're gonna get to seeing the USS Titan on screen unless Lower Decks pulls out some amazing batshit curveball, which, if Michael McMahan is the kind of guy he seems to be... actually just might :tinfoil: I mean, it's what I would do I could get away with it, and probably even if I couldn't too.

The Prophets walk among us

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

This, basically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIeEyDETaHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

I like to think that the El Aurians were so in tune with the cosmos that they were immune to the influence of the Q completely, and that scared the Q so much they finally said “gently caress it” and sicced the Borg on them to wipe them out because they couldn’t do it themselves.

Something like this is my take as well