Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For that matter, the fact they didn’t just steal Battlefront II’s Starfighter Assault mode is a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Battlefront 2 space mode was real good, it's true.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

if the devs are committed to the old school we don't do games as a service shtick then I'd at least hope for a $15 "expansion pack." it's clear there were limited dev resources and they mostly went toward making the core experience incredible, as opposed to most EA games where it's clear there were limited dev resources and they mostly went toward cash shop game modes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Buck Wildman posted:

I mean let's be honest: this could've easily been another Battlefront II, so let's count our loving blessings

I know people rightly bailed on BF2 after that disastrous launch, but it did eventually become a really great game via constant dev attention and regular injections of new content. I’d kill for Squadrons to have the same kind of support but it ain’t happening.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can you imagine if people could add their own drat maps

can you just imagine

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Can you imagine if people could add their own drat maps

can you just imagine

DS II tunnel runs for dayyyyyys :twisted:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also how the gently caress do you make a Star Wars Pilot game and not let people design their own helmets? The customization is such an afterthought that I’m not sure why they bothered. I still have tons of games where people don’t even realize they can back out and do the emotes and look around at each other.
Disney is never going to allow cock helmets hth

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What about goatse hands around the face

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

I mean let's be honest: this could've easily been another Battlefront II, so let's count our loving blessings

based on my intuition, i feel like squadrons 1 will be the battlefront I(3) to squadrons 2, which will be the battlefront II(4) of the series, with all the good and bad that entails

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

https://youtu.be/0tCAYiG3YK4

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Couple of caveats on this build. The plasburst is most effective when fully charged with an overcharge. It takes about 15 seconds to get that overcharge back after converting power to your engines. If you need to get a shot off while the conversion debuff is still active, it takes about 9-10 seconds to recharge your normal blaster ammo to full, with an additional 5 for the overcharge.

So yeah its possible to keep your boost meter filled up, but you're going to run into issues with the actual power management once you start engaging targets since even an overcharged plasburst isnt enough to 1hk in most situations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Couple of caveats on this build. The plasburst is most effective when fully charged with an overcharge. It takes about 15 seconds to get that overcharge back after converting power to your engines. If you need to get a shot off while the conversion debuff is still active, it takes about 9-10 seconds to recharge your normal blaster ammo to full, with an additional 5 for the overcharge.

So yeah its possible to keep your boost meter filled up, but you're going to run into issues with the actual power management once you start engaging targets since even an overcharged plasburst isnt enough to 1hk in most situations.

Not sure if it’s really gonna end up being good but you’re not really going to be using the boost as much in a dogfight but you could get in kill get out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

based on my intuition, i feel like squadrons 1 will be the battlefront I(3) to squadrons 2, which will be the battlefront II(4) of the series, with all the good and bad that entails

Wow I can't wait for the sequel to this game: Squadrons One.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Doggir posted:

Not sure if it’s really gonna end up being good but you’re not really going to be using the boost as much in a dogfight but you could get in kill get out.

I've spent most of my time in a wings/interceptors using the plasburst. Its fairly inconsistent at times, so follow up shots are almost always necessary.

Its a pretty good way of getting out of a furball in dogfight, and it will probably be a good way of travelling in fleet battles. I just really doubt that its game breaking. The real gamebreaking poo poo is the Tie bomber.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dunno how anybody can watch this video footage at 3fps and not get a headache

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I managed to get settled, but even though I bought the game I still can't play it since I somehow managed to fry my controller :negative: I swear I am going to play this game and begin my Y-Wing domination eventually. Until then, is there anything that really needs to be changed or to go into the OP? (Apologies again for the absenteeism right when the game came out)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Symetrique posted:

I just really doubt that its game breaking. The real gamebreaking poo poo is the Tie bomber.

Absolutely, I won a 4v5 Fleet Battle very handily because all 4 of us went TIE bomber and just wrecked up the place lmao. It's disgusting

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow I can't wait for the sequel to this game: Squadrons One.

Squadrons: Bad Company

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

never dogfight without at least two buddies by your side

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Black Griffon posted:

If it brings destructible scenery, I'm in.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

axeil posted:

Using my X-52 I set the deadzone down to 0 and moved sensitivity from 100 to 70 and it seems to work alright.

Can you pls post your key bindings

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
someone mentioned it earlier but god there are so many loving Empire missions in a row in the story.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the only change i want to see in this game is if they make it so all debris no longer despawns and it can also collide with your ship

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

i want an asteroid field map where the giant worms pop out and try to eat anyone who cuts their throttle to 0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

someone mentioned it earlier but god there are so many loving Empire missions in a row in the story.

Yeah, I know they are probably split evenly, I didn't check but the story really felt like about 65% empire.

I'm experiencing some of why everyone is pissed off about the VR. I was playing dogfight and the campaign and didn't really have any issues (don't get me wrong it wasn't perfect but it was good enough) but Fleet battle is all hosed up. That said, Dogfight is making me want to loving die atm, so I think I'd rather play Fleet battle even if it turns into a slideshow for 3 seconds every time I get anywhere near a corvette. Played 3 rounds and did baller as hell in all of them and it just felt 500% less stressful than Dogfight and there's so much going on I don't feel like I'm just getting spawn camped or lag killed all of the time. My second round was bonkers. 12 player kills, 4 deaths, 49,000 damage to capitol ships, and here's the weird part... 47 AI kills. I wasn't even really gunning for them. Not sure how that happened lol.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Does the XBox version really require an XBox controller to be on while you are using, say, a Thrustmaster X HOTAS? Because I am still in SP mode and I cannot play without an XBox controller connected. But it's wireless so it shuts off about every 20 minutes and everything stops until I get it turned back on.

Is there a setting for this? I think I still have a wired controller that might not power off, I'll give it a try if I can find it.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://steamcharts.com/app/1222730#1m

This is not a chart that suggests a game that will be alive much past Christmas.

e: yes, steam players are a part of the total game population. But if we assume steam players are no different on average to people on other platforms, that's a very steady day-on-day decline from an already fairly low start.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 12, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably depends on your definition of alive. I'm sure it'll keep a player base, but it's going to be 100% skylords in a month and be completely inaccessible to the average player.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Corbeau posted:

If it brings destructible scenery, I'm in.

Coruscant planetary map in a huge foundry facility or something (like where they fly around at the beginning of aotc) where you just blow up smoke stacks and factory walls chasing each other.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Black Griffon posted:

Coruscant planetary map in a huge foundry facility or something (like where they fly around at the beginning of aotc) where you just blow up smoke stacks and factory walls chasing each other.

Beggars canyon back home :colbert:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Black Griffon posted:

it'll be Squadrons: Badd Company, and Badd will be the last name of both imp and reb squadron leaders (theyre siblings and dont know it)

"M'perious Badd"

yalll heard it here first

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally figured out a button layout for the controller that makes boost/drift not feel like poo poo. I absolutely hate joystick-press based controls and it made boosting and drifting such a nightmare I didn't bother after getting it down pat on the mouse+keyboard layout.

Realized "Wait, why would I ever want to equalize my power? I'm always shunting it into something!" and now D-pad down is the boost button. Feels so much better.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like the last five fleet battles I've in have had at least one if not two teammates bail. I finally got fed up and dropped out of the last one, I didn't feel like slogging through another 3v5 shitshow.

I never played Yavin before, loaded in for the first time grouped with 4 other goons. Immediately my game crashed. After loading the game back up it had a scare message but no way to rejoin, so I clicked to the friend's list and hit spectate. Once loaded in to spectate I got the option to spawn. Every time I died the game crashed. Only once did the main menu give me a prompt to rejoin. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people dropping are game crashes or accidental launch of match making because where the gently caress is button 8 to cancel match making?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alkydere posted:

Finally figured out a button layout for the controller that makes boost/drift not feel like poo poo. I absolutely hate joystick-press based controls and it made boosting and drifting such a nightmare I didn't bother after getting it down pat on the mouse+keyboard layout.

Realized "Wait, why would I ever want to equalize my power? I'm always shunting it into something!" and now D-pad down is the boost button. Feels so much better.

You never balance shields? Because that's the same button.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Really sucks the rank 0 bug is still going on for more than a week and nothing being said to address it.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

uXs posted:

You never balance shields? Because that's the same button.

Balancing shield is x on my controller standard layout?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Until then, is there anything that really needs to be changed or to go into the OP? (Apologies again for the absenteeism right when the game came out)

The question I had a couple pages ago about what can be done solo without needing to play with friends or randoms online (single player campaign and one fleet battle mode, plus a practice mode - verify this by looking back the last couple pages of the thread) would be helpful to have answered in the OP. I would have liked it at least, so others may find it helpful.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I managed to get settled, but even though I bought the game I still can't play it since I somehow managed to fry my controller :negative: I swear I am going to play this game and begin my Y-Wing domination eventually. Until then, is there anything that really needs to be changed or to go into the OP? (Apologies again for the absenteeism right when the game came out)

put a big :siren: in OP that anyone complaining about unfair multiplayer should squad up with the goons in the discords. It makes the game way more enjoyable and we're very friendly in the discords and will be happy to have new pilots

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

put a big :siren: in OP that anyone complaining about unfair multiplayer should squad up with the goons in the discords. It makes the game way more enjoyable and we're very friendly in the discords and will be happy to have new pilots

Is the Marvelous Goons one still the go to for that?

Also, as someone who almost never uses discord, how easy/difficult it is for getting a squad going for people across the multiple platforms?

EDIT: Asking this as someone who plays on Xbox, FWIW.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
If any EU guys want to squad up let me know. There didn't seem to be any EU guys in the discord.