Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Do you love dumb ghost hunter crap? This is the game you didn't know you wanted! Use an assortment of ghost hunting equipment to identify the entity haunting the map.

I stumbled across this on steam the other day, and despite being in early access its already pretty fleshed out. You and up to three other people are tasked with searching for clues to determine what kind of ghost slumming around each location. Use spirit boxes, emf detectors, uv flashlights, and cameras to narrow down your quarry from a list of tells in your journal. The better you do at detecting your paranormal friend the more money you get to spend on more gadgets for the next round. Phasmophobia even utilizes the microphone, allowing you to talk to/piss off the ghosts, helping draw them out. Be careful though, as too much attention and they'll start hunting you.

While it has full vr support, I lack the setup (and balls) to test it, but from what I've read it seems to work fairly well. I haven't played a ton, but pubbies actually seem to be pretty chill from my experience. Oh, and its only like $13 bux right now.

Anyway, here's a trailer, you should play this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXofGlY--7g

Edit: guess I should link to the actual game or something. https://store.steampowered.com/app/739630/Phasmophobia/

Edit 2: Oh hey, people are posting in the thread! Here's the info for discord, posted on page 2

SaffronKit posted:

Here is the Co-op Goon discord link where we've been organizing Phasma games.. It's run by Vox and you'll need to go through the authentication channel before you can start gaming, make sure to get the LFSpooks role from the bot!

Adding a request for this trello link

Babe Magnet posted:

add this to the OP maybe? it's the dev's trello

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This seems really cool but I'm worried that other devs are coming dangerously close to my own VR idea, which is a haunted house game in which absolutely nothing happens and the only scary thing is you constantly freaking yourself out thinking that something is going to happen, just like real haunted houses

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This seems really cool but I'm worried that other devs are coming dangerously close to my own VR idea, which is a haunted house game in which absolutely nothing happens and the only scary thing is you constantly freaking yourself out thinking that something is going to happen, just like real haunted houses

The nothing happens and freaking yourself out is part of the game, until things happen and you get murdered by a pissed off ghost.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Saw this on twitch, its a good time.

Will probably never play it because I'm a wet cat but watching others has become my new spooktober pastime

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I really want to actually play this, but I keep panic hitting Alt-F4 the moment things start getting slightly spooky when playing solo, and gently caress playing with randos. Beating the tutorial had my nerves on edge even when I knew the ghost couldn't hurt me.

I just need to get my act together because it's extremely my thing. At least it's also a fun game to watch streamers play :shobon:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 4, 2020

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Oh hey! I was considering making a thread for this game, but looks like I don't need to now. :) What I will do is repost the tips I wrote for the Horror Megathread. This is for those getting into the game and are confused about some of the systems that aren't very well explained yet, as the game is still pretty early in its early access.

- First of all, use the in-game voice chats for the best experience. The game tracks what you say which is a huge part of the game.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time, especially if you read EMF Level 5, which is a piece of hard evidence. Grab the video camera and set it up to check for ghost orbs. Grab the book and spirit box and place them nearby. Granted, sometimes the ghost might simply be so passive it won't give any results for awhile, so sometimes it might still be a crapshoot, and you might just need to rely on moving the camera around and hope someone in the van sees ghost orbs. Once you're able to, buy the thermometer immediately and finding the ghost gets much easier.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- Lights need to be off to see spirit orbs, using the live feed camera in the van. They look like little fireflies and can be a little hard to see sometimes. Early on, one thing you can do is have someone hold the video camera (always make sure its one with right click, the light on the back will be green), and move room to room, and have someone in the van watch and check for ghost orbs.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and more will be added over time, such as adding more anger/trigger words like several cusses/insults. Don't use the ghost's name when asking any sort of question, as saying the name will simply piss it off and won't register the question asked. When using the spirit box, turn off all lights, though candle light will still work to get a response, and work to keep your sanity up. If the whiteboard says the ghost only likes it when people are alone, this simply means one person needs to be in the room, the rest can wait outside and nearby.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- Sanity reduces over time, draining quickly in the dark after a set amount of time once you begin the mission proper, depending on the difficulty of the map. This is five minutes on amateur, two minutes on intermediate, and no setup time on professional. As it gets lower, the ghost will get more aggressive. Also now, low sanity will cause all lights to flicker, with ONLY the insane player able to see it.

- The camera is your big money maker to start. There's a bone in every map(I believe, I might be wrong). Take a picture of it, then pick it up for more money at the end. Take photos of EMF readings. Take photos of fingerprints if they appear. The ghost visible? Take a picture if you are able to! Hear a faucet running suddenly? Go check it out, the water will most likely be brown, which you can take a picture of for more money! Also, one camera gets five pictures, so it might be worth someone bringing an extra camera for more photos.

- On the subject of fingerprints. Whenever something spooky happens, like a door opening/closing on its own, the ghost briefly appearing in windows, or the lights turning on/off on their own, use the UV light on the doors/windows/switches and check for green. They won't always appear though.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- For lighting candles/smudge sticks, hold it as your main item and hit F while you have the lighter as another item. I believe if you have a lighter as your main item and lit, you hit the same key to light someone else's candle/smudge stick.

- In the truck you have an activity chart. 0 means the ghost ain't doing poo poo, 10 means it will be in Hunt Mode and the walkie-talkie comms will be disabled, with the varying numbers between serving to show how active it is at any moment. At lower numbers the ghost might simply throw stuff, walk around audibly, where high levels it will more directly mess with the players, become visible briefly, make spooky noises.

- On the subject of the ghost entering Hunt Mode, if you know where the ghost is at the moment it enters it (you'll know as all lights, including your flashlight, begin flickering hard), you'll have a eight seconds to break line of sight and go hide before it starts to gun for someone's rear end, though smudge sticks will increase this time. It will hear you if you talk, so stay quiet and pray. Closets and bathrooms make good hiding spots. Also, all doors to the outside lock, so no escaping during the hunt.

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance when playing on a map with amateur difficulty.

If there's interest, I can do a write-up on all the different items and how to properly use em(to the best of my ability).

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

This game is tight but playing with randos is definitely hit or miss and playing solo freaks me out too much.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I just tried my first game of this after watching far too many Streams of it. I went solo, which I would not recommend unless you want to almost poo poo yourself. This game definitely hits that terror gland in your brain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zeratanis posted:

If there's interest, I can do a write-up on all the different items and how to properly use em(to the best of my ability).
Your post is super-helpful, I'd love to see a follow-up re: using items.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I have this installed, never got past the tutorial. Down to play if we ever get a group together.

I'll be playing in VR so bonus: you'll likely get to hear a grown man scream.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Had the luck of having a group of people to play this game with. I can only recommend using the ingame voice chat, it is fun when you split up and hear the other people talking about stuff in the distance. And presumably spooky when suddenly you do not hear them anymore/hear panicked yelling.

Most memorable moment was doing a medium sized school. Split up into two groups of two, each with EMF and temperature scanner. We actually manage to find the ghost, do all the evidence to figure out what it was and except for some lights flickering it went pretty smoothly. And then we got to the van, saw we still had like 50% sanity and the question came up: "Hey, should we try and take some picture for bonus money?"

Cue three of us going back in, me with smudge sticks, one with crucifix, one with the camera (note: we got no clue how these work), one staying behind to watch cameras/too spooked to go back in again. We manage to get to the area where we saw the ghost and suddenly all lights begin flickering. One of us starts yelling as the ghost visibly shows up, camera guy takes a picture and the crucifix gets thrown as the ghost makes it's way to our front person. Sadly it didn't work as the ghost flickers out and back in to existence, and starts choking my friend. I throw the smudge stick down and try to find the lighter (did not know I could've just hit f) while my other buddy takes a second picture. It was all too late, and as my friend drops dead and the ghost disappears, we basically just start hauling rear end out while freaking out.

Final result: one friend lost some items, we got thoroughly scared and learned that sometimes it's not worth it to go back in. But we also got a sweet picture of a ghost choking someone, so maybe it was not all bad.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm having a super hard time configuring the audio levels. Half the time my friends voices sound like a faint whisper. Is there some trick to calibrating all the audio so it matches up? I am using the radio to communicate, but I can barely hear them sometimes over the sound of the game.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just got this and I'm going to be streaming it with friendos. Scary crap here I come!

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
This game is pretty fun, but it makes me so motion sick in VR, and I basically never get motion sick. I think it has to do with the control scheme. I have a Samsung Odyssey + WMR headset, and this game doesn't seem to play nicely with its controllers. It maps movement to the touch pads and apparently that's the "puke city" button in my brain.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Spent all night playing this and running and screaming my pants off. This game is an absolute steal, especially at the price point.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Did another session with friends, this time in VR. VR is pretty strong since you can hold four items, two on your belt and one in each hand, and the items in your belt can be active as well. So you can have a flashlight on your waist to illuminate stuff, a emf reader to detect if the ghost is around and so on. Personal favorite moment was walking into a cold room with the book on my toolbelt, and finding after some shuffling around I noticed that the ghost had written in it while it was still on my belt. And kinda spooky, seeing stuff suddenly written in it. Only downside with holding items in both hands is that you need to drop something to activate the walkie-talkies or light switches, so if you are in a bad situation you better think twice if you wanna drop that lighter and smudge stick to call for help.

Biggest downside of VR though is that I am a coward and it only amplifies the atmosphere. Lemme tell you, exploring one of those large buildings was not fun, especially when it took forever to find the ghost so when we finally pinned it's location down, after spending most of the time walking through dark hallways (not even sure they had light switches at all) we were insane enough that the ghost kept going into hunt mode. And of course, since I did not set a mute button on my controllers, it ended up gunning for the guy yelling right inbetween everyone else. And of course as a die, I hear a friend go "if only I had brought a camera" :v:

But yeah, so far this is the best "dipshits try to play ghost hunters, sometimes get utterly owned" simulator. Not sure many other games can deliver moments like everyone getting back to the van, realising we still need to do some testing and basically no one wanting to be the guy going back in with a live camera. Or on a small map, trying to take a picture of ghost events so everyone is outside the room where the ghost is, in direct line of sight to the outside door and the moment anything spooky happens we just start shuffling out the door as quickly as the game let's us.

Edit: I'd love a write up on the different tools since I am still not entirely sure how some of them work/how to correctly use them. I have mostly just been tossing smudge sticks on the ground whenever anything scary happens

Greader fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 12, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My friends are incredibly glad that I'll walk in and start screaming the ghosts name in an effort to get it to try and hunt for the crucifix objective.

I feel less bad about my girlfriend staying in the van and watching on the camera now that she's got all the equipment, less expensive of I die :v:

Smudge sticks makes a hunt take longer to happen, by the way. When a light starts flickering/front door slams shut get the smudge stick out, light it and book it to a closet, gives you a few more seconds.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Me and my friends are slowly getting better at this, but every time a hunt starts we freak out and bunch up in a corner like scared chickens or we rush for the door even though we know it is locked during hunts... It is probably the dumbest thing we can do, but it really speaks for how immersive this game is, when a bunch of fairly well adjusted adult men and women are reduced to whimpering morons once poo poo gets real.

One thing I wish for though is some ingame tooltips for the various items. Right now it is very unclear how certain items work, and if they work at all.

I really hope the recent success of this game means there will be big updates and even more content for this game soon, because it got some serious potential.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Do you need friends for this or is there some matchmaking option?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Womyn Capote posted:

Do you need friends for this or is there some matchmaking option?

There's a game browser, but its a bit of a crapshoot as there's no way to filter out full games. That and there's no way to change an existing session from private to public or vice versa, so you often get kicked by people keeping space open for their friends when they still want a 4th random to join after

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That happens a lot less often now that they've actually made private lobbies a thing that works.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GyverMac posted:

Me and my friends are slowly getting better at this, but every time a hunt starts we freak out and bunch up in a corner like scared chickens or we rush for the door even though we know it is locked during hunts... It is probably the dumbest thing we can do, but it really speaks for how immersive this game is, when a bunch of fairly well adjusted adult men and women are reduced to whimpering morons once poo poo gets real.

One thing I wish for though is some ingame tooltips for the various items. Right now it is very unclear how certain items work, and if they work at all.

I really hope the recent success of this game means there will be big updates and even more content for this game soon, because it got some serious potential.

It's okay. I can't even play the game alone. I can play it with others but as soon as I load up a map and walk into the building I nope right the gently caress out and play something else.

I'm an adult god damnit. Games aren't suppose to make me feel this kinda way.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ShowTime posted:

It's okay. I can't even play the game alone. I can play it with others but as soon as I load up a map and walk into the building I nope right the gently caress out and play something else.

I'm an adult god damnit. Games aren't suppose to make me feel this kinda way.

I know what you mean. I've played a bunch of horror games, but none have managed to freak me out quite like this game does.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m the opposite, this game is fun but it doesn’t freak me out nearly as much as single-player horror games, especially now that I largely know how to avoid the ghost if it goes on a hunt.

There’s a couple pieces of equipment that I haven’t found a use for except to collect money for bonus objectives; the motion sensor feels useless because the players can set it off too, and I don’t see the point in the sound sensor/microphone or the infrared sensor. It just feels like the lower tier equipment gets the job done more efficiently.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 12, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a couple pieces of equipment that I haven’t found a use for except to collect money for bonus objectives; the motion sensor feels useless because the players can set it off too, and I don’t see the point in the sound sensor/microphone or the infrared sensor. It just feels like the lower tier equipment gets the job done more efficiently.

It's still a one person EA. Now that the dev has hit the jackpot, I imagine they'll be hiring some to flesh those bits out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

here’s a video of my favorite VR gamers playing Phasmophobia. It’s not cringe-ey screechy over-reacting bullshit, and they’ve got great comedic timing.

https://youtu.be/XVGRQ9B8FIw

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Is there a way to disable the VR option when starting the game?

Also, do you have to use the voice chat button when using the spirit box?

VVVV I don't have VR, so that choice is one unnecessary step. Is there a way to disable that pop up?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 12, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When I launch the game it gives me the option to launch in SteamVR or to just launch the game without VR.

As for in-game chat, you can disable push-to-talk in the options and then you just talk normally to the spirit box. Using the radio to communicate with your friends still requires a button press though.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Watching streamers get trolled by a Wraith on the big maps is kinda entertaining.

"Oh! It's here!", set up in the room, and then spend an hour shouting the ghosts name at an empty room, and wondering why the ghost never shows up during a hunt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xenomrph posted:

I’m the opposite, this game is fun but it doesn’t freak me out nearly as much as single-player horror games, especially now that I largely know how to avoid the ghost if it goes on a hunt.

They're for the bigger maps. Sometimes its hard to pin down where the ghost is so using the microphone to get a vague direction and then punting down a bunch of sound sensors can get you a fairly solid bead on it. Especially if the fucker refuses to set off emf/isn't cold.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
How effective is saying the ghost's name anyhow? I tried it a couple times but it did not seems to work, or at least have an immediate effect. Admittedly, I haven't tried saying it repeatedly/when sanity has gotten low so it might have just been a case that the ghost hasn't gotten buff enough yet to properly throw a tantrum

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Here’s me fumbling around like an idiot and almost backing into a ghost behind me:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ReliableFrailPresidentPunchTrees

And here’s my friend getting murdered:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FairLaconicSandwichPJSalt

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I ran into a weird situation where the only objective left was to set off the crucifix. We had a lock on the ghost location, and spent about 10 minutes trying to piss off the ghost enough to get it to hunt.

After the fifth round of level 10 activity, and having tired of cussing into the darkness, we chalked it up to a bug and packed it up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this game needs a mod where everyone has scooby doo voices

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Zeratanis posted:

Oh hey! I was considering making a thread for this game, but looks like I don't need to now. :) What I will do is repost the tips I wrote for the Horror Megathread. This is for those getting into the game and are confused about some of the systems that aren't very well explained yet, as the game is still pretty early in its early access.

- First of all, use the in-game voice chats for the best experience. The game tracks what you say which is a huge part of the game.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time, especially if you read EMF Level 5, which is a piece of hard evidence. Grab the video camera and set it up to check for ghost orbs. Grab the book and spirit box and place them nearby. Granted, sometimes the ghost might simply be so passive it won't give any results for awhile, so sometimes it might still be a crapshoot, and you might just need to rely on moving the camera around and hope someone in the van sees ghost orbs. Once you're able to, buy the thermometer immediately and finding the ghost gets much easier.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- Lights need to be off to see spirit orbs, using the live feed camera in the van. They look like little fireflies and can be a little hard to see sometimes. Early on, one thing you can do is have someone hold the video camera (always make sure its one with right click, the light on the back will be green), and move room to room, and have someone in the van watch and check for ghost orbs.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and more will be added over time, such as adding more anger/trigger words like several cusses/insults. Don't use the ghost's name when asking any sort of question, as saying the name will simply piss it off and won't register the question asked. When using the spirit box, turn off all lights, though candle light will still work to get a response, and work to keep your sanity up. If the whiteboard says the ghost only likes it when people are alone, this simply means one person needs to be in the room, the rest can wait outside and nearby.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- Sanity reduces over time, draining quickly in the dark after a set amount of time once you begin the mission proper, depending on the difficulty of the map. This is five minutes on amateur, two minutes on intermediate, and no setup time on professional. As it gets lower, the ghost will get more aggressive. Also now, low sanity will cause all lights to flicker, with ONLY the insane player able to see it.

- The camera is your big money maker to start. There's a bone in every map(I believe, I might be wrong). Take a picture of it, then pick it up for more money at the end. Take photos of EMF readings. Take photos of fingerprints if they appear. The ghost visible? Take a picture if you are able to! Hear a faucet running suddenly? Go check it out, the water will most likely be brown, which you can take a picture of for more money! Also, one camera gets five pictures, so it might be worth someone bringing an extra camera for more photos.

- On the subject of fingerprints. Whenever something spooky happens, like a door opening/closing on its own, the ghost briefly appearing in windows, or the lights turning on/off on their own, use the UV light on the doors/windows/switches and check for green. They won't always appear though.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- For lighting candles/smudge sticks, hold it as your main item and hit F while you have the lighter as another item. I believe if you have a lighter as your main item and lit, you hit the same key to light someone else's candle/smudge stick.

- In the truck you have an activity chart. 0 means the ghost ain't doing poo poo, 10 means it will be in Hunt Mode and the walkie-talkie comms will be disabled, with the varying numbers between serving to show how active it is at any moment. At lower numbers the ghost might simply throw stuff, walk around audibly, where high levels it will more directly mess with the players, become visible briefly, make spooky noises.

- On the subject of the ghost entering Hunt Mode, if you know where the ghost is at the moment it enters it (you'll know as all lights, including your flashlight, begin flickering hard), you'll have a eight seconds to break line of sight and go hide before it starts to gun for someone's rear end, though smudge sticks will increase this time. It will hear you if you talk, so stay quiet and pray. Closets and bathrooms make good hiding spots. Also, all doors to the outside lock, so no escaping during the hunt.

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance when playing on a map with amateur difficulty.

This a good post, and I learned a lot from this post and you should post more like it, please.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bioshuffle posted:

I ran into a weird situation where the only objective left was to set off the crucifix. We had a lock on the ghost location, and spent about 10 minutes trying to piss off the ghost enough to get it to hunt.

After the fifth round of level 10 activity, and having tired of cussing into the darkness, we chalked it up to a bug and packed it up.

I'd just say your team's sanity probably wasn't low enough, or a hilarious unlucky streak. The voice recognition parts don't seem to agitate the ghost in that way.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Bioshuffle posted:

This a good post, and I learned a lot from this post and you should post more like it, please.

Learn to make the most of the map in the van. It will show the location of the power breaker (green, looks like a battery), which is slightly randomized. The button to the left of the map changes floor. It doesn't show the location of any of the identification tools (video camera, EMF reader, etc), but it WILL show the location of motion detectors and players. Placing motion detectors in halls or to cover doors allows you to track where the ghost is moving on the map. That's good for identifying "Yes, the ghost is definitely in this room a lot and since we don't see ghost orbs we can eliminate that as evidence".

Sound detectors are kinda crap, tbh. Do not recommend. Same for parabolic microphone except in the high school or asylum.

Take a picture of ghost fingerprints if you find them. That's a little more money. Put salt in doorways and hallways and take a picture if you see it's been disturbed, that's also money. If the ghost knocks something over, take a picture of it quickly for "Interaction" and more money.

Here's a good pattern for hitting houses: Grab the thermometer, flashlight, and a crucifix. Turn on every HALLWAY, KITCHEN, and LIVING ROOM light. Not closets or bedrooms or bathrooms or utility rooms. Staying in the lit areas, open the doors and look in with the thermometer. Above 10 degrees C? Ignore it, leave the door open, move on. When you find a room below 10 C, turn the lights on in THAT room and dump the crucifix in the middle of the room. (Go ahead and drop the thermometer, it doesn't matter anymore.) Go grab your identifying tools (ghost writing book, spirit box, EMF reader, video camera, UV light) and place them in the room, particularly in spots that someone would move through. (Salt piles by the door and nearby hallways or in the room is also okay.) You can put the spirit box down anywhere, it has a pretty large range that it will catch ghost responses. (Carrying the EMF reader around is optional, but it's a good plan.) Turn off the lights. Ask ghost questions to see if it sets off the spirit box. You can ask it to "show us a sign". If you see anything move or lights turn on/off, get the EMF reader by there.

EMF5 and fingerprints are the hardest evidence to get, followed by ghost writing. You can get ghost writing reliably if you figure out where to place it so the ghost finds it, sometimes the ghost will miss it if it's been placed too far from the ghost (I usually take two books to make it easier to get). EMF activity goes up as the ghost gets more active, so you won't usually find it right away. Fingerprints are on an unknown percentage chance of happening when the ghost uses an object, but they can show up on windows, doors, and light switches. If you don't see any fingerprints, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any - the ghost might not have left any yet. Provoking more ghost activity can get you more chances to find fingerprints and EMF5, but it gets dangerous.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a chart of what ghost gives what evidence. I have one, and it helps so much. I can go "Okay, we have spirit box and ghost writing but no freezing temperatures. A Spirit will give us fingerprints and an Oni will give us EMF5. We don't see any freezing temperatures, so it's probably NOT a Demon. We can stop looking for ghost orbs, because nothing that gives spirit box responses and ghost writing also gives orbs." That will cut so much time and work out of your search, especially if you're having a hard time finding fingerprints or EMF5 and you realize that you don't need to keep looking for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There was one ghost last night who was being really passive so we decided to steal everything we could from the house and toss it in the van. We made off with like 10 pairs of shoes, the TV remote, a laptop, all the silverware, a bunch of candles, if the game let us pick it up it went in the van. We were very thorough.
The whole time we were taunting the ghost and laughing about how we were stealing all its poo poo, it was hilarious.

Suckers who hired us thought we were paranormal investigators, plot twist we were just thieves.

lol owned

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 14, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cobbsprite posted:

Learn to make the most of the map in the van. It will show the location of the power breaker (green, looks like a battery), which is slightly randomized. The button to the left of the map changes floor. It doesn't show the location of any of the identification tools (video camera, EMF reader, etc), but it WILL show the location of motion detectors and players. Placing motion detectors in halls or to cover doors allows you to track where the ghost is moving on the map. That's good for identifying "Yes, the ghost is definitely in this room a lot and since we don't see ghost orbs we can eliminate that as evidence".

Sound detectors are kinda crap, tbh. Do not recommend. Same for parabolic microphone except in the high school or asylum.

Take a picture of ghost fingerprints if you find them. That's a little more money. Put salt in doorways and hallways and take a picture if you see it's been disturbed, that's also money. If the ghost knocks something over, take a picture of it quickly for "Interaction" and more money.

Here's a good pattern for hitting houses: Grab the thermometer, flashlight, and a crucifix. Turn on every HALLWAY, KITCHEN, and LIVING ROOM light. Not closets or bedrooms or bathrooms or utility rooms. Staying in the lit areas, open the doors and look in with the thermometer. Above 10 degrees C? Ignore it, leave the door open, move on. When you find a room below 10 C, turn the lights on in THAT room and dump the crucifix in the middle of the room. (Go ahead and drop the thermometer, it doesn't matter anymore.) Go grab your identifying tools (ghost writing book, spirit box, EMF reader, video camera, UV light) and place them in the room, particularly in spots that someone would move through. (Salt piles by the door and nearby hallways or in the room is also okay.) You can put the spirit box down anywhere, it has a pretty large range that it will catch ghost responses. (Carrying the EMF reader around is optional, but it's a good plan.) Turn off the lights. Ask ghost questions to see if it sets off the spirit box. You can ask it to "show us a sign". If you see anything move or lights turn on/off, get the EMF reader by there.

EMF5 and fingerprints are the hardest evidence to get, followed by ghost writing. You can get ghost writing reliably if you figure out where to place it so the ghost finds it, sometimes the ghost will miss it if it's been placed too far from the ghost (I usually take two books to make it easier to get). EMF activity goes up as the ghost gets more active, so you won't usually find it right away. Fingerprints are on an unknown percentage chance of happening when the ghost uses an object, but they can show up on windows, doors, and light switches. If you don't see any fingerprints, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any - the ghost might not have left any yet. Provoking more ghost activity can get you more chances to find fingerprints and EMF5, but it gets dangerous.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a chart of what ghost gives what evidence. I have one, and it helps so much. I can go "Okay, we have spirit box and ghost writing but no freezing temperatures. A Spirit will give us fingerprints and an Oni will give us EMF5. We don't see any freezing temperatures, so it's probably NOT a Demon. We can stop looking for ghost orbs, because nothing that gives spirit box responses and ghost writing also gives orbs." That will cut so much time and work out of your search, especially if you're having a hard time finding fingerprints or EMF5 and you realize that you don't need to keep looking for it.

Certainly sounds like you've successfully min/maxed the fun out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not really, on harder difficulties the ghost gets mad at you pretty much the second you go through the door, so there's still a lot of tension.