Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want Terry Silver and Chozen in the next season. And Jackie Chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly, the show doesn't get enough credit for their action scenes.

Its like better than 90% of other tv shows which is wild. Only Banshee, Warrior, and Into the badlands are on their level. And thats a stupid amount of competition.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its like better than 90% of other tv shows which is wild. Only Banshee, Warrior, and Into the badlands are on their level. And thats a stupid amount of competition.

I have been championing the final fight of season 2 as one of the best tv brawls of all time since it aired.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I have been championing the final fight of season 2 as one of the best tv brawls of all time since it aired.

It blew my mind to see some folks complaining about it, but a lot of them don’t realize this show operates on 80’s action movie rules where martial arts are the cause of and solution to all life’s problems.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

It was extremely good but if I think "TV show brawl" it has to go to the hallway fight from Daredevil.

What a bitchin' television show.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

It blew my mind to see some folks complaining about it, but a lot of them don’t realize this show operates on 80’s action movie rules where martial arts are the cause of and solution to all life’s problems.

And then the show utterly subverts those 80s action movie rules.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Banshee and Warrior were amazing. I can't wait for Warrior to come back. Eventually.... I hope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love the fight in the cafeteria. "It's not lame rear end karate...It's Cobra Kai"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Banshee and Warrior were amazing. I can't wait for Warrior to come back. Eventually.... I hope.

Warrior S2 started last week, yo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Help, I've lost my mind - I think the cobra kai school fight might actually be better than Daredevil's hallway fight. Just a staggering 10 minute set piece, and relatively seamless switching of actors and stunt doubles

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Who's the second best fighter in the Miyagi CU? Clearly Miyagi is the best and we never saw him in his prime.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sato, who was also trained by Miyagi's dad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the time of airing I said the school battle was better than that huge stupid dark battlefield episode of GoT and a dude on twitter told me he'd kill me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narcissus1916 posted:

Help, I've lost my mind - I think the cobra kai school fight might actually be better than Daredevil's hallway fight. Just a staggering 10 minute set piece, and relatively seamless switching of actors and stunt doubles

That's valid. It doesn't mean DD's fight isn't really good, but I think the CK fight is a bit more technically impressive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I love the fight in the cafeteria. "It's not lame rear end karate...It's Cobra Kai"

Even better on rewatch, the setup is fantastic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Warrior S2 started last week, yo.

:aaaaa: I thought it had gotten canceled!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

:aaaaa: I thought it had gotten canceled!

It’s not getting a third season, I believe. Hopefully they were able to give it an ending.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm just super stoked there's a new season at all! Can't wait to watch new episodes of Shanghai Noon: But For Realsies.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t think I realized until that episode that Morita got an Oscar nom, but he absolutely earned it on the strength of the drunk scene. That one still hits so hard.

I know "awards don't matter" but yeah, 100% it was a great performance. I feel like the Oscars back then were better at recognizing a great performances in mainstream movies, case in point, Louis Gossett, Jr. in An Officer and a Gentleman.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The drunk scene in Karate Kid blew me away because of how openly it acknowledged the atrocities against Japanese Americans during WWII. I can't think of any other mainstream media that just lays it out there.

I watched Karate Kid Part II the other night for the first time and yeah it was fine. It was very earnest and that scores some points and I also like the fact that it avoided just being The Karate Kid but in Japan. Not having a tournament was definitely the right call. It was still a little bit too predictable and the drum thing at the end went a little over the line even for the reality these movies are set in. My wife could not get over the fact that Kumiko's hair was never kempt.

That also just sent me down a rabbit hole and now I know Kumiko is Commodore Oh from Star Trek Picard. At least she's getting work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kumiko followed the trend of Daniel being with girls way out of his league, but admittedly anybody's dreamy when Peter Cetera's playing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I watched Season 1 when it came out based on a recommendation and couldn't believe how good it was. Then I kind of forgot about it because YouTube Premium or w/e it was, so happy Netflix picked it up. I'm still angry that Netflix cancelled The OA, but picking up Cobra Kai is a start. Season 2 was not quite as good as S1 but still a lot of fun.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm expecting Kyler I think his name was? (The bully dude from S1) to wind up under Kreese's wing and come out as the new CK bad guy looking for payback.

I binged through the first 2 seasons and agree with everyone else. S1 was better than S2 but the whole thing is strangely addictive and somehow avoids being so corny it's stupid with the way it leans into its 80's cheesiness and its use of humor.

I thought the CK kids turning on Johnny was a hard sell too but I bought it once I remembered how they felt betrayed by Johnny softening his stance that they see as leading Miguel to get hosed up. William Zabka really carries this show. I don't know what kind of range he has but he's really good here and I hope he picks up more work.

I don't have much more to add since most everything has been said other than I was getting really weird uncanny valley vibes looking at the actor who played Kreese. God, his freaky plastic surgery/botox face looked loving weird to me.

This could work pretty well but one of my favorite things from S1 was subverting the Asian-guy-must-know-martial-arts trope by having him just be a lacrosse bro that hates sushi.

Daniel: Where are your parents from?

Kyler: Irvine? I think.....

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Aishia is such a great character. In the lunchroom fight her cry of NO MERCY is so good. Nerds tired of being bullied speaks to a lot of us.

From what I understand she won't be coming back because of some behind the scenes drama leading to the actor parting ways with the show.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't heard anything about that, got a link? According to the actress, she was let go because the writers couldn't fit the character in

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Afaik the drama was that they show writers told her they didn't have a spot for her in the new season.

She is wanted to stay cause she apparently really needed the money as per this:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/6y347c8

I think it's a shame she's not in the series anymore. I figured with her being one of the founding members of the new Cobra Kai, there wouldn't be any problem keeping her around. Guess I was wrong.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't want to get too into rumour milling but I've heard on other websites that her story on that changed; first she said it the gofundme had to do with her mother. I hope whatever muddied the waters gets cleared up, she had a lot of potential at the end of the season left untapped and the actor is just starting out in the business.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That car looks like it's been in a junkyard for years.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

waah posted:

Afaik the drama was that they show writers told her they didn't have a spot for her in the new season.

She is wanted to stay cause she apparently really needed the money as per this:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/6y347c8

I think it's a shame she's not in the series anymore. I figured with her being one of the founding members of the new Cobra Kai, there wouldn't be any problem keeping her around. Guess I was wrong.
That is a big yikes. I also find it interesting that none of her costars decided to contribute in any way shape or form.

She was one of my favorite characters in the show, but it sounds like she has some issues to work out. I wish they'd just recast her. They did it with Dario and Spartacus- why not Aisha?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean spartacus died of cancer.

Watching season two now. Glad to see my best friend finally had a good recommendation. I was sort of convinced that kreese was a hallucination, clearly not the case though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is impressive Martin Kove does not age so much as just weather.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Finished S2 and really enjoyed the whole thing.

Agreeing with everyone else that S1 was a special kind of magic, but S2 had some great moments too. They leaned a bit too heavy into the soap-opera stuff for me (Johnny is dating the mom! Sam kissed Miguel! Tory stormed off!) but I really liked a lot of it, especially the parts with Johnny and Daniel. The mexican restaurant scene was a highlight. I'd love to see Elizabeth Shue in the next season but I doubt it will happen, she is more high profile than the rest of the cast. But hey, we can hope. It's Elizabeth Shue, I'd love to see her in anything.

It is interesting to see where they put Daniel in this story, because it is such a fine line to walk. He is the hero of the original movie so you can't make him a straight-out villain, which is what he should be in a Johnny-centric story. But they have found a way to make Daniel still likeable but very flawed, and making bad choices due to old grudges. You can see where he has made poor decisions about his kids and his life, trying to give his kids everything and accidentally turning them into monsters (especially his garbage son).

Zabka really came into his own acting-wise in this season, his scenes at the end were top notch. And I really didn't see the ending coming of having both dojos close and both students out of the game. I am glad they got another season to wrap it up and I'd love to see Johnny and Daniel working together, they keep getting close to it and dancing away, but it is time to make that happen. S4 seems unnecessary, but maybe they could take the story in a new direction once they wrap up the current storyline.

Also seeing the other Cobra Kais was a highlight, even though putting the "body bag" guy in a bodybag was a lot darker once you know that the actor died soon after. Seeing them also highlighted how well Zabka and Macchio have aged in comparison, they look way younger than the rest.

Except for Kreese, he is just becoming more grizzled instead of getting older.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Season 4 is gonna be them going after the evil principal with Hilary Swank

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ishamael posted:

I'd love to see Elizabeth Shue in the next season but I doubt it will happen, she is more high profile than the rest of the cast. But hey, we can hope. It's Elizabeth Shue, I'd love to see her in anything.

May I recommend/Have you seen “The Boys”?

I think they could get her to do a couple episodes of Cobra Kai.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

At this point in time, is Elizabeth Shue really higher profile than the Cobra Kai cast?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No her star has definitely faded and she is clearly open to TV work since she was on the Boys.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

iamsosmrt posted:

At this point in time, is Elizabeth Shue really higher profile than the Cobra Kai cast?

I was also thinking this. At this point, Cobra Kai is probably bigger than anything she's been in for a while. (The Boys is close but I assume Netflix has more viewers than Cobra Kai.) Then again, I have no idea what kind of budget this show has and what they can offer her is probably the biggest factor.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

iamsosmrt posted:

Doesn't matter she's older than 40, she might as well be dead as far as Hollywood cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Spacebump posted:

I was also thinking this. At this point, Cobra Kai is probably bigger than anything she's been in for a while. (The Boys is close but I assume Netflix has more viewers than Cobra Kai.) Then again, I have no idea what kind of budget this show has and what they can offer her is probably the biggest factor.

Probably a pretty painless shoot for her, though. "On location in Van Nuys." It's probably like 20 minutes from Laurel Canyon or wherever she lives.