Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arghy posted:

Wooh glad my paranoia about that paid off haha, someone mentioned it to me but didn't confirm if it was real or not so i build all my bases raised off the ground with the bugged foundations. Pisses me off to no end when the legs are all retracted when i visit haha. I saw someone built a base into a giant hollowed out tube and that seemed awesome though i kinda wanna just find a huge plateau and build my own trade station with multiple landing platforms.

My very first base was partially dug into a hill and I teleported in one day to find myself half buried in a hill, so now I build everything slightly elevated off the ground.
I put down a low wall, maybe a stack of 2, to get the height I need, then if I'm using the basic build stuff build on from that. If I want to use the cuboid rooms/premades then I attach a piece of flooring to the top of the low wall then place a cuboid room frame on the elevated floor, delete the floor piece and then put another cuboid room frame under the now floating one so that it's sunk into the floor and sticking up at the height I want it too. Delete the top one then build out from your foundations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Could be worse, used to be that you were not allowed to fire your multitool inside structures (even your own) so if your sweet underground bunker base decided to refill with dirt your only options were to either wait a few minutes and hope the game remembered there's a room here and teleport the dirt out, or delete and re-build every room component.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Helith posted:

I’m looking for the new robot creatures, but they seem to be a rare spawn like Diplos, or I’m really unlucky.They give you chewy wires when baited according to the wiki.
I’ll keep looking.

I've found them on two planets so far.
My Pillar World that used to have energy balls, where I built a monolith/gold mine.

And another world I'm pretty sure was called a "Vermilion Ball" where I then built a small cabin/tiny sodium mine.

Both were in systems with no space stations, which I've heard online is the key.

Also have a pic of my Living Ship on the pillar world just because.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captain France posted:

Both were in systems with no space stations, which I've heard online is the key.

I think this is why! Every system I've been to recently has had a space station. I'll go to an uninhabited system next time and look there. Thank you!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Helith posted:

I think this is why! Every system I've been to recently has had a space station. I'll go to an uninhabited system next time and look there. Thank you!

No problem, I wanted an excuse to post pics anyways.
And I just remembered that the monolith is called the fairly boring "Monolith Of Greed" because for some reason the word "Mammon" is banned.

Yes I know gold isn't actually worth mining, cash-wise.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm up to the point in the Artemis quest where you have to find the portal, but the planet it took me to after the nexus station has it buried underneath a massive, impenetrable volcano bedrock. Is there a way to force the quest to happen on another planet?

Also does the terrain manipulator seem really fucky to anyone else? Depending on what angle I fire it at it just won't work

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Captain France posted:

Honestly at this point I've explicitly set up mining nodes for most minerals just for the sake of effectively having external inventory. 4x networks of 9750 storage per site means I can just go to a base and grab up to 4 full stacks of whatever whenever I need it without feeling the need to hoard it elsewhere.

screaden posted:

So I'm up to the point in the Artemis quest where you have to find the portal, but the planet it took me to after the nexus station has it buried underneath a massive, impenetrable volcano bedrock. Is there a way to force the quest to happen on another planet?

Also does the terrain manipulator seem really fucky to anyone else? Depending on what angle I fire it at it just won't work

I _think_ if you just go far enough away the game will eventually be like "oh hey you're like way the gently caress away" and give you a little red spiral next to the quest to "restart it near you", I don't know how far away that trigger is though

And for me it's not usually angle, it's "the game won't let you dig more until it's caught up to the fact that you've dug" and holding off for a couple seconds for it to actually render the hole you just made lets it go again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

screaden posted:

It's a pop-in thing. If you stand still for a moment before using the terrain manipulator it'll work just fine, but if you run up to a buried module marker and immediately pull out your tool you'll just spend several seconds uselessly burning away the grass because the game hasn't even finished loading the ground you want to destroy yet.

Another aspect of this is that most of the planet's surface is just a soap bubble film over empty space until you actually hold still long enough for it to decide to load the ground nearby so your terrain manipulator has something to do. If you get going fast enough, say with a Pilgrim with an upgraded engine, it's pretty common to clip into a wall at a weird angle and find yourself falling into the void because there was nothing under it yet. At least the game seems to be good about teleporting you to safety nowadays when that happens.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 12, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There have been multiple occasions at the ruin that you need to dig and find 3 keys to open the crate where I have been in the area for a bit and come across a flat surface of sorts that wouldn't let me dig any further.
It just kind of flattens out yet the chest with the key is somewhere below.
I have tried circling in case it was like a buried building or something.
But once just for fun I cleared out an obviously way to big area for that to be true.

I usually just end up going for one of the others since it needs 3 and gives 5.
But thats where it happens for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

There have been multiple occasions at the ruin that you need to dig and find 3 keys to open the crate where I have been in the area for a bit and come across a flat surface of sorts that wouldn't let me dig any further.
It just kind of flattens out yet the chest with the key is somewhere below.
I have tried circling in case it was like a buried building or something.
But once just for fun I cleared out an obviously way to big area for that to be true.

I usually just end up going for one of the others since it needs 3 and gives 5.
But thats where it happens for me.

yeah the game has a habit of putting things underneath bedrock sometimes, I've had buried modules end up under bedrock more than once

probably balanced out by the number of "buried" modules I've tripped across floating in midair but hey ho

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite terrain glitch was a manufacturing facility embedded in the site of a tall cliff, sticking out like a diving board. I had to fly up to it and carve a tunnel around the perimeter until I found the door, then hollow out the interior to get to the computer. On the plus side, the sentinels seemed to think that everything was going on at the bottom of the cliff so they left me alone.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite was when the game insisted on sending me to a factory that had spawned under a crashed frigate- it clipped in just such a way that the door to the building was inside of the front part of the frigate and literally completely inaccessible. My solution ended up being:
- Drop a base near it
- Summon the anomaly
- Teleport to the new base from the anomaly
- Tunnel underneath the building
- Undo the tunnel while I was standing in it, forcing the game to clip me upwards onto the nearest standable surface that just happened to be inside the factory
- Use the terminal
- Use Return To Anomaly to get out

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captain France posted:

No problem, I wanted an excuse to post pics anyways.
And I just remembered that the monolith is called the fairly boring "Monolith Of Greed" because for some reason the word "Mammon" is banned.

I found some! A toxic planet had only 2 species and both turned out to be adorable robodogs with umbrellas, only difference is one is white and one green.
Uninhabited systems does seem to be the key here for finding them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How to find a portal? The info that's out there doesn't seem to work anymore. I want to build a base around a portal and pretend I'm Stargate The Movie.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats with those glitches that you can pick up? Are they just for base decor or do they serve another purpose?

Also my own freighter has stuff on the outside like cargo modules--can i shoot my own freighter to get them? There's a frigate module and i literally just need 1 more to get the system wide transporter haha.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They are just for decor.

John F Bennett posted:

How to find a portal? The info that's out there doesn't seem to work anymore. I want to build a base around a portal and pretend I'm Stargate The Movie.
Find a Monolith (either by chance or by Ancient Aliens chart) and successfully answer its question for the reward. Then you talk to it again and it will give you the option of locating a portal in that system at the cost of its faction item (Vykeen Dagger, Korvax Casing, Gek Relic)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Is the maximum number of slots in your star ship the same across ship types? I was surprised when i thought i maxed out the slots in my exotic but the outer border just added another row

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, all the ships have the same extended maximum - the type/class of the ship only dictates how much it can start off with.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lmao now i know what to do with all my money

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

probably balanced out by the number of "buried" modules I've tripped across floating in midair but hey ho

So this is actually a normal thing? Good to know

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know about "normal" but it certainly happens a fair bit

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arghy posted:

Whats with those glitches that you can pick up? Are they just for base decor or do they serve another purpose?

Also my own freighter has stuff on the outside like cargo modules--can i shoot my own freighter to get them? There's a frigate module and i literally just need 1 more to get the system wide transporter haha.

1) yes, they're just cool decor.

2) yes, you can shoot your own pods! but the freighter will start shooting you back and call the cops. afaict, there's no lasting repercussion though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My favorite was when the game insisted on sending me to a factory that had spawned under a crashed frigate- it clipped in just such a way that the door to the building was inside of the front part of the frigate and literally completely inaccessible. My solution ended up being:
- Drop a base near it
- Summon the anomaly
- Teleport to the new base from the anomaly
- Tunnel underneath the building
- Undo the tunnel while I was standing in it, forcing the game to clip me upwards onto the nearest standable surface that just happened to be inside the factory
- Use the terminal
- Use Return To Anomaly to get out

I would have just shook my head and flown to a different system to look for manufacturing facilities in. :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thundarr posted:

I would have just shook my head and flown to a different system to look for manufacturing facilities in. :3:

It was part of the required questline for the weapons dude and I didn't think I had a choice or I would have as well, yeah, but the first time I was there I said "gently caress it" and left, and awhile later he re-gave me the quest and it sent me back to the exact same spot so

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Regarding freighter base building, I've been using this mod for about two weeks now and nothing has broken yet:

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1096

Some stuff is a little buggy, like you can place message nodes but can't actually leave a message (guessing this is linked to base computer proximity), but it definitely makes your freighter more of a proper base. You can build a viewing pod or underwater prefab to get a nice view of your frigate fleet, and it also expands the scale/rotate/color options for regular base parts. My main base is kind of integrated with a planetary archive where a bunch of random cranes and tanks are strewn around so I've thrown in things like giant atmospheric harvesters purely for ambience.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's only a 35 slot hauler, but I thought it was adorable with no wings. Looks like a lil' fish :kimchi:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

John F Bennett posted:

My dumb answer to this is to go to the space anomaly and start a Nexus mission. That should lead you to a nearby portal. I never have done it the way you're supposed to find one of those.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm currently playing the reloading game for an S-Class capital freighter. Just to confirm, if it rolls with fewer than 34 slots I can add more now, right?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hakarne posted:

I'm currently playing the reloading game for an S-Class capital freighter. Just to confirm, if it rolls with fewer than 34 slots I can add more now, right?

Yes, you can always add more inventory. It just takes a little longer if it shows up with the minimum default inventory.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

screaden posted:

I once started a new game, and one of the first parts had the base buried way high up on a mountain. I didn't have the terrain manipulator yet so I had to delete the save and start over. Good times.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hakarne posted:

I'd honestly just go for looks, inventory doesn't matter at all because you can install those global storage bins from your base on the freighters then get an upgrade that allows you to access the freighter from anywhere in the same system. I used to use 2 exocrafts purely for storage but now i've built 7 storage vaults in every base and on the freighter and i literally just toss everything in there. My freighter is my home base now and it's loving amazing.

I didn't like those uninhabited systems because i'd always have to jump out once my inventory was full but now i can literally summon down every exocraft, fill their inventories and even land on my freighter with it's galactic terminal and sell things if i want. The fact that you can even stick a teleporter on the freighter is amazing to because if you're too lazy to summon the anomaly and use it's gate you can just jump to any system you want.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
As far as I know the only advantage conferred by an S-class freighter is longer warp range which is pretty much meaningless since you can just warp with a ship and summon it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Strictly speaking A-Class caps out at 42 and S-class caps at 48 for the main inventory, and I believe you also get an extra 7 slots on the tech inventory page. Other than that, the differences are minor, but 6+7 additional inventory slots may be A Big Thing for you

(Yes, I got an A-rank, and yes, I did try to max it out to 48+21, and no, the game did not let me expand it past 42+14 at the time)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

21 tech inventory slots on the freighter is the only way to completely max out the fleet bonuses and warp range via upgrades, if that is important to you. This will also take 29 main inventory slots so the more you have to spare, the better.

In other news, hanging out in an affluent system just to see what kind of exotic it has (or hoping that adorable tiny shuttle spawns as S rank all you can snag it without needing to spend nanites) kind of sucks! In this case I'm stuck using the station since the main trading post is right next to an archive, and this bugs out the local ships and causes them to just circle the archive forever instead of landing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've flown to about two dozen different systems today, please stop spawning pistol only multitools, game. Thanks.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
In my latest game I got a 24 slot class A rifle for free in my second system lol

It's great to never have to worry about it again

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thundarr posted:

21 tech inventory slots on the freighter is the only way to completely max out the fleet bonuses and warp range via upgrades, if that is important to you. This will also take 29 main inventory slots so the more you have to spare, the better.

In other news, hanging out in an affluent system just to see what kind of exotic it has (or hoping that adorable tiny shuttle spawns as S rank all you can snag it without needing to spend nanites) kind of sucks! In this case I'm stuck using the station since the main trading post is right next to an archive, and this bugs out the local ships and causes them to just circle the archive forever instead of landing.

i had this exact problem, with two trading posts right next to each other. really wish there was a reliable way to find additional trade posts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

i had this exact problem, with two trading posts right next to each other. really wish there was a reliable way to find additional trade posts.

That exact problem happens with 1 trading post on the reg, I don't think it's got anything to do with proximity of other things. Sometimes I'd savescum and load into "every ship just orbits me, forever, until I reload, rip"

the number of ships that actually make it to the ground are still more than you see in a space station so it's still a higher % chance of getting an exotic spawn, just only look at the landing pads so you don't get depressed if an exotic spawns and leaves lol

e: Making a base on top of two trading posts so I could short range TP down to either led to the fastest exotic spawn short of a first wave I'd ever gotten

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 12, 2020

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hit the jackpot today with a cool S rank alien multitool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I've gone to over 19 systems now and class A was the highest multitool i saw so i basically took a free class B offered to me and now have one for weapons and one for scanning/mining. It's funny because i don't wanna invest nanites until i get a class S ship/multitool so i'm rolling in nanites.

Is there a way to swap your main freighter? Like can i have a class S to lead my fleets while my class B is just my mobile base?