Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah even in a perfect case scenario, Buffalo is going to sneak into a WC2 spot and get absolutely slaughtered in the first round.

What's sad is that would be a marked improvement for the Sabres. They haven't been in the playoffs in a decade now.

Bonus points if they stay in the playoff race till the trade deadline, then lost 10 straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

fawning deference posted:

I just find it so weird that after Hall routinely was saying winning matters most, that he was tired of not getting chances at a Cup, and that he expected player values to decline this year and that was OK for him... He winds up trying to maximize his value for next year and playing on a notoriously terrible Edmonton of the East team. Very strange.

Their top six is talented but really soft and I think Buffalo is still going to get pushed around. They won't be a playoff team even with Hall, especially without a serviceable goaltender.

But as people have been saying, he becomes a primo trade deadline candidate for a contender.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

But as people have been saying, he becomes a primo trade deadline candidate for a contender.

I could be wrong but hasn't this been what everyone has been saying about Hall for like 3-4 deadlines now?

E: it's not to say Hall isn't a hell of a player, he clearly is, but I feel like we keep hearing this at deadlines or FA periods and it never happens.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oilers, Devils, Coyotes, and now the Sabres....that’s a rough resume for the era Hall has played in

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
With Hall off the board that still leaves Granlund, Hoffman, Dadonov, and Toffoli available to fill top 6 holes for someone. Along with useful players such as Kahun, Simon, and maybe Duclair to fit into middle 6 roles....and whatever is left of Alex Galchenyuk's career. Defensively Pietra is likely heading to Vegas so Vatanen is probably best available after that with Ceci lurching and a very cooked Hamonic available as well. Gustafsson is also still around for all of your bottom pairing 2nd powerplay needs.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DJExile posted:

I could be wrong but hasn't this been what everyone has been saying about Hall for like 3-4 deadlines now?

E: it's not to say Hall isn't a hell of a player, he clearly is, but I feel like we keep hearing this at deadlines or FA periods and it never happens.

I mean, he WAS moved to the Coyotes last year for prospects and picks. Not at the deadline, but in December. And they were a playoff team, technically.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was out of town for a long weekend and I'm just catching up

JMFJ to NYR :getin:

That Crawford deal for NJD :lol:

Hall to BUF... :stare:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ByScottPowers/status/1315655185524498439

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Watch him learn how to score

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1315691771985264646

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
what in the last four years of cory schneider's career would make lou think he has anything left

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Even just as an AHL deal I Do Not Like This.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

At least we can figure out if it's possible for Barry Trotz to have a bad goalie for once

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That makes no sense unless they're trading Varlamov and going with the risky goalie combo of Sorokin and Schneider which still wouldn't make sense

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

GMs and Presidents need to stop signing guys because they used to play for them!! We have John Davidson successfully pushing to sign the worst defenseman in the league and Lou signing guys like Leo Komorov, Andy Greene and now Schneider. It’s just loving lazy. Find new players!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Still trying to understand why Hall would go to Buffalo for only 1 year.

Also, while I don't begrudge the team their current playoff success, I don't like the Isles winning for one specific reason. It gives people the idea that the Leafs shouldn't have let go of Lou.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status/1315701926604894208
https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status/1315702294428569600

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WeaponX posted:

GMs and Presidents need to stop signing guys because they used to play for them!! We have John Davidson successfully pushing to sign the worst defenseman in the league and Lou signing guys like Leo Komorov, Andy Greene and now Schneider. It’s just loving lazy. Find new players!

JD signing the worst defenseman in the league who also happened to used to play for him is just Market correction for signing perhaps the best forward in the league who also happened to used to play for him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fawning deference posted:

That makes no sense unless they're trading Varlamov and going with the risky goalie combo of Sorokin and Schneider which still wouldn't make sense

No, it's more likely that the Islanders want another option if Sorokin isn't ready to be a backup.

Though, it's still a bad signing because because Schneider doesn't have a hip and couldn't even handle being a backup in New Jersey.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The issue with the logic of “Hall can just be traded to a playoff team” is that the teams he’d want to go to aren’t going to have enough space to take him on. He’s going to end up back on another wildcard tweener, whether it’s a trade partner or Buffalo themselves.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Koopa Kid posted:

The issue with the logic of “Hall can just be traded to a playoff team” is that the teams he’d want to go to aren’t going to have enough space to take him on. He’s going to end up back on another wildcard tweener, whether it’s a trade partner or Buffalo themselves.

I never quite understood this but isn't there some kind of cap fuckery that happens as the season goes on? Teams always find a way to add salary and I thought it was because contracts have a diminishing impact on the cap further into the year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

i am the bird posted:

I never quite understood this but isn't there some kind of cap fuckery that happens as the season goes on? Teams always find a way to add salary and I thought it was because contracts have a diminishing impact on the cap further into the year.

Yeah cap space increases as time goes on, cap is counted every day so if you’ve accrued x amount of space over 2/3 of the season you can add a bigger contract over the last 1/3.

But even pro rated $8M is a lot and most teams will be close to capped out this year especially.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1315715130378924034?s=19

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am the bird posted:

Cap hits get added every day I think* so if you spend the the entire first 2/3 of the season $1 million under the cap you can add a $3 million player at the deadline (79*2/3 + 82*1/3 = 80 if that's the cap). It's not fuckery, it's just pro-rating. ELCs also have bonuses that only get added at the end of the season, which occasionally puts some teams over the cap but only applies to the next season.

Of course if you're at or above the cap all season long you can't do a drat thing at the trade deadline unless you shed at least as much salary as you acquire.

* Some teams demote waiver-ineligible prospects on paper to save cap space which seems like a stupid loophole to me and would be avoidable if they just added cap hits every game night instead.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

At least it wasn't Calgary

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1315716596673982464

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah cap space increases as time goes on, cap is counted every day so if you’ve accrued x amount of space over 2/3 of the season you can add a bigger contract over the last 1/3.

But even pro rated $8M is a lot and most teams will be close to capped out this year especially.

If the Sabres are in sell mode, they won’t be adding anyone else so there’s no harm in them retaining half as well so the other team only needs to scrounge up a prorated $4 million.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Jim.......

Thank you.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

If the Sabres are in sell mode, they won’t be adding anyone else so there’s no harm in them retaining half as well so the other team only needs to scrounge up a prorated $4 million.

That’s fair, still feels like a losing gamble on his part though. There’s a reason he was traded to Phoenix last year.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

And so it was

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1313907593073496065

goldrush fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 12, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well, I thought maybe the Canucks would fail to sign all three of their free agents. I didn't except them to lose all of them AND Stecher. That's really top quality incompetence there.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
This is not a terrible FA contract?!?! Not very Alzner-esque

Quick somebody counter my point with logic that makes this FA signing awful so I feel normal about Bergevin again

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Extremely cool and good that the Canucks lost all their competent free agents so that we can instead have Loui "Healthy Scratch" Erickson and the ghost of Roberto Luongo.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:popeye:

God I love going to Montreal’s CapFriendly page and seeing the Price contract.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Taylor Hall will probably be great in Buffalo but that team is not on the cusp of winning anything. Still fun for Buffalo fans to have something to enjoy..a bit like Edmonton will not win anything but Mcdavid is still worth the price of admission.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that Hall contract is actually kind of awesome. it gives him complete control over where he goes this season and he will probably have a good time in Buffalo as long as he's there. he doesn't have a wife or kids or anything so if his first priority is winning a cup it makes a lot of sense to structure a deal that gives you the most control possible over where you play.

The real danger there is if he knocks up an overweight buffaloian woman and then is forced to settle in the area long term

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

A mid-season LTIR injury could land Hall on a good team, possibly.

Most likely, thinking how these athletes are going into the year with the weirdest disruption to their training regimes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bewbies posted:

I think that Hall contract is actually kind of awesome. it gives him complete control over where he goes this season and he will probably have a good time in Buffalo as long as he's there. he doesn't have a wife or kids or anything so if his first priority is winning a cup it makes a lot of sense to structure a deal that gives you the most control possible over where you play.

The real danger there is if he knocks up an overweight buffaloian woman and then is forced to settle in the area long term

Your take sucks and you should probably pull back on assumed sexual proclivities of the player which also ignores the whole 'we're in a pandemic that makes your lungs swiss cheese and might cause lasting heart and brain damage'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

this is the gooniest take I've seen in quite some time, good grief.