Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/978346399283732482?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What is the coolest video game bat?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoa there are moogles?

Edit: now I have to go and see how they introduce all the other crossover characters, Aloy is in it too right

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some legit good options. Except for people that said Batman, he sucks.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey ya'll, some of you know that myself and another goon have been making this freestyle rap rhythm game for the last few years. Today we have launched in Early Access on Steam! This has been a long, complicated year- between us both contracting covid this year (my partner on this had a fever for 45 days ) and being a small team, it's been so challenging getting to this point but what we've ended up with is really unique and really fun! I want to make a thread for it soon but I wanted to share it with everyone in my favorite games thread!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250350/Rhyme_Storm/

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The bat from Tennis for two.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Is there any vtuber who doesn't sound like... that? Every one I've heard is the exact same genuinely repulsive voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEQInzRHxwM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whoa there are moogles?

Edit: now I have to go and see how they introduce all the other crossover characters, Aloy is in it too right

Only for the playstation version, and she just gets quests that unlock armors that make you look like her, no story unfortunately.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Only for the playstation version, and she just gets quests that unlock armors that make you look like her, no story unfortunately.

yeah, there's story quests for a few of the crossovers like Witcher and FFXIV, but a bunch just get an event quest or two to craft the skins

here's the FFXIV intro cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oAOzEE8J0&t=113s

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Back in the before times whenever the release date for the Sonic movie (future Academy Award nominee) was announced, I made the perhaps ill-advised decision to play through all most of the Sonic games. The most recent entries I've worked through are those on the GBA and I'm suffering from posting withdrawal so here you go have some words!

Sonic Advance 1 is great! While the console games were doing their thing, this game and its successors are a homier continuation of the older 2D games, with vertically expansive stages allowing for multiple routes and the Chaos Emeralds lying hidden in optional special stages rather than featuring in the story. This time however, much like in the Game Gear games, each zone contains its own discrete special stage so you've got to do some serious hunting to find all seven and earn access to the true final boss (I only found two during my casual playthrough!). As was series tradition at that point, you can choose from multiple playable characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and the real star, Amy Rose. The first three broadly play like they did in previous games but have received some new moves to better differentiate them. Everyone gets basic attacks performed while standing still, Sonic can grind on rails and briefly dash in mid-air, and Knuckles can now float in water (not that there's too much of it in this game). Amy, playable for the first time in traditional 2D Sonic, can't actually spin at all and instead relies on her hammer both to attack and move around, taking inspiration from her Adventure moveset but without the speed of cold molasses. There's a learning curve to using her, but I ended up having more fun playing as her than the other three, giant-stepping and hammer-jumping through levels. While the lack of spin makes her more vulnerable to regular enemies, the extra range from her hammer means Amy can tear bosses up. Also, Advance 1 has a bumpin soundtrack even by series standards. Couple of my faves are Secret Base Act 2 and Ice Mountain Act 1.

Sonic Advance 2 is good! Level design-wise you can definitely see a move toward the speed-focused "just hold right" gameplay the portable Sonics (mostly developed by Dimps at this point) would become stigmatized for, epitomized by the introduction of a basic boost mode, but, well, I haven't gotten to too many of those games yet so here it feels fresh and cool. Each act even starts with your character getting jazzed up and sprinting out the gate from a track start block, which is a frankly rad idea. Many of the 3D games will have your character begin the level running in a kinda media res manner, but something about seeing Tails or Cream psyche themselves up first adds some fun flavor. Speaking of, Advance 2 adds a new, somewhat underused friend to the franchise, Cream the Rabbit and her chao Cheese. I didn't really have any opinions regarding her whatsoever before playing these GBA games but uh she owns?? She combines Tails' flight (which she does with her ears) with long range attacks via Cheese. Like you just stand there and say sic em and Cheese bops the nearest enemy on screen. This trivializes bosses lol, but that's fine because as forums friend sharrrk pointed out, the five characters track to five different soft difficulty modes: Cream is Very Easy, Tails is Easy (flight is busted), Sonic is Normal, Knuckles is Hard (climbing and gliding aside, he's got a noticeably lower jump and not as many exclusive routes as S3&K), and Amy is Very Hard. Amy's capabilities versus bosses have been dampened a bit because, just as the levels themselves are more speed-focused, almost every boss fight is now an autoscroller! This is something the series kinda sampled in earlier entries, particularly Mushroom Hill Act 2 and Death Egg Act 2, and is an idea I'd love to see more of. The constant running just feels very appropriate to Sonic, much moreso than standing around waiting for a ball to swing over your head. Unfortunately, a big downside to this game is the special stage. I can't actually comment on the stage itself because I never found any! Entering any special stages requires you to, in one go without losing any lives, find all seven Special Rings in a given act. Unlocking the true final boss requires just beating the game with all four starting characters and finding all seven emeralds with Sonic. Unlocking Amy, a secret character for some reason, requires going further beyond and finding all seven emeralds with all four characters. I'm unashamed to say I just downloaded a completed save file!

Sonic Advance 3 is, interesting. I wasn't feeling too hot on it at first because wow it kicks things off with maybe the worst first Sonic level I can remember playing! Route 99 sucks. Just an absolute boatload of blind jumps, speed traps, and rude gotchas coupled with a tediously slow stage gimmick. Once you get into the level, at least, as Advance 3 adds in hub areas for each zone with some light exploration puzzles needed before you can play any act or boss. And they're just kinda, there, padding things out between actual instances of gameplay. I suspect they were intended to facilitate practice grounds for your team of choice but there are less obtrusive means of doing so. But anyway once you get past those hurdles Advance 3 does have some cool stuff to speak of, especially the aforementioned teams! Somewhat similarly to Knuckles Chaotix, you select two playable characters at a time, a primary and a secondary, with the secondary giving some kind of ability or buff to the primary. Sonic boosts his partner's top speed, Amy gives her partner a hammer, Cream lets her partner command Cheese themself. The team mechanic is easily the coolest element of Advance 3, culminating in exactly the team-up you'd expect, and also something I'd love to see more of in the future. While later levels are still subject to some blind traps and forks (reminiscent of the GG games), they're a considerable improvement over the beginning of the game, with Ocean Base and Toy Kingdom being my highlights. Advance 3 also, notably, continues the story from Sonic Battle.

Sonic Battle is a weird game and honestly not one I'd recommend to folks who aren't diehard Sonic simps (and have therefore already played it years before me), but I ended up having a great time with it anyway. It's an arena fighter that also, surprisingly, kinda functions as the Sonic franchise's take on the deckbuilder genre that was so hoppin in the early 2000s. The game is divided into episodes where you rotate which character is taking care of a weird robot Sonic finds on the beach. A fighting robot, that learns new moves from battlechips and gains more deck capacity from fighting well and is destined to become the ultimate fighting machine, but may learn a little something about friendship along the way. The big draw for me originally was the promise of tons of character dialogue, perhaps the most of any Sonic game besides Chronicles?? But the gameplay feels pretty good once you start to nail comboing your opponent so hard they get flung into a wall and bounce off into the air allowing you to spike them into the ground. The big downside is just how tedious the game can get: almost every fight is secretly a two-parter where your opponent gets back up after your first win and starts taking things seriously, so you fight them again but with twice the KOs needed for victory in round two (most fights are basically Smash Bros stock matches). In addition, simply winning a fight only earns you +1 skill points with Emerl, the robot. Winning without getting KO'd at all yourself gets you...+2. Winning without getting hurt at all gets you +5. The SP needed to equip any given move can range from 5 to 30 so, as Emerl has twenty-seven different slots for abilities, you may have a lot of grinding in your future. Any early game fight where you have to play as Emerl, before you have many cards or the SP to equip them, is brutal. All that aside though, the story is exactly the kind of goofy character interactions I wanted, up until the bonkers ending that fortunately gets a proper conclusion in Advance 3. Spoilers for a sixteen year old game: Emerl tethers itself to whoever it considers to be The Strongest, and will only listen to them. For most of the game this is Sonic, but at the very end, after Emerl has attained its final form, Eggman makes his move and demonstrates a new superweapon of his by destroying a star somewhere off in space, to prove he is The Strongest. Unfortunately he didn't realize that apparently Emerl can consider things to be The Strongest, not just people, so it tethers to the doomsday weapon instead and decides it must destroy the Earth. Sonic manages to stop it, but at the cost of his new friend/child-figure's life. Great!

That was a whole lot of words to get to the real point of this post, which is that I really like the aesthetic and spritework of the GBA Sonic Games. Because I've been stuck at home since March, I figured now was as good a time as any to learn how to extract and animate sprite-based stuff from games I like, so have some Sonic gifs in roughly the order made.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i voted for nude wario

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Do any of you know where these vtubers get their stuff made, like any good artists for commissioning a live2d thing

This person did one of the HololiveEN's rigging and I think another? they're Japanese though so the language barrier might pose a problem if you wanted to try asking em for one. https://twitter.com/keffiy/status/1307698510158913536

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

These sprites couldn't have been better timed. I have a use for all of them, thank you.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

those are some pretty dang good sprites

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

These sprites couldn't have been better timed. I have a use for all of them, thank you.

i can't believe a contributor for the sonic wiki posts here!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dragoon armor and Gae Bolg? That doesn't give you a jump attack does it lol

I haven't played MHW since release, maybe I should check back in on it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
good morning looper

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of sick crossovers

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Looper posted:

also i voted for nude wario

i voted for bowsette. Thank you for the shout out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of sick crossovers

:chloe:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Which religion worships the Turtles?

I wanna know so I can join.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Good morning chat thread

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dragoon armor and Gae Bolg? That doesn't give you a jump attack does it lol

I haven't played MHW since release, maybe I should check back in on it

It gives you a jump emote that can be used to dodge attacks with very good timing

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Monster Hunter / Witcher 3 crossover would be cool if the monster didn't suck.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lets hang out posted:

It gives you a jump emote that can be used to dodge attacks with very good timing

lol better than the actual jump in FF14 on that front then

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the Gae Bolg is an insect glaive also which does have tons of jump attacks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about how suikoden 2 has an implied blowjob scene early on

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Saga Frontier 2 has a scene where you bust a dude's door down when he's about to gently caress a slime

You then, naturally, kill the slime

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

Saga Frontier 2 has a scene where you bust a dude's door down when he's about to gently caress a slime

You then, naturally, kill the slime

To Kill A Metal Slime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HOLY poo poo

The job system...

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1315751788860014593

Also I think I read somewhere that the Battle menu used to have another thing instead of "Etc." but because someone on Twitter mentioned that it almost spelled "SEGA" they changed it?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

why is there a magic stat in yakuza

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HOLY poo poo

The job system...

Also I think I read somewhere that the Battle menu used to have another thing instead of "Etc." but because someone on Twitter mentioned that it almost spelled "SEGA" they changed it?

I need it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

why is there a magic stat in yakuza

To determine how powerful your spells are

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yakuza 7 might be my first yakuza game....

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

yakuza 7 might be my first yakuza game....

You should play a Yakuza game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

To determine how powerful your spells are

why are there spells in yakuza

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HOLY poo poo

The job system...

Guess I know what november release i'm going to be playing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

why are there spells in yakuza

I've never played them because they are Bad but don't you have offensive buffs and stuff in the other ones?