Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Btw the proof that space invaders are antifa going around twitter is that the shooter‘s “local antifa group” has memes of space invaders aliens saying things like “racism is bad” on their website. This is actually true. Except the “local antifa group” in question is located in Vienna, Austria. Their name is WIEN ANTIFA and their site is entirely in german. Chuds live in an alternate reality.

Or he’s an austrian operative undercover in the Pinkertons.

Look, Operation Gladio has a really long tail to it, ok?

edit: This is also my content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheMostFrench posted:

I thought this had that "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like" energy.

Okay I'm gonna try to translate this one. I think he's basically trying to say six different policy ideas at once, several of them being very specific and most of them being very misinformed.

'Buy everyone a bitcoin'=Fairly self-evident, I think he wants this rebate to be paid in Bitcoin for the usual Bitcoin reasons.
'Start court case into gay labor for poison tap water'=So I think this is related to, in late 2018, Australia's Chief Medical Officer saying kind of out of nowhere that Australia's drinking water is safe from lead poisoning, but if you're concerned then run your tap for about thirty seconds to clean it out--I can find a Queensland newspaper getting really up in arms about this one. The Labor Party had nothing to do with that, though, so he could be talking about something else, or just going conspiracy theory.
'Start fish farming to put back fish stolen'=I can't find anything specific about this, so I'm betting this is an EXTREMELY local issue that this guy is EXTREMELY passionate about.
'Feed the bloody ibis our queensland bird'=The ibis is not Queensland's state bird, the brolga is. The brolga seems to be generally fine, Australia's ibis populations are all over the place, but neither is suffering from a lack of food.
'Or we be all in the bin soon'=Obviously none of these issues are big, but Deb Frecklington's seat is fairly rural, so this is probably a guy from the middle of nowhere that's convinced his very specific observed issues are massive calamities.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Oct 12, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nuclear War posted:

Am I having a stroke?

No, that's just what the Coalition does to your brain.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cleretic posted:

'Start court case into gay labor for poison tap water'=So I think this is related to, in late 2018, Australia's Chief Medical Officer saying kind of out of nowhere that Australia's drinking water is safe from lead poisoning, but if you're concerned then run your tap for about thirty seconds to clean it out--I can find a Queensland newspaper getting really up in arms about this one. The Labor Party had nothing to do with that, though, so he could be talking about something else, or just going conspiracy theory.

But where does the "gay" part factor into it? Or do they want to investigate someone called "Gay Labor"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Scratch Monkey posted:

But where does the "gay" part factor into it? Or do they want to investigate someone called "Gay Labor"?

They're Australian, and probably older, it's probably just a random insult. But they're also from Queensland, so it's equally likely they have an actual vendetta of some kind against an openly gay Labor member.

That part is definitely the one I understand the least, though, so I could be entirely wrong.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got a Trump ad on the top of the YouTube home page warning that Biden and Harris are going to “cancel” you.

It’s awesome that in a historic pandemic and economic crisis, the campaign of the party in power is based on their social media posts not getting enough likes.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Oct 12, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing no Americans have been cancelled under Trump’s watch

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/metrouknews/status/1315386448523276288?s=21

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ctrlshifti/status/1315186075581644800

OP not the idiot.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

another reason vbulletin style forums are the best and twitter is terrible

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1315672313459859457

Have I got some news for you, Tim!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

joe is not the idiot

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1315535611181195264

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Protestants and Catholics united in telling Tim Pool he isn't irish

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

carmack is literally a sociopath

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tim Pool (he's in the ra)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I don't really know enough about code to get what she's trying to do (looks like it's just a flag for odd/even numbers) but not if there is an easier way - is there a joke she was making and dudes are missing it or was she genuinely looking for help and dudes just keep blowing her up?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You could write the code to do what she's doing (telling you whether a number is even or not) in about two lines.

She's being deliberately obtuse in order to be funny

Replyguys are of course like "Well you KNOW :smuggo:"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

You could write the code to do what she's doing (telling you whether a number is even or not) in about two lines.

She's being deliberately obtuse in order to be funny

Replyguys are of course like "Well you KNOW :smuggo:"

Got it, thanks - I figured that's what it was from the context but I'm stupid when it comes to coding. And twitter.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
She basically pulled a really good KenM, but with the goal of getting dudes to mansplain coding to her. Really liking some of the comments that play along coming up with the least efficient ways to do dead simple things.

edit : Maybe not the goal, but the inevitable side effect.

Tony Phillips has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't really know enough about code to get what she's trying to do (looks like it's just a flag for odd/even numbers) but not if there is an easier way - is there a joke she was making and dudes are missing it or was she genuinely looking for help and dudes just keep blowing her up?

It’s a hilariously bad way of doing it (manually telling the computer every single number and which is even versus odd) and obviously a joke. But girl can’t code!!!

(The right response of course is “does it compile? good enough!”)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

She posted a really stupid way to determine if a number is even as joke. Basically her algorithm is "check the number against a list of every even and odd number to determine whether it's even or odd".

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

One common way to solve her issue is to use a modulo, often expressed as the % sign. So when this was suggested later she carried on the bit by stating that she was not looking for percentages of anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm an idiot but I also know I'm an idiot so I just assumed that it actually is really hard to determine if a number is even or odd with computers :shobon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThJcHjCI9j4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now is the part where we all jokesplain

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

some of the "helpful" solutions she got don't even make sense

https://twitter.com/ctrlshifti/status/1315204816583323648

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yeah, the problem is that the function has a lot of repeat code, but also if/then slides are really wasteful. Generally, you'd try to use a more efficient approach.

Python code:
def is_even(number: int) -> bool:
    ending_to_even = {
        '0': True,
        '1': False,
        '2': True,
        '3': False,
        '4': True,
        '5': False,
        '6': True,
        '7': False,
        '8': True,
        '9': False
    }
    return ending_to_even[str(number)[-1:]]
See, you only need to look at the last part of a number to deduce whether it is even or not. So you can basically write this implementation in two lines, as Data Graham has said. (It's in multiple lines for readability, but this is two lines of actual code)

:v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The second part of the tweet is also funny:

https://twitter.com/ctrlshifti/status/1288746344727773184

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:hmmyes:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OP not the idiot.

https://twitter.com/reporterjoe/status/1315686666087133184

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm an idiot but I also know I'm an idiot so I just assumed that it actually is really hard to determine if a number is even or odd with computers :shobon:

it is so extraordinarily easy to do that you can come up with all kinds of really stupid elaborate ways to do it to bait people into making arrogant replies. it's the kind of thing a programmer might gently caress around with for giggles, to find really absurd ways to tell if a number is even or odd

it reminds me of this, people coming up with garbage designs for volume control

https://uxdesign.cc/the-worst-volume-control-ui-in-the-world-60713dc86950

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Obfuscated code contests" are a thing, and a hilarious way to waste time

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

luxury handset posted:

it is so extraordinarily easy to do that you can come up with all kinds of really stupid elaborate ways to do it to bait people into making arrogant replies. it's the kind of thing a programmer might gently caress around with for giggles, to find really absurd ways to tell if a number is even or odd

it reminds me of this, people coming up with garbage designs for volume control

https://uxdesign.cc/the-worst-volume-control-ui-in-the-world-60713dc86950

I saw in the wild on a real site a telephone number field with an up and down arrow so you could increment or decrement your phone number by one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1315672313459859457?s=20

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Btw the proof that space invaders are antifa going around twitter is that the shooter‘s “local antifa group” has memes of space invaders aliens saying things like “racism is bad” on their website. This is actually true. Except the “local antifa group” in question is located in Vienna, Austria. Their name is WIEN ANTIFA and their site is entirely in german. Chuds live in an alternate reality.

This new apparent "SPACE INVADERS = ANTIFA" makes me wonder how chuds would react if this happened today...probably with murder!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_panic

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thank you for your valiant effort translating from bogan rant into forums readable material. Here are a couple of other bits that could help understand things.

Cleretic posted:

This could also be about fluoride, lots of nutters get up in arms about that.

Cleretic posted:

'Feed the bloody ibis our queensland bird'=The ibis is not Queensland's state bird, the brolga is. The brolga seems to be generally fine, Australia's ibis populations are all over the place, but neither is suffering from a lack of food.
'Or we be all in the bin soon'=Obviously none of these issues are big, but Deb Frecklington's seat is fairly rural, so this is probably a guy from the middle of nowhere that's convinced his very specific observed issues are massive calamities.

The ibis was probably used due to the nickname of bin chicken which ties nicely into his next point about all being in the bin.

I'm at a loss on the fish thing too unless it's about general commercial overfishing which is definitely a huge problem for the planet but not one that local fish farming is going to fix.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The first way is fine, you just need to loop while number > 10, subtract 10 first then you only need to check the numbers 1-10 instead of hundreds of values.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Stoatbringer posted:

The first way is fine, you just need to loop while number > 10, subtract 10 first then you only need to check the numbers 1-10 instead of hundreds of values.

There was another good looping solution in the comments:

https://twitter.com/jitspoe/status/1313459723610578945

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
code:
private static boolean isEven(int val) {
    boolean wasEven = false;
    while (val < ++val) {
        wasEven = !wasEven;
    }
    return wasEven;
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Functional programming is cool and good.
code:
isOdd = \n -> let flags = True : False : flags in if n > 0 then head $ reverse $ take n flags else not $ isOdd (n + 1)
isEven = \n -> not $ isOdd n