Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

carry on then posted:

Dumb question, how do I showpost? I don't have platinum if it requires that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=508885629 I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So, trying to edit my post when it’s the only post showing immediately after actually making the post says “you are editing your own post” with the option to delete draft and nothing else. Can’t type in the text box and the post has been made, it just hasn’t loaded the rest of the thread.

E:unless there’s a post made between starting the post and posting it that it hasn’t loaded yet, if it’s got any other posts to show this doesn’t happen.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Right.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh it's an action instead of a different php file. Got it, thanks everyone, with this I should be able to get the pink star showing, but not custom icons. IKs will get their grey star too.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 13, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Awesome, thanks!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

IK Star could maybe stand to be lighter on the dark background but otherwise I think these work pretty well as is

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It's fine, OLED theme is amazing and good but it doesn't need to be literally as black as can be everywhere.

Thanks!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oh, I meant going the other way and making it a little lighter to better contrast the background. But it's marginal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

shortspecialbus posted:

It's fine, OLED theme is amazing and good but it doesn't need to be literally as black as can be everywhere.

Thanks!

Do not listen to this heretic, make it even darker

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Warbird posted:

:black101:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OLED theme should use HomeLink or whatever to dim nearby lights.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Warbird posted:

Bug: turns phone into active black hole

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

You'll have to wait for the Vantablack iPhone, sorry.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Achmed Jones posted:

Confirmed- switching threads also fixes it

Thanks for confirming!

Solarin posted:

Any way to turn off the save draft prompt when backing out of writing a post? It's a bit cumbersome, at least for the way I make posts

Not at the moment. I probably overcorrected here, so I might scale it down a bit. If not then I'm open to adding a setting for it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Clicking through from a rap sheet or quote is still bringing up the unread posts in the thread instead of taking me to the correct post- but only in bookmarked threads. If I’ve read the thread but not bookmarked it it’s working as normal.

:thunk: good to know, will check it out!

Dr. Shithead posted:

No need to apologize, was just curious if it was gone for good or just something happened that was temporary. Definitely don’t lose any sleep over it because the app is incredible even with the inevitable idiosyncrasies. If I knew anything about app programming/design I’d be more helpful but still would like to offer my support/help for sicker implementation or updating. Happy to compile or whatever dumb tedious task you might need that would make it easier for you to get them bad boys back up- either way thank you so much for making this app and continuing to work on it.

:) no worries! I think I know what I wanna do, just gotta do it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So, trying to edit my post when it’s the only post showing immediately after actually making the post says “you are editing your own post” with the option to delete draft and nothing else. Can’t type in the text box and the post has been made, it just hasn’t loaded the rest of the thread.

E:unless there’s a post made between starting the post and posting it that it hasn’t loaded yet, if it’s got any other posts to show this doesn’t happen.

Huh. Will check that out too! Appreciate the detail.

carry on then posted:

IK Star could maybe stand to be lighter on the dark background but otherwise I think these work pretty well as is

❤️ will get this into a beta shortly!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

https://youtu.be/v0nmHymgM7Y

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I just updated and stars seem to be working fine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Brain Curry posted:

I just updated and stars seem to be working fine

What timing, it just got approved! Working well for me too, so it's release time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you're welcome for like 4 lines of css

unfortunately that means it'll be a decent bit of work to support all these different custom icons people have

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The app has been acting up for me as of late. If I switch back to Awful from another app (like my browser) after having tapped on a link to something it will reload the page I’m on, mark everything read, and lose my position. The page will be very glitchy until I switch pages or go to another thread.

Experiencing this mainly on iPad.

(I think I look at too many threads with Twitter embeds and after a while it’ll happen. I can’t replicate it right now.)

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 15, 2020

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I seemed to have cleared the issue by restarting the iPad and quitting the app. It may happen due to the app being used a lot, I’m not sure. Next time I’ll record a video.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I tried to post an image from my phone but a message popped up about an error with the imgur API

Also, how do I close a thread on the app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adding an image directly to a post from camera roll makes it impossible to see text when you start typing on my 6s+.
I have to slam the return button to see anything as the text field no longer scrolls down after the image is pasted

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a foolproof way to copy animated images out of the app and have them drop into iMessage?
I feel like sometimes they resize sometimes I do selection mojo and copy paste works, sometimes I only get the first frame, etc.

I may be running into size limitations or something breaks when it makes the plist in iMessage. I just want to send funny (sometimes animated) images to people who aren’t goons!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I keep posting replies to the thread I was reading before the thread I’m trying to reply to, have I turned stupid or is there something going on?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

I keep posting replies to the thread I was reading before the thread I’m trying to reply to, have I turned stupid or is there something going on?

What specific steps are you taking when this happens? There might be some subtle state bug.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hed posted:

Is there a foolproof way to copy animated images out of the app and have them drop into iMessage?
I feel like sometimes they resize sometimes I do selection mojo and copy paste works, sometimes I only get the first frame, etc.

I may be running into size limitations or something breaks when it makes the plist in iMessage. I just want to send funny (sometimes animated) images to people who aren’t goons!

What's an image that didn't copy what you expected?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
In the smiley list/menu in the app almost every smiley is shown twice, like 70% of the smileys. Is there a reason for this?
It makes the already very long list of smileys a lot longer than it needs to be and makes it hard to find the appropriate smileys.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is there a way to tell what the stars mean? Maybe if you open someone’s profile in the app, it just says “Admin” or “idiot king” somewhere?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m noticing I’m frequently losing the top “previous posts” bar when entering a thread from my bookmarks page that isn’t a full page of posts (midway through a page). Hopefully that description makes sense.

iPhone X, iOS 14.0.1, latest store-released app version

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Not an issue, but I just wanna say I really appreciate the app in general and that it's still so actively supported. I was thinking about my experiences trying to browse the forums on my first smartphone, the Nokia N78, and how much of a joke that was compared to using the Awful app now.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’d love a way to create my own names/nicknames for sub forums. There are some really stupid names like “DOTA” for Games and whatnot. I can just memorize what dumb as hell name goes with which sub forum but maybe this can be a feature if it isn’t a lot of work.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I don’t know if this is the app, SA, iOS, or YouTube but the previews in portrait aren’t showing the whole video, while in landscape they do.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Negative unread counts are interesting. iOS 14, whatever latest public release is.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I noticed that Super Mods finally have their stars shown in this app so I just thought I'd swing by this thread to give you an attaboy! :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IKs too :shobon:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There is a new star if you folks want to support that one too.

It can be seen here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=509124688

At some point I imagine we'll get the Apps forum going again, which should make communicating these things easier.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

astral posted:

It can be seen here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=509124688

At some point I imagine we'll get the Apps forum going again, which should make communicating these things easier.

Pushed a commit for this. I'm also looking to including the role in the user profile somewhere. Pokeyman, if I add fields to an AwfulManagedObject is there any migration code I need to write for everything that's already in the DataStore or will that just work?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

astral posted:

With all these new stars going around, can I have a star for "being shortspecialbus" please?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shortspecialbus posted:

With all these new stars going around, can I have a star for "being shortspecialbus" please?

You’ll always have a star in my heart, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I think someone mentioned it before but sharing an image from the awful app to slack (and maybe elsewhere) doesn’t allow for a user to come back to the app. The share option menu freeze above the app and can’t be dismissed