Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/omarupolka/status/1315810336327438341

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Amelia trying to crack the Redstone Code based entirely on sentence fragments from chat is pretty funny

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

Amelia trying to crack the Redstone Code based entirely on sentence fragments from chat is pretty funny

I love how absolutely serious she is about doing all this testing in single player as to not waste a single drop of that precious red stone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1315492784552308736?s=19

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah, to be more clear i guess, my point isnt that I think the hololive girls are being paid terrible wages. its more that if hololive is incredibly profitable (and it seems like it is!) the money should mostly be going to them, regardless of how much they're already making. we just finished talking about how covercorp doesn't buy them their own gear, really, so I'm not nearly as confident that they're very good at supporting talent. even if they're being paid really well, that should keep going up as long as cover's profits go up.

its more of a general grouse at the idea that cover Needs More Infrastructure instead of just refocusing the infrastructure it has around better supporting talent w/r/t gear and security. vtubing is not a thing that I needs more middle management

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm honestly afraid that HoloLive and the other 1 or 2 V-Tuber companies are going to end up turning the whole scene into the toxic, miserable Idol culture in Asia, or the WWE in America where everyone is miserable almost all the time and "The brand is the star" so talent feels pressured to stay because they'd lose almost everything if they ended up leaving. I'm all for alternatives, just grab a couple big names like Coco and the original Kizuna AI and convince an E-Sports team to promote the hell out of them since E-Sports in America is dying and they've already invested a comically huge amount of money for no return. There's always venture capitalists in America looking to dump comical amounts of money into something they barely understand

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

yeah, to be more clear i guess, my point isnt that I think the hololive girls are being paid terrible wages. its more that if hololive is incredibly profitable (and it seems like it is!) the money should mostly be going to them

Haha, not a chance in hell, welcome to artist agencies/labels.

That's precisely why they should do merch and so on, because then they get to keep more of the money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Big fan of Amelia going off on backseat gaming while still begging them to do it because she knows nothing

Girl has made so many attempts to make her house look nice but half of it's still made out of dirt :lol:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sindai posted:

Now she's super salty at backseat gamers. I think she needs her own pikipiki pepper.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Varinn posted:

yeah, to be more clear i guess, my point isnt that I think the hololive girls are being paid terrible wages. its more that if hololive is incredibly profitable (and it seems like it is!) the money should mostly be going to them, regardless of how much they're already making. we just finished talking about how covercorp doesn't buy them their own gear, really, so I'm not nearly as confident that they're very good at supporting talent. even if they're being paid really well, that should keep going up as long as cover's profits go up.

its more of a general grouse at the idea that cover Needs More Infrastructure instead of just refocusing the infrastructure it has around better supporting talent w/r/t gear and security. vtubing is not a thing that I needs more middle management

The lack of staff to check legal and licensing related stuff has caused huge problems multiple times for the talent, at this point I'm pretty sure having a competent legal staff and so on is pretty drat important.

Hololive, well Cover actually, last I looked, was worth around 5 million USD, if we make the (very silly) assumption that all of that valuation somehow translates directly into payroll and that all ~80 employees are paid the same amount we get 62k per-year for each employee.

People get this idea that the girls aren't getting paid much, that Cover is taking all the money and so on but really we know very little and shouldn't be making assumptions in any direction really.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

"i am going to kill you and your family" is also how i deal with younger siblings

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

Big fan of Amelia going off on backseat gaming while still begging them to do it because she knows nothing

Girl has made so many attempts to make her house look nice but half of it's still made out of dirt :lol:

My houses in minecraft are holes in the ground with a single wooden hatch for an entrance and that's how we like them!

Now, my auto-farming contraptions do get the love they need and look pretty dope. But the base? a hole it is.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

trucutru posted:

Haha, not a chance in hell, welcome to artist agencies/labels.

That's precisely why they should do merch and so on, because then they get to keep more of the money.

Given the horror stories of how music labels treat their talent, a 50/50 split with some wages sounds good and less prone to chicanery.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Phobophilia posted:

at some point they're going to graduate from minecraft to modded minecraft to factorio the way i did

I'm holding out for hololiveEN Dwarf Fortress, personally.

KoB
May 1, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I'm honestly afraid that HoloLive and the other 1 or 2 V-Tuber companies are going to end up turning the whole scene into the toxic, miserable Idol culture in Asia, or the WWE in America where everyone is miserable almost all the time and "The brand is the star" so talent feels pressured to stay because they'd lose almost everything if they ended up leaving.

I get what youre saying but making another youtube channel is a little easier than starting a new wrestling group.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The lack of staff to check legal and licensing related stuff has caused huge problems multiple times for the talent, at this point I'm pretty sure having a competent legal staff and so on is pretty drat important.

They only ran into issues because being part of a corporation has different rules than just being a dude on youtube.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

trucutru posted:

The faceplates write themselves.

Regular Peko / Smug Peko / The consequences of my actions

Regular Marine / Sleeping Baba / I am horny (Comes with Aqua's R18 doujin prop)

And so on.

Nendoroids take quite a while to actually get made. Based on the time frame of their other nendos its anywhere between 8 months to a year from promo art to prototype ready for preorder. And then from there its 3-6 months before they get released. I've had nendos that I've had preordered since march that aren't coming out until this fall/winter. My guess would be that Hololive's been working with Good Smile since last year/early this year to get these made and they've finally decided on a prototype to unveil. That said Good Smile will make bank when Matsuri, Aqua and Fubuki go up for preorder.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Varinn posted:

I agree in spirit, but I also don't think Hololive has all the infrastructure in place to even support the backend of normal operations yet. See how long it's taking them to get the archives of videos un-privated. Also mods for chat.

And there are a number of operations that take place beyond normal streaming. Music production, procuring new or updated avatars, conventional television appearances, game collabs like Azur Lane or the Vanguard card game, VA work for anime or their own Hololive shorts, spokesperson appearances for curry, Sega, Delight Works, Cygames, etc.

I know most of that stuff doesn't matter to some fans and even distracts from the primary entertainment from normal streams, but there are at least some Hololive members that want to do stuff beyond daily streams.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 13, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

There's plenty of indie Vtubers already. It's just that people mostly haven't heard of them because they lack the marketing and networking power of an agency.

Hell, there's even former indie Vtubers among the Hololive lineup. Before she joined Hololive, Suisei spent a year as an independent Vtuber who made her own avatar and wrote her own songs, all without any help. Yet she still thought Cover brought enough to the table to join up.

The Hololive brand is making a big difference, especially in the last couple of generations. Some Gen5 members had six-digit subscriber numbers before their debut streams, based on nothing but their character designs and their Hololive affiliation.

Yeah the dog cat shark and detective were all vtubers before joining hololive

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
minecraft is such a huge multiplier for views: Ame has 24k while Gura is pulling 45k

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KoB posted:

They only ran into issues because being part of a corporation has different rules than just being a dude on youtube.

Actually they ran into issues because Japanese copyright law, they don't have fair use over there so individuals can run into exactly the same problems that corporations like Cover ran into.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jerkface posted:

minecraft is such a huge multiplier for views: Ame has 24k while Gura is pulling 45k

Hell, Ame was at like 34k before Gura started and at that point she'd been going for a few hours

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I like how both Ame and Gura are looking for each other in their gigantic tunnel system, and are completely incapable of finding anything whatsoever in a structure technically of their own making

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jerkface posted:

Gura's at 56k, almost 57k now.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZh9YzmYHs

reminder of the best minecraft clip

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I get the feeling Gura is going to move atlantis to near the EN village because of that trench.

E: Wait is she even near the settlement? I swapped to Amelia for a bit. Yes, yes she is.

Also Amelia and her OCD at naming everything lol

Lyer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 13, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It's kinda wild how much cooler nijisanji is about their talent.

Openly gay? Cool

Trans? Rad

Non binary? Come on down

Just a salary man? K

In general niji seems like a much more welcoming place. Though I'm sure they have had their share of scandals. Part of it is that info is a bit harder to find, at least for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was not expecting Minecraft to be the game that frustrated Gura enough she'd break character and swear

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Tabletops posted:

Openly gay? Cool

Trans? Rad

Non binary? Come on down

Just a salary man? K

In general niji seems like a much more welcoming place. Though I'm sure they have had their share of scandals. Part of it is that info is a bit harder to find, at least for me.

The running half-joke is "Nijisanji is so warm~" and it fits to a T. There's been some scandals here and there but they've mostly all converted into in-jokes (see: Maimoto). The only actual, honest-to-god disaster in Nijisanji I can think of was some idiot that got hired and then immediately started leaking the others' personal info and even that's bygones now (he got fired).

Nijisanji's more of a variety show while Hololive's still got that idol worship thing going (and therefore all the associated problems).

Speaking of variety show, check out Lever Gacha Daipan sometimes! Yashiro and Sasaki hosts guests for games and it's a riot.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 13, 2020

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tabletops posted:

Openly gay? Cool

Trans? Rad

Non binary? Come on down

Just a salary man? K

who's the trans nijisanji vtuber. I can think of who you're referring to for everyone else

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Melissa Kinrenka is nonbinary.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

...oh, about variety shows. I’ve only watched a handful of nihilism clips, and my exposure to that style is very limited. would it be fair to say the peanut gallery on Terrace House is similar to a Japanese variety show?

are there other widely subtitled things like that? or am I off in my assumptions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tabletops posted:

Openly gay? Cool

Trans? Rad

Non binary? Come on down

Just a salary man? K

I know about Mirei, Crossick, and Melissa, is there anyone else I should check out?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jerkface posted:

you only need to look at someone like Polka who has gotten popular (200k+ subs) 3 times now compared to a normie vtuber/streamer.

Don't expand on this, but reading this makes me really anxious. Is she going to jump ship again? I hope the previous two times starting over has been due to other factors and not just "felt like it" or "got bored", I hope Hololive can be her forever home.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Don't expand on this, but reading this makes me really anxious. Is she going to jump ship again? I hope the previous two times starting over has been due to other factors and not just "felt like it" or "got bored", I hope Hololive can be her forever home.

Well I think she is gonna be fine. She is thriving. (She used to be under Upd8 the kizuna ai company and from what I've read they may have had her vtube character doing stuff without her piloting it, and she was mostly doing content creation not streams. Her life under holo is much different!)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
well, talent have moved from upd8/niji to hololive but not vice versa. where would your next destination be. unicreate...?!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Huh, that explains a lot about her. She does some pretty creative/interesting stuff and really knows when to turn it up and tone it down. I wish there were more translated clips of hers, by far and away my favorite of the 5th gen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Polka definitely owns. She is very savvy, especially with her Universal Language polmanteaus

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Polka is one of the most professional members of hololive and she'll do fine. She seems pretty happy with her clown character and the freedom it gives her (and she's kinda mellowing out, which is the opposite of pretty much everybody else, which I find funny)

Overall, Hololive is a great signal booster and it has helped the talent a lot, even if cover sucks at many other things. You only need to listen to Marine's employment stories or pretty much anything Kanata. Sure, some of them could have likely made it on their own (or had already done so, or have an alt that is doing fine) but for many/most it is a great opportunity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lyer posted:

Huh, that explains a lot about her. She does some pretty creative/interesting stuff and really knows when to turn it up and tone it down. I wish there were more translated clips of hers, by far and away my favorite of the 5th gen.

I started translating her more serious moments for this reason. Nobody else does, and I don't understand why. The story reading stream she had the night after this Sunday? The story itself was 25 minutes, and then she spent 45 minutes talking about her own life and experiences with clocks and time. (And I have no reason to believe it isn't all genuine, with only tiny kayfabe adjustments.) Several of us in the Polka fans Discord agreed we want to translate it all, one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

nielsm posted:

I started translating her more serious moments for this reason. Nobody else does, and I don't understand why. The story reading stream she had the night after this Sunday? The story itself was 25 minutes, and then she spent 45 minutes talking about her own life and experiences with clocks and time. (And I have no reason to believe it isn't all genuine, with only tiny kayfabe adjustments.) Several of us in the Polka fans Discord agreed we want to translate it all, one way or another.

fwiw i love your translations and am glad you do them. keep it up!