Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

necrobobsledder posted:

One of the world's oldest companies is Zildjian, which originally started as a copper mine IIRC.

I thought the Hudson’s Bay Company was older, but it’s 1670 vs 1623.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Zildjian and HBC aren't even in the running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong%C5%8D_Gumi

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was tempted today...

I saw that they had some Rockstar "Cyberpunk Cola" thing and I thought, "why not". When they were running a promotional for 2015's Mad Max game, Rockstar quenched my savage thirst; when they had a limited edition run of Gears of War 5-branded cans, I drank deep even though I've never followed Gears' complex story. So I bought a couple of them.

They're like 125% of your DRV of sugar. In each can.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Zildjian and HBC aren't even in the running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong%C5%8D_Gumi

how the gently caress does that even happen? like holy gently caress, that and old as gently caress company. like even the company that bought them in 107 years old. whats the oldest corperation in the US. i know Disney will be a hundred this decade but thats it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/oldest-companies-on-earth-2014-8#founded-803-stiftskeller-st-peter-in-salzburg-austria-2

drat.

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/8122-oldest-companies-in-america.html

outside some banks and contruction. most of the old stuff are resturaunts.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2020

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok that made me smile.

edit hell I nominate it as title. I never liked 'Personal Respawns Ability' (what was that about?)

Just throwing my hat in the ring to agree Cyberpunk 2077: Did Marx study the blade? is a funnier and easier to understand title than the Personal Responsibility joke which I didn't even realise was supposed to be a bad pun.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

Yeah mostly Japan and Germany. Wild.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mods rename to did marx study the blade

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

mods rename to did marx study the blade

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The thing is he actually did. Marx was really into fencing at university and took it up again in London.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

better, then: “Cyberpunk 2077: Marx studied the blade”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The thing is he actually did. Marx was really into fencing at university and took it up again in London.

not surprised. fencing was super big in germany with basicaly anyone who was a dude and went to some uni. its why alot of those nazis have dueling scars because the culture at the time viewed it as manly to get a scar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_scar

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

“Cyberpunk 2077: Marx studied the blade”

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not surprised. fencing was super big in germany with basicaly anyone who was a dude and went to some uni. its why alot of those nazis have dueling scars because the culture at the time viewed it as manly to get a scar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_scar

Love the fact that one of the digital foundry nerds has a dueling scar. Or at least I think that's what it is.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. That was just the first source I found for it now. I seem to remember it having been reported quite widely at the time?

Almost as though the internet is full of idiots looking for a gotcha and arguing in bad faith

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Which makes it funnier.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
While I was studying the value form

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Out here distributing Conquest Of Bread to the corpos with a four gauge shotgun

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

“Cyberpunk 2077: Marx studied the blade”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cyberpunk 2077: Did Marx study the blade? Yes, yes he did

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

While you were inventing capitalism, Marx studied the blade

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Almost as though the internet is full of idiots looking for a gotcha and arguing in bad faith

This. A lot of clickbait types and “critics” want to be the first to prove that CDPR are evil and or nazis. So why read the actual interview.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cyberpunk 2077: Fighting capitalism with rocker Marx in your head and a nanoedge pink Katana in you hand.

Too long?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ughhhh posted:

Love the fact that one of the digital foundry nerds has a dueling scar. Or at least I think that's what it is.

At least where I'm from and 15 years ago, the fencing club was not a club which the cool kids were a member of. it's definitely fallen from grace a little.
I actually regret not joining it now, it would be fun to know how to swordfight. I did archery instead which was considered much cooler.

I told myself I was going to wait until I had a ps5 to play this but I want to play it so bad already, I don't know how I'm going to wait. If digital foundry put out an article saying the performance and look is 'surprisingly good' on a base ps4 I'm going to immediately order it.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

At least where I'm from and 15 years ago, the fencing club was not a club which the cool kids were a member of. it's definitely fallen from grace a little.
I actually regret not joining it now, it would be fun to know how to swordfight. I did archery instead which was considered much cooler.

Do both ! I did the opposite, took up fencing, started archery last year. Be careful though, it's a gateway sport. Before you know it you'll be doing HEMA and historical reenactment with some nerds in a field.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People have really done a 180 on Cyberpunk. There was a time where it was the poster child of PC gaming, and now people are tripping over themselves to talk about how they think it will the shittiest game this year.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I said come in! posted:

People have really done a 180 on Cyberpunk. There was a time where it was the poster child of PC gaming, and now people are tripping over themselves to talk about how they think it will the shittiest game this year.

I feel like this is kinda standard for extended anticipation cycles

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah for W3 it was bullshit about a graphics downgrade to make the game playable and not just a trailer. At least this time it's about worker's rights and unsafe workplace conditions.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
subcultural backlash to something that has gained mainstream popularity? in this economy??!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

popewiles posted:

I feel like this is kinda standard for extended anticipation cycles

Some games that also took 7+ years:

TF2 - 9 years
Starcraft 2 - 7 years
LA Noire - 7 years
Spore - 8 years
Nuke Nukem Forever - 15 years

And of course, the brunt of every development joke for almost 25 years...wait! Daikatana was only in development for THREE YEARS!?!?!?

Anywho, if CDPR botch the job, I'll be really surprised. And if they botch it and don't fix it six months later, I'll be even more surprised.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think Cyberpunk is 2077 may be a great game, or maybe it will not be a great game. I am confident it will be a game.

Thank you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Some games that also took 7+ years:

TF2 - 9 years
Starcraft 2 - 7 years
LA Noire - 7 years
Spore - 8 years
Nuke Nukem Forever - 15 years

And of course, the brunt of every development joke for almost 25 years...wait! Daikatana was only in development for THREE YEARS!?!?!?

Anywho, if CDPR botch the job, I'll be really surprised. And if they botch it and don't fix it six months later, I'll be even more surprised.

Daikatana was basically solely because of this right:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hobbesmaster posted:

Daikatana was basically solely because of this right:

Naw, that was pretty standard fare for the time.

It was that he promised the game would be made in 7 months and it took 3 years. :shrug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think Cyberpunk is 2077 may be a great game, or maybe it will not be a great game. I am confident it will be a game.

Thank you.

But what if it turns out to be a spreadsheet app, and it just has a really elaborate UI?

WHAT THEN, smart guy?!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

To quote famous master of philosophy Dexter Holland: Its Cool To Hate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cyberpunk 2077: Blade Runner - Marx Cut

Cyberpunk 2077: Marx studied Blade Runner

Something like that? :cheeky: Or am I mixing metaphors too much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

I've seen a lot of "Cyberpunk isn't the second coming of jesus" posts all year long, and... I agree with them, no game will be! But this game gonna be really good.

There's two things to this,

1: the "normal" (but unhealthy) boom-bust cycle of hype around big game releases. See things like No Man's Sky where people hype a game to oblivion and then it implodes and they're furious it doesn't match expectations.

2: some of these people legit didn't like Witcher 3 (yeah I don't get it either) and so they're like, almost jealous that other gamers are so excited for a game that doesn't appeal to them?

I think the people who were hyped for Cyberpunk are still hyped and the people who weren't still aren't but the former are being quieter and the latter are being louder now. Its all good, game's gonna sell blockbusters.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But what if it turns out to be a spreadsheet app, and it just has a really elaborate UI?

WHAT THEN, smart guy?!

This is basically how Yakuza 0 feels once you get too invested in the real estate minigame

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, in defense of the people who were mad about NMS... Murray did straight up lie about a ton of poo poo. Like it wasn't, "Oh graphical settings got turned down from E3" or "The game wasn't actually all that fun"... poo poo was just straight up non-existent, or not as described.

But yes, the game will be a fun RPG-FPS experience, it's not going to revolutionize vidyagames

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm imagining Marx travelling to 2077 and thinking "finally all my katana training will pay off here in the future" but then he gets his hands on a neon katana and is heavily distressed to discover that in order to make more than 3 perfect cuts a day he has to buy the premium neon katana subscription using the in-hilt microtransaction app which comes in the form of a sexualized cartoon hologram saying "uwu" over and over the future is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

"I'm sorry Marx-sama but you'll need to upgrade to platinum if you want to restore your honor today uwu"