Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Furnaceface posted:

Sutter will be gone and Benning will leave someone you like open for the expansion draft.

Actually, as it stands, Vancouver's probably got more protected slots than they need.

7 Forwards
Pettersson - Horvat - Miller - Boeser - Virtanen - Gaudette - (?)

3 Defensemen
Schmidt - Myers - (?)

1 Goalie
Demko

Neither Hughes nor MacEwen have played two seasons of 13 or more games, so they're not eligible for selection. Pearson, Sutter, Benn, Baertschi and Edler aren't signed beyond this year. Ferland probably won't be eligible for selection due to health issues. Benning could, theoretically, add another forward or defenseman to the roster and have an open protection slot since none of the rookies that make the roster this year need to be protected, either.

Right now, Vancouver's exposed players are Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, Motte and Holtby. In fact, Vancouver may have to find some useless plug defenseman to sign to a cheap contract so they can fulfill the requirements for exposure.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

goldrush posted:

Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Benn, Edler are all UFA after this season and Spooner buyout will be finished, that's more than 20m right there.

Hahaha, oh yeah, like eight million bucks for Baertschi and Sutter.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Really don't like that Pietrangelo signing. It's the first real potential albatross on the roster.

I think they're doing the right thing with Fleury though, it would cost so much to dump his contract and sign a competent replacement. I think it's clearly important to have two good keepers these days, and he was much better when he wasn't having to play every game due to Subban being bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kilza posted:

You realize Hall is a LW, right?

I thought he was a center until like two days ago so :laugh:

You’re right though, only that first one would work I was just writing it backwards. Olofsson is also a LW, so’s Skinner obviously.

I dunno what their lines will look like but it’s gonna be pretty wild. If only they had any good defensemen... still mad about the Pilut debacle.

Edit: besides Dahlin and maybe Miller and Jokiharu. Fire McCabe and Risto into the sun plz. And by the sun I mean Toronto, give us something good for Risto look he’s tall he must be good!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 13, 2020

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
How in the world did Schmidt only get a 3rd round pick, even when it was clear Vegas needed to move him? Also, I thought McPhee was their GM?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

McCrimmon's been there as AGM since the beginning and I think took over right before this season. McPhee is "president of hockey operations" for Vegas now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mike_V posted:

How in the world did Schmidt only get a 3rd round pick, even when it was clear Vegas needed to move him? Also, I thought McPhee was their GM?

He's got a big long contract which is fair rather than a bargain, and there were only so many teams left that could absorb it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm glad Petro got paid. I suspect he's going to age very well and he's super durable so I don't think that contract will ever look that bad.

I think I tentatively prefer Krug's contract over Petro's but man I'll miss that guy

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Because I am a sucker for lists, I bought the Hockey News' Top 100 Defensemen of All-Time. I think their inclusion of active D is...interesting.

79. Josi
76. Giordano
72. Letang
70. Carlson
68. Subban
66. Pietrangelo
61. Suter
50. Hedman
48. Burns
45. Weber
31. Doughty
27. Karlsson
26. Keith
23. Chara

I don't know if I'd put Carlson and Subban on this list. I think Hedman should be higher than Weber at this point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't know if I'd put Carlson and Subban on this list. I think Hedman should be higher than Weber at this point.

A lot of those names that are ahead of Letang are a hearty lol from me

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Erik Karlsson being top 30 is a massive lmfao.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Twin Cinema posted:

Because I am a sucker for lists, I bought the Hockey News' Top 100 Defensemen of All-Time. I think their inclusion of active D is...interesting.

79. Josi
76. Giordano
72. Letang
70. Carlson
68. Subban
66. Pietrangelo
61. Suter
50. Hedman
48. Burns
45. Weber
31. Doughty
27. Karlsson
26. Keith
23. Chara

EA NHL-rear end defenseman ranking

Even though I love John Carlson it's funny he's earned this reputation as a top-tier D-man precisely when his play in his own end has started to decline. Next season is gonna be big for him but I have a feeling this ranking will generate many lols in the future.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Twin Cinema posted:

79. Josi
76. Giordano
72. Letang
70. Carlson
68. Subban
66. Pietrangelo
61. Suter
50. Hedman
48. Burns
45. Weber
31. Doughty
27. Karlsson
26. Keith
23. Chara

This is the look of a list that has Bryan McCabe in the top 10.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1316040027806199808?s=19

:munch:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

This is the look of a list that has Bryan McCabe in the top 10.

Yeah post that top 10, Twin Cinema!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1316046361092128768
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316047799851589638

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I like the idea that Marleau is hockey's real-life version of Tom Berenger in Major League.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bregor posted:

I like the idea that Marleau is hockey's real-life version of Tom Berenger in Major League.

Looking at San Jose's roster this must be Major League 3.

(I know Tom Berenger isn't in that one!)

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1316051413110329350

That contract's pretty buyout proof.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The last year could be bought out, which isn't bad considering age. Otherwise it's structured for mac payout despite escrow for the next few years.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

He's still got one year left, doesn't he? Still sounds pretty bad.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Erik Karlsson being top 30 is a massive lmfao.

Not that I agree, but it's a ranking that I can least understand their rationale behind. I really have trouble with the Carlson ranking.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah post that top 10, Twin Cinema!

The top-10 is predictable.

10. Chelios
9. Coffey
8. Robinson
7. Kelly
6. Potvin
5. Bourque
4. Shore
3. Lidstrom
2. Harvey
1. Orr

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Vancouver TSN with the hot scoop on what's going on in Montreal

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Vancouver TSN with the hot scoop on what's going on in Montreal

To be fair, LeBrun's also reported it:
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1316052344682033152

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Maybe the most impressive thing about Patrick Marleau...

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316046949863354370

Of course it took Gordie a lot more years because NHL seasons have gotten a lot longer since Howe's day.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Is there a slightly older and slightly worse player that Bergy can swap Gallagher for?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

That's really cool of the Sharks to bring back Marleau for the record thing, I actually didn't think they'd do it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Carver posted:

That's really cool of the Sharks to bring back Marleau for the record thing, I actually didn't think they'd do it.

It's not like San Jose is going anywhere with their D and goaltending. May as well do something "nice".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Maybe the most impressive thing about Patrick Marleau...

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316046949863354370

Of course it took Gordie a lot more years because NHL seasons have gotten a lot longer since Howe's day.

25 seasons to Patty’s 22 so far. Howe also had 6 years/419 games in the WHA and considering he had 41 points in his final NHL season after that, it’s probably safe to say he could have played those games in the NHL if he wanted to.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's actually interesting, because I am unsure if Howe plays those extra WHA games in the NHL. I think part of the draw for him to play in Houston was because they were going to sign his sons, and that there was a lot of bad blood between him and the Wings. He also needed surgery to repair his wrist, as that's what forced him to retire a few years prior.

Like, he showed that he could have, I am just not sure if he would have. But, this all a hypothetical, and while I have read Howe's autobiography, my memory is a little fuzzy on the details.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316107524924465153

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Twin Cinema posted:

79. Josi
76. Giordano
72. Letang
70. Carlson
68. Subban
66. Pietrangelo
61. Suter
50. Hedman
48. Burns
45. Weber
31. Doughty
27. Karlsson
26. Keith
23. Chara

Didn't Toews teach us that "Top 100 of all time" lists should never have active players on them

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

Didn't Toews teach us that "Top 100 of all time" lists should never have active players on them

No, it just taught us that people are bad at making "Top 100 of All-Time" lists.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I think I found out why all Ottawa sportswriters have no negative things to say about Eugene

quote:

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has filed a defamation lawsuit against an Ottawa Sun columnist alleging that stories published by the tabloid in June suggested Melnyk was dishonest, was trying to divert money to his own charity for his own benefit, and had been “gouging” the Ottawa Senators Foundation by charging exorbitant rent.
In a statement of claim filed Sept. 4 in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto, Melnyk alleges that Ottawa Sun columnist Rick Gibbons’ articles about Melnyk’s dealings with the foundation had damaged his reputation. The Sens owner is seeking at least $500,000 in damages.

https://www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-owner-melnyk-files-500-000-lawsuit-against-ottawa-sun-columnist-1.1538375

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So who’s the best player still out there unsigned, or is that it?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

So who’s the best player still out there unsigned, or is that it?

Mikael Granlund, Mike Hoffman, Anthony Duclair, Evgeni Dadonov, Sami Vatanen, Erik Haula

Also a lower tier of guys like Brassard, Galchenyuk, Athanasiou, Soderberg

Also comedy options Karl Alzner, Cody Ceci, Justin Abdelkater, and the Dutch Gretzky himself, Dale Weise

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dadonov easily

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im assuming Athanasiou must be asking for something pretty significant if he is still out there. Duclair too.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Whoever signs Haula must make him wear 55. No exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Travis Hamonic is the best player left every team should sign him