Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
But will James Earl Jones still be voicing Mufasa. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Late to Lupinchat, but I found myself constantly distracted by the shininess of Lupin's pants. So shiny.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

But will James Earl Jones still be voicing Mufasa. :ohdear:

I mean, a tiny little lion cub speaking with Jones' thundering baritone is certainly a selling point.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If so, they apparently didn't get the memo of how Walking with Dinosaurs was the poo poo.

Not sure if :thejoke: but that is the movie in question, released as Walking With Dinosaurs 3D.

Originally without even a voiceover narration, just a non-dialogue film, but Disney* had that changed.

(*Disney gets the blame for any bad decisions made by studios they now own.)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1311850276689715201

the daily ralph

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paradoxGentleman posted:

You mean the Lion Guard? From what I've seen it's pretty bad and Simba apparently didn't learn the lesson from Lion King 2 and is still racist.

No, I was talking about the Lupin TV series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I was talking about the Lupin TV series.

Speaking of which, have they said anything about the possibility of a sixth season at some point?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, have they said anything about the possibility of a sixth season at some point?

There was a 30 year gap between Part 3 and Part 4 so anything is possible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This is pretty big.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk

According to Variety and many other places, Cineworld will close all Regal and Cinemark theaters in the US and the UK starting next week, The blame is being placed on the new James Bond movie being delayed until 2021 as that was the last movie theaters were trying to use to get people to come back during the pandemic.

Cineworld hasn't spoken to any employees in the UK or US about this so this is coming as a complete shock to them as well.

Variety is saying that they may reopen in 2021 at least but The Verge seems to think this may be permanent.

Soul is still set to release in November 2020. At this point, I don't there'll be anywhere for it to go to. AMC is having really bad sales too.

It's starting to look like it's a MUCH better idea to release movies via streaming services now. There's no reason to worry about theaters complaining if they won't be open anyway.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I can't imagine movie studios surviving if they keep on delaying the release of all these films. Especially if you consider that eventually 2021 is going to be really bloated with films coming out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man, the vfx industry is gonna be dead for a long time. And feature animation might have some issues if it’s not financially viable to spend feature money on something that will release to streaming. The tv animation studios are going to have a busy couple of years though

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just going to point out that it's not Cinemark but Cineworld. Still. Regal is the #2 theater chain in the US and I believe Cineworld is the #1 in the UK so still pretty huge.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The other day I remembered there's supposed to be a Nimona movie coming out. Poor film, it's been finished for ages but first got knocked off the roster by Disney buying Fox, and now by the virus. Maybe we'll see it sometime in 2022.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Soul plus

https://news.avclub.com/pixars-soul-is-skipping-theaters-for-disney-1845318424

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Seems like it'll just pop up on D+ without any pay poo poo like Mulan did? I'm still super interested in this because of the Reznor/Ross score.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's two Reznor scored movies are going on streaming services in December. That's what I call a Merry Christmas.

(For real though I'm glad I'll actually get to watch Soul (and use my D+ sub) rather than risk a cinema trip or pay £8 million for premium access).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

China made a recent Mulan film that was... even worse than the Disney version

https://www.scmp.com/abacus/culture...obox=1602213216

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2pjEVbmaE

quote:

Kung Fu Mulan is being billed as featuring “real China, real Mulan”, as a poster for the film reads. Unfortunately for the studio behind it, the film turned into an even bigger flop than the Disney epic.

The new 3D animated film comes from Chinese studio Gold Valley Films and hit cinemas on October 3 — a few days into China’s “golden week” holiday celebrating National Day. Holidays in China are usually considered opportunities for domestic films, but it does not appear to have helped Kung Fu Mulan.

Immediately after its release, the film received a barrage of negative reviews online. Just three days later, the film was pulled from theatres.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The game No Straight Roads has the same basic plot as Trolls 2, except you're playing as the villain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The game No Straight Roads has the same basic plot as Trolls 2, except you're playing as the villain.

That game looks borderline unplayable and I cannot understand some of the voice roles for main characters, but drat if the boss battle design isn't sick as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvnbAzSQyM&t=175s

I had seen this earlier and remember thinking "what a great music video for a game I have no interest in playing!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like two of the boss battles in that game have the coolest loving design I've ever seen (this one and "Mother").

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

That game looks borderline unplayable and I cannot understand some of the voice roles for main characters, but drat if the boss battle design isn't sick as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvnbAzSQyM&t=175s

I had seen this earlier and remember thinking "what a great music video for a game I have no interest in playing!"

I love No Straight Roads, much like the original Deadly Premonition it manages to overcome mediocre gameplay through sheer charm.

Pick posted:

Like two of the boss battles in that game have the coolest loving design I've ever seen (this one and "Mother").

Those are both fantastic, but my personal favorite is Sayu AKA "what if Hatsune Miku was a mermaid?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
LOL I was literally thinking of deadly premonition when I mentioned that. I ended up buying a copy of deadly premonition just to sort of, thank the game? But I could never see myself actually playing it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

LOL I was literally thinking of deadly premonition when I mentioned that. I ended up buying a copy of deadly premonition just to sort of, thank the game? But I could never see myself actually playing it.

That is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and a excellent way to support creators who's games you love watching other people play, but would never want to play yourself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching Zootopia again, it truly is the best WDAS movie of the last 20 years <3

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I just finished World of Tomorrow 3 that released on Vimeo the other day and I had to come running to this thread to remind you how good don hertzfeldt is at making pretty scenes and animating stick figures. Easily the best looking one he's done so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Now I’m seeing if don bluth can make penguins horny

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh no

He can

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
That movie is nothing but about horny penguins.

And bad songs. Good ship misery is awful

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

All I remember is the Rock Hopper that wanted to fly and it was treated so dire that the love interest simply can't refuse to not pick a partner.

God, lot of the later Bluth Movies are so Dire - Pebble and the Penguin and Troll in Central Park are so awful, and Rock-a-doodle has some interesting set pieces marred by some really obnoxious characters and a kid that can't enunciate their lines clearly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

staplegun posted:

I just finished World of Tomorrow 3 that released on Vimeo the other day and I had to come running to this thread to remind you how good don hertzfeldt is at making pretty scenes and animating stick figures. Easily the best looking one he's done so far.

The animation is great, and it's one of the funniest ones. However it seems that he got lazy on some parts. The ship in the beginning is great, but then you get to David's apartment and the book case looks like it came from a flash game. There was something else that looked quickly assembled, but I can't remember it. I liked it enough to rewatch it, which I'll need to do just to get a better grasp on that cleaner scene at the end.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Did the Animaniacs revival clip from Comic-Con get posted here yet? It's around 18:40 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928aGZhVCpo&t=1120s

Much like the new Looney Tunes I'm put off by the lack of variance in line weight (even though they lampshaded it). But otherwise looks pretty good for what it is, I guess... Still hard to see who the regular audience is really gonna be for this. It looks pleasant enough but I can't imagine a lot of people really sitting down and saying "I'm going to watch this whole series".

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I liked it well enough I guess. Comedy Style is pretty good.
Art style....it’s the way things currently are. I just find it flat and a little lifeless. I think I miss smudges in a lot of their movements.
There’s also a lack of shading, which combined with the bright colors makes it a little jarring.

But Pinky and the Brain is also coming back. So that’s great. There’s no way it will live up to the memories.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

I just find it flat and a little lifeless. I think I miss smudges in a lot of their movements.
That's it, that's why I feel like so much new stuff is so still. The lack of smudging and squish/squash

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's so many original Animaniacs episodes (99 of them!) that I doubt I actually saw most of them as a kid. I missed its entire run on Fox, and I don't know how many of the Fox episodes Kids WB ever aired. Either way, I'd probably enjoy watching the old thing because it would come with actual nostalgia, rather than remakes which don't conjure up that same sense.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never really liked it as a kid for whatever reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

There's so many original Animaniacs episodes (99 of them!) that I doubt I actually saw most of them as a kid.
I never knew they did a Power Rangers send up until I found it on YouTube randomly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

I never knew they did a Power Rangers send up until I found it on YouTube randomly.

It comes off really weird. Gen X writers never quite figured out how to reference Japanese media without doing Speed Racer references which were already well outside the target audience unless they watched reruns. (Speed Racer is kinda loving crazy, btw. Also the movie is awesome)

And then the next generation of cartoons are written by people who grew up watching the 90s anime boom.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It comes off really weird.
The thing they got super right (and pretty much the only thing I remember from it) was the random cuts between poo poo to the Warner Rangers pumping fists and going "Right!"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pick posted:

Probably because it’s not very funny?
I mostly remember Animaniacs for a few of their spoofs (like the StarWars one) and a handful of fragments (like chess with death and the countries of the world). But mostly I remember it because of Pinky and the Brain.
I’d say 90% of the series isn’t funny to me, but the parts that are funny, were really funny to kid me.

I had no idea they had 99 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Pick posted:

same, also for Pinky and the Brain too

but i loved the hell out of Freakazoid and Road Rovers (tho probably just cuz i liked dogs) even though i never knew when it aired