Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

If gorging on Burbank Russets doesn’t cause sickness, eating the Lenape in moderation won’t.

Yeah, but it was gonna go into potato chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Here's an Amtrack locomotive being recovered back onto the rails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF_YUb1dbA
These tracked counterbalanced crane rigs seem to be a common way to lift/move them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kutsVpg5af8

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ah, Chessie System. We found a kitten on the tracks in my hometown, and my brother named her Chessie because of their logo.

Chess was a good catte :3:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CSX’s nickname is now “Chemical Spill Experts” or “Crashed, Smashed & Exploded”

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The vibrant emerald green cloth on these bindings gets its shocking color from copper acetoarsenite, more commonly known as arsenic. The inorganic pigment was also famously used in Victorian era wallpaper.

The bindings seen here, along with others in our collection, were tested by Melissa Tedone, Conservator at Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library, in December 2019 as part of the Poison Book Project. The sample is comprised largely of green cloth case bindings, but some green paper (upper left) also tested positive. They have since been properly rehoused, along with updated safe handling instructions. Read more about the Poison Book Project here.

lmao at the poison book about "Human Longevity"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

All I saw and all I care about.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Cancelbot posted:

How does that even happen?

I think it got driven over a switch that dislodged so the front wheels stayed on one track while the rear wheels switched onto the second track.

minato posted:

I was curious as to what it would take to get that back on the tracks.

Can they just drive it backwards to get it back on the main track? I hope it's as easy as that because that would rule.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Real Amethyst posted:

Can they just drive it backwards to get it back on the main track? I hope it's as easy as that because that would rule.

Maybe if it was still on both tracks, but looking closely at the picture I think it's fully derailed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fishing with the fam posted:

And then they specifically call out Nic about his glove discipline

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

How is radiation bad for people but okay for food? Like, aren’t we all basically meat anyway? Is this a “the dose makes the poison” scenario?

Other people have chimed in on this, but to explain further, there are three types of radiation:

Alpha particles are literally just helium without the electrons. They don't travel far, and they lose their energy quite quickly, which renders them harmless in most scenarios (don't eat something that emits alpha particles).

Beta particles are electrons/positrons. Again, the initial emission is dangerous, but after that they just behave like any other bit of matter and do their thing normally.

Gamma rays are similar to x-rays in that they are a type of electromagnetic radiation (similar to light). They are harmful until they are absorbed, which is typically done by lead or some other dense material.

The point here is that once radiation actually interacts with something, it's no longer dangerous, as the dangerous part of the radiation (the energy) has already been absorbed. Alpha particles just become helium, beta particles become electrons, etc. Something is only radioactive if it emits radiation, and things that absorb radiation do not themselves emit radiation or become radioactive.

Now, in the case of nuclear fallout or other accidents, the danger is that particles that emit radiation are thrown into the air, which then can be breathed in. At that point you have radioactive material in your lungs that is emitting radiation directly into your tissue, which is very very bad.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

minato posted:

I was curious as to what it would take to get that back on the tracks. According to Google, those locomotives are probably around 220 tonnes. Most large mobile cranes can only go up to 100 tonnes, but the big ones can do 200-700.

And I stumbled across the Taisun dock crane, which can lift 20,000 tonnes. :stare:

CommieGIR posted:

Here's an Amtrack locomotive being recovered back onto the rails:

Those little beasts are called sidebooms or sidewinders, this page has a ton of photos of them in action: http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2019/01/mow-sidebooms-dozer-with-boom-and.html

They're essential to cleaning up any railroad accident.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The other issue being that radioactive elements go everywhere, mainly air but also the water, where it then goes into animals and humans directly, or indirectly through livestock/soil. Aside from the nuclear detonation and accompanying human holocaust, a nuclear explosion is kind of like a glitterbomb full of radiation.

The main difference being that a nuclear detonation simply doesn't expend that much nuclear material at once, because you don't need that much fission/fusion capable uranium/plutonium to get the intended effect.. That's why Hiroshima and Nagasaki are today thriving urban areas, and why Fukushima/Cherynobyl are ghost towns- the failure of those two reactors spread a huge amount of radioactive elements basically everywhere. Of course, to get into the weeds, the Cherynobyl disaster was basically the worst possible way a nuclear reactor can fail. Fukushima was still pretty bad, but orders of magnitude less so.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Three Mile island was also a bit of an outlier, if I recall correctly.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Additionally gamma radiation can penetrate deeply into a human body, so it's not really necessary to ingest something that is radiating gamma/x-rays. Just being too close for too long to a gamma emitter is enough to kill you. Beta particles are fairly easily stopped by thin sheets of metal or plastic, so it's relatively easy to shield yourself from them. Alpha particles are blocked very easily so as long as they don't get into your body through inhalation or ingestion they're pretty harmless.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

A White Guy posted:

The other issue being that radioactive elements go everywhere, mainly air but also the water, where it then goes into animals and humans directly, or indirectly through livestock/soil. Aside from the nuclear detonation and accompanying human holocaust, a nuclear explosion is kind of like a glitterbomb full of radiation.

The main difference being that a nuclear detonation simply doesn't expend that much nuclear material at once, because you don't need that much fission/fusion capable uranium/plutonium to get the intended effect.. That's why Hiroshima and Nagasaki are today thriving urban areas, and why Fukushima/Cherynobyl are ghost towns- the failure of those two reactors spread a huge amount of radioactive elements basically everywhere. Of course, to get into the weeds, the Cherynobyl disaster was basically the worst possible way a nuclear reactor can fail. Fukushima was still pretty bad, but orders of magnitude less so.

Exactly. I wanted to highlight that the issue is that radioactive elements are what are dangerous in this case, rather than specifically the radiation itself. The actual alpha/beta/gamma radiation is very short lived and will dissipate almost immediately if you use it to irradiate something. The thing irradiated by those elements is then safe. If you embed some radioactive cesium/strontium/etc. into the object, then the object will emit radiation and be dangerous.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Additionally gamma radiation can penetrate deeply into a human body, so it's not really necessary to ingest something that is radiating gamma/x-rays. Just being too close for too long to a gamma emitter is enough to kill you. Beta particles are fairly easily stopped by thin sheets of metal or plastic, so it's relatively easy to shield yourself from them. Alpha particles are blocked very easily so as long as they don't get into your body through inhalation or ingestion they're pretty harmless.

Yes. Radiation is dangerous. Food that has been irradiated is not. That was the point being made.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

Three Mile island was also a bit of an outlier, if I recall correctly.

Overall it’s surprisingly hard to get a nuclear reactor to definitively kill people. It’s hard to even tell whether an accident causes an increase in cancer deaths in the area decades later.

On the other hand, it’s estimated that nuclear power has prevented as many as 1.8 million deaths that would have otherwise occurred if all of that electricity was replaced by fossil fuel plants. Everything from the mining to the pollution is hideously damaging to the planet.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

chitoryu12 posted:

Overall it’s surprisingly hard to get a nuclear reactor to definitively kill people. It’s hard to even tell whether an accident causes an increase in cancer deaths in the area decades later.

On the other hand, it’s estimated that nuclear power has prevented as many as 1.8 million deaths that would have otherwise occurred if all of that electricity was replaced by fossil fuel plants. Everything from the mining to the pollution is hideously damaging to the planet.

By far the worst result of the Fukushima accident is the souring of public opinion on nuclear power

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a coworker who once told me she didn't use the microwave because of radiation. In the least condescending tone I could muster, I explained what the word radiation means, and different things it can refer to. Proud to say she now uses the microwave.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

B33rChiller posted:

You can use water in approved deep fryer fire suppression systems, it just needs to be highly atomized. We had water fog systems in all the galleys and in high risk machinery spaces on the last cruise ship I worked on. https://youtu.be/4liOYmVjyB8

Edit sorry to dig this post up, I'm playing catch up.
That was a very informative post and on topic. Thank you, no apology needed.

If you have OSHA stories from working on a cruise ship, :justpost::posthaste:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Just don't eat it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had a coworker who once told me she didn't use the microwave because of radiation. In the least condescending tone I could muster, I explained what the word radiation means, and different things it can refer to. Proud to say she now uses the microwave.

This is right up there with :byodood: CHEMICALS :byodame:

As in, :byodood:"No way! That food/soap/whatever has chemicals in it!"

I sigh as I unsheath my dihydrogen monoxide reference

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't forget the fact that waste from coal power plants is more radioactive that waste from nuclear power plants.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

quote:

Over the past few decades, however, a series of studies has called these stereotypes into question. Among the surprising conclusions: the waste produced by coal plants is actually more radioactive than that generated by their nuclear counterparts. In fact, the fly ash emitted by a power plant—a by-product from burning coal for electricity—carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy. * [See Editor's Note at bottom]

At issue is coal's content of uranium and thorium, both radioactive elements. They occur in such trace amounts in natural, or "whole," coal that they aren't a problem. But when coal is burned into fly ash, uranium and thorium are concentrated at up to 10 times their original levels.

Fly ash uranium sometimes leaches into the soil and water surrounding a coal plant, affecting cropland and, in turn, food. People living within a "stack shadow"—the area within a half- to one-mile (0.8- to 1.6-kilometer) radius of a coal plant's smokestacks—might then ingest small amounts of radiation. Fly ash is also disposed of in landfills and abandoned mines and quarries, posing a potential risk to people living around those areas.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Dirk the Average posted:

Other people have chimed in on this, but to explain further, there are three types of radiation:

Alpha particles are literally just helium without the electrons. They don't travel far, and they lose their energy quite quickly, which renders them harmless in most scenarios (don't eat something that emits alpha particles).

Beta particles are electrons/positrons. Again, the initial emission is dangerous, but after that they just behave like any other bit of matter and do their thing normally.

Gamma rays are similar to x-rays in that they are a type of electromagnetic radiation (similar to light). They are harmful until they are absorbed, which is typically done by lead or some other dense material.

The point here is that once radiation actually interacts with something, it's no longer dangerous, as the dangerous part of the radiation (the energy) has already been absorbed. Alpha particles just become helium, beta particles become electrons, etc. Something is only radioactive if it emits radiation, and things that absorb radiation do not themselves emit radiation or become radioactive.

Now, in the case of nuclear fallout or other accidents, the danger is that particles that emit radiation are thrown into the air, which then can be breathed in. At that point you have radioactive material in your lungs that is emitting radiation directly into your tissue, which is very very bad.

Scratch Monkey posted:

A bit more information to clarify things. As mentioned above, Alpha particles can't penetrate jack poo poo (your dead skin cells in the epidermis stop them) but because it has a +2 charge, alpha emitters that get lodged in soft tissues destroy/start cancers very effectively. The common bioaccumulation points for people are the lungs and bone marrow (ie bone seeking) and there is a fast track to lung scarring/cancer or leukemias. A simple guide is that for every unit of radioactivity (Curies is what I'm used to dealing with) alpha-emissions on soft tissues are 20 times more destructive per Curie of dose. Of course, a HEPA-filtered full face respirator and multiple coverall layers is sufficient to keep dust from being ingested if worn correctly.

Beta particles are known for "beta burns," typically damage to the skin and eyes. You can take IMMENSE amounts of Beta dose to the extremities with few ill-effects beyond sunburn-like skin damage. They can't penetrate into your deep tissues without ingestion, though if ingested tend to accumulate in Bones (Strontium-90, the common isotope of concern, is chemically similar to Calcium in the human body). Typically extra pairs of gloves and safety glasses can protect your eyes and skin working with beta emitters. To prevent ingestion, coveralls/respirator are necessary. Shielding for Beta can create a secondary x-ray radiation emitted (bremsstrahlung or braking energy emitted) that can irradiate people even if shielded from the Betas, but this tends to be a secondary concern.

Gammas are penetrating - they will go right through your body and dose you and there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent exposure without remote equipment or just taking extremity dose (similar to Betas, you can take a lot of extremity dose with few ill-effects as long as it's monitored). They're just photons - for all intents and purposes they're identical to X-Rays except general are a little higher energy, though it's a bit fuzzy because some gammas are less energetic than some high energy x-rays (like bremsstrahlung generated x-rays). If you have to pick an emitter to eat, eat the gamma emitter because it's least likely to deposit its energy inside you. Working in a gamma field with chronic doses less than 1 Rem a year (10 milliSieverts) generally has not been associated with increased health risks that are detectable.

Neutrons are also a dose to think of, and the worst of all worlds. Very penetrating, and high-damage to your tissues. Exposure to this means you were next to a reactor or a criticality accident and likely means you're going to die already. Natural neutron emissions are relatively small in most elements and secondary to their primary decay chains so for all intents and purposes this isn't a concern.

If you get an acute uptake, there are chelating drugs to get them out of your system, but my favorite is if you uptake Tritiated compounds, drinking shitloads of light beer is effective because it 1) hydrates you so you and 2) makes you need to piss constantly so you will replace the tritiated water in your body with beer water. It's not perfect, but you can definitely reduce your lifetime dose with proper treatment after an uptake.

The key to all this is Irradiating food or people does not transmute them. As a result, you can't make food radioactive with irradiation pasteurization. You can eat a piece of irradiated food the second it comes out of one of these units (typically they used gamma sources) with zero exposure or uptake.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

You left out Neutron Radiation, which is absolutely horrible since it irradiates everything nearby though it has its uses in imaging.

As the joke option, Neutrino Radiation is another type that no one thinks or cares about because it is so weakly interacting that the only way to suffer a lethal dose of it would be to be inside an exploding star.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CannonFodder posted:

Don't forget the fact that waste from coal power plants is more radioactive that waste from nuclear power plants.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

it thought it wans't more radioactive, but there's just waaaaaaaay more waste, so in total it's more radiation?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qi3vevXU2O1s1ddrj.mp4

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CannonFodder posted:

This argument is dumb and bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Groda posted:

This argument is dumb and bad.

lol

But
Ok say why

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's an old physics problem known as the three radioactive cookies where you're given cookies that emit alpha, beta and gamma radiation. You have to eat one, put one in your pocket, and hold one in your hand. What do you do?

Hold the alpha cookie, put the beta cookie in your pocket, and eat the gamma cookie. Skin blocks alpha radiation, your clothes and skin will block beta radiation, and eating the gamma cookie doesn't really make much of a difference in how much radiation you'r exposed to.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I just explain it as 'Some radiation kills things, this radiation is used to kill things that make you sick. It is not the type of radiation that makes other things radioactive.'

Also, I'm still grump that we aren't funneling more research into LFTR reactors.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What I’m hearing is we should nuke Venice.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pickled Tink posted:

You left out Neutron Radiation, which is absolutely horrible since it irradiates everything nearby though it has its uses in imaging.

As the joke option, Neutrino Radiation is another type that no one thinks or cares about because it is so weakly interacting that the only way to suffer a lethal dose of it would be to be inside an exploding star.

The liquid argon detectors that get used in neutrino detectors are really cool

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nocheez posted:

Ah, Chessie System. We found a kitten on the tracks in my hometown, and my brother named her Chessie because of their logo.

Chess was a good catte :3:
We got the 2020 Chessie calendar at a train museum gift shop and my wife is devastated we missed ordering the 2021 calendar.

Although its hilarious how bougie Chessie is, the last major rennesaiance being the aspirational advertising era of the depression. That cat lives in a sky scraper, where it slinks down to ride a train in first class draped in silk to a health resort.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's a four-cookie version: alpha, beta, gamma and neutron. You must eat one, hold one in your fist, put one in your pocket and throw one away.

Answer: Throw away the neutron cookie, put beta in your pocket, hold alpha in your fist, eat gamma

Real answer: throw away all the cookies, punch the examiner, and run away

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What about the chicken to go is OSHA?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Here's the cotter pin thing that keeps the pintle hook locked. Also, check out those beefy chain loops and my high vis gloves.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What about the chicken to go is OSHA?

i like your style

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Here's the cotter pin thing that keeps the pintle hook locked. Also, check out those beefy chain loops and my high vis gloves.

Hey, I recognize that forearm!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/LeoLabs_Space/status/1316147305125490694

This doesn't seem optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Blindeye posted:

They're just photons - for all intents and purposes they're identical to X-Rays except general are a little higher energy, though it's a bit fuzzy because some gammas are less energetic than some high energy x-rays (like bremsstrahlung generated x-rays).

Astronomers call things gamma rays or not based on energy.

Nuclear physicists call things gamma rays or not based on origin. X-rays come from electron energy transitions, gamma rays come from nuclear transitions. When an nucleus decays by alpha or beta emission, the nucleus is usually left in an excited state, and it decays to ground state by emission of gamma rays. Gamma ray energies overlap with ultraviolet energies (not by much, though).

Also the way this stuff (alpha, beta, whatever) kills you is mainly by interacting with the water in your cells. It's *possible* for a gamma ray or something to smack directly into cellular DNA and break it, but the wavelength of most gammas is miniscule compared to the size of your cellular nuclei. Instead, they're far more likely to smack into water molecules in your cells, breaking them up and now you have a reactive oxygen species like a hydroxyl radical where you used to have H2O. For each interaction you wind up with a chain of ROSes, and those will eventually go on to get into the cell's nucleus and start breaking and crosslinking DNA.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 14, 2020