Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Didn't this 1.) get patched 2.) only work for anyone that actually has saxon elective law available, i.e. saxons, even if it wasn't patched?

IIRC, what got patched was adding laws like "male only" and "male preference" removing the title from partition considerations. It seems intentional that elective titles should, since their outcome is up to vote after all. If it just so happens that all your vassals vote for your chosen heir, them's the break for your other children.
Even if you don't have access to the special ones. as long as you have a feudal government you can add the feudal elective law.
However, I have heard conflicting reports on whether adding "male only" was actually patched or not, it may require testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is there a screen where it shows you all the rulers the pope would currently agree to grant you a claim against? I swear I remember finding this somewhere when I first started playing the game, but now I can't find it anywhere so maybe I just imagined it...

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

shortspecialbus posted:

Didn't this 1.) get patched 2.) only work for anyone that actually has saxon elective law available, i.e. saxons, even if it wasn't patched?

Worked for me a few days ago. I've seen it happen under Scandinavian as well, so it should work with Feudal?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

GODS I WAS STRONG THEN

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior posted:

playing as Alfonso is hilarious, you can easily stab your way to a massive kingdom within a decade. Plus you start off as your sister's lover.

Playing the sister Urraca works just as well, maybe even better. She's in the same line of inheritance, and her brothers hate each other but not her.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Vichan posted:

GODS I WAS STRONG THEN

Best part is how he's actually quite shy and probably sits in a butterfly garden snacking and (judging by his stats) reading poetry 24/7.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
My boy king got wounded, his older sister and heir was the court physician, so she treated his wound by chopping his balls off. I guess the game might have just chosen that treatment by chance, but nevertheless it was a pretty clever trick she pulled there

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Man I have yet to have any of my physicians do anything really crazy. One of them bled me from the temples and armpits, but it worked. The failures just bruised up the person or made them sicker but didn't do anything totally nuts. Like remove your nuts.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

A God drat Ghost posted:

Man I have yet to have any of my physicians do anything really crazy. One of them bled me from the temples and armpits, but it worked. The failures just bruised up the person or made them sicker but didn't do anything totally nuts. Like remove your nuts.

I chose the risky treatment on a king I wasn’t happy playing hoping it would lead to death.

And it sure did!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I chose a "mystic" treatment a few times and it worked surprisingly often. And by "worked" one time it was like this

Trevor Hale posted:

I chose the risky treatment on a king I wasn’t happy playing hoping it would lead to death.

And it sure did!

Risky treatments can be a great way to shorten your lifespan.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Why the hell does my 8 Prowess grandson player heir wander off across the map to sign up to be some random fucker's knight? Can they stop having grandchildren wander off? I already had to pull him home once when ran away at age 6 so I could educate him and get him a good marriage and now he's done it again. This is incredibly annoying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I actually lost my groomed heir from the line of succession when his wife somehow got appointed as the mayor of some town in France, outside of my realm. Because of that, I couldn't nominate him in the election.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ugh I can't believe Catholicism of all things is so frustrating to play. Fervor perpetually tanked, heresies drive it back up just enough for the Pope to call a Crusade, Pope sails to the holy land outnumbering the defenders all on his own, disembarks next to the enemy and loses half his forces because of the recently disembarked penalty, then packs up and sails home...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I really don’t understand fervour. I’m trying to spread Catholicism through Spain and sometimes fervour is zero and then sometimes it’s 100. My guess is that Catholics somewhere are losing wars so I’m redirecting every crusade to the Middle East to get owned when the kingdoms inevitably get reinvaded.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you're a big religion, your fervor pretty much always goes down over time as rulers use holy war CBs, and the "Sinful bishop" event keeps triggering. However, when a heresy spawns, you'll get 15% fervor for every ruler (duke?) that converts, so it'll often bounce back up to 100%.

It's... a strange system, but at least it's playable right now.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Catholicism constantly having low fervor makes it really annoying to convert smaller religions and their 100% fervor. I know theres learning tree perk that removes the fervor aspect but I don't like having to focus on learning just cause some bishop in lappland got horny.

Also paradox please do something about the never ending waves of populist rebels, I'm trying to reconquer iberia and mopping up populist rebels every 6 months just feels like a chore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, having to focus on learning in order to more effectively convert a newly conquered region kinda feels thematic, I don't mind it.
Doesn't hurt that the learning trees are really good as well.

I do agree the "Sinful bishop" events could use some tuning, though.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Ugh I can't believe Catholicism of all things is so frustrating to play.

Don’t know many ex-Catholics, I take it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I am an ex-Catholic if you want to get technical about it, but western European Catholic is basically the base play-case, you'd think they would have tuned it a bit better.

Also the HRE doesn't start with Princely Elective either? I mean that is accurate, but given that there is no Investiture Controversy and related civil war to ever push it onto the Emperor it seems like there's just no way it'd ever happen? Was hoping to play a more diplomatic game here but I guess I'll have to take the crown by force as usual. :smith:

Broken Cog posted:

I do agree the "Sinful bishop" events could use some tuning, though.

One thing I'm curious about is whether you can even get Virtuous Bishop Celebrated? I've never seen it but maybe that's a notification thing. I have seen Virtuous Pope.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PittTheElder posted:

One thing I'm curious about is whether you can even get Virtuous Bishop Celebrated? I've never seen it but maybe that's a notification thing. I have seen Virtuous Pope.

Oh you absolutely can, but it feels like it triggers much less frequently than the sinful one.

Edit: Catholics just unlocked crusades in 872 despite no catholic heartlands really falling into infidel hands, is it just because a duchy in southern France went Cathar?
Honestly feel it's a bit too easy for Crusades to unlock right now, and it makes playing as certain rulers (mostly the Lothbrok sons) really annoying.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 14, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How in the world do I raise just MAA and not levies?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

buglord posted:

Raise all, and then ctrl-click somewhere to immediately move then and not wait for the levies to gather.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

When you've raised MaA, your army screen should have a button with an X which lets you cancel raising levies.

It is also possible to stop raising levies partway through, if you're still early enough in the game that levies are relevant

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Currently trying the "build the empire of russia" scenario goal/ start. I already grabbed over 50 counties, currently just handing out the county titles to every poor rear end in a top hat I can find as a vassal. Having many weak vassals is better, correct?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Strong vassals can go out on their own and conquer poo poo for you, and it might be easier to placate a few unhappy strong vassals compared to dozens of weaker ones.

It's a bit of a balancing act, but the vassal limit is enormous so you shouldn't run into that problem.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Oh you absolutely can, but it feels like it triggers much less frequently than the sinful one.

Edit: Catholics just unlocked crusades in 872 despite no catholic heartlands really falling into infidel hands, is it just because a duchy in southern France went Cathar?
Honestly feel it's a bit too easy for Crusades to unlock right now, and it makes playing as certain rulers (mostly the Lothbrok sons) really annoying.

I mean, there was a crusade against Cathars in southern France. Around 1200.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Strong vassals can go out on their own and conquer poo poo for you, and it might be easier to placate a few unhappy strong vassals compared to dozens of weaker ones.

It's a bit of a balancing act, but the vassal limit is enormous so you shouldn't run into that problem.

I got currently 13 over vassal limit, with no dukes or counts as my vassals. And I haven't even conquered anything east of the Urals.
Luckily the end is near, so I dont have to figure out, how to safely revoke king titles to make larger, fewer Kingdoms.

Do barons, mayors and bishops count toward the vassal limit?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

adhuin posted:

Nope. County vassals or higher only.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

adhuin posted:

I got currently 13 over vassal limit, with no dukes or counts as my vassals. And I haven't even conquered anything east of the Urals.
Luckily the end is near, so I dont have to figure out, how to safely revoke king titles to make larger, fewer Kingdoms.

... how? The vassal limit for emperors is 60. You can hit that since there are 166 kingdoms in the game but surely you own a few yourself.

FrickenMoron posted:

Currently trying the "build the empire of russia" scenario goal/ start. I already grabbed over 50 counties, currently just handing out the county titles to every poor rear end in a top hat I can find as a vassal. Having many weak vassals is better, correct?

Given a choice, I like to have weak dukes who only own one county to start, and same with kings.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

eXXon posted:

... how? The vassal limit for emperors is 60. You can hit that since there are 166 kingdoms in the game but surely you own a few yourself.

Lot of forced vassalisations of kingdoms and giving the latest conquered lands to my kids with random king titles attached. :shrug:

I think I have the English crown and one of the French and Byzantine ones.
I stopped counting after getting my first Empire title and started giving them out.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Why did the pope become my rival and excommunicate me for saying he probably shouldn't keep a detailed revenge list? It was the only option I could take, and apparently I'm the only person in the entire world who denounced him for that, so he picked me as his one and only rival?

That's pretty obnoxious honestly. I get it if my character did something meaningful, but what the hell. I'm pretty well hosed now, and my chance of killing him is only 5%.

Is there anything you can do to get un-excommunicated?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Murder the pope and become friends with the next.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Murder the pope and become friends with the next.

shortspecialbus posted:

and my chance of killing him is only 5%.

Can't get it higher - nobody will join for any amount of money. Secrecy percent is like 10% so that would be a stupid thing to try, I have enough maluses.

Also did the patch change it so that homosexuality does a massive fertility chance drop? I figured it would be offset by "beautiful" but my heir has been married a really long time now and no kids.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
it was from this thread that i learned that I can simply have sex with my son to produce a heir even though hes homosexual

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Have you guys heard of our lord and saviour Insular Jesus?

Its the good old Christianity without any of the catholic junk, like Pope and crusades.

Convert now by calling 1800-NOPOPE and have your eternal salvation and 4 wives tomorrow.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

buglord posted:

it was from this thread that i learned that I can simply have sex with my son to produce a heir even though hes homosexual

How do you do that, unless it's maybe dependent on religious stuff? I can't seduce my heir's wife because she's "not attracted to men"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

adhuin posted:

Have you guys heard of our lord and saviour Insular Jesus?

Its the good old Christianity without any of the catholic junk, like Pope and crusades.

Convert now by calling 1800-NOPOPE and have your eternal salvation and 4 wives tomorrow.

No secular clergy appointments, no deal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

How do you do that, unless it's maybe dependent on religious stuff? I can't seduce my heir's wife because she's "not attracted to men"

An intrigue perk let's you seduce anybody regardless of sexuality

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

buglord posted:

What label does the game apply to the resulting offspring? Son-grandson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Homosexuality does not seem to have a fertility debuff in CK3 so I don't think you have to resort to that. The only thing I can tell is it changes who is receptive to seduction and who the AI will want to seduce.