Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm still early in the game, just got into the anomaly/multiplayer hub, only managed to buy it because I sold a million credit plant i got from a buried chest, those three keys were a pain to find and even managed to nab a gravitino ball. I did hole up to avoid sentinels and made some noise excavating to trigger the countdown, it was a fun experience ngl, this whole game is quite an exploration experience I rarely find in any other game in terms of scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so I've pretty much reached this point and uh

what do I... do now

Haha yeah my friend was telling me to basically power level and cheese my way to the end and i'm like uhh i literally explore every planet in a system cause that's what does it for me. Once you get a freighter it's great because you can use your exosuit scanners to get find some buildings and scan everything along the way. It's so amazing having your freighter as your mobile base.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I pre-ordered this and played a bit at release before bouncing off. And I just have to say I'm absolutely gobsmacked with how much they've improved this, like it doesn't even feel like the same game. There's so much poo poo to do and I keep finding new and interesting things as I bounce around. Freighters are phenomenal and exocrafts make exploring planets really enjoyable. The universe feels alive now and the biomes are just incredible. I know there are some min-max things to make cash meaningless, but at the same time it feels balanced enough that you can keep a good, steady stream of income going by just doing random and different poo poo. Digging up fossil bones, driving around like a madman in a massive storm to get storm crystals, pirating, mining, setting up industrial processing, missions, hunting and processing animal carcasses... it's crazy how much variety there is now and it's all really fun and rewarding.

I'm glad I finally came back to give it a shot. What an amazing turnaround.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm amazed how much some of the higher tier cooking stuff sells for, I just sold a cake for around 175,000 units. One cake.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I've played off and on for a few years now but I finally finished the Atlas Path last night for the very first time. Holy Moly this game's story hits all the right notes for me in terms of weirdness and just the right amount of vagueness to let my brain go places with the ideas. And now I feel like I have so much more to do and discover.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I uhh... just figured something kind of cool out. If you have your jumpdrive + the mods in the tech area you can put another group of 3 range extenders in the regular ship inventory without a conflict. My exotic can now jump over 2200ly. This also seems to work for pulse drive mods.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright i can confirm the planetary archives did not accept any of the 3 relics i picked up from those maps so unless it's a special time of artifact i'm stumped. My stasis chamber production has a few hiccups and now i've literally filled 9 storage bins with poo poo ready to be crafted haha. I gotta sit down and whittle down the crafting ingredients into higher tier stuff.

I'm pretty over solar power because when i teleport around it will be night time and the batteries are completely empty even though i should have twice the power demand stored for a night. Even my one base that has supplementary EM power still has trouble when i get there at night.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there something I can do on my freighter for some simple passive income generation? I'm probably going to get a (slack-rear end, unoptimized) indium farm going and I wanted to throw in another simple money scheme on my freighter if possible.

Keyword being "simple", I don't want to harsh my mellow with anything that takes a lot of brain power. :) Even if it's not optimized money.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ded posted:

I uhh... just figured something kind of cool out. If you have your jumpdrive + the mods in the tech area you can put another group of 3 range extenders in the regular ship inventory without a conflict. My exotic can now jump over 2200ly. This also seems to work for pulse drive mods.

This works for everything, and if you don't have six movement mods you owe it to yourself to do so.
Slightly related, another "weird trick they decided not to patch" thing, if you start sprinting, then melee+jump, you move a lot faster. It's still no exocraft, let alone a ship, but it's nice.

Hakarne posted:

Is there something I can do on my freighter for some simple passive income generation? I'm probably going to get a (slack-rear end, unoptimized) indium farm going and I wanted to throw in another simple money scheme on my freighter if possible.

Keyword being "simple", I don't want to harsh my mellow with anything that takes a lot of brain power. :) Even if it's not optimized money.

Recruit some Frigates, build some fleet command rooms, make a bunch of fuel. I'm not sure the best way to get tritium, but the best way to get dihydrogen is to just buy a bunch of dihydrogen jelly and break it down.
Talk to the guy on your bridge, send your dudes out to do missions for you. Check it, like, once a day for a bunch of minerals and money and stuff. I try to aim for 1 star above what the mission says to bring, and that seems to help with not needing to repair stuff much.

Also, you can plant things on your ship. If you use that Beyond Base Building mod, you can use ecodomes, but even without it you can use normal planters. Someone else will have to say what's actually a good plant for that because I've mostly just been growing weeds and fungi to burn for carbon and frost crystals for glass, but that's another passive thing--just run through and harvest the stuff every day, (Gravitino balls? Are gravitino balls the best choice if you don't want to craft?)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You kind of only have two options for Tritium - grind asteroids or shuffle around the docks waiting for a sailor.

You can buy it in fairly sizable amounts so that's imo the best option even if you at first have to find someone who's selling it. I usually just buy it whenever I see it and don't often run out, but I also tend to check what people are selling pretty often because buying alloys to make iridiscite/geodesite is also a pretty good return.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arghy posted:

Alright i can confirm the planetary archives did not accept any of the 3 relics i picked up from those maps so unless it's a special time of artifact i'm stumped.

yeah this is my experience as well, I think from the flavour text they want stuff from out of system but I've never remembered to keep that long enough to check

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Captain France posted:

Someone else will have to say what's actually a good plant for that because I've mostly just been growing weeds and fungi to burn for carbon and frost crystals for glass, but that's another passive thing--just run through and harvest the stuff every day, (Gravitino balls? Are gravitino balls the best choice if you don't want to craft?)

Circuit boards only require 4 plants to craft and are easily the best bang for your buck if you want to make easy money from farming.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 14, 2020

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I've definitely gotten screwed by those artifact terminals before by putting in a 200k artifact (from out of system) and getting a 150k one back. I assume they're either bugged or there's some obtuse risk-reward mechanic that I'll wait for others to figure out.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Decided to start a new save and I'm shopping around for a good starting planet (read: low sentinels). After six "ever present" starts, I've ended up on a radioactive planet with "irregular patrols", guess that's what I'm going with.

"Few" resources bothers me, but I'm sure I'll get by.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

You can view sentinel activity from orbit which means if that's all you're looking for you can scan pretty much the entire system from your warp in point. Jumping from system to system it shouldn't take too long to find a sentinel free non-radioactive hellhole.

Any planet that doesn't specifically list high sentinel activity should be pretty chill.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PSA that may already be common knowledge: i have just discovered that every ship you scrap gives you exactly one ship storage upgrade, regardless of the stats of the scrapped ship. so, if you want to max out your fleet inventories, the best way to do it is by buying the shittiest ships you can find, and avoiding high-inventory stuff. counterintuitive!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I'm at the point where my next jump initiates my first 'save freighter from pirates' thing for a free freighter. Is it true that the capital ships only appear in 3 star economy systems? I barely have any of those around me. I tried warping to the 'community spotlight' places in the anomaly and they don't have many rich planets around either.

Also, will a large capital ship ever appear for the first event?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can view sentinel activity from orbit which means if that's all you're looking for you can scan pretty much the entire system from your warp in point. Jumping from system to system it shouldn't take too long to find a sentinel free non-radioactive hellhole.

Any planet that doesn't specifically list high sentinel activity should be pretty chill.

I had forgotten that you leave your first planet pretty quick.

Now I'm on a volcanic planet (sent there by the quest) that is rad looking, with few sentinels...but not ideal.

If I just a abandon it for a different planet, can I still do all my quests on the new planet? Do I have to delete the old base?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok so I'm at the point where my next jump initiates my first 'save freighter from pirates' thing for a free freighter. Is it true that the capital ships only appear in 3 star economy systems? I barely have any of those around me. I tried warping to the 'community spotlight' places in the anomaly and they don't have many rich planets around either.

don't worry about getting the great one the first time. if you don't take the first freighter, the next one will be free. afaik, as long as you have never bought a freighter, freighters will always be free.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Devorum posted:

If I just a abandon it for a different planet, can I still do all my quests on the new planet? Do I have to delete the old base?

It's been a while since I've done the starting quest but yeah I'm pretty sure you can complete the quest anywhere and you don't have to delete anything.

Worst case scenario you can warp back to the old base.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

No, Capital ships spawn in any system once you meet the requirements, something like 3hr playtime and less then 5 jumps. The first free freighter is never a capital ship, you can turn it down if you want to go for the free capital ship.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Snack Bitch posted:

No, Capital ships spawn in any system once you meet the requirements, something like 3hr playtime and less then 5 jumps. The first free freighter is never a capital ship, you can turn it down if you want to go for the free capital ship.

Thank you for this! Not sure how much time I would have wasted looking for one without that tip.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Just to be clear that means the very first one to ever spawn, if you skip out on that encounter or turn down the freighter the next encounter will have a chance to be a capital ship but will still be free.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

What are the non-mission sources for freighter tech units and freighter storage units? I've been sending my fleets out on every mission for a week now and which has gotten me lots of money, materials, and ship storage units but just one tech unit and gently caress all storage for my freighter. I'm jonesing for that matter transmitter now that I have a capital with ten inventory rooms.

Also is there a list of freighter tech modules? The wiki only lists the hyperdrive upgrades and matter transmitter but I gather from upthread that some derelicts will give you always-on frigate mission buffs? Any source for those other than derelicts?

Elotana fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 14, 2020

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Elotana posted:

What are the non-mission sources for freighter tech units and freighter storage units? I've been sending my fleets out on every mission for a week now and which has gotten me lots of money, materials, and ship storage units but just one tech unit and gently caress all storage for my freighter. I'm jonesing for that inventory transmitter.

Also is there a list of freighter tech modules? The wiki only lists the hyperdrive upgrades but I gather from upthread that some derelicts will give you always-on frigate mission buffs? Any source for those other than derelicts?

Only reliable way I’ve found for freighter storage upgrades is derelicts.

For salvaged frigate modules to upgrade your freighter tech, just snipe them off of other freighters in-system. Don’t go for the free floating cargo pods as that hurts your standing. Go for the other freighters, look at the cargo pods and when you see one with a salvaged frigate module, destroy it and immediately begin boosting away in a straight line. Sentinels will show up but you will be out of range so they immediately disappear.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You have to raid neutral freighters for tech points. You can go after the standalone cargo pods but they’ll hurt your faction reputation, but the cargo pods attached to capital ships don’t. If you’re lucky you can come up on a fleet of big boys that will net you 4-6 in a go. You’ll also get a metric ton of space minerals and a few nanites for your trouble.

E;fb

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Muscle Tracer posted:

PSA that may already be common knowledge: i have just discovered that every ship you scrap gives you exactly one ship storage upgrade, regardless of the stats of the scrapped ship. so, if you want to max out your fleet inventories, the best way to do it is by buying the shittiest ships you can find, and avoiding high-inventory stuff. counterintuitive!

Not true. Lower class ships don't always give a storage upgrade. I too thought this after a run of 5 or 6 in a row, but then I had a run of 4 or 5 without. I think I read higher class ships have a better chance of storage upgrades from scrap, though? Not sure, didn't test it myself.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

Also is there a list of freighter tech modules? The wiki only lists the hyperdrive upgrades and matter transmitter but I gather from upthread that some derelicts will give you always-on frigate mission buffs? Any source for those other than derelicts?

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Salvaged_Fleet_Unit

These work similarly to other upgrade module types (you can have 3 of each type in the main freighter inventory and another 3 of each type in the tech tab), but rather than randomly rolled stats they are fixed by module class other than fuel and hyperdrive (which have fixed stats based on which derelict you find them on).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I used this guide (https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/bw25gg/perfect_freighter_guide/) a few days ago to get this:

Basically, NEVER take the first freighter as it isn't a capital one. The second one should always be a capital freighter, which knowing that lets you follow the guide and find your perfect one.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Hakarne posted:

I used this guide (https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/bw25gg/perfect_freighter_guide/) a few days ago to get this:

Basically, NEVER take the first freighter as it isn't a capital one. The second one should always be a capital freighter, which knowing that lets you follow the guide and find your perfect one.

I've gotta say as a new player it was pretty annoying to find out about this after I took the first crappy c class freighter that was offered out of sheer "oh man a free freighter" excitement and then later saw the second one I could have gotten was a huge red star destroyer. The game seems like it's come a long way but still has a lot of jank to it.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Took me 150 hours and building a Rusted Metal farm to realize that I could exit the game and the refiners would keep on chugging. I think between using portable refiners and hearing about disappearing mats, I never gave much thought to it, but hell I didn't want to just stand around for 20+ minutes.

Here's an unrelated derelict mission:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I was messing around visiting the community spotlight bases and noticed that somebody was doing something that was making my gek loyalty decrease even though I was just standing in a station. I was hearing some sort of weird noise in the background, like some kind of warning, and then would see my faction go down. I'm guessing that there is some sort of way to grief the standings of other people in your system.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

What are storm crystals for? I got one on this planet with a very strong blizzard, went to get a second one but by the time I reached it the blizzard subsided and had like three sentinels patrolling.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

a few crafting recipes use them

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Storm crystals are a healthy chunk of money to vendor trash in the early and mid game. You can also use them to build warp hyperfuel (which fully charges a ridiculously maxed out hyperdrive so you don't have to craft and use a ton of regular hyper fuel), plus several module blueprints.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

I've gotta say as a new player it was pretty annoying to find out about this after I took the first crappy c class freighter that was offered out of sheer "oh man a free freighter" excitement and then later saw the second one I could have gotten was a huge red star destroyer. The game seems like it's come a long way but still has a lot of jank to it.

You can get enough money for the capital freighter pretty quick. The fact that the first freighter is free is more of a shortcut that should be removed but I’m glad they didn’t cause it lets people play how they want.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

They should just make it clear to new players that capital class freighters exist and your first offer isn't one of them.

It'd be kinda cool to have freighter specializations the way ships do. Have an explorer freighter with extra warp range and the ability to instantly scan all planets, a hauler freighter with more inventory and maybe the ability to mass-gather space materials when you summon it in an asteroid field, and since freighters don't really fight, a carrier freighter with more frigate capacity and missions that regenerate on completion instead of a timer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

You can get enough money for the capital freighter pretty quick. The fact that the first freighter is free is more of a shortcut that should be removed but I’m glad they didn’t cause it lets people play how they want.

I like the free freighter, I just don't like the fact that a new player has no way of knowing that they should decline the first offer and they will get a way bigger and better one the second time around. The money isn't an issue, now that I understand how the game works I can get big bucks no problem but I can never go back and get that guaranteed capital ship ever again. I have to get the conditions met and then just hope it shows up.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

I like the free freighter, I just don't like the fact that a new player has no way of knowing that they should decline the first offer and they will get a way bigger and better one the second time around. The money isn't an issue, now that I understand how the game works I can get big bucks no problem but I can never go back and get that guaranteed capital ship ever again. I have to get the conditions met and then just hope it shows up.

Well the capital ships are guaranteed once you meets the arbitrary summoning time requirements and if you remember what system you saw red destroyer in, you can go back and get it. The capital model and color scheme are fixed per system. But yeah none of this is explained so that’s not helpful to new players. There’s a lot of stuff that I wish I had written down when I first started playing and understood all the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Navigation data also seems to stop mattering very soon in the game, they could stand to tone it down in the loot tables or at least let it refine into nanites like salvage data

Same with drop pods, which ought give you a random mod from the damaged machinery loot table once you have all your slots maxed