Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mennoknight posted:

Travis Hamonic is the best player left every team should sign him

A team like Calgary? Yeah, you're right. Calgary should sign Hamonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Given that Hamonic skipped the playoff bubble and his reasons for doing it I frankly doubt he wants to sign up for 20-21

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

grack posted:

A team like Calgary? Yeah, you're right. Calgary should sign Hamonic

no no, Calgary should sign Cody Ceci. He'd fit in well, with Calgary having a "C" logo and Ceci having 3 C's in his first and last name.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kilza posted:

no no, Calgary should sign Cody Ceci. He'd fit in well, with Calgary having a "C" logo and Ceci having 3 C's in his first and last name.

Why not both?!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

grack posted:

Why not both?!

:hmmyes:

Let's throw Karl Alzner in there as well. A hat trick of very good defensemen every team would love to have.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kilza posted:

Whoever signs Haula must make him wear 55. No exceptions.

Unless he signs in Minny, in which case they need to make him and dumba both wear 55.

Actually, Haula signing in Minny doesn't really make any sense so it'll probably happen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cody Ceci had one of the best GA/60 rel. in the league last season and at least one hfboards poster thinks this means that he is excellent defensively. What's on-ice save percentage or like occasionally making a positive offensive contribution, you ask? Well,

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
That top defensemen of all time list is a joke because it does not have Quinn Hughes at number 1.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Furnaceface posted:

Im assuming Athanasiou must be asking for something pretty significant if he is still out there. Duclair too.

AA isn't very good and most teams don't have the cap to commit in a potential reclamation project. My guess is it is a term problem not dollars. Duclair sort in the same boat, but I would much rather take a flyer on him.

The best forwards are Dadonov, Granlund, and Hoffman in that order. Vatanen is the most 'dependable' d guy and after him it is pretty dire.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
yall are forgetting former all star Jimmy Howard

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Wippersnapper posted:

That top defensemen of all time list is a joke because it does not have Quinn Hughes at number 1.

Ya

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wippersnapper posted:

Miro, but yes.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

eXXon posted:

Cody Ceci had one of the best GA/60 rel. in the league last season and at least one hfboards poster thinks this means that he is excellent defensively. What's on-ice save percentage or like occasionally making a positive offensive contribution, you ask? Well,

Cody Ceci is a fantastic offensive defenseman. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1291930771209388033?s=21

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Wippersnapper posted:

That top defensemen of all time list is a joke because it does not have Victor Hedman at number 1.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

OldSenileGuy posted:

Mikael Granlund, Mike Hoffman, Anthony Duclair, Evgeni Dadonov, Sami Vatanen, Erik Haula

Also a lower tier of guys like Brassard, Galchenyuk, Athanasiou, Soderberg

Also comedy options Karl Alzner, Cody Ceci, Justin Abdelkater, and the Dutch Gretzky himself, Dale Weise

And while it might seem like it, the Canucks haven't actually lost all their UFA's yet, Josh Leivo and Oscar Fantenberg are still out there unsigned

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1316177596498022400

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Now maybe they can squish their three crappy goalies together to make one good one

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Aaron Dell will be a fine Toronto Marlie.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's a really good deal for (a) Dell and I wish it were Pittsburgh signing him to it not Toronto.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

yall are forgetting former all star Jimmy Howard

Well, Carolina still needs a goalie

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Seems like the offseason is slowing down, which means it's time for :siren: TRIVIA :siren:

Before Alex Lafreniere, seven players who were drafted first overall have played for the Rangers. Name them.

Hints:

-The first two were both Montreal Canadiens draft picks, and were the only two to play for the Rangers at the same time
-The 1983 North Stars pick also played for the Whalers, Nordiques, Bruins, and Sharks
-The next three were picked in consecutive years
--The first of those by the only team to pick first overall in three consecutive years
--The second retired a Ranger
--Nobody remembers number two
-The most recent is in recent memory as a Ranger

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Nobody remembers number two" - Alex Daigle?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Brian Lawton I know.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Both correct, though I'm astounded that anyone knew Brian Lawton.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

This one is referring to Rick Nash, I believe

quote:

--The first of those by the only team to pick first overall in three consecutive years

I believe this one refers to Eric Lindros, though Quebec is not the only team to pick 1st overall in 3 consecutive years, since the Oilers did it as well in 2010-12 (and none of Hall, Nuge or Yak have played for the Rangers, lol)

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Rick Nash is the most recent, but I forgot he played for the Bruins at the very end in a deadline move and was thinking he retired a Ranger.

E: doh

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Guy Lafleur is one of the Canadiens

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Lindros is the easy one

Edit: drat how’d I forget about Nash?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Twin Cinema posted:

It's actually interesting, because I am unsure if Howe plays those extra WHA games in the NHL. I think part of the draw for him to play in Houston was because they were going to sign his sons, and that there was a lot of bad blood between him and the Wings. He also needed surgery to repair his wrist, as that's what forced him to retire a few years prior.

Like, he showed that he could have, I am just not sure if he would have. But, this all a hypothetical, and while I have read Howe's autobiography, my memory is a little fuzzy on the details.

This is correct.

The Red Wings' owner at the time always underpaid Gordie, and things came to a head towards the end of Gordie's time on the Wings, with ownership going after Colleen Howe for forcing the salary raise. Gordie was in the Wings' front office for a short time, but Mark and Marty Howe's junior careers were going very well, and the WHA had a lower entry age (18) than the NHL (20). Houston signed all three Howes, and Gordie, Mark, and Marty would play together from that point onward.

The wrist surgery was a lingering issue, but it wasn't really something Gordie felt like doing until he had something to really play for, playing with his sons. The unspoken issue in Detroit was that the Red Wings were steadily declining for years, as Jack Adams' legacy of roster turnover and chaos left the Wings as they were during Ken Holland's later years - in playoff contention, out of Cup contention, with a superstar about to retire and the best days behind the team.

By 1980, when the Howes were traded to Hartford and the Whalers joined the NHL, the Wings allowed Gordie and Mark to stay with Hartford and waived the NHL rights to claim them. Gordie wouldn't really reunite with the Red Wings' organization until Mike Ilitch bought the team and made amends with a lot of the guys run off by the Norris family.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hamrlik
E: retired with the Rangers being his last team played for

E2: poo poo I forgot about Berard too lol

Levitate fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 14, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

This is correct.

The Red Wings' owner at the time always underpaid Gordie, and things came to a head towards the end of Gordie's time on the Wings, with ownership going after Colleen Howe for forcing the salary raise. Gordie was in the Wings' front office for a short time, but Mark and Marty Howe's junior careers were going very well, and the WHA had a lower entry age (18) than the NHL (20). Houston signed all three Howes, and Gordie, Mark, and Marty would play together from that point onward.

The wrist surgery was a lingering issue, but it wasn't really something Gordie felt like doing until he had something to really play for, playing with his sons. The unspoken issue in Detroit was that the Red Wings were steadily declining for years, as Jack Adams' legacy of roster turnover and chaos left the Wings as they were during Ken Holland's later years - in playoff contention, out of Cup contention, with a superstar about to retire and the best days behind the team.

By 1980, when the Howes were traded to Hartford and the Whalers joined the NHL, the Wings allowed Gordie and Mark to stay with Hartford and waived the NHL rights to claim them. Gordie wouldn't really reunite with the Red Wings' organization until Mike Ilitch bought the team and made amends with a lot of the guys run off by the Norris family.

it's kinda ironic that the Wings are going through the exact same cycle right now as they did in the late 70s/early 80s, up to and including the ownership change (or at least in the people who sign the checks) and move to a new arena.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

Seems like the offseason is slowing down, which means it's time for :siren: TRIVIA :siren:

Before Alex Lafreniere, seven players who were drafted first overall have played for the Rangers. Name them.

Hints:

-The first two were both Montreal Canadiens draft picks, and were the only two to play for the Rangers at the same time
-The 1983 North Stars pick also played for the Whalers, Nordiques, Bruins, and Sharks
-The next three were picked in consecutive years
--The second retired a Ranger
--Nobody remembers number two

- Lafleur and is it Bobby Rousseau?
- Lawton
- Lindros
- Hamrlik -- but I don't remember him being a Ranger
- Daigle
- Nash

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

- Lafleur and is it Bobby Rousseau?
- Lawton
- Lindros
- Hamrlik -- but I don't remember him being a Ranger
- Daigle
- Nash

Correct on all but Rousseau. There is still one former Hab left.

I also forgot Bernard.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just looked it up and Rousseau started playing before the draft was even instituted. For some reason, I have him memorized as a 70s guy.

I looked up to see who the answer was, and while I knew he was a Habs pick, I never would have guessed him. I also forgot his name.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

it's kinda ironic that the Wings are going through the exact same cycle right now as they did in the late 70s/early 80s, up to and including the ownership change (or at least in the people who sign the checks) and move to a new arena.

The biggest difference is that after Gordie, the Wings had a much longer, bleaker stretch from 1966 to roughly 1987. The Wings lost to Montreal in the 1966 Stanley Cup Finals, then spent 21 years with the only playoff series victory coming in a 2-0 sweep of the Atlanta Flames. It took years of heckling and anger towards ownership to get them to sell, and even then, Ilitch, Yzerman, and the Joe all came in the first half of the 1980's.

Now, everyone figured things would be much harder without Nicklas Lidstrom, and everyone knew Stevie would and should be the GM someday. That rebuild came in a lot shorter span of time, all things considered.

edit: that one season where the Wings won a best of three playoff series? Their regular season record was 32-34-14, so many ties.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 14, 2020

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1316396765776621568

sure ok

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I think it would be best for everyone if the Wings just ceased operations and its history designated null and void.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

I think it would be best for everyone if the Wings just ceased operations and its history designated null and void.

1997 Good soup: :hmmyes:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The real reason the Flyers lost that series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1X5BPdvCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1316422089604304897