Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the follow-up to my story yesterday about getting a package from Poshmark that was apparently meant for a disgraced esports guy is that the account deleted the thing I'd commented on asking if they were looking for a package last night and then commented on my account this morning with "You can have it. It's not mine."

which is very wild because the label has that account name on it

the happy ending is that I opened it and it's a $200 dress in my girlfriend's size so it's hers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the follow-up to my story yesterday about getting a package from Poshmark that was apparently meant for a disgraced esports guy is that the account deleted the thing I'd commented on asking if they were looking for a package last night and then commented on my account this morning with "You can have it. It's not mine."

which is very wild because the label has that account name on it

the happy ending is that I opened it and it's a $200 dress in my girlfriend's size so it's hers now

Lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is it the esports dress

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Find his gf and let her know he's cheating

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

A cursed gamer dress, which forces you to interview a sweaty nerd every time you put it on.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Find his gf and let her know he's cheating

that's my thought too but when I found his Instagram, he just got married like four days ago

what's weirder is that the reason I know it's him is because the profile pic on the Poshmark account is a cropped photo of the wife which was easily reverse image searched for, but the name associated is like a joke on the esports guy's name that relates it to Borat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Codeacious posted:

A cursed gamer dress, which forces you to interview a sweaty nerd every time you put it on.

It turns you into a gamer, next thing you know your girlfriend will be staying up until 3AM screaming gamer words at the TV

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

It turns you into a gamer, next thing you know your girlfriend will be staying up until 3AM screaming gamer words at the TV

this guy's wife might be having some gamer words with him now if it turns out I tipped her off to him buying another woman a gift

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

There is no ethical gaming under capitalism

I guess free to play games where you don't spend any money? But even that probably has something about them that is bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

with the ps store delisting ps3/psp/vita titles from the web and mobile interfaces, i'm putting together a list of games to get before the change (the 19th)

for sure:
tomba 2, chulip, wild arms xf, devil summoner 2, tron bonne, crimson sea 2, shinobi, legend of dragoon, threads of fate

unsure:
fatal frame 1 & 2, echo night, shadow tower, digital devil saga 2 (i liked the first but dunno if i want to feel sad/depressed the whole time AGAIN), growlanser psp, growlanser ps2, parasite eve 2, jumping flash 2, gradius V or gradius collection maybe??, trapt

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Transistor

I liked Transistor more than Bastion and Pyre.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I got a discount key months and months back for Cyberpunk that seems non-refundable so I'll still play it but jeez I wish the industry in general would do better.

That Reddit post about screwing around in pre-production brings up an interesting point. When Rockstar was under fire for their crunch a few years back, it was noted that sweeping changes were made to RDR way late into production. So it seems like bad project management is just as much of an issue in games as employee mistreatment? Are things like that even avoidable from a development standpoint?

Also as others have noted Yakuza 7 is looking like a much better game at this point and I would totally just buy that and not CB if I wasn't already committed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Transistor

Divisive doesn't mean bad.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't even try Pyre because I didn't understand what it was. every time I looked at a stream for it they were just talking to someone that looked like a dude from Monster Rancher but a knight, with no actual gameplay

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Only things I remember from Transistor is the addictive battle system, killer soundtrack and the plot being kinda cool with couple unexpected twists.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I didn't even try Pyre because I didn't understand what it was. every time I looked at a stream for it they were just talking to someone that looked like a dude from Monster Rancher but a knight, with no actual gameplay

It's like bad NBA Jam. Pyre is actually a visual novel and that's just a minigame you have to sit through.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been watching a tiny bit of my roommate play through dark souls 3. Infuriatingly, he yolos all the time. I see him walk right past items dropped by enemies. Why can’t he play these games properly, i.e. the way I do

I’m kinda coming around to the idea that weapon upgrades - in the From soulslikes specifically - hamper experimentation in a really bummer way. You come across a new unique weapon that might work for your build but you may not use it because a) you already sunk currency into your current weapon and b) you’re used to your current weapon’s moveset and eccentricities. You have to willfully hamper your fighting prowess in those two ways if you switch, at least temporarily. And by “you”, I mean me, as I think that’s how I’ve often approached new weapons throughout the Souls games, and I think my roommate does it too. Just kinda a bummer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been watching a tiny bit of my roommate play through dark souls 3. Infuriatingly, he yolos all the time. I see him walk right past items dropped by enemies. Why can’t he play these games properly, i.e. the way I do

I’m kinda coming around to the idea that weapon upgrades - in the From soulslikes specifically - hamper experimentation in a really bummer way. You come across a new unique weapon that might work for your build but you may not use it because a) you already sunk currency into your current weapon and b) you’re used to your current weapon’s moveset and eccentricities. You have to willfully hamper your fighting prowess in those two ways if you switch, at least temporarily. And by “you”, I mean me, as I think that’s how I’ve often approached new weapons throughout the Souls games, and I think my roommate does it too. Just kinda a bummer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

transistor looked great and had a real melancholy vibe that i liked a lot but the combat just wasn't fun at all

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Having finished it, I'm still not sure I understand it. It's sort of 1/3 visual novel, 1/3 adventure game, 1/3 RPG, and 1/3 wizard basketball. It's about making a bunch of weirdos into a close group of friends and allies and helping them comes to terms with the course of their lives and where they'll go in the future. It's about overcoming systemic injustice while remaining part of that system. It's about finding empathy where you least expect it. It's about how history and stories of varying accuracy and perspective shape the present day. It's also about having a really beautiful soundtrack I still listen to (much like all the other supergiant games).

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

That Reddit post about screwing around in pre-production brings up an interesting point. When Rockstar was under fire for their crunch a few years back, it was noted that sweeping changes were made to RDR way late into production. So it seems like bad project management is just as much of an issue in games as employee mistreatment? Are things like that even avoidable from a development standpoint?

I highly suspect this is because of the modern trend of having AAA games be "experiences" rather than focusing on being, well, a game. Rockstar is the epitome of that; they're focused on huge, themed, cohesive settings and the actual gameplay is built around that. Then it takes a ton of iterations to tune the actual "game" part of it (core mechanics, pacing, controls, etc.) to something that's actually fun.

So perhaps not bad management so much as a backwards development process that builds style before substance.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

when i get a cool new weapon that i want to use i generally just pop into the crystal caves or lower new londo to farm up all the poo poo i need to max it out before continuing with the game. if i haven't gotten far enough to do that yet i just keep it in my back pocket until i can

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jay Rust posted:

I’m kinda coming around to the idea that weapon upgrades - in the From soulslikes specifically - hamper experimentation in a really bummer way. You come across a new unique weapon that might work for your build but you may not use it because a) you already sunk currency into your current weapon and b) you’re used to your current weapon’s moveset and eccentricities. You have to willfully hamper your fighting prowess in those two ways if you switch, at least temporarily.

I generally agree that this is a bad system in most games, but Dark Souls is a game that expects multiple playthroughs. It's frustrating on your first go, but it gives a lot of replay for subsequent runs because you can intentionally choose and build around individual weapons.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Cop unions aren't unions because cops aren't workers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2 and 3 eventually gives you unlimited resources to upgrade most weapons to at least +9.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/japo1j/facebook_account_banned_within_10_minutes/

Apparently Facebook's overly zealous autoban system can lock you out of using your Oculus Quest 2 entirely.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't support cop unions for more or less the same reasons I wouldn't support a slavers union

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Codeacious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/japo1j/facebook_account_banned_within_10_minutes/

Apparently Facebook's overly zealous autoban system can lock you out of using your Oculus Quest 2 entirely.

yeah they had said already facebook bans would leave you unable to use your hardware to warn people off of making fake accounts lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

yeah they had said already facebook bans would leave you unable to use your hardware to warn people off of making fake accounts lol

I want to say that seems illegal but alas, the USA.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is this the place to ask about controllers for PC gaming? I'm having some wrist issues that I'm trying to prevent from turning into RSI, so I'm looking into getting a decent gamepad and working with that for a while. Always preferred PlayStation controllers to Xbox ones, and I'd prefer wireless to wired, but I'm flexible. Any recommendations?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Codeacious posted:

Woof, those CDPR comments really encourage second thoughts about Cyberpunk. Was Witcher 3 development like that too? The Reddit comment heavily implies yes.

And still banning people talking about refunds too, I'd imagine. drat, that's disgusting. Did they even restore the ability to play old WC3?

I still feel bad for that time I download-shared MGSV, but got like 20 minutes in before realizing how much I'd want to see my achievements and progress and I broke down and bought for only a small discount.

Looks like for Cyberpunk it will be less unethical to download-share, which is fitting, because our IRL cyberpunk dystopia is such that I can't just be spending 60 bucks on games like I used to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

People here have been asking for this to happen for years. It really should just happen already. Blizzard/Activision titles shouldnt be welcomed here.

At the very least we should rename it to the Activision Sucks sub.

Stop calling them Blizzard. They aren't Blizzard. Everything Blizzard is gone. Its just Activision now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
nobody said getting bingo would be easy...but here's one of my bookshelves

and what's that in the treasure chest?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kestral posted:

Is this the place to ask about controllers for PC gaming? I'm having some wrist issues that I'm trying to prevent from turning into RSI, so I'm looking into getting a decent gamepad and working with that for a while. Always preferred PlayStation controllers to Xbox ones, and I'd prefer wireless to wired, but I'm flexible. Any recommendations?

My recommendation would be to buy a wired Xbox 360 knockoff for twenty bucks since they don't make the official ones anymore. But the rest of your requirements rule that out, so just grab whatever the wireless playstation equivalent is. Only major thing that is important is that it be a controller and layout you like, but xbox/ps controllers tend to get more official support for obvious reasons.

Also looks like you can straight up use a ps4 controller if you want: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-on-pc/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah the upgrade system locks you in and that's ultimately a bad thing. They do try to help with the tiers of upgrade materials, like once your sword needs 4 large titanite you can always burn small titanite on other weapons because it can't help, so you can "catch up" every so often, but then there's weapons with glowing titanite or demon titanite... things get funky.

I've gone even further to the point where I think the idea of "character levels" needs to be done away with. Its a crutch of RPG design. We gotta move past that and think of better things. Even in tabletop roleplaying I prefer not to have strict "levels". Its weird and artificial.

Sekiro is so good because it has no weapon upgrades and no character levels.

Hoping Elden Ring is the best of both worlds; have different weapons and armor sets so you can have character builds, but don't have weapon upgrades or character levels.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kestral posted:

Theoretically we have a PC gaming megathread which got three pages of posts and then promptly died

The Steam thread tends to handle general PC gaming topics

This thread can and will discuss anything gaming-related so ask away!

Am I understanding you're fine with just completely normal controllers, and don't need a special RSI one? In that case, if you like playstation controllers, dualshock 4s work extremely easily on PC. Especially if you have Steam open, it will convert the signals to XInput so even games which only natively support xbox controllers will work fine with a dualshock

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Sekiro is so good because it has no weapon upgrades and no character levels.

It's a large part of why I'm not interested in it tbh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

only use a ds4 and it all works well, steams controller handling is fantastic. shame we had to rely on valve fixing pad support bcos ms decided to arbitrarily create a new standard to try and force people to buy xbox controllers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kestral posted:

Honestly the Xbox One and PS4 controllers are probably the best. Economy of scale means they can have really good components and reasonable cost. For 3rd part you're either looking at cheap crap or expensive stuff that's marginally the same.

If you're cool with wired, both Xbox One and PS4 controllers just simply plug in to a PC with USB and work out of the box really well.

For wireless, I've found trying to use generic bluetooth is unreliable; both Sony and Microsoft make a specific dongle that you can insert to a PC USB and they work perfect for wifi with the respective controller. They're a bit pricey but I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

If you're cool with wired, both Xbox One and PS4 controllers just simply plug in to a PC with USB and work out of the box really well.

I replaced my broken wired 360 controller with an Xbone one. It didn't even need the batteries in which is nice, makes it lighter.

It's okay but I miss the 360 one lol. That's really only because I used it for like a decade though.