Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep, it knocks temps down by ~5c for me. Worth doing on an FE for sure, can't speak for AIBs though since not all of them are overbuilt like the TUF Gaming cards.

Neat. What are your undervolting settings? I dragged everything down -300 and then dragged 950mV to 1950MHz. It seems to work well so far, but I'm wondering how low people are going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

space marine todd posted:

Neat. What are your undervolting settings? I dragged everything down -300 and then dragged 950mV to 1950MHz. It seems to work well so far, but I'm wondering how low people are going.

That’s roughly what I did though I started at -290 core clock and capped voltage at 900mV and went to 1905 as my boost target. Been fine as far as I can tell.

I’ve seen people report going down as far as 806/827mV at or close to the ~1700 boost clock target Nvidia uses.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That’s roughly what I did though I started at -290 core clock and capped voltage at 900mV and went to 1905 as my boost target. Been fine as far as I can tell.

I’ve seen people report going down as far as 806/827mV at or close to the ~1700 boost clock target Nvidia uses.

Thanks! Is there a difference in starting at -290 vs -300? Maybe a dumb question, but I have also seen -290 come up in guides I have seen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thanks! Is there a difference in starting at -290 vs -300? Maybe a dumb question, but I have also seen -290 come up in guides I have seen.
If it means anything, it might just correspond to the voltage they saw for a certain clock they wanted during stress tests/benchmarks.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Cygni posted:

not really, just lots of 3080 wanting/getting/complaining etc. Big Navi announcement in 13 days, 3070 launch in 14 days. continue gaming.

I'm in this thread, I want a 3080 but not at the length of using scripts and bots and you just made me realize I've ben playing the Blackwell point and click games lately. Very taxing stuff for my computer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure he'll be back to being wrong about everything soon

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Back to publicly pointing out how wrong he is about everything. "Retirement" hasn't made him any less of an idiot, just less vocal about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ufarn posted:

If it means anything, it might just correspond to the voltage they saw for a certain clock they wanted during stress tests/benchmarks.

More or less, I was just working off someone else's rule of thumb and went from there and targetd a balanced approach that still gave me high boost (and consistent!) clocks and still saved me some wattage. I'm sure I could be more efficient, but waiting for an instability to happen because not all workloads are the same can be a bit tiring. So with what I got, I found a pretty good balance and I haven't seen any CTD's. Even went so far as to play Control start to finish with max settings including RTX and DLSS.

This is the video I referenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClh4270yg0

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

More or less, I was just working off someone else's rule of thumb and went from there and targetd a balanced approach that still gave me high boost (and consistent!) clocks and still saved me some wattage.

This is the video I referenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClh4270yg0

I watched this on my work computer which doesn't have an adblocker (I don't have a Pi Hole set up yet) and I got an Honey ad featuring Linus. So gently caress you dude. :mad:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FuturePastNow posted:

Where "everything" includes his retirement, yeah.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FuturePastNow posted:

He'll be back to be completely wrong about airfryers and other kitchen equipment on a new channel

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I watched this on my work computer which doesn't have an adblocker (I don't have a Pi Hole set up yet) and I got an Honey ad featuring Linus. So gently caress you dude. :mad:

I don't know what a Youtube ad is anymore since I pay for Youtube Premium. I'm sorry. :jerry:

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Black Sunshine posted:

Let's say I buy a 2070 S and want to step to a 3080 but the wait is so drat long that a refresh comes out before I'm offered a card. Would I be able to step to a 3080 Super/ti or would I be stuck with the vanilla 3080?

To add on to what Cream-of-Plenty said, I went the step-up route with a 2070S and my understanding is you can cancel your step-up and choose another card if you're still in the queue within your 90 days-from-purchase window. So if I decide to get a 3070 instead when they come out in a couple weeks, assuming one is offered, I could cancel my 3080 step-up and start a 3070 step-up, since I would still be within the 90 day window. But if I'm still in the queue in January (a strong possibility) and a 3080 ti/super/20GB is released then I couldn't start a new step-up since I'd be past the window. It seems likely that you could get a 3080 sooner than doing step-up if you're motivated to keep F5'ing, but on the other hand you could get a significant upgrade right now while not being chained to your F5 key and get a shiny new(ly obsolete :v:) 3080 in a few months.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

DrDork posted:

e; the only card I'd be giving the side-eye at in terms of AIB rebates would be the ASUS TUF non-OC, which at $699 simply seems to be too good for its price. Everything else looks priced about right, and bumping everything by $50-$100 over existing prices as the "real" price would make no sense with the FE where it is.

There's been barely any trace of the non OC TUF. At least in Europe they were only available in minute numbers on launch day and nothing has been delivered since. I pre ordered one but it's looking like a bad decision. OC one's have been arriving regularly of course :rolleyes:

Wonder if it was just a ploy to at least have 1 card at RRP on launch

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Warmachine posted:

Make friends with your IT department? In my short time with one, PiHoles don't work on youtube ads anyways.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Make friends with your IT department? In my short time with one, PiHoles don't work on youtube ads anyways.

I'm mostly just lazy. I don't think there's any reason I can't throw one on here, except for some reaching justification that it might mess with something I need to look at for work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I'm mostly just lazy. I don't think there's any reason I can't throw one on here, except for some reaching justification that it might mess with something I need to look at for work.

I mean it can’t be that hard to install unlock and turn it off on your work sites.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

I mean it can’t be that hard to install unlock and turn it off on your work sites.

Warmachine posted:

I'm mostly just lazy.

Warmachine posted:

just lazy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It takes fewer keystrokes to install an adblock than it does to c/p all that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PiHole doesn't work on YouTube ads sadly, still need a browser based blocker for that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Enos Cabell posted:

PiHole doesn't work on YouTube ads sadly, still need a browser based blocker for that.

I was wondering why that was the case. I've been using uBlock Origin for like 10 years now and it works great (however I have been getting Twitch ads suddenly? gently caress they suck and i want them gone) and never saw a youtube ad but my TCL TV has ads on the youtube app so about 2-3 weeks ago I installed pihole on my NAS and re-routed the DNS through it, but I'm still getting youtube ads on it. i guess theres no other way around it is there?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah they're serving them up from the same place as the videos so it can't do it's thing. I hear a fix for the twitch thing is in the stable branch and should be rolling out soon.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

I was wondering why that was the case. I've been using uBlock Origin for like 10 years now and it works great (however I have been getting Twitch ads suddenly? gently caress they suck and i want them gone) and never saw a youtube ad but my TCL TV has ads on the youtube app so about 2-3 weeks ago I installed pihole on my NAS and re-routed the DNS through it, but I'm still getting youtube ads on it. i guess theres no other way around it is there?

YouTube ads run off the same sever as YouTube videos. Since Pihole uses ip/server based blocking it can’t tell the difference. Browser based ones can read the text on the page/video and verify it’s an add.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Heliosicle posted:

There's been barely any trace of the non OC TUF. At least in Europe they were only available in minute numbers on launch day and nothing has been delivered since. I pre ordered one but it's looking like a bad decision. OC one's have been arriving regularly of course :rolleyes:

Wonder if it was just a ploy to at least have 1 card at RRP on launch

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I mean, if I were the AIBs right now I'd be doing the same thing: churn out only the more expensive versions to enjoy the higher margins while there's zero competition to worry about.

Once inventory catches up, and if the Radeon 6900 turns out to be any good, we'll see more of the actual MSRP versions as they look to slot in some more price-competitive options. But right now, why would you bother? Sucks hard for consumers, though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

you're not lazy you have executive dysfunction (from add probably)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The first Canadian 3080 Strix has been spotted. I think he might be a Newegg customer.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/mississauga-peel-region/asus-rog-strix-rtx-3080-oc-in-hand/1529755240

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Xaris posted:

:same:

Actually I might have figured it out just now by playing around with the filters. I had gstatic.com and jtvnw.net domain names allowed previously. After blocking those, I haven't seen any ads on twitch yet.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

The first Canadian 3080 Strix has been spotted. I think he might be a Newegg customer.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/mississauga-peel-region/asus-rog-strix-rtx-3080-oc-in-hand/1529755240

The box behind it suggest it was from Asus direct.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The box behind it suggest it was from Asus direct.

I think it was a mistake to have "preordered" in the first place. They'll happily take the money without having any plan what so ever to bring stock in. I likely would've had better luck if I got one of those distill.io extensions or a snatcher bot and taken my chances with Newegg and switched over to the FTW3. I grossly underestimated how difficult this was gonna be and simply trusting a Canadian retailer to have stock may have been a critical error.

We don't even know if their "active purchase order of 158 cards" or whatever is the truth. It could be some exhausted CC employee just telling us what we want to hear so we'd stop calling. Maybe there isn't a purchase order. Maybe they just collected a bunch of backorders for money up front and are content to squat on the cash without having any kind of plan to bring in stock.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
My B&H order for the non oc asus card is still sitting without a delivery date. They dunno when they’re gonna get them in so I cancelled and got a refund.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wouldn't be surprised if Asus quietly killed the non-OC TUF 3080. They made it too good and priced it too low. :negative:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Twitch ads can be escaped using streamlink + twitch GUI since those get the direct feed. Just can’t easily make clips, but you can easily get to pop out chat.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I think it was a mistake to have "preordered" in the first place. They'll happily take the money without having any plan what so ever to bring stock in. I likely would've had better luck if I got one of those distill.io extensions or a snatcher bot and taken my chances with Newegg and switched over to the FTW3. I grossly underestimated how difficult this was gonna be and simply trusting a Canadian retailer to have stock may have been a critical error.

We don't even know if their "active purchase order of 158 cards" or whatever is the truth. It could be some exhausted CC employee just telling us what we want to hear so we'd stop calling. Maybe there isn't a purchase order. Maybe they just collected a bunch of backorders for money up front and are content to squat on the cash without having any kind of plan to bring in stock.

I cancelled my pre-order and got a refund for that card because at this point, none of the retailers really have a solid idea of when they'll be getting stock. I'd rather wait for a few months and drop the cash when it seems I can buy something tangible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wolfenstein youngblood got updated to dlss 2.1, and the avengers game just got dlss patched in

two bad games but it's more dlss adoption at least

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

repiv posted:

wolfenstein youngblood got updated to dlss 2.1, and the avengers game just got dlss patched in

two bad games but it's more dlss adoption at least

I got a free copy of Avengers with my 10600k purchase and they wouldn't let me leave without printing the redemption code out on a receipt and circling it. They wouldn't let me leave!

I also got a free t-shirt with my purchase and I've worn it twice; it fits very well.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I've got my preorder in and am smiling serenely as I know that my card WILL get here well before the end of the year. and that's a dang promise

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I got a free copy of Avengers with my 10600k purchase and they wouldn't let me leave without printing the redemption code out on a receipt and circling it. They wouldn't let me leave!

I also got a free t-shirt with my purchase and I've worn it twice; it fits very well.

The "please clap" of the video game industry.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if Asus quietly killed the non-OC TUF 3080. They made it too good and priced it too low. :negative:

Asus cut the strix non OC and are most likely binning the gently caress out of their chips. 3 bins

They need the TUF non-OC for the worst chips.

Def getting a strix.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
How hot is "too hot" for an Nvidia GPU?

My 970 runs at a balmy 70C at 60% fan when running folding@home, so I'm not worried about that one.

I just got my wife into folding on her 1060, and even with custom fan curves it managed to hit 80C at 70% fan, so I nudged the curve up and got it back down to around 75C at 90% fan.

That seems awfully hot for the 1060; the room is slightly warm but not wildly so. I'll bumped up her case fans as well as I could with the limited control I have over that; I'll be updating that next month or so, but still . . . I could smell an "electronics" smell from her case, which seems . . . not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The OC results from the reviews of all the brands suggest its less about bins and more about margins to me. If they can get everyone to buy the identical in production cost OC version for more money, or step them up to even more expensive premium models, they are only gonna make those until its saturated. It's the same reason you very rarely saw $999 2080 Tis even though everyone announced one, they very rarely sat in stock long enough to bother making the cheap versions.

Also why the only Evga parts i've seen in quantity have been FTW3 Ultras. Why bother flashing the boards with the Gaming BIOS off the assembly line when you know you will insta sell the Ultras anyway?