Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Understandable, but kinda hard not to be cynical about people coming back in the same time that patreons are being allowed.

Augus posted:

If you see anybody now suddenly considering returning to SA I can assure you it probably has less to do with being allowed to link your patreon at the top of an LP and more to do with the fact that a certain horrible moron is no longer in charge of this website as of a few days ago

But why not both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
IMO you guys don't have to, but I think trying to spend time with the FYAD folks or try to understand their posting style would go a long way. we're all on the same website here and lowtax is gone, lets just make this place better :)

E: the fyad posters i've interacted with on here or twitter are very nice and chill. I think there's just a lot of miscommunication across the different subforums and that is what creates confusion/hostility

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Leal posted:

L 👏 P 👏 should 👏 be 👏 free 👏
not 👏 motivated 👏 by 👏 money 👏

Counterpoint: money gates gave us this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Apart from the end, because gently caress Lowtax.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Imo, Internet personality chip cheezum makes entertaining and informative videos about video games that I don’t want to play

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counterpoint: money gates gave us this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Apart from the end, because gently caress Lowtax.

You done me dirty

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It's good for people to be able to make some scratch off their hobbies. If you're worried about people registering on SA in the hopes of striking it rich as the next big LP star then A) that's ridiculous and B) who cares?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I mean I agree people should be free to do whatever hobby they like without worry of money and all, but they still need to make rent and we don't have a UBI/welfare system to allow it so it's hard to care that the OP of their post is now allowed to have 'hey if you like this here's my patreon'.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ariong posted:

It's good for people to be able to make some scratch off their hobbies. If you're worried about people registering on SA in the hopes of striking it rich as the next big LP star then A) that's ridiculous and B) who cares?

A now successful PUBG streamer regged just to push his nascent stream in the PUBG thread. So I guess it works.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Archer666 posted:

Understandable, but kinda hard not to be cynical about people coming back in the same time that patreons are being allowed.

They've been allowed for a while at this point dude, they aren't looking at this forum with dollar signs in their eyes like Scrooge McDuck

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

A now successful PUBG streamer regged just to push his nascent stream in the PUBG thread. So I guess it works.

people still play PUBG?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Cynical about people coming back after the bare minimum of self promotion was allowed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me, registering at a dead gay comedy forum to plug my pateron exactly once: finally my gravy train has come in

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

but it's a change that was made months ago. members of the community that left because of lowtax shouldn't be regarded with suspicion for returning after he's gone.

Leal posted:

this website is a website that you paid :10bux: to post in. everybody who joined the forums to participate in an LP thread (not a small amount of people) paid money to do so and until just a few days ago that money went to a giant rear end in a top hat that abuses women. the LP subforum was always monetized.

goons donate to other goons all the time anyway, we're in a pandemic with no end in sight and the world is on fire.
also the LP mods would shut down anyone trying to take advantage

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Warren posted:

Is there any other youtube channel like this out there you guys would recommend? I already know about ManadloreGaming and Sseth, but I wouldn't mind finding other channels to check out
I like Indeimaus on the same level of "compress this video game into a video"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?indeimaus?featured

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ariong posted:

Sir, this is SA. Caring about dumb poo poo is what we do around here.

Arist posted:

They've been allowed for a while at this point dude, they aren't looking at this forum with dollar signs in their eyes like Scrooge McDuck

gently caress if I know, I never go there. The other guy made it seem like this was a new development, but if its been allowed for a while then I'm less cynical about them coming back.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It is good, to be paid for your hobby

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the spectre of capitalism is haunting the let's play forum

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
imagine if Lowtax had monetized the let's play forum and its superstars in the nascent days of "watch other people play video games" popularity

he could have finally gotten that pedal hyperhydrosis treatment and this whole situation avoided

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Leal posted:

People should be able make money off of hobbies if people are willing to donate to them. LPs are not and never really were pseudo-hobbies they're just regular hobbies.

This reads like you're demanding people just keep making stuff for the sake of making it and we don't live in the type of world where people can just do that. Sorry?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

people still play PUBG?

I think he's a variety guy now. Most people moved to Apex but he didn;'t like it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

imagine if Lowtax had monetized the let's play forum and its superstars in the nascent days of "watch other people play video games" popularity

he could have finally gotten that pedal hyperhydrosis treatment and this whole situation avoided

All the goldbelly cookies could have been his!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It does seem a little weird to me that the dude was so hardcore into techno-utopian futurism and conservative nostalgia at the same time.
The futurism is the resolution to the contradiction between seeing social problems and rejecting social change. Technology will somehow fix everything and reinforce the status quo. It is a pretty common line of thinking.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why are people responding to that Leal post as though it's an earnest opinion? Don't the clap emotes give it away as obvious sarcasm?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why are people responding to that Leal post as though it's an earnest opinion? Don't the clap emotes give it away as obvious sarcasm?

because it directly followed a prior post from them that expressed the exact same sentiment in a non-jokey way?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No saying the posts shouldn't be made, just that they seem to be replying to the wrong person.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This thread gives me vertigo so bad I feel like I'm walking down the side of a building sometimes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGmsxBMnjA
Monstrum on Part 1 on 3 on the history of zombies (weird that Target is sponsoring this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khsmqy76PnY
Soundfield on Noise and Experimental music (mainly focused on the Black, Queer, POC artists)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
even purely from the watching side of things, people making money off LP means they can spend more of their limited time doing it, which also means more content for you, the viewer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good Bad or Bad Bad reviewed Stone Cold, the biker action movie that made Brian "The Bos" Bosworth the action star we all know and love today. It is an amazing movie on all levels.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The problem I have the 'well, what's wrong with people making money off of their hobby?' argument is that at some point, it stops being a hobby, and starts becoming a job. I think the issue with making money off of being a content creator through Patreon is that if you decide to switch gears to something new, or you get burned out and want to take a break, you can easily lose you patrons and be out of revenue.

Plus, depending on your setup, you might have people donating with the stipulation that you play [X], or talk about [Z], and then you have to decide whether you want to go through with it, or reject it.

Like, set up a Ko-Fi or something instead. At least that way, you get some tips for your work, and you're not basing your livelihood based off it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Max Wilco posted:

The problem I have the 'well, what's wrong with people making money off of their hobby?' argument is that at some point, it stops being a hobby, and starts becoming a job.
Yes, and a much better job than almost any other. That's not really a downside.
Managing viewer's expectations and your workload so you don't get burned out is something that comes down to the specific content creator, and in general it's better to do variety rather than just be the guy who streams overwatch or whatever. (coincidentally, I've seen a number of streamers successfully pivot away from being a 'just one game forever' streamer for the sake of their own enjoyment, so it's not like you're stuck there forever.)

Max Wilco posted:

Plus, depending on your setup, you might have people donating with the stipulation that you play [X], or talk about [Z], and then you have to decide whether you want to go through with it, or reject it.
This is basically just not an actual problem and I have never seen any reaction to something like this other than telling the donator in question to pound sand, I'm playing what I want. which also strengthens the connection with the rest of the audience because they all get to laugh at the weirdo who's trying to bribe the guy to play minecraft or whatever

anyways no one who actually wants to make money will use ko-fi instead of subscription services like patreon because subscription services are way, way better at making money

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of weird that people started complaining about Patreon links in forum posts in response to a person asking twitter if SA is okay again and them being met with a resounding "Eeehhhh?" Also they haven't actually posted anything yet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

The problem I have the 'well, what's wrong with people making money off of their hobby?' argument is that at some point, it stops being a hobby, and starts becoming a job. I think the issue with making money off of being a content creator through Patreon is that if you decide to switch gears to something new, or you get burned out and want to take a break, you can easily lose you patrons and be out of revenue.

Like, set up a Ko-Fi or something instead. At least that way, you get some tips for your work, and you're not basing your livelihood based off it.

okay cool but "patreon links are banned because we want to help you maintain a healthy and stable work/life balance" would be a kinda weird thing for a subforum to be enforcing
especially weird coming from a thread filled with people who have at some point in time contributed money to the patreons of former thread regulars like hbomberguy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bar Crow posted:

The futurism is the resolution to the contradiction between seeing social problems and rejecting social change. Technology will somehow fix everything and reinforce the status quo. It is a pretty common line of thinking.

Yeah that’s a very good observation and also explains poo poo like his close contemporary Henry Ford becoming obsessed with machinery and ways of transforming human workers into machinery while commissioning a replica medieval village on the grounds of his monstrously large estate.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Augus posted:

okay cool but "patreon links are banned because we want to help you maintain a healthy and stable work/life balance" would be a kinda weird thing for a subforum to be enforcing
especially weird coming from a thread filled with people who have at some point in time contributed money to the patreons of former thread regulars like hbomberguy

I didn't say Patreon links should be banned. I'm just saying you should really consider if you want to turn your hobby into a career.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IronicDongz posted:

This is basically just not an actual problem and I have never seen any reaction to something like this other than telling the donator in question to pound sand, I'm playing what I want. which also strengthens the connection with the rest of the audience because they all get to laugh at the weirdo who's trying to bribe the guy to play minecraft or whatever
A few creators I follow have talked about it being one of their fears; that if they pivot whatever they're doing then they'd lose patreons that let them create on top of be punished by youtube because of the change in content, but the majority response in comments has always been "do what you want to because otherwise your content will suffer anyway from you not wanting to do it".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
No matter what, its a very good thing Voidburger got unbanned just by virtue of the fact that she was vindicated like a billion times over for the whole "Lowtax is a scumbag" thing.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1315347778051153920

:unsmith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sohla meets her toughest challenge yet: self-imposed hard mode while setting things on fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsJC1nuqVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VoidBurger is very cool and it would be very cool if they returned, but I also would understand if they still wanted to stay away. I hope SA continued to become a more welcoming place for people to join from now on, and really hope Jeffrey does his best in improving things and somehow getting the word out that this is a great forum to join now that it's been wrestled from the apathy golem it was caught in the clutches of