Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

If it's not Armstrong, then it's gotta be either Chevy or Treliving, or my reasoning is wrong somewhere in that train of thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_X4ngDIyFk

Your reasoning is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That video is exactly how I remember the early 90s. It's glorious.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Tom Fitzgerald

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'll add some Blue Jackets trivia, for those other than Sprague, who I'm sure knows them.

The Blue Jackets have had six captains in team history. "Easy" question: name them.

All but the current captain played 1000+ NHL games. Which CBJ captain played the most NHL games?
Hint: He played 1417 NHL games

Which two CBJ captains played for eight NHL teams?
Hint: One played for San Jose Sharks, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Red Wings, Carolina Hurricanes, Phoenix Coyotes, Dallas Stars. The other played for Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, Phoenix Coyotes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins.

Which three CBJ captains won the Stanley Cup?
Hint: 1993 Canadiens, 1996/2001 Avalanche, 2006 Hurricanes

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/soIoucity/status/1316552551710552065

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh man I'd love to have a jersey that only said CHILL on it hahaha

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Cocaine Bear posted:

Melnyk says the Sens will win a cup within 4 years. Guess he's selling the team! :toot:

This fits perfectly into his timeframe of Five Years Of Unparalleled Success (FYOUS), and I am looking forward to it

Also apparently Adidas leaked that Brady is the new captain, which owns

https://imgur.com/r/hockey/3d8ODOd

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good soup! posted:

Oh man I'd love to have a jersey that only said CHILL on it hahaha

Everything about the Columbus Chill is rad and good. The Blue Jackets need a Chill-themed Stadium Series game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Chill Factor" is a great book and you can knock it out in a weekend.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Schremp Howard posted:

Amazingly there are 22 GMs that are former players, and 9 of them were still in the league in the year 2000. In case we really want to go down a rabbit hole of trivia.

E: I can't read and Zodijackylite put everything much more eloquently than I did.

Now that I have read his list, I can't believe I was blanking on some obvious ones. Guys like Sakic and Yzerman should have been easy ones.

Zodijackylite posted:

I'll add some Blue Jackets trivia, for those other than Sprague, who I'm sure knows them.

The Blue Jackets have had six captains in team history. "Easy" question: name them.

I must not be the only one who can't name more than one Blue Jackets captain.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have a vague memory of captain Sergei Fedorov of the Columbus Blue Jackets, but it may be a fever dream.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

eXXon posted:

I have a vague memory of captain Sergei Fedorov of the Columbus Blue Jackets, but it may be a fever dream.
I don't think he was. He was added late in 05-06 season and was gone pretty soon after. Adam Foote was their captain iirc

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I guess Scott Gomez got bored and started a YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_5IC7niQs

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

How's about we do STUPID BLUES TRIVIA?

1. Dan Kelly was the longtime voice of the club on KMOX radio, and his son John is currently the TV commentator. However Dan did not join KMOX until the 1968-69 season. Who called Blues games in their inaugural season?
2. What major corporation purchased the Blues in the late '70s strictly because they wanted to keep all four major sports (this was when the Spirits were still in the ABA, and about a decade before Big Red upped sticks for Phoenix) in the STL metro area?
3. Said major corporation underwent a leadership change in the '80s, and the new chairman liked sports...but not hockey, rather horse racing. During this time they gutted the team staff and decided to just not attend the 1983 NHL Draft. If the Blues had gone to that draft, what place would they have picked in the 1st round, and indeed who went in that place?
4. The lure of nightlife on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River, where bars can stay open to 4 am and strip clubs are unrestricted, was notorious amongst NHL players in the '90s. And you've likely heard the story of Brett Hull borrowing Blues head coach Bob Berry's Jaguar XJ, going over to the East Side, and partying it up. But what visiting NHL player was arrested in a Sauget motel room with a sex worker and several grams of crack?
5. When Harry Ornest purchased the Blues in the mid-80s thus avoided the team moving to Saskatchewan, what was the first thing he did with the team, on advice of his wife?
6. What was the compensation the club originally offered the New Jersey Devils following the signing of Brendan Shanahan in 1991? (Bonus points: with whose wife did Brendan Shanahan sleep with, which led to him being sent to Hartford in exchange for Chris Pronger?)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 15, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

1. Dan Kelly was the longtime voice of the club on KMOX radio, and his son John is currently the TV commentator. However Dan did not join KMOX until the 1968-69 season. Who called Blues games in their inaugural season?

I don't know if he was on play by play or color but I'm almost positive this was Jack Buck for a year or two

E: #2 is... god wasn't it something weird like a pet food company? was it purina?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 15, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I don't know if he was on play by play or color but I'm almost positive this was Jack Buck for a year or two

E: #2 is... god wasn't it something weird like a pet food company? was it purina?

I don’t know it, but Purina is in St. Louis so I’ll back this guess.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
4 is Kevin Stevens and yeah it was Purina, they even padlocked the Checkerdome.

Edit: was 6 Scott Stevens and the bonus points was Craig Janney's wife?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Troy Queef posted:

But what visiting NHL player was arrested in a Sauget motel room with a sex worker and several grams of crack?

Kevin Stevens?

e: one day I'll read the thread first...all 6 posts of it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

stab posted:

Edit: was 6 Scott Stevens and the bonus points was Craig Janney's wife?

They were awarded Scott Stevens in the end by an arbitrator, but I don't think that was the original offer. Wasn't it something like 4 picks 5 years in the future because the Blues had already given away their next four firsts?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/status/1316702870608240640

Switzerland seems like a lovely place to play in the twilight of your career. :unsmith:

And also remain neutral in the impending World War.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

All but the current captain played 1000+ NHL games. Which CBJ captain played the most NHL games?
Hint: He played 1417 NHL games

Hint: One played for San Jose Sharks, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Red Wings, Carolina Hurricanes, Phoenix Coyotes, Dallas Stars. The other played for Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, Phoenix Coyotes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins.

1. Lyle Odelein, Ray Whitney, Adam Foote, Rick Nash and Nick Folingo. Have no idea who the last one is.

2. Ray Whitney?

3. Odelein and Whitney?

4. In order, Odelein, Foote, Whitney?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Zodijackylite posted:

Ray Whitney is an answer for both of these. I remember being excited when Whitney signed with Detroit in '03 before he went on to have the worst season of his career. When the lockout hit, he left for Carolina and won the Cup immediately.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

2. What major corporation purchased the Blues in the late '70s strictly because they wanted to keep all four major sports (this was when the Spirits were still in the ABA, and about a decade before Big Red upped sticks for Phoenix) in the STL metro area?
3. Said major corporation underwent a leadership change in the '80s, and the new chairman liked sports...but not hockey, rather horse racing. During this time they gutted the team staff and decided to just not attend the 1983 NHL Draft. If the Blues had gone to that draft, what place would they have picked in the 1st round, and indeed who went in that place?
4. The lure of nightlife on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River, where bars can stay open to 4 am and strip clubs are unrestricted, was notorious amongst NHL players in the '90s. And you've likely heard the story of Brett Hull borrowing Blues head coach Bob Berry's Jaguar XJ, going over to the East Side, and partying it up. But what visiting NHL player was arrested in a Sauget motel room with a sex worker and several grams of crack?
5. When Harry Ornest purchased the Blues in the mid-80s thus avoided the team moving to Saskatchewan, what was the first thing he did with the team, on advice of his wife?
6. What was the compensation the club originally offered the New Jersey Devils following the signing of Brendan Shanahan in 1991? (Bonus points: with whose wife did Brendan Shanahan sleep with, which led to him being sent to Hartford in exchange for Chris Pronger?)

1. noted announcer Joseph "Joe" Buck's dad
2. Ralston-Purina, hence the Checkerdome
3. I've actually never heard about this, but that was a hell of a draft. Lafontaine?
4. Kevin "Mario Lemieux's Winger" Stevens
5. I have no idea, but I do know he was a pro baseball player in his youth.
6. I think this was Curtis Joseph+, which, if they'd taken it, would have changed the trajectory of the Devils quite a bit in the 90s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think he was. He was added late in 05-06 season and was gone pretty soon after. Adam Foote was their captain iirc

Fedorov was acquired just after the start of the 2005 season and was traded at the 2008 Deadline to Washington. Adam Foote was Captain, while Fedorov, Nash, and David Vyborny rotated as alternates.

The 08 Deadline saw half the leadership go; after Foote's tantrum and Fedorov was moved, Nash got the C, with Freddy Modin and Mike Peca getting A's.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

The answers are:
1. You all are correct, it was Jack Buck. At the time he was second mic for the Cardinals and better known for doing Mizzou and Big Red football. In the spring of '68, a dispute between Anheuser-Busch and then-Cards announcer Harry Caray meant that Jack took over for the Cards full time.
2. Yes, it was Ralston Purina. (The Checkerdome was a tell.)
3. The Blues would have picked fifth in the '83 Draft. Their absence meant the Buffalo Sabres took the pick, selecting future Stanley Cup-champion goalie Tom Barrasso. (One pick earlier went to Detroit, who selected some guy from Cranbrook, BC and the Peterborough Petes. He's not done much since.)
4. Yep, Kevin Stevens. Many things have happened at the Sauget Ballet. Not many of them are positive, though there is an amazing BBQ and hot dog stand that rotates its way around some of the clubs.
5. Harry Ornest, in addition to being a massive penny-pincher, had a wife that didn't like the Blues uniforms. Her design added red as an accent color, shrank the blue-note, added ST. LOUIS to it, but also put the word "BLUES" arched above that blue-note. There's a bit of nostalgia towards it because it was the Monday Night Miracle uniform (I've seen a few shirts from local companies with "STL" in the font style/arching of "BLUES") but it's widely looked back on as too much.
6. Before arbitrator Edward Houston made his call and sent Scott Stevens to the Devs, the Blues offered them...Curtis Joseph, Rod Brind'Amour, and two draft picks. The RFA compensation system sucked. (And yes, Shanahan broke up Janney's marriage. When Shanny was head of DOPS, there was a theory amongst certain STL fans that he went out of his way to give Blues players suspensions for doing things other teams' players got merely fined for, all because he never wanted to be traded from the Blues.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

"Chill Factor" is a great book and you can knock it out in a weekend.

Dear God, this. If you have any interest in behind the scenes life at a hockey team, especially in the minors, do yourself a favor: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/chill-factor-david-paitson/1120009781. The book hits how the team came to be, how they were a surprising hit yet had to deal with a bunch of adversity to survive, and how they contributed to the CBJ coming to town, all in spite of OSU. It also takes a dive into the mess between Ohio State, the NHL, and the then-potential arena/sports complex which was kneecapped.

Since we're on the topic, Due to the combination of the Coliseum occasionally being booked for other events, a lack of suitable ice rinks in the city, and :lol: if OSU was going to let them use theirs, the Chill would occasionally be displaced to play home games in two different barns in which Ohio metro area which also had an ECHL team?

AsInHowe posted:

Everything about the Columbus Chill is rad and good. The Blue Jackets need a Chill-themed Stadium Series game.

How many ECHL teams get a spot on a national newscast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9HrtIfgdos

If time travel is ever a thing, the first thing my rear end is doing is going to a Chill game.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 15, 2020

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I am bizarrely aware that Luke Richardson played exactly 1417 games, and given that he played with like 20 teams I think there's a good chance he captained the Jackets at some point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Since we're on the topic, Due to the combination of the Coliseum occasionally being booked for other events, a lack of suitable ice rinks in the city, and :lol: if OSU was going to let them use theirs, the Chill would occasionally be displaced to play home games in two different barns in which Ohio metro area which also had an ECHL team?

I'm pretty positive they didn't come to Toledo, so it must have been Cincy.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Cleveland

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

I am bizarrely aware that Luke Richardson played exactly 1417 games, and given that he played with like 20 teams I think there's a good chance he captained the Jackets at some point.

Luke Richardson played 27 games for Tampa Bay in 06-07 and managed to average 7:07 of ice time.

I had also forgot he came back to the Leafs in 05-06. It just makes that team even weirder in retrospect.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

So this is the end? :smith:

(Joe has a Swiss passport?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His wife is Swiss.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I think he played there during the 2005 lockout too. Shame he won’t get a Cup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

I think he played there during the 2005 lockout too. Shame he won’t get a Cup.

That's how he met her, yeah.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea this is the captain I couldn’t remember

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

3) Which ESPN personality auditioned to be the CBJ's first TV PBP voice?
(Hint: He lost out to Dan Kelly, who now calls Cawlidge Hawkey for BTN.)

5) Three players who were on the CBJ team which was swept by the Wings in 2009 would play another playoff game with the team in 2014. Name them.
RJ Umberger was answered correctly, Jared Boll took the Game Misconduct for lighting up Kent Huskins(?) in his first game, the former Ranger who was surprisingly good at shootouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ePHoh1Xik

DJExile posted:

I'm pretty positive they didn't come to Toledo, so it must have been Cincy.

No.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 15, 2020

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Must be Dayton, then? Can we even count that as a metro area...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

3) Which ESPN personality auditioned to be the CBJ's first TV PBP voice?
(Hint: He lost out to Dan Kelly, who now calls Cawlidge Hawkey for BTN.)

5) Three players who were on the CBJ team which was swept by the Wings in 2009 would play another playoff game with the team in 2014. Name them.
RJ Umberger was answered correctly, Jared Boll took the Game Misconduct for lighting up Kent Huskins(?) in his first game, the former Ranger who was surprisingly good at shootouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ePHoh1Xik

No.

oh poo poo it was dayton wasn't it

I knew i was forgetting someone

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/status/1316702870608240640

Switzerland seems like a lovely place to play in the twilight of your career. :unsmith:

And also remain neutral in the impending World War.

They have an awesome arena as well. Happy for Joe, Switzerland is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'd wager Jumbo will play there for now, see how the NHL season shakes out and sign with a contender around the deadline.