Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh and just hit around the half way mark of my rewatch of DS9 and goddamn, is this show well written and acted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

At a glance I thought those robot things were the automated repair drones the Discovery and Enterprise had

They're similar? They might be descendants.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

fat space cat

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

pretty ok. shoulda given us 2 or 3 episodes like the boys did tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ramadu posted:

pretty ok. shoulda given us 2 or 3 episodes like the boys did tho

Yeah, it’s tough to judge so far since it’s only half the premiere. I don’t see it swaying anyone who wrote the show off after the last two seasons, but I liked it enough and the last scene with Burnham commissioning the Comms guy was sweet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Burn is straight up an Omega particle plot device.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Was that the first Lurian we’ve seen other than Morn?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

mr. unhsib posted:

I think so.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That felt about 90% like a pilot for a good Star Wars show, and the last 10% like Star Trek. Not bad, really. I appreciate that the show isn’t afraid to get weird.

Burnham cry count: 1 full, 2 very close
“That’s impossible!” or variants: 2

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

pyrotek posted:

That felt about 90% like a pilot for a good Star Wars show, and the last 10% like Star Trek.

The curse of modern Trek.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, Disco doesn’t hit Netflix until Friday. Booooo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

mr. unhsib posted:

We don't know how long Morn lives, it might be him.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

pyrotek posted:

That felt about 90% like a pilot for a good Star Wars show, and the last 10% like Star Trek. Not bad, really. I appreciate that the show isn’t afraid to get weird.

A lesson that (hopefully) Kurtzman et. al. has learned\is learning from things like the Witcher and Mandalorian (and not poo poo like Westworld) is to just be fun, don't try to be something you're not.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
My hope is that the Pike Show ends up being Trek’s Mandalorian, but hope is oft misplaced when it comes to Trek.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If nothing else that looked expensive as all heck.

I do like that they're establishing this time period isn't all poo poo. The Federation is mostly gone due to the loss of so much ability to travel, but there are still good people around.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
I don't get why one guy has just been waiting in a trash heap doing his little scans on his own just because his dad was in Starfleet.

His non-job is boring, his office/house is boring, the view is poo poo. Now finally thanks to Michael Burnham he can put a decoration on the wall.

It's like Desmond in the hatch but with fewer buttons to press. The music swells but speaking slowly and solemnly isn’t a valid replacement for plot and story.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i'm only halfway through the episode but this "burnham is high as poo poo" scene has been fun

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MichaelFlatley posted:

I don't get why one guy has just been waiting in a trash heap doing his little scans on his own just because his dad was in Starfleet.

He was a true believer. Nothing and no one was going to bend or break him. You might say he had faith...of the heart.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

MikeJF posted:

I remember I always thought Jupiter worked well with Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3YDm6fV-c

If we're doing this, let's just get the best one out of the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Parrot alarm clock owns. Space cat also owns.

I hope Micheal spends the rest of the season high on that truth dust. She's fun.

https://i.imgur.com/nAVdcjs.mp4

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Sending thoughts and prayers to those guys who always complain about how much screentime Burnham has

I really liked the opener and the premise/mystery they've set up. I was worried it might be bit of a Part 1 of 2 situation since they apparently showed the first two episodes in previews, but I thought it ended on a fine spot, not an abrupt cutoff half way through a story

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, Crave isn't streaming Disco until Fridays now? I guess I'm going to be behind the ball on spoilers.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Burnham murders a bunch of mall cops just doing their jobs and shows zero remorse.

This show is hot garbage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G-III posted:

Burnham murders a bunch of mall cops just doing their jobs and shows zero remorse.

Mall cops are still cops. Burnham is a hero.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoyed it and think the season will be fun enough to uncover. I'm guessing the Federation is just Earth and Vulcan and maybe some others now.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

G-III posted:

"The Federation gave me a mission and a purpose" *immediately guns down two people*

Not that I mind seeing bloody body parts fly apart on screen as blood flecks against the camera itself like a video game, but...all I could think during the mall scene was please don't become a superhero fight, please dont become a superhero fight...then the wink and the fight happened, and everything else. I couldn't help but laugh and think about this. Book seems cool, I like the thing he can do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My review of Discovery S03E01: Star Trek is Doctor Who now.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
This was the first episode of Discovery I have watched.

Eh, not Star Trek, but strong Andromeda vibes. I was meh about Andromeda and so far this was meh. I'll see if part 2 grabs me.

I miss lower decks.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
To be fair, they were trying to kill her first. Plus, no Federation so no one to enforce the anti-merking laws. Timeline is safe too as the timelines we care about (previous shows) are untouched.

Besides, we don't even know the tech they're using. Could be just sending them to a plush time-out planet full of procedural clouds, bouncy grass and no-drowning rivers.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I just realized that Burnham doesn't know that Romulans are a Vulcan off-shoot. Hope that gets addressed in-episode.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah most of the ep felt way more 'star wars' than star trek but i guess that's what happens when you decide to make the michael burnham show.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This was the first episode of Discovery I have watched.

Eh, not Star Trek, but strong Andromeda vibes. I was meh about Andromeda and so far this was meh. I'll see if part 2 grabs me.

I miss lower decks.

Worth noting that Andromeda was originally conceived as a Star Trek series.

Andromeda loving sucked though. Captain Hercules flying around on one ship going "Hey, want to re-start the Commonwealth? Great, you're in!" to everyone he meets, and that's all it takes to rebuild it!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mr. unhsib posted:

I just realized that Burnham doesn't know that Romulans are a Vulcan off-shoot. Hope that gets addressed in-episode.
"So the Vromulans have been out of contact since Starda..."
"What's a "Vromulan"? Where are they from?"
"So you're gonna want to sit down for this." *slides tissues across table*

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DrNutt posted:

That sounds kinda weak because they are clearly different from tng uniforms. Like, goddamn Starfleet, how often do you really need to change uniform styles?

This is one of the most realistic parts of all of Star Trek. Congress actually had to pass a law forbidding the adoption of any more uniform camo patterns because the American services were changing their uniforms constantly after 9/11 (and tactical clothing makers were making multiple mints).

And now you know why SPACE FORCE doesn't get its own camo pattern!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mr. unhsib posted:

Worth noting that Andromeda was originally conceived as a Star Trek series.

Andromeda loving sucked though. Captain Hercules flying around on one ship going "Hey, want to re-start the Commonwealth? Great, you're in!" to everyone he meets, and that's all it takes to rebuild it!

Andromeda had such potential, and squandered it so horribly. The supporting cast was mostly okay when they were actually used, but goddamn casting Kevin Sorbo and giving him control over the direction of the show was such a mistake.

Even for all its flaws, iirc there were still some great episodes. Mostly in the first season, dealing with the shattered remains of commonwealth planets, but I remember being impressed with a later season episode that dealt with time travel and Sorbo's seemingly treacherous first officer who died in the pilot. It only stuck in my memory because it had nothing at all to do with Sorbo's character, and it was not coincidentally way better than any Sorbo episode.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When every station has a replicator, changing uniforms is as easy as receiving STFLT_CMD_058.rep & waiting in line, and you have a post-scarcity society where anyone can suddenly decide they want to be a tailor, it makes total sense that the federation would be regularly changing the uniforms.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I liked that episode. So far I have nothing to complain about.

Kesper North posted:

And now you know why SPACE FORCE doesn't get its own camo pattern!

The hell would space camo even look like?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hoping like hell that Discovery finally starts feeling like it’s written by people who don’t hate Star Trek. Lower Decks was a good start.

Biggest highlight the premiere was the mention of the time travel tech being outlawed after the Temporal War. We’re basically at the point that a Star Trek show throwing some meat to an important plot element in a previous series makes it worthwhile. Beyond bringing back something old to simply poo poo on it, which has often been happening.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The premise of Disco S3 irks me because it's saying "everything your heroes worked to build and protect in the previous shows? All for nothing, suckers!" (I haven't seen Picard yet, but I gather it's definitely stepping along that path with the Federation being Trumpified.)

Still, at least by being set centuries past anything else it's not like the Star Wars sequels, where your heroes were actually still around to see the full extent of their failures before being killed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Teek posted:

Hoping like hell that Discovery finally starts feeling like it’s written by people who don’t hate Star Trek. Lower Decks was a good start.

Biggest highlight the premiere was the mention of the time travel tech being outlawed after the Temporal War. We’re basically at the point that a Star Trek show throwing some meat to an important plot element in a previous series makes it worthwhile. Beyond bringing back something old to simply poo poo on it, which has often been happening.

I’ll get a serious kick out of things if TCW shenanigans and maybe even someone like Daniels plays a role in all of this.