Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
One thing to note is that Yumigahama was still in the spotlight while he was laying on the ground nursing his nonlethal facial cave in wounds. The art specifically showed the spotlight and the rules clearly state that the only way to win is for your opponent to be outside of the spotlight.

I'm not saying it will happen, but there's a lot of potential for the kengan side to get hosed out of the win here.

That being said I liked this fight a lot more than most people. Yumigahama was never the best of the best despite coming off that way in his intro. Even in Metsudo's organization there were stronger fighters, they just weren't his Kengan match fighters. I have to imagine that Omori and Takayama were both probably stronger fighters in a real deal fight, Kanoh was definitely stronger, and Misasa proved himself to be stronger. This whole match kinda tore down the facade that he had up.

He was never the big bad that got one over on Metsudo and rose to the top of purgatory, Metsudo was always just toying with him and he's very clearly not the top dog of purgatory.

The tournament is definitely dragging a bit and I'll be excited when a bomb or something finally goes off, but I feel like the fights are starting to get a lot better. Those final few pages on this fight were absolutely brutal and some of my favorite in the series just from an art/choreography perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Monke's fighting style being attacks with a weapon but without a weapon did look cool as hell tho

Also im betting Koga learns a ton of poo poo from Miasa

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The referee announced that Yumi was incapacitated and that Misasa won, theres no way to get hosed here

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
no fight that makes me mark out like Jerry Tyson at the finish is bad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The referee announced that Yumi was incapacitated and that Misasa won, theres no way to get hosed here

they could always say "nuh uh, doesn't count". rules only matter as far as people are willing to follow them. that's not terribly likely in this case, though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wanna see Not Meguro fight! gently caress!

i cant remember if we got to see Meguro's... Sambo? was it Sambo he fought with well before he went FULLY insane in the tournament

Dude slammed TO DEATH several people i wanna see that!

MORE BLOOD MORE VIOLENCE MORE KOGA AND RYUKI SHOPPING

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I re-read it and it doesn't look like the kengan side will get the win here. The rules do state that the winner is chosen by who is still in the spotlight and there also isn't a 10 count rule so I don't think KOs apply either. The only way this works out is if the "if there is no clear winner after 5 minutes" line can be applied to a guy having his face caved in.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Brought To You By posted:

I re-read it and it doesn't look like the kengan side will get the win here. The rules do state that the winner is chosen by who is still in the spotlight and there also isn't a 10 count rule so I don't think KOs apply either. The only way this works out is if the "if there is no clear winner after 5 minutes" line can be applied to a guy having his face caved in.

Ref stopped the match when both Miasa and Monke were still in the spotlight under incapacition ruling. The little spotlight thing was a metaphor for dudes time in limelight is done.

imo there has never been a reversal on a fight outcome in Ashura and not yet here either so yeah Miasa wins and keeps this win

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

verbal enema posted:

I wanna see Not Meguro fight! gently caress!

i cant remember if we got to see Meguro's... Sambo? was it Sambo he fought with well before he went FULLY insane in the tournament

Dude slammed TO DEATH several people i wanna see that!

MORE BLOOD MORE VIOLENCE MORE KOGA AND RYUKI SHOPPING

Meguro's thing was being a ridiculous savant at judo. Who knows if that also applies to Not Meguro.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Ref stopped the match when both Miasa and Monke were still in the spotlight under incapacition ruling. The little spotlight thing was a metaphor for dudes time in limelight is done.

imo there has never been a reversal on a fight outcome in Ashura and not yet here either so yeah Miasa wins and keeps this win

Again, the KO doesn't matter because the rules of the fight stipulate how the winner is chosen and gives only one possible option. And the rules eliminate winning by incapacitation since the 10 count doesn't apply for this match only. In fact, it's weird the color commentary even question if the referee will perform a count or not in the last couple pages. So I can absolutely see Purgatory contesting the outcome because everything about the rules of the match say Yumigawa won even if he's not conscious. And it's not like Purgatory rules haven't caused an upset already, it's not like someone who got completely dominated by his opponent still won in the end.

I'm hoping I'm just thinking too hard about this but there isn't much wiggle room here. Misasa might actually lose the match.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
if Misasa gets screwed out of the win somehow this just strengthens my prediction that this arc will end with the Kengan team losing but with the Purgatory guys all completely beat to poo poo and unable to fight

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The precision with Misasa pulverized Yumigahama (along with how durable fighters in the comic have been up to this point) leaves me pretty confident he's not dead

Probably out of commission until after the tournament is over though

Then again all of this is moot if someone unscrupulous behind the scenes kills him and makes it seem like he died from his injuries to tilt the results in Purgatory's favor

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Again, the KO doesn't matter because the rules of the fight stipulate how the winner is chosen and gives only one possible option. And the rules eliminate winning by incapacitation since the 10 count doesn't apply for this match only. In fact, it's weird the color commentary even question if the referee will perform a count or not in the last couple pages. So I can absolutely see Purgatory contesting the outcome because everything about the rules of the match say Yumigawa won even if he's not conscious. And it's not like Purgatory rules haven't caused an upset already, it's not like someone who got completely dominated by his opponent still won in the end.

I'm hoping I'm just thinking too hard about this but there isn't much wiggle room here. Misasa might actually lose the match.

I think the idea is that since Yumigawa is incapacitated Misasa can just wait for a part of his body to be out of the light, or even push him out himself. No one wants to see that so the ref just ended the match.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Misasa asked if the ref was going to 10 count and the ref just ended it. Kengan won.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Going to make the incredibly mild guess that Alisa is good at her job and understands the rules.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alisa's already half-Xehanort

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Alisa's already half-Xehanort

who isn't?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Muteba and Karla, surprisingly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
purgatory finally recognise the genius of kazzy

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1067258/1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Took me a second to realize that was a towel over Yumi's face and not his face melting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What even is the point of Yumigahara? 9 wins and 5 losses for someone who is supposed to be on Agito's level? I don't care that they try and smooth things over by saying "purgatory rules" that's still a disgraceful track record for a joke of a heel. And this is after gettting utterly destroyed in a fight and throwing a tantrum afterwards.

On top of that, it's actually odd that we aren't bringing up win/loss ratios before the fight to help hype up the purtagory fighters. I just checked and we just don't know how many matches Carlos, Toa, Hayabusa have actually fought. I think we only really know that Le Banner lost a match to Jose but that's it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mongolian Death Worm

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kazzy, an Asian: That guy looks Asian!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I like that Agito was super pumped and happy over Misasa's win, instead of being pissed that it wasn't him who fought the Monkey Man, or something lame like that. Anyways, I like the design of this new Purgatory guy, Mongolian wrestling is pretty cool and he is (or pretends to be? That was a pretty obvious lure, similar to what Misasa did just a match earlier) Worm, so this should be good. Hope Gaoh loses tbh, both Purgatory and Worm really need to introduce some impressive fighters at this point.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh yeah, plot time.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Im cheering for the guy in the Gogeta vest

So theres this instagram account of this american guy who moved to the Inner Mongolian steppes to become a full time wrestler. Its a really cool glimpse into what it takes to succeed in a sport where every competitor grew up wrestling horses since they were 5 https://www.instagram.com/p/CBvZoHDpcrb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Artelier posted:

Kazzy, an Asian: That guy looks Asian!

So this is a thing, actually. When a Chinese/Japanese/Korean person says "Asian" in that sort of context they mean central Asian, in the same way that when an American says "Asian" they usually mean East Asian.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What even is the point of Yumigahara? 9 wins and 5 losses for someone who is supposed to be on Agito's level? I don't care that they try and smooth things over by saying "purgatory rules" that's still a disgraceful track record for a joke of a heel. And this is after gettting utterly destroyed in a fight and throwing a tantrum afterwards.

On top of that, it's actually odd that we aren't bringing up win/loss ratios before the fight to help hype up the purtagory fighters. I just checked and we just don't know how many matches Carlos, Toa, Hayabusa have actually fought. I think we only really know that Le Banner lost a match to Jose but that's it.

I mean...at this point Kengan Omega is what it is.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Oh no! It's the centipe... er, the worm!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
At this point, I feel like I'm not even sure why Yumi was even selected for the ultra high stakes tournament since he's barely warm poo poo by purgatory standards.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well we generally don't know the win/loss ratio of most kengan fighters just how much they earned. It could be yumigahama fought king 5 times and lost all 5 times

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I think theyre also trying to show that the title of Fang isnt what it used to be. Metsudo is retired, he doesnt need the biggest baddest guy to be his fighter anymore

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eustace posted:

I think theyre also trying to show that the title of Fang isnt what it used to be. Metsudo is retired, he doesnt need the biggest baddest guy to be his fighter anymore

Nah, Yumi was just a joke and didn't have the good looks to truly represent Metsudo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Monke face is tough if nothing else. Face punched in, according to doctors "verge of death" Throwing people off him like ragdolls and pitching a bitch fit.

Also we don't know what a 9-5 record is in terms of purgatories A League. That could be fairly good as far as we know.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yumigahama was never meant to be some badass on the level of Agito. He became fang after Metsudo retired and competition wasn't as fierce. He wasn't as strong as Agito and he wasn't even the strongest fighter in Metsudo's forces at that time, Metsudo just wanted to gently caress with him.

He gets the better of Koga, and who hasn't at this point. He beats Jose, who is just a high tier fighter rather than a top tier fighter and he still loses his arm in the process. He's openly disrespected by the top fighters of Purgatory. It's revealed that he never actually got one over on Metsudo and that Metsudo knew about the betrayal from the moment he made contact with purgatory, but let him do it anyway because he's Metsudo. All of this culminated with his total defeat at the hands of someone who was actually fit to be the fang of Metsudo. He's still super loving strong, he's just not at the pinnacle like some of the other fighters.

His whole arc was being built up as being this super strong rear end in a top hat and then having most of that facade stripped away when the real badasses show up. I liked the way it was done and saying he was supposed to be on the level of Agito is just missing the point.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also I really like them hyping up Kazzy as an ultra savant fighting coach and his first piece of insight offered immediately after is "Looks like our next opponent is Asian or something"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My only complaint about Yumigahma is that his fight was too soon IMHO. He was the perfect heel and employing an Ex-Fang who betrayed Metsudo and was a total rear end in a top hat is one of the main reasons we were supposed to care about defeating Purgatory in the first place. Heck it's like the only reason Agito showed up in the tournament. With him gone, all that is left is the fact that they would be replacing Kengan matches (which seems to be less and less of a bad deal the more we learn about Purgatory, heck it looks like even Kazzy would keep a cushy job, with how he was impressing the Purgatory head honcho) and the fact that they are infiltrated/cooperating with Worm, which is still valid, but barely enough at this point in the story.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I can definitely agree on them pulling the trigger too early on him. He was such a delight when he was poo poo talking everyone. We are getting back to the main Worm storyline though so at least we're making some progress again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Monke face is tough if nothing else. Face punched in, according to doctors "verge of death" Throwing people off him like ragdolls and pitching a bitch fit.

Also we don't know what a 9-5 record is in terms of purgatories A League. That could be fairly good as far as we know.

Of that 9-5, at least 2 are from beating Jose, I think.

We know 1 is definitely Jose, and the conversation between them implies that they've fought before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Monke existing was only reason to get Agito to come along. Once there his natural urge to RIP AND TEAR took over, as seen with him wanting to be first out the gate to take on whoever.