Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1316710649527967744

News coming shortly, probably a look at Gears 5 optimised, plus other NDA'd things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, its time for deep previews of the plastic twist tie used to hold each systems power cord in the box

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Finally, its time for deep previews of the plastic twist tie used to hold each systems power cord in the box

Looking forward to the teardown (untwist?) video by a highly-paid Japanese engineer discussing how it took his team two years to design the perfect twist tie.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
People with Series Xs now seem free to talk about anything they want to about it
https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1316725518092435457

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There's also the 30-game launch list for November 10.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1316728364309401600

There are some games that aren't on the list that should be (Destiny 2 is the one that sticks out to me, but some people are saying that Sea of Thieves was supposed to be at launch too), so this list may be incomplete or delays have happened.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1316729757027844096

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The innovation of xbox this gen is calling gears 5 a new game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Snap is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBPrYJDoDE&t=241s

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Destiny 2's next-gen upgrades are coming in December.

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/1316726072524775426

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bright Memory 1.0 is currently Windows/Series exclusive but will be releasing on PS4 and XB1 later.

This appears to be the only game in the 30-title launch lineup that won't be playable on XB1 in some capacity.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Many, many "final previews" are going up at various sites, and it's not worth going too deep into them as they mostly contain stuff that we already know or have been shared over the past hour here. I'll share a few interesting bits as I find them, though.

The Ars Technica article features a comparison between the PC and Xbox Series X version of Gears 5:

quote:

Microsoft's dev team at the Coalition already showed off a Gears 5 Series X build in March of this year, though this revolved around content capped at 60fps. This showed the game's campaign mode nearly reaching parity with the PC version while offering updates to its global illumination model. In the months since, the PC version has apparently adopted some of those illumination tweaks, so like-for-like comparisons show the PC version narrowly beating that of Xbox Series X on a visual basis, primarily due to superior ambient occlusion on the PC version... but, again, that's a PC version jacked up to "ultra" and "maximum" settings while running on an i7-8700K and RTX 3080. For pretty much every other graphical element you can think of (draw distance, shadow resolution, geometric detail), Series X is neck-and-neck.

When it comes to load times, the Series X version of Gears 5 handily beat out even a high-end PC equipped with an NVMe 3.0 drive (which stored both the Windows OS and the game). After testing a variety of Gears 5 campaign save files, I found a 75 percent improvement for the console version; 53-second loads on my PC were as short as 12 seconds on my Xbox Series X for identical content.

Here's a little bit about now loud the disc drive is:

quote:

For all the work put into making XSX run quietly, that same care didn't go into the disc drive. Without any other system noise to obscure it, the XSX's Blu-ray drive makes all manner of laser-seeking noise while loading movies. This calms down once you're well into a feature-length film, but the opening moments, where the drive is bzzt-bzzt-bzzting between copyright notices and studio logos, can be quite loud. It's a bit louder than a similar 4K UHD drive inside Xbox One X.

Disc-based games, meanwhile, don't run off of the Blu-ray drive directly. They are instead installed to system memory and then only used as a lighting-quick license check. So if you're only using this for games, you'll likely never notice.

Media apps run well but don't support Quick Resume:

quote:

In better system-level news, Series X hasn't been advertised as a media-app hub the way Xbox One was... but, gosh, it's so much better at the task. Xbox One, and its faster XB1X sibling, are notoriously slow with media apps and menus (and don't even get us started on how slow its Snap feature was, RIP). On Series X, media apps launch almost instantly, as do system option menus, storefronts, and your own installed games-and-apps library (even when you have content installed on older, USB-connected drives). Various media apps on Xbox One X take 20-28 seconds to launch, and those get down to 2-6 seconds on Series X.

Sadly, Xbox's media apps didn't get the Quick Resume memo, so any time you swap from Disney+ to Peacock to Netflix to Hulu, you'll have to start from scratch, instead of having an instant, alt-tabbing media experience—unless you only switch between two apps. Should you swap between three or more apps, Xbox Quick Resume chokes up. In one particular annoyance, each Series X media app with an account selector will bring this choice up every time, instead of remembering which person is stealing Aunt June's HBO Max credentials.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was very excited and then saw it was a weird PS+ required integration to play a video in the game.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
You can pick up Trine 4 as a part of Games with Gold by visiting the Korean Xbox Store.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1316604303218417664?s=20

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Really not sure what to think of them 'revealing' the time to complete on levels and such in the form of progress bars. That feels pretty weird to me.

And yes, I know Steam has already been doing this predictive thing for ages with the "So close..." indicator and Microsoft has had progress bars on achievements for a while now. This still feels different from that.

Why would I want to know that this level "has about 10 minutes left"? Am I playing this game for fun or as a chore?

I guess snapping screen elements is kinda nice.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ErrEff posted:

Really not sure what to think of them 'revealing' the time to complete on levels and such in the form of progress bars. That feels pretty weird to me.

And yes, I know Steam has already been doing this predictive thing for ages with the "So close..." indicator and Microsoft has had progress bars on achievements for a while now. This still feels different from that.

Why would I want to know that this level "has about 10 minutes left"? Am I playing this game for fun or as a chore?

From looking at the Xbox subreddit for the past few weeks, it's clear that some people are obsessed with maxing out their gamerscore so they probably appreciate this feature to see the quickest way to increase the score some more on something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

I was very excited and then saw it was a weird PS+ required integration to play a video in the game.
Sony channeling those old 1-900 video game tip lines in the age of the internet is a bold strategy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ErrEff posted:

Its probably a big focus group winner to be better to know you have time for something before getting into it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its "How Long to Beat" but with split times

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hey remember a few weeks ago when I said one of the platforms was implementing something that the other one basically added last gen but eventually phased out from mandatory use because developers hated that it took so much more time to implement for very little engagement? Hooray.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

Hey remember a few weeks ago when I said one of the platforms was implementing something that the other one basically added last gen but eventually phased out from mandatory use because developers hated that it took so much more time to implement for very little engagement? Hooray.

I'm really surprised my joke post about Snap making a return was correct.

poo poo, what else have I been right about? :ohdear:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'd probably use it for looking up how to beat a souls boss after getting owned by it for the 20th time, better than having to sift through youtube vids and ads

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I forgot to post this earlier: a teardown of the Seagate Expansion Card.

https://twitter.com/GamesBeat/status/1316725780668395520

It does indeed seem to be a custom PCIe 4.0 CFexpress card, and also as expected the metal casing doubles as the heatsink for the storage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

I'd probably use it for looking up how to beat a souls boss after getting owned by it for the 20th time, better than having to sift through youtube vids and ads

You and I both know from will put a clip of a character doing the shrug animation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it would be cool if the games shipped without the clips and users could submit them to fill in all the flagged things with tutorial videos that did it as fast as possible like a leaderboard you could compete at

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zerot posted:

I forgot to post this earlier: a teardown of the Seagate Expansion Card.

https://twitter.com/GamesBeat/status/1316725780668395520

It does indeed seem to be a custom PCIe 4.0 CFexpress card, and also as expected the metal casing doubles as the heatsink for the storage.

DF brought up that it wasn't clear how the PS5's external SSD slot would work as a heat sink, has anyone come across any talk on that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

DF brought up that it wasn't clear how the PS5's external SSD slot would work as a heat sink, has anyone come across any talk on that?

they'll probably just whitelist ones that they test and don't melt.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Akuma posted:

the impression i got from your posts sounded more like sdk teething problems than certification, thus why i was so confused. they are asking a lot more from devs, but that's also the trend of all the markets currently with the minimum featureset slowly being ramped up

i do expect most of the new features to be side-lined a year on because of the overhead and how it impacts post-launch content, but it's also bizarre how little microsoft are adding to their new console

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Sony made a weaker console and went with snap this time. Interesting play :vince:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh we do have xbox series x ui info today
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1316742116530421760

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1316805527414935554

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've got the nicest 4K OLED money can buy and I sit 3 feet in front of my TV and I've never noticed or lamented the Xbox UI being low resolution. These people are diseased.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

I've got the nicest 4K OLED money can buy and I sit 3 feet in front of my TV and I've never noticed or lamented the Xbox UI being low resolution. These people are diseased.

Get your eyes checked, it looks like poo poo compared to the PS4 Pro UI.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get your eyes checked, it looks like poo poo compared to the PS4 Pro UI.

Resolution aside, the PS4 UI is just utterly terribly designed. They basically took the "hey you know the ugly rear end blue Final Fantasy UI that still hasnt' been updated since the 90s? What if we just make that our whole UI?"

It's just so ugly and cheap looking and not very well compartmentalized visually.

I also think the Xbox UI is bad too. But the PS4 is just so. loving. ugly. I don't understand how they haven't even hired a junior graphic designer fresh out of any school USA to redesign that poo poo. Goddamn.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mhm

I can't really care about the ui being 1080 i am not super invested in a 4k menu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is only so much you can do when your UI has to be used with a controller exclusively. Microsoft tried to offset this somewhat with voice controls on Xbox One, but it was a huge mess that never worked right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Resolution aside, the PS4 UI is just utterly terribly designed. They basically took the "hey you know the ugly rear end blue Final Fantasy UI that still hasnt' been updated since the 90s? What if we just make that our whole UI?"

It's just so ugly and cheap looking and not very well compartmentalized visually.

I also think the Xbox UI is bad too. But the PS4 is just so. loving. ugly. I don't understand how they haven't even hired a junior graphic designer fresh out of any school USA to redesign that poo poo. Goddamn.

I 100% agree but at least it's sharp

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Super No Vacancy posted:

mhm

I can't really care about the ui being 1080 i am not super invested in a 4k menu

Same

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure that the UI will be in 4K at launch. I'd really prefer it to be HDR like the PlayStation 5 so my TV didn't have to switch whenever going from a game to the dash, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What do people think a 4K menu gets them? Like... your options are fairly slim in what you can even do. Menu time should be minimal. What people SHOULD be complaining about is that console OS' have too much lovely fluff that makes people care about how much you can fit on one screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First things first, anything with advertising on it automatically gets a 1/10 and can't be improved from there until its removed. The Xbox One UI is a 1/10 on just this alone, but it just happens to have other reasons for why it is pure trash.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

BonoMan posted:

What do people think a 4K menu gets them? Like... your options are fairly slim in what you can even do. Menu time should be minimal. What people SHOULD be complaining about is that console OS' have too much lovely fluff that makes people care about how much you can fit on one screen.

I get that people want things to be sharp. The Xbox One X dashboard being 1080p isn't something I ever notice. I also didn't know until today that the Switch's menu is 720p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I said come in! posted:

First things first, anything with advertising on it automatically gets a 1/10 and can't be improved from there until its removed. The Xbox One UI is a 1/10 on just this alone, but it just happens to have other reasons for why it is pure trash.

Bingo, gently caress all ads.