Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Malcolm Excellent posted:

You seem really mad.

How tall are you?

glad to know it's still ok to make fun of short people in the super woke wrestling forum for sophisticated adults with good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Adam Cole isn't Mr America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

NienNunb posted:

Adam Cole isn't Mr America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Mr America was 6 foot tall and he said NienNunb is a son of a bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Low Effort post at your own risk. We like to encourage people to make some effort. Users regularly make incredibly clever, funny or well-thought out posts/edits/discussion points etc, and there's nothing quite as annoying as seeing somebody fart out a tired vinceflex.jpg or a single syllable misspelled non-capitalized reply in the middle of that like they're expecting a standing ovation.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i can't make fun of Big Swole for having to poop all the time, that's just something she was born with, how dare i make a joke about someone with the pooping disease. but Adam Cole? gently caress that dude in his 6 foot tall rear end, am i right

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big Bowel

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i would simply not be short but i guess im built different.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Just remembered Fat Shitrione. What a timeless joke

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Just remembered Fat Shitrione. What a timeless joke

and yet it doesn't hold a candle to an off-the-board nickname, like the Tiki Turd Golem

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't like how you warn & silence people for being funny because they are snarky or too curt and then do the shrug emote about Sensible jokes being copy/pasted. I don't care about the jokes being repeated actually, but the combo of the previous things coexisting feels stupid and bad for the forum to me. I understand this won't change and people say gently caress off about it. Thank you.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 15, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i don't like how you warn & silence people for being funny because they are snarky or too curt and then do the shrug emote about Sensible jokes being copy/pasted. I understand this won't change and people say gently caress off about it. Thank you

Yes

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Please change your quote to include my third edit. I decided to delete my post above for its irrelevance but it wouldn't do any good now. I wish you could delete quotes of yourself both on here and elsewhere so that I would never regret expressing myself.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 15, 2020

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The point of a 6er is that it is short. So short.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The point of a 6er is that it is short. So short.

It's actually 5 and a half hours, the site just says it's longer

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

yea ok posted:

I have no trust that any feedback will be taken seriously

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the only serious response to this particular feedback is, "no." Should any and all feedback no matter what it is be exempt from derision? Maybe.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Tweak posted:

I think the only serious response to this particular feedback is, "no." Should any and all feedback no matter what it is be exempt from derision? Maybe.

nah, there's definitely Bad Feedback that won't be useful at all, but "please stop posting the same worn out joke in every thread" is good feedback that would (imo) make the subforum better. i personally don't think there's a way to make that enforceable with probes/bans, but it's not too helpful to threadshit (e: not calling out anyone in particular) in response instead of actually addressing it, in the thread expressly for giving and addressing feedback :shrug:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last 10 or so posts preceeding this cavauro post below that I'm responding to are pretty weird and silly and seem to be straying wildly off topic for this thread.

Cavauro posted:

i don't like how you warn & silence people for being funny because they are snarky or too curt and then do the shrug emote about Sensible jokes being copy/pasted. I don't care about the jokes being repeated actually, but the combo of the previous things coexisting feels stupid and bad for the forum to me. I understand this won't change and people say gently caress off about it. Thank you.

You're conflating what Jerusalem wrote down as the rules, and my take on them as a non-moderator. I think if you're just gonna blindly post "haha adam cole short" ad nauseum then yeah it'll likely end with a 6er for shitposting. My "shrug" emote was aimed at how in the combat sports threads we don't seem to have nearly as many problems with people not only understanding and following the rules, but not getting all upset over them like the pro-wrestling folk seem to. I should have used the :iiam: emote I guess.

sk posted:

nah, there's definitely Bad Feedback that won't be useful at all, but "please stop posting the same worn out joke in every thread" is good feedback that would (imo) make the subforum better. i personally don't think there's a way to make that enforceable with probes/bans, but it's not too helpful to threadshit (e: not calling out anyone in particular) in response instead of actually addressing it, in the thread expressly for giving and addressing feedback :shrug:

There is certainly bad feedback. There is also a fair bit of white noise in the feedback thread which makes it a bit more annoying to find the good or at least useful feedback. You're not entirely wrong but also not exactly right either. We already have rules about what is or is not acceptable stuff to remark or joke about with the "dont be gross" stuff as well as "no racism/homophobia/etc." rules. However I'd argue that jokes like "Adam Cole is short" isn't really a thing to give a probation about. Just that those who dislike it can simply ignore it as its low effort. How people think its "too hard to be creative" in this subforum is beyond me, which I said before.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 16, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I didn't conflate anything that two different people said, and never would. I'm extremely intelligent and observant, with an insanely high level of education and discipline. I was talking about people getting probated for saying weird poo poo that makes them and maybe a few others laugh, harmlessly, then the person who does those probations telling other people this about what they don't like:

Jerusalem posted:

If you don't like seeing the same joke, make different jokes :shrug:

If everyone is sending PMs or 100 post reports for one thing and not the other then I guess I don't have that context available to me so I would ask to be excused.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 16, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think the Adam Cole height jokes are making some people insecure. As someone who isn’t very funny sometimes very common tropes here can allow the less comedically talented among us to participate in the humor. I agree though it gets over bearing often though, but also agree there isn’t a rule or edict that can fix this.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Congrats to karmicknight for becoming IK. I gotta start making some threads....

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Condolences to karmicknight for becoming IK.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Congrats Karmicknight and I hope it doesn't make you weird like it seems to most people

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
you're safe if you're already weird

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thank you karmicknight for agreeing to be an IK, I hope the experience is an enjoyable one.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Out of curiosity, what goes into the decision making behind selecting the IKs? I mean this for Brut, Mekchu and CJ2 as well. I promise this isn't an interrogation or a 'gotcha' question :razzy: just genuinely curious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Basically if there's somebody who looks like they're a pretty active member of the sub, have demonstrated an ability in helping keep discussion interesting/fun and don't have a notable history of being poo poo-stirrers, they just kind of naturally come to mind when it's time to find an IK. Junpei and I check with each other to make sure neither of us has any concerns about somebody the other might have suggested, then put the offer out to the person to see if they're interested. If they are, we ask the admins to IK them, at which point if there is any concerns on the admin side they'll let us know and might ask for clarification on something before flipping the switch.

Sometimes context might change exactly how or why an IK is chosen, but the above is basically in general how it is done, at least for F(R)IGHT ISLAND anyway.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Should use random.org really shake things up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I legitimately, and I have no idea how, missed an entire page of this thread. There were a bunch of completely off-topic/lovely posts that I'm gonna run through and give out probations for those now, and a reminder that this thread is meant for actual proper feedback and discussion and not cracking wise or white-noise posting.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

“Running jokes into the ground is a time honored tradition” is one of the worst arguments i’ve ever read for being an unoriginal hack.

I don’t think the overdone jokes should be actionable in a punishment sense, but jesus loving christ can we at least pretend to have standards?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As long as people are making these utterly harmless jokes and people are finding them funny, there really isn't a problem. The people who don't like them can just scroll past, and if they think a thread is bad because it has some people enjoying jokes they don't like, there is nothing stopping them from making different jokes or talking about something else on-topic for the thread, and if people are interested then the conversation shifts and everybody's a winner.

This isn't a moderation issue at all, I'm not gonna probate people for posting jokes that people enjoy even if some people are tired of seeing it. This is just a difference of opinion between posters about what posts they like or dislike, and if people stop finding these jokes funny they'll just stop posting them and the "problem" solves itself.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think part of the issue that is being presented here, though i cannot speak for the probated posters, is that they find what they can be probated for to be arbitrary. this causes a decline in the quality of posts, for fear of eating a probation they cannot see coming or understand, which leads to a broader watering down of forums culture and what people feel comfortable posting. as i alluded to before with mekchu, you dont read the mma threads so those posters have been saying the posts they like unfettered by this worry, and as a result their forums culture is very different than the wrestling side of fight island. now that they are moderated by someone that is part of the same posting culture they dont expect to see a shift in expectations or punishable posts, so nothing has changed for them. i hope you can see where this perspective may be coming from.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually do read the MMA threads though, and even if I didn't I get reports for those threads the same as I do for any other and make probations as seems necessary. They get less probations in general because there are less active posters on the MMA side of things than the pro-wrestling side, and they have two fairly active IKs who are there to stamp down any issues before they can get out of hand.

In terms of probations being arbitrary, I can't speak for how other posters feel but the rules I think are pretty drat clear: effectively they boil down to don't be a creep and don't be a dick. Nobody is getting probated for making interesting, creative or discussion-stimulating posts. Probations in general usually happen when somebody won't let go of a stupid argument or are just being a total dick for no reason, and nobody should ever feel comfortable being able to post that way, and the removal of that type of posting is in no way a decline in quality of posts. A lot of leeway is given for people just joking around and shooting the poo poo with each other, I think the idea of there being a culture of fear of people who feel like they're in constant danger of probation is pretty drat overblown.

As I've mentioned in the past though, every report I've ever dealt with I've had to provide a justification in the record for why I took the action (or no action) that I did - if there is a genuine belief by posters that I'm being arbitrary or just handing out probations without cause, and they feel that coming to me with their concerns either in this thread or via PM etc isn't satisfying them, they are more than welcome to take their concerns to any member of the admin team they wish. Just because I disagree with the notion of posters being too scared to post without being probated, that doesn't mean I'm right, and there is a record that can show an admin exactly what I've been doing and what my reasons were. If they agree with the criticism then they're well within their rights and power to remove me as a mod or tell me I have to change up the way I'm moderating etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yea ok posted:

Out of curiosity, what goes into the decision making behind selecting the IKs? I mean this for Brut, Mekchu and CJ2 as well. I promise this isn't an interrogation or a 'gotcha' question :razzy: just genuinely curious

From my end, Athanatos came to me and said "do you wanna be IK for Fight Island? Someone there really likes you and thinks you'd do a good job."

To which I said "um....sure?"

And then I was given buttons and a long post about how to do probations that I have never read because I am honestly quite lazy.

That is literally how I got the IK title.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 16, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I still really hate that system because it seems to work on the idea that there isn't really anything that goes into being a good mod or IK except being nice and level headed. And that's not true. Lots of very nice people have been mods or IK and ended up wilting under pressure because there is a lot more to it. From the outside looking in I think at it's best the system works despite itself and has a lot of room for improvement. At it's worst it seems lovely and isolating and takes people and tosses them into lovely situations they're not equipped to handle until they gently caress up and make everyone mad, burn out, or get revealed as a petty posting tyrant. Which isn't really anyone on our fight Island mod team, y'all are cool though I think we care more about letter of the law than the spirit of it. But everything about how this website functions is such a mess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

don't be a creep and don't be a dick.

This is a much more effective way to phrase the text of the rules. I'm serious. This should be the rules as written.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I still really hate that system because it seems to work on the idea that there isn't really anything that goes into being a good mod or IK except being nice and level headed. And that's not true. Lots of very nice people have been mods or IK and ended up wilting under pressure because there is a lot more to it. From the outside looking in I think at it's best the system works despite itself and has a lot of room for improvement. At it's worst it seems lovely and isolating and takes people and tosses them into lovely situations they're not equipped to handle until they gently caress up and make everyone mad, burn out, or get revealed as a petty posting tyrant. Which isn't really anyone on our fight Island mod team, y'all are cool though I think we care more about letter of the law than the spirit of it. But everything about how this website functions is such a mess.

In all seriousness, a wider ranging look at or criticism of the selection of IKs forums-wide is probably a good thread for QCS, as I'm really, really not the authority to speak on forums wide policys/structures/functions etc. To be specific about F(R)IGHT ISLAND itself though, being nice and level-headed isn't by itself enough to make somebody an IK, but it goes a long way towards making Junpei and I think "well we should probably consider this person", they just kind of naturally come to mind when it's time to make that decision.

As an example: the recent decision to offer karmicknight an IK role came about when Junpei suggested them, I thought it was a good idea, and then a deeper look solidified my read on karmic as an active and engaged poster who makes good threads, and has never really caused problems for anybody before. Brut and Mekchu were chosen because they are active, regular participants in MMA threads and encourage a lot of good posting. Having posters like this around who have access to a couple of extra buttons is pretty beneficial I feel. Before that, I picked CJ2 because they'd demonstrated a real interest in keeping threads on-topic and in line, and given feedback I got in the previous iteration of the feedback thread, I felt that would be helpful as an addition to my own moderation. Unfortunately CJ2, as genuine as the efforts they put in were, found the whole experience pretty miserable and that's not at all what I want the IK experience to be for anybody.

CommonShore posted:

This is a much more effective way to phrase the text of the rules. I'm serious. This should be the rules as written.

Added it to the top of the OP as a "these are the rules boiled down to their purest form" thing.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Jerusalem posted:

As long as people are making these utterly harmless jokes and people are finding them funny, there really isn't a problem.

translation: i, jerusalem, don't have a problem with these posts, so the people who have a problem don't matter.

quote:

there is nothing stopping them from making different jokes or talking about something else on-topic for the thread

except you and your personal standards for humor.

quote:

This isn't a moderation issue at all, I'm not gonna probate people for posting jokes that people enjoy even if some people are tired of seeing it.

you do probate people for posting jokes that people enjoy, when you personally aren't one of the people enjoying them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I see a joke I don't find funny, I scroll past it because who loving cares, it's just a joke. If I see a joke that is in horribly bad taste, has been reported, and is causing problems in a thread, then I either post a warning in the thread to not do that or I give somebody a probation. There really isn't anything more to it than that, it is kind of baffling to me that anybody would think otherwise.

Seth Rollins posted:

you do probate people for posting jokes that people enjoy, when you personally aren't one of the people enjoying them.

As I have noted multiple times, if you genuinely think I'm being unfair and biased in my moderating choices, and you're not satisfied with the responses you're getting in this thread, then take it to an admin and tell them what you think. Posting snarky responses in this thread isn't particularly helpful for anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, a wider ranging look at or criticism of the selection of IKs forums-wide is probably a good thread for QCS, as I'm really, really not the authority to speak on forums wide policys/structures/functions etc. To be specific about F(R)IGHT ISLAND itself though, being nice and level-headed isn't by itself enough to make somebody an IK, but it goes a long way towards making Junpei and I think "well we should probably consider this person", they just kind of naturally come to mind when it's time to make that decision.

As an example: the recent decision to offer karmicknight an IK role came about when Junpei suggested them, I thought it was a good idea, and then a deeper look solidified my read on karmic as an active and engaged poster who makes good threads, and has never really caused problems for anybody before. Brut and Mekchu were chosen because they are active, regular participants in MMA threads and encourage a lot of good posting. Having posters like this around who have access to a couple of extra buttons is pretty beneficial I feel. Before that, I picked CJ2 because they'd demonstrated a real interest in keeping threads on-topic and in line, and given feedback I got in the previous iteration of the feedback thread, I felt that would be helpful as an addition to my own moderation. Unfortunately CJ2, as genuine as the efforts they put in were, found the whole experience pretty miserable and that's not at all what I want the IK experience to be for anybody.

Added it to the top of the OP as a "these are the rules boiled down to their purest form" thing.

Honestly I've tried and I feel like the response every time is that anything else would be too difficult, I care too much, or I'm worried about problems (like someone using their dumb posting crown to abuse the position) that won't happen and couldn't happen (even though they have) so I've stopped bothering. People in charge seem very happy with the system we have and don't seem to want to examine anything about it. So honestly if you think it's a good idea you should go to QCS or the mod forum and pass it up to someone because I've never gotten anywhere.