Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

!Klams posted:

Sunless Sea is amazing, but I didn't have time for it in my life, so I cheated to see the ending. What I did was just give myself enough money to buy all the best ships, equipment, food etc, so that I'd never be without, and could tackle any enemy in the game.

What I got was a MUCH more competent game that was still by no means easy. loving hell, I cannot FATHOM how many hours you'd have to sink into it to get to the stage I was at, but you'd basically have to be at that point to do a lot of the stuff I was doing, and even then sometimes it would be touch and go. I still haven't seen the ending, or, really even close to the end, because even with all that poo poo it was STILL a slog.

I honestly cannot recommend the game without cheating now I've seen how much better it is with.

It’s so overturned because they listened to the early access people with a shitmillion hours complaining the early game was too easy. Unless you had been playing obsessively since it came out there was no way in hell it would be even close to approachable without cheating. I heard that Skies was significantly better difficulty wise but I haven’t gotten to play it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I mean barely playable because it sucked real bad and had ridiculous load times, not because it was literally broken.

Some of the quests were literally broken when I tired to play it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

!Klams posted:

Sunless Sea is amazing, but I didn't have time for it in my life, so I cheated to see the ending. What I did was just give myself enough money to buy all the best ships, equipment, food etc, so that I'd never be without, and could tackle any enemy in the game.

What I got was a MUCH more competent game that was still by no means easy. loving hell, I cannot FATHOM how many hours you'd have to sink into it to get to the stage I was at, but you'd basically have to be at that point to do a lot of the stuff I was doing, and even then sometimes it would be touch and go. I still haven't seen the ending, or, really even close to the end, because even with all that poo poo it was STILL a slog.

I honestly cannot recommend the game without cheating now I've seen how much better it is with.

I had the same experience minus the godlike powers. I just realized that the lore and gameplay simply doesn't justify the investment necessary.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly RTWP feels like this really awkward medium in CRPGs where they want to be about banter and story poo poo but also have tactical combat when i think the people who are in for that are two different groups of people.

It's definitely not a system conducive to particularly interesting tactics.

Also I think Advanced Squad Leader could use a modern reimagining ala x-com as its scale fits the abstractions that the design seems to favor much better than the man-to-man stuff.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
regarding cheating and fun - Celeste is superbly fun with the ‘assist mode’ option that gives you double dash in every level. I never play with one dash any more.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This is the worst videogame opinion I've ever seen

In an RPG, If the player's party is strong enough to auto-win fights by just picking attack 20 times in a row, those fights should just be removed from the game. At the very lest add some autofight mechanic that just skips to the end.
If it's an action game then trivial fights can still be interesting just to mess around or juggle enemies with your sword or aim for headshots or whatever.
But in a turn-based/strategic game, making decisions is the gameplay, and if I don't have to make any decisions in a fight I'm just going to get mind-numbingly bored.

I'm talking specifically about realtime + pause bioware-style rpgs / Dragon Age Origins. Having normal encounters be interesting is good if the game is actually good or there is interesting tactical decisions - e.g. I really like XCOM / FFT/ Fire Emblem / other tactic game styles. What I don't like is lovely pausable "realtime" AI - I feel like on normal, I should be able to coach/script it to the point where it wins battles, but not have to micro unless the encounter is important (or perhaps there shouldn't be unimportant encounters.)

Like my ideal real time with pause game wouldn't even have a pause - the fights would entirely be done through scripting / coaching, and you'd just have to figure out through experimenting with encounters how to configure your party so it wins the battle.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ocean Book posted:

regarding cheating and fun - Celeste is superbly fun with the ‘assist mode’ option that gives you double dash in every level. I never play with one dash any more.

maybe if your power levels are too low to play the game as intended

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I'm talking specifically about realtime + pause bioware-style rpgs / Dragon Age Origins. Having normal encounters be interesting is good if the game is actually good or there is interesting tactical decisions - e.g. I really like XCOM / FFT/ Fire Emblem / other tactic game styles. What I don't like is lovely pausable "realtime" AI - I feel like on normal, I should be able to coach/script it to the point where it wins battles, but not have to micro unless the encounter is important (or perhaps there shouldn't be unimportant encounters.)

Like my ideal real time with pause game wouldn't even have a pause - the fights would entirely be done through scripting / coaching, and you'd just have to figure out through experimenting with encounters how to configure your party so it wins the battle.

This just means there shouldn't be unimportant fights, what's the point of a fight if you can just watch the AI autoresolve it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

They aren't adventure games until I have to solve the Underdark by hypnotizing a monkey to become a monkey wrench

i finished bg1 but never got very far in 2, i'm actually kind of disappointed this isn't a real puzzle in the underdark

i remember enjoying the original neverwinter nights back in the day. that was nice... i gave a copy to my buddy and he made an archer cuz that was his poo poo. he learned the hard way about how enchanted bows dont enchant your arrows for purposes of piercing damage resistance. otoh i learned the easy way that vanilla 3e Haste grants two standard actions instead of one extra hit per full attack like 3.5. i may have been a poo poo gently caress bard but nothing stands a chance against two blizzards or missile storms PER ROUND

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 15, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

steinrokkan posted:

This just means there shouldn't be unimportant fights, what's the point of a fight if you can just watch the AI autoresolve it.

There are some games that are all about setting up your team with equipment and AI plans where you don't control stuff in-game at all.
Gratuitous Space Battles does this IIRC, as do the Dominions series of 4X games.

But yeah I agree in a normal RPG those fights just shouldn't really exist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

They aren't adventure games until I have to solve the Underdark by hypnotizing a monkey to become a monkey wrench

Oh you meant puzzle game!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most rpgs should have fewer than 25 fights, maybe fewer than 10

but each of them actually really interesting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

I really liked the death and legacy systems of Sunless Sea, and enjoyed my many doomed voyages. Sunless Sea is basically a roguelike, there are a bunch of legacy items that give all of your future captains permanent massive stat boosts but they require either reaching one of the games many endings (I think there are like 5?) or doing something else pretty remarkable (such as founding your own nation and receiving an embassy from one of the other nations).

I think that's a somewhat unpopular opinion, enjoying Sunless Sea as it is.

Keep in mind that a lot of the story content requires repeatedly going to the same ports over and over, and you can wrack up tons of money by just doing a bunch of ports in a big loop. Once you've figured this out it becomes easy to generate a ton of cash for future legacies, and then you can work on the easier legacy items and start going after harder and harder story paths. I logged about 80 hours and I think I've seen everything the game has to offer

e: I totally pulled up Cheat Engine for Sunless Skies though. That game launched with no option to boost your engine's speed, so people in the SA thread suggested mapping a few keys to increase game speed. That was a massive help, otherwise you're just spending all of your time watching your train slowly fly through space

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 15, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

How did you get those cheats working? Never got far in that due to the frustrating resource management but I'd like to go back and actually experience it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

QuarkJets posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of the story content requires repeatedly going to the same ports over and over

Yeah, exactly. And I really liked it too, but it took me like nine hours to die the first time, and I was up till 3am working last night. The two don't really square, unfortunately. I wish I could spend 70 hours to get to the end, but I just can't. It's a shame, because the first time I came across the really scary thing, it sent genuine shivers up my spine, it's one of the creepiest things that's ever happened to me in a game, one of THE best moments, but it only worked because of how long I'd been staring at the game, how much I'd read, how on my head the universe totally was, and you just couldn't achieve the same mental state without it being the pace it is. But the pace is just incompatible with my life.

Lodin posted:

How did you get those cheats working? Never got far in that due to the frustrating resource management but I'd like to go back and actually experience it.

It was a case of hacking it, I can't remember specifically, ill go have a look see if I can find what I did

Oh yeah, the saves are in plain text:

c:\users\username\Appdata\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\Saves

You can just open it with notepad and it's all fairly obvious what you need to edit to do what.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 15, 2020

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

!Klams posted:

Just like Fallen London. Failbetter really should make books or comics instead of games because they really don't know how to make games fun, at all. It's a drat shame because their lore is so rich.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm starting to think I should just sell my PS5 and wait a month to buy one.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

tripwood posted:

Just like Fallen London. Failbetter really should make books or comics instead of games because they really don't know how to make games fun, at all. It's a drat shame because their lore is so rich.

modernvideogames.txt

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most rpgs should have fewer than 25 fights, maybe fewer than 10

but each of them actually really interesting

This is why tactical RPGs are the best.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

It was a case of hacking it, I can't remember specifically, ill go have a look see if I can find what I did

Oh yeah, the saves are in plain text:

c:\users\username\Appdata\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\Saves

You can just open it with notepad and it's all fairly obvious what you need to edit to do what.

Cool. Guess I'm making a mental note of that and going back the next time I have nothing better to play.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really wish someone would make a game somehow combining the design philosophies of Mario and GTA

Would be the perfect drunken gently caress around game

Hello may I introduce you to the Prototype games?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

is pepsi ok posted:

This is why tactical RPGs are the best.

which srpg has more than two or three meaningful encounters? fft has slums in dorter, which is only memorable because it's unfairly weighted against the player since the enemies start with perfect positioning and you start cornered in a pit, and you have no options but they have all the equipment and classes in the world; later, fft has riovanes castle, which is only memorable because it's one of the most notorious point-of-no-return gotchas in the ps1's library.

i think most tactical rpgs have tons of meaningless encounters as well--consider the new xcom games, where the first time you do a map you haven't seen before, it's intimidating and scary, but after you've done that map or mission type once, you're going to have to do them over and over again except next time both you and the enemies will have scaled up your equipment by one tier. play safe, play aggresive, play where you put your snipers in flight suits on overwatch with infinite range and sight, whatever, you're more reacting to rng and stupid spawning rules than actually playing tactically or strategically. it's just a treadmill without novelty.

novel boss encounters. that's what you're looking for. but those are hard to design in tactical games, too, because you're working with small numbers and basing your system on probability rather than real-time reactivity and skill, so they end up being crappy traps of gotcha passives and counterattacks. xcom's final boss just randomly takes no damage and reflects your attacks back at you, gibbing you instantly. that's... not exactly good.

i know i'm say a lot of words against it but i think you're right in the sense that the most important thing is that every major encounter is interesting. but i think that srpgs and their kin are among the hardest games to design meaningful encounters for because they're always a little bit rocket tag (and when they aren't, you get garbage like banner saga where you just game it so you leave all your enemies alive at 1hp until you clean up lol). the only genre that's harder to make climactic battles for is shooters

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
JRPGS - usually too over the top and go on for far too long, way too much anime, eg: Final Fantasy

Tactial RPGS - Fantastic combat but usually utterly dross stories, usually far too anime eg: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars

D&DRPGS - Generally pretty unsatisfying to play (without cheats) although by far the richest and most engrossing stories eg: Baldurs Gate, Planescape

ARPGS - satisfying to replay due to player skill allowing for added spectacle. The sort of game you watch the cutscenes once but play the game 6 times, eg: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, God Hand

W(estern) RPGS - Usually very well presented but fairly flawed games, generally well liked by the gaming public especially at release but over time increasingly hated on internet forums eg: Fallout 3, Witcher 3

MMORPGS - fun but also time consuming, you might as well give up every irl activity you take part in just so you can get that level 999 ork-staff :eg World of Warcraft

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

which srpg has more than two or three meaningful encounters?

Tactics Ogre has a shiiiiitload, that game owns so hard. (I know, it's famicom not snes)

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

absolute turbofuck weirdo

Great forums username

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Tactics Ogre has a shiiiiitload, that game owns so hard. (I know, it's famicom not snes)

fair enough i haven't played tactics ogre. but i've read that it's one of those games that you just cheese with some kind of extremely accessible god strat, in this case "archers only." if it's an ogre-series game though maybe the meaningful part is HOW you do the maps, rather than just defeating all the enemies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's good but isn't always viable since the enemy often has the higher ground, but there are plenty of ways to get overpowered. My favourite is finding a spell that can morph a character into a crazy powerful sword.

There's lots of cool secrets in that game, I'd really recommend it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mario 35 continues to be insanely fun and i love it

either there's some really heavy lobby weighting or the playerbase is getting much better because i haven't been able to win at all this week. it might actually just be because of the way that level unlocks and choices work - i've finally seen a shitload more people picking 4-1 and 8-3 and just littering the game with dozens of lakitus and hammer bros, which makes things devolve into total insanity

it really owns and i'm going to be very bummed when it's shut down in march or whatever

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The Last of Us 1 is a slow, boring, tedious journey through a thoroughly nihilistic world with melodramatic and overwrought emotional stakes. I have no opinion on TLoU2 because I can't imagine it getting any better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lucas Archer posted:

The Last of Us 1 is a slow, boring, tedious journey through a thoroughly nihilistic world with melodramatic and overwrought emotional stakes. I have no opinion on TLoU2 because I can't imagine it getting any better.

The last of us isn't at all a bad game but it also isn't "the best videogame ever made" which I have heard multiple people say

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

!Klams posted:

The problem with sunless sea is there's just too much dead air as you sail from port to port, especially once you've figured out your trade routes and are just grinding all the storylines, where nothing ever happens unless you forgot to buy food or fuel. This is a game that would lose almost nothing if it had fast travel- that's how dull and empty the travel bits are.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The last of us isn't at all a bad game but it also isn't "the best videogame ever made" which I have heard multiple people say

yeah i found it rather boring and uninspired honestly i have never understood why its held in such high regard

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Last of Us get's a 0/5 out of me because the controls* change at times, for absolutely no sane reason.

*) Yeah I'm talking about "sprinting"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Earwicker posted:

yeah i found it rather boring and uninspired honestly i have never understood why its held in such high regard

well, its well written and presented in a way that even someone very new to games can pick up and experience

that and marketing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm playing it on Grounded right now and I'm having a very good time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

All the tryhard "only the ruthless survive, I am a bad man" stuff put me right off.

Also I saw a clip where a guy had to kill his dog which was infected, i mean how much more hackneyed can you get?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
They should make one where you're the dog and you have to kill your person because they got infected, but like it's all in barks and whimpers because you're a dog and the people all sound like the teacher from peanuts

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

They should make one where you're the dog and you have to kill your person because they got infected, but like it's all in barks and whimpers because you're a dog and the people all sound like the teacher from peanuts

the last of us but you play as the dog and you kill everyone because you're hungry. the game has a fully-realized script and all the lines are recorded wholly but a muffle/static filter goes over 99% of it and the only words you can hear clearly are Good, Bad, Dog, No, Come, Stay regardless of their context in the full recording.

interactions with other dogs are communicated through expensive and exacting canine motion capture with subtitles

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

the last of us but you play as the dog and you kill everyone because you're hungry. the game has a fully-realized script and all the lines are recorded wholly but a muffle/static filter goes over 99% of it and the only words you can hear clearly are Good, Bad, Dog, No, Come, Stay regardless of their context in the full recording.

interactions with other dogs are communicated through expensive and exacting canine motion capture with subtitles

The listen mode is replaced with a smell mode that identifies the nearest person with food in their pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

I'm playing it on Grounded right now and I'm having a very good time.

You might have a better time if you played on easy