Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

HD DAD posted:

I’ll get a serious kick out of things if TCW shenanigans and maybe even someone like Daniels plays a role in all of this.

Me too, it seems like the Burn happened about a decade after TCW ended, ala about how far we are in time from when Enterprise ended essentially. Bringing Daniels back as someone involved in that event would be a good tie in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nullsmack posted:

The hell would space camo even look like?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Payndz posted:

The premise of Disco S3 irks me because it's saying "everything your heroes worked to build and protect in the previous shows? All for nothing, suckers!" (I haven't seen Picard yet, but I gather it's definitely stepping along that path with the Federation being Trumpified.)

Still, at least by being set centuries past anything else it's not like the Star Wars sequels, where your heroes were actually still around to see the full extent of their failures before being killed off.

Honestly, seems kind of miserable for the end goal of any work of fiction for all its characters and factions to be eternal. The Burnham happens hundreds of years after the other shows, the Federation had a good run and helped a bunch of people, time for a different faction in this time period. Same goes for the Star Wars olds.

I'm generally down on Kurtzman trek, but the future setting and end of the federation is AOK by me; Kurtzman-Abrams writers dont like the federation's squeaky clean post-scarcity ideas, now they have a reason for it to not exist in a show instead of shoehorning poverty and Fox News into it. They can finally blossom into the mid-tier Amazon scifi they want to be.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Payndz posted:

The premise of Disco S3 irks me because it's saying "everything your heroes worked to build and protect in the previous shows? All for nothing, suckers!" (I haven't seen Picard yet, but I gather it's definitely stepping along that path with the Federation being Trumpified.)

Still, at least by being set centuries past anything else it's not like the Star Wars sequels, where your heroes were actually still around to see the full extent of their failures before being killed off.

I mean, this is kind of the road DS9 started down, so I don't really object. The "ideal-lism" of a lot of Trek does contain itself to whatever ship a given show is about; there was plenty of evidence that Starfleet was stuffed with narrow-minded apparatchiks (Sadie, Jellico, to a lesser degree Nechayev, etc).

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I'm generally down on Kurtzman trek, but the future setting and end of the federation is AOK by me; Kurtzman-Abrams writers dont like the federation's squeaky clean post-scarcity ideas, now they have a reason for it to not exist in a show instead of shoehorning poverty and Fox News into it. They can finally blossom into the mid-tier Amazon scifi they want to be.

I'd be fine with a "federation in a decline" story line but it needs to be developed and explored over time and with the right kind of reasoning. Just saying welp, all the di-lithium blew up, let's pack it in boys is pretty dumb

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This was the first episode of Discovery I have watched.

Then this is for you. The entire setting has been rebooted with the intention for audiences to start here and not at the pilot.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lister posted:

I'd be fine with a "federation in a decline" story line but it needs to be developed and explored over time and with the right kind of reasoning. Just saying welp, all the di-lithium blew up, let's pack it in boys is pretty dumb

I burst out laughing at this explanation. It's something I at my dumbest could never have thought of.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lister posted:

I think the last thing the show needs is for the caliber of writers that they have coming up with a compelling case for why the Federation would naturally decline, especially at this point where a lot of fans seem to believe the modern trek writers hold active disdain for the concept of a peaceful humanitarian faction.

Even in a most charitable estimate of fan reaction, you'd be hearing a lot of "KURTZMAN HATES THE FEDERATION" rabble. The goofy "dilithium blew up, no more star empires" reason is bizarre and off-hand enough to put any mess in erasing the Federation out of the picture; it's scifi guff that you cant read ill intent into.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 15, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spaceballs?! There goes the planet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they don’t hate the federation but they do know gritty poo poo sells but also have no interest in making it transition to being gritty.

It’s like those tedious comics that became obsssesed with making the Jedi the bad guys

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I think the last thing the show needs is for the caliber of writers that they have coming up with a compelling case for why the Federation would naturally decline, especially at this point where a lot of fans seem to believe the modern trek writers hold active disdain for the concept of a peaceful humanitarian faction.

Even in a most charitable estimate of fan reaction, you'd be hearing a lot of "KURTZMAN HATES THE FEDERATION" rabble. The goofy "dilithium blew up, no more star empires" reason is bizarre and off-hand enough to put any mess in erasing the Federation out of the picture; it's scifi guff that you cant read ill intent into.

I'm sure it'll all be worth it when they introduce the secret evil force that deliberately sabotaged all the dilithium to destroy the Federation, we still like stock video game antagonists in these shows right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

pyrotek posted:

That felt about 90% like a pilot for a good Star Wars show, and the last 10% like Star Trek. Not bad, really. I appreciate that the show isn’t afraid to get weird.

Burnham cry count: 1 full, 2 very close
“That’s impossible!” or variants: 2

Yeah, it was very Star Wars. At least it was fun and had an excellent cat, I dunno. Last season burned me by opening strong and then going to poo poo, I will not be fooled again. :argh:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Romulans. Maybe they had a resurgence once the whole supernova emergency is more or less over. Didn't lose FTL travel because they use singularities instead of dilithium. Still pissed at Spock.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

multijoe posted:

I'm sure it'll all be worth it when they introduce the secret evil force that deliberately sabotaged all the dilithium to destroy the Federation, we still like stock video game antagonists in these shows right?

For sure, if you think about it, there's been a secret bad guy that's revealed in the second half of every season of the new trek shows.

Disco S1 had secret evil Lorca S2 had secret evil AI Picard had secret evil machine empire

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Wee Bairns posted:

Romulans. Maybe they had a resurgence once the whole supernova emergency is more or less over. Didn't lose FTL travel because they use singularities instead of dilithium. Still pissed at Spock.

Maybe we'll find out in episode 7: Unification III

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My dartboard prediction: Section 31 caused The Burn by loving with Omega particles

they're making a show about them, they will find some excuse to shoehorn them into relevance this season despite being 900 years removed.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Burnham continues to be the weakest part of the show. She is a side character actress who is forced into being the main protagonist. Nothing against Sonequa Martin-Green but I just don't see enough talent/charisma from her to carry such a role (she was already at best average in TWD). The writing certainly doesn't help her but even the goofy scenes in the latest episode were just off, she simply can't find a proper balance between her overacting and expressionless state.
It goes without saying that this continued focus on her is also a bad sign for things to come and that they will repeat the mistakes of the last two seasons.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

Sephiroth caused the Burn.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Honestly, seems kind of miserable for the end goal of any work of fiction for all its characters and factions to be eternal. The Burnham happens hundreds of years after the other shows, the Federation had a good run and helped a bunch of people, time for a different faction in this time period. Same goes for the Star Wars olds.

Yeah. If this was in the 26th century or something it would be disappointing, but it's easy to underappreciated how far forward they have gone.

The Discovery Seasons 1 and 2 era is 250 years in our future. Season 3 takes place 1150 years in our future.

Or to put it another way, it takes place 800 years after the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Here are some events that took place 800 years before those series:

quote:

1585: Colony at Roanoke founded in North America.
1585–1604: The Anglo-Spanish War is fought on both sides of the Atlantic.
1587: Mary, Queen of Scots is executed by Elizabeth I.
1587: The reign of Abbas I marks the zenith of the Safavid dynasty.
1587: Troops that would invade Pajang Mataram Sultanate storm ravaged the eruption of Mount Merapi. Sutawijaya and his men survived.
1588: Mataram into the kingdom with Sutawijaya as Sultan, titled "Senapati Ingalaga Sayidin Panatagama" means the warlord and cleric Manager Religious Life.
1588: England repulses the Spanish Armada.

The fact that the Federation still apparently exists in a reduced form, Starfleet ships are still flying around and people know what it's all about suggest that the Federation was stunningly successful for a long time.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

LinkesAuge posted:

Burnham continues to be the weakest part of the show. She is a side character actress who is forced into being the main protagonist. Nothing against Sonequa Martin-Green but I just don't see enough talent/charisma from her to carry such a role (she was already at best average in TWD). The writing certainly doesn't help her but even the goofy scenes in the latest episode were just off, she simply can't find a proper balance between her overacting and expressionless state.
It goes without saying that this continued focus on her is also a bad sign for things to come and that they will repeat the mistakes of the last two seasons.

I just think a Star Trek series with a clear lead character is ill-conceived, at best. It's not working with Picard, either. S2 was better than S1 specifically because it ceded the stage to the supporting cast a bit more. Hopefully that happens more in S3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah. If this was in the 26th century or something it would be disappointing, but it's easy to underappreciated how far forward they have gone.

The Discovery Seasons 1 and 2 era is 250 years in our future. Season 3 takes place 1150 years in our future.

Or to put it another way, it takes place 800 years after the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Here are some events that took place 800 years before those series:

The fact that the Federation still apparently exists in a reduced form, Starfleet ships are still flying around and people know what it's all about suggest that the Federation was stunningly successful for a long time.

Corollary to this, if some guy started driving a battleship around claiming to be a 16th century Castilian out to reestablish the empire of Charles V, we would rightly see him and his project as dangerous and insane.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

skasion posted:

Corollary to this, if some guy started driving a battleship around claiming to be a 16th century Castilian out to reestablish the empire of Charles V, we would rightly see him and his project as dangerous and insane.
If it was a period-appropriate battleship then he'd get exactly one (1) surprise fight against an unprepared civilian ship or port, and then the most impoverished navy in the world would light it up with M2HBs and that's that. A fun weird story to talk about like Felix von Luckner during WWI to those who care about niche history, but otherwise irrelevant.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arquinsiel posted:

If it was a period-appropriate battleship then he'd get exactly one (1) surprise fight against an unprepared civilian ship or port, and then the most impoverished navy in the world would light it up with M2HBs and that's that. A fun weird story to talk about like Felix von Luckner during WWI to those who care about niche history, but otherwise irrelevant.

Ah, but due to its superpowers the Disco was stricken from the historical record and never spoken of again. So it’s like if he was sailing around in a galleon that could also launch Exocets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gonz posted:

Hopefully this isn't a continuation of the ultra violence in Picard.

I want to watch Star Trek, CBS. Not Skull Trek.

Nobody needs to have their lungs ripped out or shot with a harpoon gun or anything like that. Just tell me a story where no rendition black sites exist.

What if we revisit the Conspiracy storyline?

Or better yet, base a whole series around it?

mr. unhsib posted:

Was that the first Lurian we’ve seen other than Morn?

There were two on Lower Decks, a male and a female.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

skasion posted:

Ah, but due to its superpowers the Disco was stricken from the historical record and never spoken of again. So it’s like if he was sailing around in a galleon that could also launch Exocets.
So... uh... you should totally go read about Felix von Luckner.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thom12255 posted:

I enjoyed it and think the season will be fun enough to uncover. I'm guessing the Federation is just Earth and Vulcan and maybe some others now.

Can there even be fast enough travel between Earth and Vulcan after what happened?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

having the Burn be dilithium becoming unstable does not sound as great of a reason as some of the fan theories (spoilering in case anyone doesn't want to know what didn't pan out): the omega particle, or something akin to the subspace damage from warp travel in general

mostly because having the problem be the "fuel" so to speak seems a lot easier to get around since a) as long as you could create enough energy, you could generate a warp field, so dilithium wasn't even that critical to warp travel b) there's even still some dilithium apparently? does it have a half-life now or something?

anyway, my biggest fear is that this new setting won't be used to tell new stories (e.g. ones we haven't seen even in other science fiction or genres), but i'll give it a bit before i eject or anything

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Dilithium isn't found on Earth, and Cochrane broke the warp barrier without it. Don't forget that dilithium is just for anti-matter warp reactors. The Romulans use artificial singularities for their warp cores, so the dilithium meltdown shouldn't affect that technology.

Even if the Federation doesn't adopt Romulan tech, presumably they'd still have access to very slow warp travel using fusion or some less efficient anti-matter power generation.

That's of course, assuming that disco gives a poo poo about the established tech of the setting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A.o.D. posted:

.. .

That's of course, assuming that disco gives a poo poo about the established tech of the setting.

Having watched the pilot three years ago and nothing else I assume this is totally the case because it's a prequel. Surely they have a deep love and respect for the setting and themes of the franchise.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nullsmack posted:

I liked that episode. So far I have nothing to complain about.

The hell would space camo even look like?

Multicam black. Lululemon being the first result when I tried Google image search made me loving lol my eyes out. Select "Variegated Mesh Camo Black", because they can't call it multicam without licensing it.

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/m-pace-breaker-short/Pace-Breaker-Short-7Linerless/_/prod9010030

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 16, 2020

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I have to wonder what this all means for Calypso. The ship was sitting there for 1000 years and the Federation had become the V'draysh. In 3188 it's still called the Federation so does that mean Calpso might not have occurred for another 1000 years, in the 42nd century?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

pik_d posted:

I have to wonder what this all means for Calypso. The ship was sitting there for 1000 years and the Federation had become the V'draysh. In 3188 it's still called the Federation so does that mean Calpso might not have occurred for another 1000 years, in the 42nd century?

Yeah, Calypso never gave an exact date, just that it had been 1000 years since the ship had been abandoned.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mfw they spray me with space drugs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My running thoughts on this episode:

dilithium is the hell not the only warp fuel

They did the andorians dirty

The andorians and orions are both plastic people now

fountain of spooge

fist guns look dumb and bad

they can't track us underwater lmao why

disintegration ring causes a cut, magic plant cures it. ok

all time travel tech was destroyed AFTER... this seems problematic, wouldn't it always exist somewhere in spacetime

he was just suckling you, don't spoil the milk

millenium falcon b-wing rear end sideways ship

Michael Burnham is the savior of the federation of course

FLAG CODE

Is she in a position to offer field commissions?

This is definitely one way not to gently caress with continuity any more I guess

I get that discovery can probably out-propulsion anybody but it seems like in every other way they would get schooled. Like, blown up by a sidearm.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Bloop posted:

Is she in a position to offer field commissions?

If they find someone who can tell her not to, that's a resounding success for the guy who now gets a real commission from actual 32nd century Starfleet. If they don't find someone who can tell her not to, then there's no problem with her having done it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I loved this episode. This is going to be a great season.

Payndz posted:

Naw. As noted here:

Senor Tron posted:

It is amazing how successful they were. They were so successful that someone inherited the tradition from their family to keep the lights on, so to speak, even though they weren't officially working for the Federation.

Like seriously, the amount of hope and optimism on display in the final minutes of this episode were so uplifiting. So sweet. Assuming that sets the stage for what this season is striving for, this is going to be a great season.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Boy them locations sure are pretty.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Puzzled by one comment: "the long range sensors failed decades ago"... why would that be? Beyond the Great Dilithium Murder Mystery, there doesn't seem to be a general technological decline that would lead to something like "we forgot how sensors worked".

Unless maybe these are distant sensor outposts that had signals relayed around and both the outposts and the relays all failed and they can't get to them anymore? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Crusader posted:

Unless maybe these are distant sensor outposts that had signals relayed around and both the outposts and the relays all failed and they can't get to them anymore? :thunk:

Yeah, I was assuming it was an infrastructure problem. Like the accident causes an initial large number of staff/machinery to go down. The remaining people/infrastructure were too thinly spread out across vast reaches of space and so bit by bit various linkages failed.