Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

I would like Public Executions posted:

I would really like to see Public Executions. I want to be a bad guy in Star Citizen. My dream is to hunt down criminals, bring them in, and execute them my self in front of people. I would really like it if that could happen to me as well. If someone could capture me, and the whole time Im playing my character. So they have me tied up and such and the bring me to the gallows. And the npcs force me down to the rope, or the guillotine, and as they put my head down I look out to the crowd of people and then... black.

It would be so fun for me to be able to experience that kind of fidelity with killing. I'm laughing at how violent this is.

Or just. Public Execution is general. Just capturing someone, like the leader of an enemy org. And in front of your whole own org you execute the guy!

I was watching Command & Conquer videos and this one is represents what i want pretty well...

Edit: I love being able to link youtube videos with time stamps! Great job who ever made the forums here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISDQg899qVY

quote:

The Messers will rise again! People aren't afraid. We are more brave then ever! Now. We want to secure our safety. Safety through the death of others.

As I speak now, young men and women rise up under the guise of a Pitch fork. They ready them selves to battle, to send them selves to the Vanduul front to start unholy war! Thousands will die. It will start a war with the 'Duul unmatched from anything before! The organizers of the Pitchfork movement must be executed!

All across Spectrum death flys! Death is everywhere! And you shall not escape it! It will be in the stars! On the planets! In every public square! Death! Death! DEATH!

DEATH TO THE ENEMIES OF MESSER!

Edit: Actually if I wanted my character to be sensible I could talked about how the Imperator seat was created by Messers. But it's still active. So as long as a person is a "Good" person they can be the Imperator? But was the Imperator formed by Messers for authoritarian control? Just because it's not a Messer on the seat that doesn't change. Which is why I love Star Citizen. I love how everyone has giant cannons on their ships and everyone is a "good" guy/gal. haha. It's like. No. It's never okay to kill people. Im laughing pretty hard. It's so funny to me the way it's just like "ahh bandits in space, they aren't real people."

I read a lot of posts where people dont care about killing "trolls" or "Grefiers" but sometimes it feels like any time you attack anyone for any reason your automatically a troll or griefer. But im over simplifying things a lot. So I try to translate that into any story or character. What is going on in Star Citizen that theres all these people who can fly space ships, which would need years of education and physical discipline, that changes all these people into killers. A lot of people are, "I just wanna be a trader. But Ill kill bad guy." Well then you're not just a trader. You're a killer. As long as the Imperator is a good person everyone would be fine with public executions as long as they were bad people.

And then going further. There are people who probably really dont want execution because they dont want their characters to die. And those people I really want to publicly execute. But if I failed and they killed me it could be so much fun for them!

UGGH. It would be so fun to be hunted down by a bunch of goodie tooshoes. And then bring me somewhere, they list out all my crimes, and then they kill me. And it could make such a fulfilling story. And you could make a character and have an end for that characters. And MMOS never have endings. If they make some family system where you can just pick up off as a son or cousin, it wouldnt be the end of your game, just the characters story.

Join the Dark Side! Together we can traverse the verse and slay any would-begotten heroes! The galaxy is ours for the taking!

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Messer is German for knife.

It is not a "cool" word, and nobody would name themselves "Messers". Especially since another meaning of messer is "someone who measures things".

Though perhaps they actually measure things. Heads perhaps, with calipers. Commander Measurehead, of the Messers. It all makes sense now.

(Wat)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Antigravitas posted:

It is not a "cool" word, and nobody would name themselves "Messers".

do u know how literally common a name this is

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Star Citizens making a messers of things, I see

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

The information about how the simulated population of the PU is represented goes back over years, it is very dense and tends to use quite a bit of technical jargon... for example that word 'instantiated' might seem like a slightly made up word to say 'instanced, or put in place' etc, but it isn't, it has an actual meaning in computer science. It's when one part of a representation of a game asset or phenomenon is handled by one system when it is merely virtually simulated and then transferred to another game system when it becomes a possible player encounter. The player does not see this transfer take place. Game designers have spent decades learning how to 'fake' things that the player sees or experiences, NPC scripting is a part of this fakery. Scripts are triggered by what the players do and where they are, but they cannot change. If you go to Whiterun you will see Heimskr sometimes, but he will always be in Whiterun and his behaviour won't change. If you go to the market you will see NPC's and they will have dialogue and actions t perform, if however you are wearing an Amulet of Marra you will have a different script running for that NPC interaction. It's faked to look like the NPC has choice and autonomy, when they don't. The same in Mass Effect etc, if you hit the right dialogue tree options then the character interaction script options change. It's not dynamic, it's faked. The difference is that Chris Roberts will always take the opportunity to not fake it if he possibly can.

In Star Citizen the NPC's (both AI and Quantum) can change, they have personality traits and goals which can be affected by events, environment and player interactions. The Quantum system tells the AI NPC probability controller whether a player is likely to encounter an NPC at a particular location and time, and what type of NPC they will likely encounter. Once spawned the AI system takes control and the player interaction also governs what happens to that NPC, they may go 'out of sight' and back into the Quantum system, or they may persist with the player for as long as the player continues that relationship.

It is also not necessarily 'things' that are instantiated it could be a change in a condition. For example an NPC is a shop vendor that you encounter regularly since you have a home nearby where (s)he works. As they build up a r record of interaction with you the possibility of them changing roles begins to emerge the game system dynamically changes the options for that AI NPC according to the amount of player contact they have. You may get the opportunity to ask them to accompany you wherever you go, they then leave their job and have completely different set of goals from now on. If you then decide to part ways, the NPC will go off and find other things to do according to the environmental influences that exist at the time... but they have a record of what happened which stays with them even if they become 'virtual again', if you go to a place where they are 'virtually', there is a chance you will meet them again and they will remember you.

Will there be an exact ratio of 9:1 NPC's to a player wherever they go? Not necessarily, it depends upon the local environmental conditions. If 50 players go out into deep space, then the likely ratio to NPC to players will be near 0:1 for the majority of the time, but if those players now choose to go to an abandoned area where the economy has run down according to local conditions or lore then it wouldn't be appropriate to 'instantiate' 450 NPC's in a place that is supposed to be virtually deserted. So you may get a 1:1 ratio or perhaps 2:1 ratio. Now let's say that one of the group of 50 decides to go off to TEASA Spaceport, he's the only live player in there - it's supposed to be a busy bustling spaceport, they won't put in 9 NPC's just to maintain a strict 9:1 ratio - they'll put in whatever seems appropriate to the environment.

To answer your question specifically with the above in mind, if 100K player congregate in one area in the game (extremely unlikely and in a lot of places not even possible due to physical space constraints) then the NPC:PC ratio would be appropriate to the local conditions for that place. In your mind you are now thinking, well if 100K players turn up at TEASA Spaceport that's a huge number of NPC's in a small geographic region - but TEASA Spaceport couldn't physically hold 100K players, so it's not going to happen. The vendors will be there, the maintenance personnel, the security checkpoint guards and the mission giver NPC's will be there no matter how many PC's there are.

This 'environment appropriate' population is unique, most games simply have scripted events and that includes where NPC's are placed and what their actions are. Star Citizen NPC's (AI controlled) will be location and environment aware they have goals and personalities - they have homes, jobs and a 24 hours life cycle which includes places they like to hang out after work and which 'friends' they hang out with, if one area is far too crowded they will avoid it. If a place becomes run down or crime ridden, they will leave and go somewhere else. The quantum system merely deals with what the local environment 'should' look like according to the economic drivers and local conditions, the AI controllers take this into account when deciding which NPC's, and how many, to spawn in an area. The game server will also take into account how many players are in that area and they become part of the 'local population calculation' for the time they are present. They have told us that the Quantum system can handle up to 2 million virtual NPC's. If these were simple scripts then there would be no limit, the fact that there is a limit tells us that even Quanta have data to manage not simply a static database of scripts to draw from when an event is triggered.

One thing that Star Citizen does that is not usual practise is to layer simple variables and systems so that the possible numbers of variations become infinite. The DNA tech to create an infinite number of unique looking NPC's for example and also the reputation system. There is no game that has ever been created that has the possibility that you will meet an NPC and know that no other human has ever seen this face before, not even the developers who made the game and now that you have met him/her, every other player will now see that face - only on that NPC. This means they can do things that no other game does like have NPC's that live, grow old and die and you'll never see them again. When a player or NPC kills an NPC that NPC is gone, it will not respawn AND the record of that kill stays on the NPC's or players historical record which is a part of the reputation system. You may encounter NPC's who were once friends to other players but now have moved on. NPC's can be dynamic, the player interaction with the NPC can change the goals, skill levels and personality of that NPC.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just eye rolling levels of fantasy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

That's an even more impressive misspelling than the typical "wallah" I see. It's like he just gave up on spelling it correctly from the very first letter. :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just eye rolling levels of fantasy

:hmmyes:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The sad thing about the power fantasies of these desperate nerds is that I will never be able to sign up as a lowly deckhand on their ships only to gently caress a bunch of poo poo up and get fired.

Because the game will never be made.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 16, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

a new study bible! posted:

The sad thing about the power fantasies of these desperate needs is that I will never be able to sign up as a lowly deckhand on their ships only to gently caress a bunch of poo poo up and get fired.

Because the game will never be made.

you can do that in barotrauma today!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
People say that you'd never get volunteers for being Sanitary Unit Scrubber #9 on the SS Phallus Impudicus or whatever, but I think that isn't true.

If this game ever actually existed, the greatest joy would be signing up to crew a ship with a bunch of your friends and then seeing how long it took to give the captain a stress aneurysm.

Such grand dreams of stealing people's dreams, stolen in turn by the inability / unwillingness of the developers to actually make a game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't this already Space Station 13

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Atopian posted:

People say that you'd never get volunteers for being Sanitary Unit Scrubber #9 on the SS Phallus Impudicus or whatever, but I think that isn't true.

If this game ever actually existed, the greatest joy would be signing up to crew a ship with a bunch of your friends and then seeing how long it took to give the captain a stress aneurysm.

Such grand dreams of stealing people's dreams, stolen in turn by the inability / unwillingness of the developers to actually make a game.

>press A to go and clean the nozzles on the soup dispenser on level 155
>press D to blow it off and go get well and truly hammered with your mate Petersen

hell, I could see myself enjoying Dave Lister Simulator 2k20 :v:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you need to have an imagination for that

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Body Collecting Jobs posted:

I'll start by saying the pictures used aren't actual dead bodies in plastic. They're in fact Halloween props.

In some of the personal job listings, you're contracted to take bodies from planetside locations, bring them off-world and leave them floating in space. But these bodies come in the form of boxed up remains which you can hear sloshing around inside the box iirc.

Now.

Instead of boxes, how about presenting bodies more realistically? Rather than picking up boxes and carrying them like you would any other box, why not add some personality to these types of contracts by having the player have to heave up a heavy body with the body itself flopping over the player's shoulder and producing a small hit to the player's agility for the duration they carry the body?

The set of animations that this could use could even be used for carrying a live/unconscious player or NPC in the same manner in or out of combat instead of relying on the current, and rather slow method, of dragging a body by their collar. Yes, you can have your weapon out, but you can't turn around quickly to look what's around you.

That would be a nice option too; Either drag a body with the pro being you have a weapon out but the con is your spatial awareness takes a hit. Or carrying a body on your shoulder with the pros and cons being reversed.

I tried posting a similar Halloween prop for reference but it wouldn't let me for whatever reason. It was in white plastic instead of black. For variety.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
You should be able to hide a corpse in your luggage - if you chop it up first. That way you can sneak the body out of the space hotel without getting a hit to your reputation.

edit: I'd also be ok with dissolving them in a bathtub if that's easier for the devs to implement.

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 16, 2020

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

SS13 is a lot of fun, but everyone already knows what's going to happen.
In Hypothetical Future Functioning Star Citizen, you'd be working for someone who spent thousands of dollars in their earnest bid to Be The Big Captain. Greatly enhances the flavour of the suffering.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Atopian posted:

SS13 is a lot of fun, but everyone already knows what's going to happen.
In Hypothetical Future Functioning Star Citizen, you'd be working for someone who spent thousands of dollars in their earnest bid to Be The Big Captain. Greatly enhances the flavour of the suffering.

I can already imagine the Goon Janitors Union being blacklisted all over the one planet they have in the game... Much like Starfleet Dental, I think I could get on board with a little bit of 'not playing how I want you to play' the game to rile up some of these people.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

auzdark posted:

I can already imagine the Goon Janitors Union being blacklisted all over the one planet they have in the game... Much like Starfleet Dental, I think I could get on board with a little bit of 'not playing how I want you to play' the game to rile up some of these people.

Yeah I wanna gently caress with the public execution face rape jettisoning humans in space makes it not slavery because they're just cargo crowd

E: I do not it sounds horrible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Starfleet Dental pissed off most of the big fancy guilds by being LESS of a dick than they were. The power of spite is certainly something.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DoomLazer posted:

You should be able to hide a corpse in your luggage - if you chop it up first. That way you can sneak the body out of the space hotel without getting a hit to your reputation.

edit: I'd also be ok with dissolving them in a bathtub if that's easier for the devs to implement.

We'll get started on body dissolving physics right away. The bodies will really dissolve and disintegrate, unlike a regular game which would just have the player model disappear. Why even bother with such low fidelity? Dissolving physics should only add another 6 months or so to the dev time. It's worth waiting just so they can try, fail, and end up implementing a broken version of the 'cheat' workaround anyway that only looks a few years out of date.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Starfleet Dental pissed off most of the big fancy guilds by being LESS of a dick than they were. The power of spite is certainly something.

What's the story there? I never played the game but did see the avatars and such. Is it like eve where basically "goons are super organized and play the game the wrong way" or was it something else?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Other guilds were selling their fancy star base stuff, starbase dental gave it away for free

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:psyduck: What the gently caress is wrong with these people?!

I can't put my finger on what type of people these are. They're so bizarre. I'm trying to categorize them in my brain but I just don't think that's going to happen.

They're deviants.

sebmojo posted:

Other guilds were selling their fancy star base stuff, starbase dental gave it away for free

That's hilarious.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:staredog:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what if 120 days in space sodom?????????????????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, or more specifically access to fancy high-end starbase facilities with vendors and crafting stations; the major guilds would require large informal payments of game currency (one of the like half dozen probably) just to hang around and shop, while goons built their own starbase with dabo and hookers and just invited whoever to hang out, which iirc basically killed at least one guild that was relying on that racket. (because in typical mmo drama fashion they're all catty bitches who hate each other but need to impress each other by having the biggest number)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Not using the bit system. Kills information bottlenecks? posted:

A bit looks like this
True
/
\
False.

What if we used something like this: *

\|/
-x-
/|\

An octa system. Software wise.
Would it pay back on the information flow?
Or can we only use bitcode cause hardware only uses bits?

Would coding bits into octa's speed up things?

quote:

Cause 3 bits can now mean 8 things instead of 6.

:grinning:

quote:

Yes. And you just told me that 3 bits can be made into octa blocks.
So we tell code to use octa blocks (having 8 different values) instead of looking at every different bit seperately.

*I know Bytes are 8 bits. But Bytes are irrelevant here. Not talking about Bytes. Bytes are not a mathmatecal thing here. Octa's are.

quote:

The thought of using different wave freq in glass viber to send different kind of bits had occured to me. I did not know we already did that.

I know a starformed physical bit does not exist.(at least not in civillian pc's) That's why I was wondering if we could fool software with math into sending more info in the same dataflow.

Trying to help here.... Sorry for caring.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is this the stupidest thing ever written in human history, I wonder.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Trying to help here.... Sorry for caring.

:(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shave and a haircut two octas

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its cool that theres a star citizen parrot unironically shouting "pieces of eight! pieces of eight!"

and also the whole point of an octa is that it would only take a quarter of an octa to get you a shave and a haircut

or 2 bits, sooo, ironically,

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

It is not a "cool" word, and nobody would name themselves "Messers". Especially since another meaning of messer is "someone who measures things".

Though perhaps they actually measure things. Heads perhaps, with calipers. Commander Measurehead, of the Messers. It all makes sense now.

(Wat)

They always do poo poo like this. There's a disproportionately large German fanbase for Star Citizen so there's a lot of stuff that comes off feeling very Nazi-like. I remember one guy posting "naysayers RAUS" and all I was just thinking oh yeah this guy is definitely NOT a weird nazi

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What the gently caress is going on in those posts? Are the commandos trying to reinvent computing to help CIG fix their tech demo? It's kinda adorable actually if that's the case

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_o_O7v1ews

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea it wont be croberts fault that modern computing just wasnt up to snuff

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A visionary, far beyond his time. Like years and years beyond schedule

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
LET'S FOOL THE SOFTWARE WITH MATH i holler while fistfucking the instrument panel on my tesla roadhead, accellerating so swiftly my front wheels lift off the earth and flip the entire car upside down, compressing me with a sound effect like an elevator falling on an accordion orgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So I re-installed this game having not touched it for a couple years and it seems like it runs worse than before? I sort of remember there being a basic one or two places-to-visit mockup of a game that was pretty but lacking content. Now it seems like a full solar system but runs like poo poo.