Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also is Costco prepping for something to happen at the election? Just about every aisle was filled with pallets of bottled water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
That hover UFO is garbage, if it so much as touches a wall it flips over and dies

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Costco Business Center just opened up near me.

My weekend plans are set.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My wife has a business account through her job, but we've never been. What's the main difference between the two?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
FYI you don’t need a business account to go to a business center, just a normal membership.

It’s a business focused version of a Costco, like instead of normal TP they’ll have the big institutional rolls for the dispensers, they have a bunch of restaurant supply stuff and so on. They have food and stuff as well but the portions make regular Costco portions look tiny, like here’s a 30 pound cut of meat or whatever.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jows posted:

My wife has a business account through her job, but we've never been. What's the main difference between the two?
You can shop at a business center with a typical membership. The difference is a Business Account allows for "resale" so it's tax-free.

That said Business Centers themselves are a lot more bulk stuff and more towards like small businesses, restaurants, caters, event people, bodegas, etc. They won't have consumer goods like flannel shirts or sherpas, pharmacy, optical center, bakery, and individual stuff like that. but they will have way more bulk pallets of various goods like beans, tin foil, toiletries, bulk snack boxes, wider selection of cheeses and other appetizer-like stuff, bigger and wide variety of bulk meat selection, and usually bigger quantity of beverages and such. It also has a significantly less "organic" things that you find in small quantities at Costco. You'll find more chef-equipment, racks, commercial-geared cookware, etc.

and food court lines are shorter

personally it's interesting to go to, and actually a lot cheaper than normal Costco for a lot of things and in bigger quantity, and carries a lot of things that normal Costcos don't, but your average goonsumer will probably not have much reason to go often at all unless they're really in the market for that type of stuff

this should give you an idea: https://costcoconnoisseur.blogspot.com/2015/08/have-you-been-to-costco-business-center.html?m=1

I should add Business Centers remind me more of what Price Club/Costco was back in the early 90s, for better or worse. some better savings for sure, but also they've really refined the "Costco Experience" over the past couple decades tailoring to a consumer with small quantities of organic peanut butter, smaller bags of onions, less stuff like big trash cans, smaller differently wrapped candy options (instead of those big boxes that you would see at a bodega with the edge cut off), etc etc.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 16, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'll have to check out the business center. The section on buying kitchen equipment looks like it'll have a lot of the things I've been putting off buying until I found good prices.

I have a single commercial grade saucepan that has worked phenomenally for years. It's deeper then most regular ones, has sloping edges, and comes with a significantly longer handle that comes off at a higher angle to avoid it getting hot. I would definitely buy a equipment set of that quality for home use because it'll probably last forever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That hover UFO is garbage, if it so much as touches a wall it flips over and dies

Was just about to ask about that, so good to know thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm more interested in seeing their soda selection and if they sell 15lb bags of Sour Patch Kids

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poo poo I picked one up for my kid for his birthday.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lesson learned, if you see something cool you better buy it because it probably won't be there next time.

Was hoping to snag that Harry Potter train, 5 days later they were gone.

Also I didn't see any of the baby yoda pillows or hot cocoa bombs, but still managed to drop $200 on a beer advent calendar and a bunch of unhealthy food

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shredder posted:

Also I didn't see any of the baby yoda pillows

I picked one of those up for my nephew last week, you could say he approves.

https://i.imgur.com/UCoHaHs.mp4

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

The kid I got one for still loved hers even though it fell apart in a week. When I gave it to her I told her I wanted to see how long she could keep it going cause you can tell they're pretty disposable.

Just don't immediately fly it into a ceiling fan like I did with one. There was UFO everywhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I picked one of those up for my nephew last week, you could say he approves.

https://i.imgur.com/UCoHaHs.mp4

nice color coordination there. really committing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They have a cool set of 20 metal die cast painted Harry Potter figurines for $10 I picked up for my kids. They look great and the kids love them, and I am not looking forward to stepping on a Dobby-shaped caltrop in bare feet at night.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last week I went to church to exchange my seasonal tires. Living in a state with "snow season" it's a critical part of one's vehicle maintenance and timing is kind of everything. Last year I missed the scheduling boat unless I wanted to wait until after Christmas (I did not) and had my dealer do it. Hey it's tires, why is it such a big deal? The dealer did a fine job putting the snows on, and putting the non-snows on in May. But on the way to church last Friday, it was on of our first cold mornings of the season and my low tire pressure light came on. Sure it's easy to explain that it's part of what happens to air when it gets cold, but it's never happened with my Costco exchanges. Maybe it's their experience, maybe it's the use of nitrogen, but whatever the reason I'll stick with Costco.

I made the appointment last Monday. I was looking for Fridays beyond last week, but every single one that I could see was filled. But last Friday, while early, had some openings so I took advantage of it. When I checked in, the tire guy said he came in on Wednesday after a couple of day break, and the seasonal tire exchange schedule was out until early November!

While waiting, I went to church. In addition to a bunch of food and non-perishable stuff for the fall/winter (I'm irrationally expecting shortages due to covid), I picked up something for myself: A s'mores snack that's basically Golden Grahams and marshmallows covered in chocolate.

loving hell if I didn't manage to eat that entire bag last week.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The only good summer sausage is by Mennonites and you don't have to refrigerate even after it's cut. The bit that dries and forms a crust is a delicacy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Walrus posted:

The only good summer sausage is by Mennonites and you don't have to refrigerate even after it's cut. The bit that dries and forms a crust is a delicacy.

:yeah:

i also like to get apple butter from them but store ones are fine for both

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

And venison summer sausage from a deer that your friend's dad shot. :colbert:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
They put in self-checkout lanes at my local Costco, but they’re still manned by a cashier who has to stand elbow-to-elbow with the customer while they scan the items, with no barrier or mandatory mask policy. :psyboom:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just went today and saw self-checkouts too, I had a massive full cart so didn't use it though :haw: Looked to be fairly well social distanced.

Picked up the kirkland 5ply pots and pans set to replace my old anodized aluminum nonsticks that are starting to have that nonstick poo poo come off. It will be nice to be able to stick the pots in the dishwasher if I'm feeling real lazy!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

priznat posted:

I just went today and saw self-checkouts too, I had a massive full cart so didn't use it though :haw: Looked to be fairly well social distanced.

Picked up the kirkland 5ply pots and pans set to replace my old anodized aluminum nonsticks that are starting to have that nonstick poo poo come off. It will be nice to be able to stick the pots in the dishwasher if I'm feeling real lazy!
fyi just go up to them if they're empty anyways

there was like 3-5carts deep in all the regular checkout lanes but no one in the self-checkout, so we went up to the self-checkout and the attendant just handheld scanned all our stuff and off we went faster than a regular checkout.

might be less applicable if there's also a line for self-checkout

bonus if you use self-checkout, they apparently dont check your receipt at the door because the attendant will have ticked it. its in a different color

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Are the Sherpa throws everyone raves about the Eddie Bauer ones?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 17, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bioshuffle posted:

Are the Sherpa throws everyone raves about the Eddie Bauer ones?

Yep, that's the one I bought

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep, that's the one I bought

Ah, I was under the impression they were a Costco exclusive. Looks like Home Depot has a selection too. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Home-Decor-Throw-Blankets/Eddie-Bauer/N-5yc1vZcfaeZnsy

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Pendleton queen blankets are huge and I think I like them better then the sherps. My dog does for sure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Visited church for the first time in a while and got a whole bunch of cheap rear end trout, hell yeah. Grillin those bastards tomorrow.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

FogHelmut posted:

hell he might love it, but its useless at least inside the house due to the way it zips off and crashes almost immediately every time its chucked into the air to start up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I also picked up the pretzel/salted caramel/dark chocolate "snappers" while I was lining up for the checkouts and drat this will take some impulse control to not inhale it all as quickly as possible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Costco Business center is not as impressive as I expected. It's mostly just like Costco without all the clothes/books/toys in the middle and the space filled in with bottled/canned drinks. There was quite a bit of restaurant equipment but not like what I expected.

They didn't have any saucepans or stock pots when I looked. Found a great 12 in skillet for $15 that feels like the entire thing is one solid piece of steel.

For produce it was still mostly the same. The major exceptions would be typical bulk purchase vegetables, like onions, mushrooms, tomatoes. All the fruits, avocados, salads etc. were still the same size sold as at regular costco.

The frozen stuff was the same, only where you have the normal few lbs of some frozen item next to it would be cases of 20+ lbs of the same. Also had a huge variety of 50 lb rice bags, everything from calrose to multiple different varieties of long grain and basmati rice.

Way less variety in general, nothing for a shopping trip for buying food for the week/month that you couldn't already get at regular costco. If you had a chest deep freezer and wanted to stock up all at one you could save a bit of time and money but otherwise there's no point.

The one I went to didn't even have a food court.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 17, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

vote quimby

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 17, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

GI_Clutch posted:

The machine at my local store has been on every time I went. An elderly man was playing when I went last night. I'm so tempted to buy one, but I figure if I really want to play some of those games, I could just buy a Namco collection for a fraction of the price and it wouldn't take up so much room. But it's always so tempting.

Every time I see one of those arcade games I think how much more useful it would be if it was just an arcade system that with USB for the controller and an HDMI port for a RaspPi or SFF PC and run MAME and other emulators. I'd assumed those existing, but I didn't see anything on Amazon, surprisingly.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Every time I see one of those arcade games I think how much more useful it would be if it was just an arcade system that with USB for the controller and an HDMI port for a RaspPi or SFF PC and run MAME and other emulators. I'd assumed those existing, but I didn't see anything on Amazon, surprisingly.

Pretty sure there are companies making such things (I think I had an ad for one pop up on my facebook feed), where it emulated multiple arcade cabinets and systems, but they're pretty pricey.

I like the idea of having one, but I know I would just go back to playing my current gen stuff. Not gonna lie though, if money was no object I'd have one already (and the sit down Star Wars cabinet https://www.vintagearcade.net/shop/arcade-games/star-wars-sit-down-arcade-game/).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

They have bare cabinets at MicroCenter. Bring your own joystick, monitor and Pi.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/611668/micro-center-3-4-size-arcade-cabinet-27---unassembled

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I watched this last night, never even knew it existed.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70051671

Was pretty meh. I'm guessing they used 40% of the film's budget on Jessica Simpson.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SirPablo posted:

I watched this last night, never even knew it existed.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70051671

Was pretty meh. I'm guessing they used 40% of the film's budget on Jessica Simpson.

There's a better movie that features Costco as an important setting and plot point, King of California.
Whole thing is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7yHDzCVXQ

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Best Costco movie right here.

https://youtu.be/Z8zNsUTWsOc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
November Dealz Flier:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9479951&d=1602962043

Or if that doesn't work: https://slickdeals.net/f/14447234-costco-november-2020-coupon-book-oct-28-nov-22?src=jfy%7Crecombee%7C7b10accb08b3a14d2a53e57b1e984a67

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hello