Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

freeasinbeer posted:

The Midwest, of which Pittsburgh is a part, is bad.

I live in Minneapolis it owns

and my home cost 170k lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hoshi posted:

Iowa

eta: it's boring and bad

At least in Nebraska we have the common decency to let you go 75 on the interstate so you can get out quicker. Iowa finally raised theirs from 65 to 70 a few years back, and it's still too drat slow.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pittsburgh is a really nice city, compact enough that you can bike or bus everywhere and thrive without owning a car, and you can buy a nice 3br house for 200k. It allowed me to be extremely good with money for a very long time. Suck it haters.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Enos Cabell posted:

At least in Nebraska we have the common decency to let you go 75 on the interstate so you can get out quicker. Iowa finally raised theirs from 65 to 70 a few years back, and it's still too drat slow.

It's only 70 between Des Moines and Iowa City!!!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

alnilam posted:

Pittsburgh is a really nice city, compact enough that you can bike or bus everywhere and thrive without owning a car, and you can buy a nice 3br house for 200k. It allowed me to be extremely good with money for a very long time. Suck it haters.

Yeah pittsburgh is cool. I've only visited but it was nice

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pittsburgh is legit underrated which is actually great because it means things aren't super expensive and lovely (yet).

With that said the second you get like five minutes outside the city it's basically the deep south.

Pennsylvania is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Both Des Moines and Indianapolis can suck my dick though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ranbo das posted:

We refer to that area as Pennsyltucky.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

We refer to that area as Pennsyltucky.

I've driven through both Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Kentucky is much prettier a drive than PA

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I've driven through both Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Kentucky is much prettier a drive than PA

Both are beautiful. But you need to be far off the turnpike/I-80 to see most of it in PA.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

Both are beautiful. But you need to be far off the turnpike/I-80 to see most of it in PA.

You aren't going to fool me, I've seen Deliverance.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Here's some relationships bad with money:

quote:

My bf and I have been living together for 6 years. For the first 3, his dad was paying for his living expenses while he was going to college, but used the money to make my bf feel bad and sabotaged him about it (told him he was useless, wasn't getting anywhere, needed him etc.). I have been paying for myself with part time jobs and student loans while I've been doing undergrad/grad.

3 years ago, my bf decided he no longer wanted the financial support (and emotional burden) of his father's support and also decided he no longer wanted to pursue college. He decided school wasn't for him. He instead decided to pursue a consulting business and started taking a 6-week course. When he decided to be free from his dad, I had just received a new line of credit for school and told my bf that I could support him for the first few months with it while he found a part time job to keep him afloat while building his business.

Approximately 3 months after I started paying for our living expenses, my bf started to be annoyed by the job application process and jobs in general. When he made some money from selling a piece of furniture in our house or something, I would ask if he could pay me back for groceries for last week with it (this and something similar happened multiple times). Each time, my bf got angry and said that I was trying to control him and take all of his money.

At one point, about 6 months in, he decided that he didn't want to look for jobs and was going to focus solely on his business. I told him that I needed him to do a job part time at the same time because I couldn't pay for everything on my own. At that point, and up until now, he has told me that because I said that, I don't believe in him and I don't support him.

So, I have recently taken on about $15,000 more in debt to pay for our shared living expenses (now $45k total since I started paying for him) and I do not say anything about him getting a job or making money from his business. (TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER) It only leads to him getting extremely angry and saying things like "I don't support him, I treat him like poo poo, and I don't believe in him." I told him that for this semester of school, I would take on another loan while he is trying to build his business.

This whole time he has had an off and on again addiction to gaming. For example, in August he put his gaming PC away and began focusing on his business again. One month later, he took it back out and has been gaming every day since and his business is yet to be built and profitable. I continue to pay for everything.

Every time I try to bring up that I am struggling or I don't want to keep paying for everything, my bf gets angry and I feel like the conversation gets nowhere. He says that he wants to make money, he wants to make thousands by the end of the year. And I know that's true. But he struggles with depression and his gaming addiction and he blames me for the fact he's unsuccessful. He says that our fights and relationship is what has kept him from getting his business running. But he doesn't want to break up - he wants to work through it.

Here are the options I have come up with, but I'm not sure about them. I continue paying for everything (which is stressful when every month we are taking on debt, all the debt is in my name, and there is no time soon I can see where this changes, this stress is taking a lot from me emotionally which makes it hard to focus on my grad school), I learn to love being a provider and somehow learn to make enough money where I can pay for everything without going into debt AND doing things I like because we actually have enough money for me to buy a new outfit, or I somehow ask him nicely to move out and start covering his own expenses because I believe that he needs to learn to be independent. Not necesarrily break up, but change the nature of our relationship.

How do I go through any of these conversations or are there other options? I know many might say break up but I am really wondering if others can see a perspective for how we can talk about this or how I can go about this without breaking up.

TL;DR : I have taken on $45k in debt while paying for my bf and I's living expenses while he struggles with gaming addiction/depression and fighting with me that have kept him from successfully having a business, and he doesn't want a job. What do I do?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

You aren't going to fool me, I've seen Deliverance.

You Av's got an awful purty mouth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Saw this on the hideously bad with money dude I posted about’s Facebook page:

He wants to buy ANOTHER vehicle despite being incredibly underwater on the one he has now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cubivore posted:

TL;DR : I have taken on $45k in debt while paying for my bf and I's living expenses while he struggles with gaming addiction/depression and fighting with me that have kept him from successfully having a business, and he doesn't want a job. What do I do?

Man that's just depressing :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Pittsburgh sucks, but is 100% the nicest city in West Virginia.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ranbo das posted:

Pittsburgh is legit underrated which is actually great because it means things aren't super expensive and lovely (yet).

With that said the second you get like five minutes outside the city it's basically the deep south.

Mostly agreed, although it's more akin to rural Maryland/West Virginia than the deep south. Btw: man does Maryland have some "interesting" parts in the western part of the state.

Iron Crowned posted:

If you only stick to I76/70, sure, although the Poconos have some really nice driving roads. Kentucky also has many more cars abandoned on the side of the highway, if you're in to that.

alnilam posted:

All you pixburgh haters are in big trouble

:agreed:

MrLogan posted:

:fuckoff:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pittsburgh is cool, I have weighed in now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All I know about Pittsburgh are sports related things:
1) Canada’s premier hockey playing robot lives there
2) its NFL QB is pretty drat sketchy
3) the baseball stadium is gorgeous and I would go to it even though I don’t care about baseball.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
'Burghers Watchin' Myron: Yinz are a buncha jag-offs bout money

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

'Burghers Watchin' Myron: Yinz are a buncha jag-offs bout money

:hellyeah:

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

cubivore posted:

If you were ever going to juggle a gaming addiction and working, there’s probably never been a greater time than during this shut down.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DJCobol posted:

Indiana has billboards for adult stores and fireworks, and abandoned outlet malls.
That's the entire midwest outside of the few major cities & their suburbs. Sprinkle in some farmland alternating with patches of forest and that's the midwest highway driving experience. Oh, and anti-abortion billboards. Can't forget those.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Some parts of the midwest don’t have fireworks stores so you have billboards advertising stores from just across whatever state line you have the cross to find them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Haifisch posted:

That's the entire midwest outside of the few major cities & their suburbs. Sprinkle in some farmland alternating with patches of forest and that's the midwest highway driving experience. Oh, and anti-abortion billboards. Can't forget those.
Having driven from DC to Minnesota many times, it's mostly just corn. You cross the KY/IN border and then drive through corn for the next 12-20 hours.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

MrLogan posted:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Another spin on BWM:

My husband earned less than me for a decade, so I paid more towards our expenses. I want him to repay me

quote:

Dear Moneyist,

My husband and I have been married for 19 years. During the first decade, our income was comparable, and we contributed equally to our expenses with not much put aside for a rainy day. In 2012, I started earning two-thirds more than my husband. We decided to share expenses according to our incomes. So he pays one-third and I pay two-thirds.

My husband’s pay has increased considerably since then, although he still earns less than me. I told him to pick up the slack and pay more until my extra share is paid off because I know he can afford it now. I have built three houses, all paid off, and stashed money for our children’s 529 plans.

He gives me a fixed sum towards the expenses, saves the rest of his money, and expects me to pay all the other expenses. He was in the military, so the kids can use his GI Bill toward their education, but that does not amount to much compared to my contributions.

I have not even added any interest, just the initial outlay. This has become a major issue in our marriage. Otherwise, we are happily married. Am I unreasonable for asking him to pick up the tab, and put his savings towards paying me off the extra money I contributed towards our lifestyle?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Some parts of the midwest don’t have fireworks stores so you have billboards advertising stores from just across whatever state line you have the cross to find them.

I wish Michigan could go back to that. I have fond childhood memories of making the drive to 2 miles past the Indiana state line to load up on fireworks that we'd then set off at the end of our driveway on the 4th (and only the 4th) with the whole neighborhood in attendance. Now it's legal here and everyone everywhere thinks it's cool to blow poo poo up every single night for weeks on end.

:argh:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

crazypeltast52 posted:

Like driving on I90 in South Dakota all you'll see is WALL DRUG

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of the wife making more, I worked at a military electronics contractor back in the 90s and one of the principal engineers had a wife who was a corporate lawyer who earned a LOT more than him (like 3-4x plus) and he was a senior guy already and making probably close to 200k. He joked he just made the “fun money” for them to take trips and buy toys with.

Every single other guy (and it was all guys, because engineering) were like drat, that would be the poo poo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

priznat posted:

Speaking of the wife making more, I worked at a military electronics contractor back in the 90s and one of the principal engineers had a wife who was a corporate lawyer who earned a LOT more than him (like 3-4x plus) and he was a senior guy already and making probably close to 200k. He joked he just made the “fun money” for them to take trips and buy toys with.

Every single other guy (and it was all guys, because engineering) were like drat, that would be the poo poo.

My friends wife makes more than him, or at least did for a while, and they both make a lot of money. He has a story of how someone he used to work with questioned why it didn't bother him that he wasn't the "bread winner" in the family, and he just responded "I'd be a stay at home husband if she'd let me"

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

No interest lol. How generous of her.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:bitcoin:

I lost 40k in binance trades in the matter of 6 weeks

quote:

I’m pretty young, age 26, and I have spent this whole year working overtime and missing out of a lot in my life just save up money. I ended up with around 40k. This whole time I was investing my money into a crytocurrency which has been quite stable for some time. I ended up making a stupid mistake one day when I sent my funds from my cold wallet to binance. I figured I could make a quick buck, and I did in a matter of 2 days I had made 5k profit. I sent funds back and I should have left it at that. But stupid me I attempted to try again. Well bad trades started happening and I kept thinking I could make it back. Slowly but surely I get down to my last 10k. I ended up making a very bold move and sent it all to my futures account. Two days later bitcoin takes a big dip and I am almost liquidated. I’m currently sitting at 1k. I want to freaking die. It’s a hard pill to swallow and I know I did it to myself. I could’ve really done a lot with that money but I threw it all away. I’m sick and embarrassed. Idk what to do please help

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

This has to be MRA bait. My wife runs laps around me pay wise, but we're still all contributing to the same eventual retirement, house note, etc. It does sound like this almost certainly fictitious couple has separate savings accounts though, which could get a little awkward.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Married couples with separate finances still baffle me.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Chin Strap posted:

We have separate accounts but we track them all in ynab together and treat it all as our money not my money vs your money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

acidx posted:

No interest lol. How generous of her.

My dad told me a funny story last year about how when he was starting college he needed a car. Grandpa told him he didn't want to spend a lot of time helping to fix a beater so he would loan my dad the money to buy a new car. Grandpa then charged him 6% interest on the loan.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chin Strap posted:

When your parents divorce because dad is spending all the money on drugs and candles or you see your dad kick your stay at home mom with $0 to her name out to replace her with the mistress you feel the need to have something set aside that's strictly yours.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife's ex-husband had sole control of their finances, and did awesome stuff like remortgage their home to buy a Porsche 911, which she only learned about when she found it parked in their garage. It was several years after we were married before she was comfortable enough to open a joint account for household expenses and savings. We still maintain separate accounts for any income past our household contributions, works pretty well for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

We transitioned from couple living apart to couple living together to married living together, so a lot of our financial situation is holdovers from earlier patterns in that relationship. Larger and larger % of our assets are going to joint control, but the starting point for us was separate finances.