Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mallory let her grandkids die to radicalise Serge, Ryan is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Mallory let her grandkids die to radicalise Serge, Ryan is hosed

That's certainly a take

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The showrunner literally confirmed she's not dead and is coming back for next season, so we don't actually need to theorize about any of this.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Even if Stormfront only does have a couple cursory appearances next season, the other reason Aya Cash might want to do those press junkets is to maintain a good working relationship with Amazon and the showrunner(s). If this wanted intended to be a short run for her, delivering a solid performance (she did) in this role and then doing all the follow on press to keep the show's popularity up is a great way to get her next role(s).

Right. It's common practice for all actors to do that for press junkets regardless of what happened to the character they were playing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Becca’s throat is just punctured by stormfront’s thumb as she reacts to getting torched Scott summer style, Ryan didn’t kill his mom.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Becca’s throat is just punctured by stormfront’s thumb as she reacts to getting torched Scott summer style, Ryan didn’t kill his mom.

Yeah, I assumed her throat got ripped out as stormfront got blasted away since Becca didn't look singed at all

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Cash comes back next season it may be in flashbacks since they're supposed to be diving into some supe history per Kripke's last interview.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Where did Kripke say that Stormfront is coming back for season 3? All I can find is an interview where he states that she isn't dead and they thought it was more poetic to just leave her in that state instead of outright killing her off. He and Aya Cash mentioned it leaves the door open for her to make an appearance again in the future, but I don't see her coming back as a major character. I don't really want her to anyway. Cash was great, but I thought it was a good end for that character and I don't really want to see more outside of some quick appearance.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wizardofloneliness posted:

Where did Kripke say that Stormfront is coming back for season 3?

He hasn't afaik. I think people are just confused at Cash doing normal post season press.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“If she wasn’t coming back she wouldn’t be excited to talk about the show!”

As if actors can’t be happy about something they did, or at least act like it. What with being actors and all.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I dont think being raised by the CIA is going to make you well-adjusted, even if the mother figure is sympathetic. He's going to have a strange view of America even if he doesnt get funneled into wetworks.

He's going to be Pete Buttigieg with super powers

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

This would be one of the funniest possible outcomes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Season 3 cold open: Vought is pleased to announce our newest, totally original superhero, Formstunt!

*Aya Cash walks out wearing a huge fake moustache*

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I mentioned this before, but if you like Cash you should check out this indie comedy-horror film that just came out that she stars in.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Just speculation, but spoiler tagging it just in case. I'm wondering if Stormfront will be "back" in flashback scenes with Soldier Boy, from the ww2 era. Or if they will take the comic route and have a new Soldier Boy taking up the mantle. I'm still hoping that they do that ambiguously with Black Noir instead.

Either way I trust the writers know what they're doing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She literally says that she is excited to be working with Jensen Ackles, so either they straight up made her lie in the post season press stuff or she is still a cast member

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, we're going to get the Adventures of Liberty and Friends.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
They'll bring her back as Tek-Knight without explicitly saying that it's her, and even though it should be glaringly obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together as soon as they start saying racist things and using lightning powers, plenty of idiots online will still be shocked, *shocked* when they finally take off the helmet 2/3 of the way through the season and it's a scarred-up Storefront.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

Just speculation, but spoiler tagging it just in case. I'm wondering if Stormfront will be "back" in flashback scenes with Soldier Boy, from the ww2 era. Or if they will take the comic route and have a new Soldier Boy taking up the mantle. I'm still hoping that they do that ambiguously with Black Noir instead.

Everything I saw in an article on the Kripke interview suggested It would probably be flashback sequences with Soldier Boy explaining their history and, by extension, the tale of America's fascist undercurrent

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1230338392820502528?s=20

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I assume the entirety of the Black Noir comic plot is out of the picture; Homelander is confident that he raped Becca & he's always been a prick instead of blackmail footage having triggered a psychotic break.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

No matter how hard the people raising him try he's going to end up pro-corporation?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine the Noir plot from the comic has been cut because the show is kinda-sorta trying more for the character study than the ~**aWesoMe TwiSt**~

If I were writing it I'd go with Butcher being the only Boy who eventually doeses up on V and beating Homelander to death before needing to be put down himself. That would tick the "the Boys are hopped up on the V" plot point along with Hughie needing to put an end to it all without being a 1 for 1 adaptation and be a much more intimate confrontation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They’ve already written a couple episodes and filming starts in Jan or February

https://twitter.com/theboystv/status/1316422501610577920?s=21

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked the twist, because Ennis is pretty good at foreshadowing, but twists only work once so I'm glad the show has gone for a more durable development for him.

Seeing as the show has gone with "V is actually really dangerous when injected into adults, most get screwed up" I wouldnt be surprised if none of the Boys get their injection.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But if V'ed-up Butcher needs quickly to be euthanized himself before he burns it all down you don't need to worry about long-term effects.

edit: also the other boys don't need to die because they're not dosed. That's a happy ending in a sea of sht I think the show runners might prefer to the total desruction of the comic.

Rando fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 16, 2020

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rando posted:

edit: also the other boys don't need to die because they're not dosed. That's a happy ending in a sea of sht I think the show runners might prefer to total desruction.

Well, Butcher doesn't kill the boys personally because of the V, but rather because Hughie got the team back together to stop his genocide plot. He says as much in their final confrontation, that he was hoping they'd all quietly die when the tainted V frequency popped their heads.

It's entirely possible for that to still play out as in the comics, but they also seem to be softening Butcher on superhumans with the whole Ryan plot.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did not remember that. I guess I twisted Butcher's general supe hatred with his endgame motivations. Been a minute since I read it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I finished up the run a day or two ago, so it's mostly still fresh in my head. Still holds up well enough, though I'm pretty sure 33-50% of the run is flashbacks and exposition dumps.

One thing that might be understated; for all the stuff that I kind of wish made it to the show, I appreciate how much of Ennis' weird low-key patriotism is toned down.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I mentioned this before, but if you like Cash you should check out this indie comedy-horror film that just came out that she stars in.

Alright I finally have a reason to use my Shudder trial.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

As Nero Danced posted:

Just speculation, but spoiler tagging it just in case. I'm wondering if Stormfront will be "back" in flashback scenes with Soldier Boy, from the ww2 era. Or if they will take the comic route and have a new Soldier Boy taking up the mantle.

The first part of that has already been effectively confirmed. The second part is 50-50.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
edit not a thing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Seeing as the show has gone with "V is actually really dangerous when injected into adults, most get screwed up" I wouldnt be surprised if none of the Boys get their injection.

Sure, but in that case I'd love them go against lower-powered supes next season, because for these two seasons they were just so hopelessly outclassed by Seven (aside from the Deep because he is a moron) and relied on Kimiko or some mcguyver poo poo that wouldnt have worked.

Neurolimal posted:

One thing that might be understated; for all the stuff that I kind of wish made it to the show, I appreciate how much of Ennis' weird low-key patriotism is toned down.

Ennis is not really "patriotic" (his amazing Fury series is like a a short history of CIA loving up everything through latter half of 20th century), he just likes stories about soldiers as people who risk their lives and need to make hard choices - and more than often turn into monsters in process.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Sure, but in that case I'd love them go against lower-powered supes next season, because for these two seasons they were just so hopelessly outclassed by Seven (aside from the Deep because he is a moron) and relied on Kimiko or some mcguyver poo poo that wouldnt have worked.

No arguments there; I feel like they're moving a bit fast through the roster, as if they werent confident they would be renewed for enough seasons to get through the smaller stories. At least the spinoff will handle Godolkin (preferrably in a cleaner way than "well we captured a guy, time for him to exposit everything before Vought mows the entire branch down overnight").

fatherboxx posted:

Ennis is not really "patriotic" (his amazing Fury series is like a a short history of CIA loving up everything through latter half of 20th century), he just likes stories about soldiers as people who risk their lives and need to make hard choices - and more than often turn into monsters in process.

I'm moreso referring to his attitude toward the 9/11 attack & NYC, which is peppered throughout The Boys. Ennis is great at writing terrible people with wrong views convincingly, but enough characters from varying backgrounds, two of which aren't even american, express shock, frustration, and defiance around the attack in a way that's out of step with the cynical reality-check nature of the other real world atrocities inflicted on other nations that are referenced and namedropped throughout the run, which lends credence to the idea that the expression is from Ennis rather than writing in-character.

Which is what I meant by low-key patriotism. Smart enough to know America sucks, but still empathetic enough toward the cause to feel personal towards retaliations. A cynicism that seems to fall short when the introspection hits too close to home.

I dont entirely blame him; The Boys started 5 years after 9/11 and he lives in NYC, but it's a part of the story that isnt necessary beyond "the superheroes hosed up stopping a plane", and I'm glad there isnt several soliloquies about proving the terrorists impotent by rebuilding or paying respect or etc. in the show.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The show is literally saying “we actually make the terrorists and use them for our nationalism” in extremely plain text, thankfully.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

The first part of that has already been effectively confirmed. The second part is 50-50.

There's an article up on Yahoo (which, I'll be honest, I thought was dead and gone) that talks more about that spoilered speculation

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boys-season-three-explore-demented-205300221.html

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bust Rodd posted:

The show is literally saying “we actually make the terrorists and use them for our nationalism” in extremely plain text, thankfully.

it comes off as really goofy and ham fisted as someone who’s painfully aware of us foreign policy but i imagine it’s a pretty effective twist for someone who isn’t infected with political brain worms, and the execution is still pretty pretty good

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
It really is a trip, watching Homelander. He's the first villain in a long time I feel legitimately torn about. Sad, lonely, emotional, and pathetic enough that I wish there were a way to help him... But too much of a psychotic murderer for anyone to ever help him (even if they wanted to).

It's also a trip, watching someone with nothing but contempt for "normal people"… Yet completely dependent on their love, at the same time.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 16, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fionordequester posted:

It's also a trip, watching someone with nothing but contempt for "normal people"… Yet completely dependent on their love, at the same time.

Just realized he's the Old Testament version of God.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sarcastro posted:

Just realized he's the Old Testament version of God.

"The only man in the sky is me"