Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

also Freakazoid gave us Candle Jack, which is a meme that is still someh

And Toby Danger, with his pal Dash O' Pepper.

JUST LEMME THROW A BARREL AT IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm just surprised I was the first one to make a Candle Jack reference in the year of our lo

if nothing else, I'm committed to the bit.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Boxman posted:

Anyway, lets all remember Animaniacs for the Countries of the World skit, where Yakko slips in Tibet, Taiwan, and Palestine

probably a lot of super salty Ukrainians in 1993

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

What were the SoCal reference in freakazoid?

Only SoCal people know you take money on the Gross, never on the Net

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It looks like Disney+ is getting a more legit "yo this movie has racist stuff in it" warning. The article mentions Peter Pan, Dumbo, Lady & the Tramp, and Fantasia.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-plus-dumbo-peter-pan-content-warning-1234806732/

It'll stay onscreen for 10 seconds. I was wondering why Fantasia needs it (since it hasn't had the centaur slave thing since forever) but I guess those Chinese-looking mushroom guys qualify.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I was wondering what Lady and the Tramp had and I almost forgot those stupid Siamese cats.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If that were really legit, they’d put the warning in front of everything: Pocahontas, Mulan Remake, etc.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe one for Hunchback, because there's probably a lot of American kids who still don't know that gypsy is a slur

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That one's in a particularly awkward place because, unlike some of the others, I absolutely do not recall that being identified as a slur or even a potential slur at the time and I don't even really know how or when that shift in perception happened. Someday they'll rename gypsy moths I assume.

I mean it certainly was never a compliment, but because of the literal thing you referred to and negative associations to that literal thing, not because the word itself was considered a poisonous means by which to refer to that thing. Making its use in the movie now very awkward, Because the goal of the movie was to show that the associations shouldn't be negative for the group, I don't feel like they were expecting the controversy to come from the word itself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If that were really legit, they’d put the warning in front of everything: Pocahontas, Mulan Remake, etc.

Pocahontas should come with an onscreen appendix that fact checks all the blatant propaganda.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

YggiDee posted:

Maybe one for Hunchback, because there's probably a lot of American kids who still don't know that gypsy is a slur

They should make a cut of Pacific Rim where every mention of the main robot is overdubbed with a bored guy saying "[Expletitive] Danger".

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's this song in Animaniacs that I saw on youtube where they just absolutely drag Disney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrud9uW_wI

I like it because I like the idea of Disney not being God, and thus it being possible to take shots at it.
What are the odds they do a spiritual sequel that takes the piss out of the live-action remakes?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Oh god, how amazing would it be if they remade that skit but with live action cosplayers and minorly changed lyrics.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/WildCardDistrib/status/1317133200892768256?s=19

I remember enjoying The Secret of Kells, though I never did watch their other movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're animated beautifully with aggressively thin plots.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I remember enjoying The Secret of Kells, though I never did watch their other movie

i enjoyed Song of the Sea so much more, but i should give secret of kells a second watch

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think Song of the Sea is better than Kells as what plot there is is better paced

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I liked Secret of the Kells better, but they're both stunning. Kells is definitely slower and thinner with plot and characterization. I just don't think having more plot and more characterization instantly equals being better.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched the 2001 anime Metropolis movie yesterday for the first time in years. It's an odd film. Tezuka's Disney-esque designs wandering around an 80s anime city, like seeing Pinocchio walk into Akira. Because of how much the movie tries to show, the characters don't get developed much. We know their motivations at least, and maybe that's enough. The real draw of the movie is the visuals and music, and despite some dated cg it still looks incredible. The final explosion combined with "I Can't Stop Loving You" isn't quite earned, because the romance between the two protagonists felt like rather shallow puppy love, but you sort of forget because of how great the animation looks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's this song in Animaniacs that I saw on youtube where they just absolutely drag Disney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrud9uW_wI

I like it because I like the idea of Disney not being God, and thus it being possible to take shots at it.

In an adjacent aside to this, everyone should watch Howard, the docu on Disney+ about Howard Ashman. It's very, very good.

Nihilarian posted:

https://twitter.com/WildCardDistrib/status/1317133200892768256?s=19

:hmmyes: It does look pretty gay.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pick posted:

They're animated beautifully with aggressively thin plots.

I think Breadwinner was really solid in every way. Probably their best work imo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Putting aside the fact that John K belongs in a cell, how was it that every cartoon he directed went over-budget and over-schedule with nothing extra to show for it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's lazy, wasteful and self-indulgent. Same reason as Chris Roberts.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Now I’m seeing if don bluth can make penguins horny

This lead me to rediscover that don bluth had a penguin movie, which in turn lead me to realize that the foreign language animated penguin movie from my childhood that I have been trying to find for years was actually a false memory mixing the intimidatingly large and aggressive leopard seal and killer whales from 'The Pebble and the Penguin' with 'The Adventures of Lolo the Penguin' to create a non-existent movie that is much better than either of those films.

Both feature some surprisingly dark/kind of scary moments with those animals (and several other situations in Lolo's case), getting caught by humans, and befriending a penguin from one of the yellow crested breeds. The less annoying characters and comparatively mature/bleak story of Lolo but with the danger/action scenes animated like the predators from Pebble would have ruled.

Ccs posted:

the romance between the two protagonists felt like rather shallow puppy love

An almost universal problem with romance in anime, possibly a consequence of the other almost universal problem with anime (age of the main characters).

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Putting aside the fact that John K belongs in a cell, how was it that every cartoon he directed went over-budget and over-schedule with nothing extra to show for it?
Read Sick Little Monkeys

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm watching Ralph Breaks the Internet, and I loving hate it. Also, why isn't the name Ralph Wrecks the Internet?

I'm at the Buzzclick part and I want to die.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IUG posted:

I'm watching Ralph Breaks the Internet, and I loving hate it. Also, why isn't the name Ralph Wrecks the Internet?
Don't leave the game! If you leave and die YOU DIE!

Oh Vanellope went into the GtA murder racer game? Cool cool, yeah spread those wings girl.

I hate how it goes against everything set from the first game and also makes Ralp some stunted weirdo

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
The only good part of Wreck It Ralph 2 is the nightmare fuel at the end. Other than that, it's so corporate and groan-worthy. The world basically copies the Emoji Movie, which was already creatively bankrupt.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IUG posted:

I'm at the Buzzclick part and I want to die.

Yeah I couldn’t finish that movie. Probably Disney’s worst since, I dunno, Meet the Robinsons?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IUG posted:

My vague memory is marketing wanted to tie to Kim Kardashian Breaks the Internet because that is the reference and topicality kids crave

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Atari posted:

An almost universal problem with romance in anime, possibly a consequence of the other almost universal problem with anime (age of the main characters).

More the problem there is it's all written by and increasingly for weird nerds who have no concept of what a healthy or realistic relationship looks like, but to be fair, it's not like most of Japan seems to either. Or the rest of the world, for that matter.

And the scary part is a lot of young people grow up believing that's genuinely how relationships work, and it's a non-trivial factor in how you get incels.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More the problem there is it's all written by and increasingly for weird nerds who have no concept of what a healthy or realistic relationship looks like, but to be fair, it's not like most of Japan seems to either. Or the rest of the world, for that matter.

And the scary part is a lot of young people grow up believing that's genuinely how relationships work, and it's a non-trivial factor in how you get incels.

I dunno, there are a lot of pretty affecting love stories in anime. Tatami Galaxy, Summer Wars, Toradora, to name a few. The main issue in Metropolis is the characters are so young and basically only know each other for a super short amount of time and don't get developed much because of the amount of other stuff going on in the film. Combine that with the fact that Tima is mostly a blank slate of a character, and the only reason why the protagonist likes her is because she's cute.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

I rewatched the 2001 anime Metropolis movie yesterday for the first time in years. It's an odd film. Tezuka's Disney-esque designs wandering around an 80s anime city, like seeing Pinocchio walk into Akira. Because of how much the movie tries to show, the characters don't get developed much. We know their motivations at least, and maybe that's enough. The real draw of the movie is the visuals and music, and despite some dated cg it still looks incredible. The final explosion combined with "I Can't Stop Loving You" isn't quite earned, because the romance between the two protagonists felt like rather shallow puppy love, but you sort of forget because of how great the animation looks.

I would hesitate to call it romance, but it works because of its simplicity. Tima's "father" is trying to game her as a kind of false messiah, her "brother," is jealous because he thinks the empire should be his. Kenichi, being a kid, takes her at face value and easily becomes her friend, like he also does with the big silly robot. Like everyone else in the movie is trying to either build or destroy a social machine, but both sides are blind to how the machine is functioning, to their detriment or to their benefit. The kids just accept it, they're already living there.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ccs posted:

Yeah I couldn’t finish that movie. Probably Disney’s worst since, I dunno, Meet the Robinsons?

Gotta say, there's a lot of Meet the Robinsons hate in this thread, and I won't stand for it. It's cute! It's a fun movie! It's very briefly got Tom Selleck!

Ralph Breaks the Internet is loving awful though. It's honestly kind of impressive how bad it is in so many different ways - as a poorly thought-out sequel to a really good movie, as a lame Emoji Movie ripoff that's super desperate to be relevant, and as a blatant Disney self-suck where you get to celebrate how awesome it is that one company owns everything you enjoy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't get it either, meet the robinsons is good and wrecks the Internet I absolutely despised.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, I don't mean Meet the Robinsons's is bad, just far from Disney's best and very bizarre. If we want to go back to a comparably bad Disney movie, I'm not sure there is one. Maybe Black Cauldron.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Barudak posted:

My vague memory is marketing wanted to tie to Kim Kardashian Breaks the Internet because that is the reference and topicality kids crave

I'm 99% certain that's a scene that maybe was just made for the trailers where they have this exact conversation, and yeah, it's "breaks" because that's the saying.

The movie's underlying lesson about friendship was fine, I thought. At least slightly healthier than WIR1's lesson, which was...be happy with your lot in life, if you try to change jobs you'll destroy everything and everyone you ever loved? But yeah, the actual writing was super weird. The entire thing being about eBay, of all sites, in the year 2018 felt extremely "your grandparents talk about the internet." The fact that the shady spambot Make Money Fast guy ended up being a straight shooter was a weird decision. Sidelining Felix and Calhoun was just unfortunate.

All that said, while the Disney and the Princesses Save the Day sequences were embarrassing, I still laugh a bit at this:

PS Chicken Little is the obvious go-to for wretched Disney movie. Holy poo poo that was bad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boxman posted:

At least slightly healthier than WIR1's lesson, which was...be happy with your lot in life, if you try to change jobs you'll destroy everything and everyone you ever loved?

I thought the message of the first one was not to be lovely to service workers because they provide a valuable role in society that you will regret if you treat them poorly. Like the trash collectors or janitors.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Chicken Little should get Song of the South'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
WIR's message is really just "the grass is always greener on the other side", don't try to make it more than that. Anyone could take that too far and decide they should never try to change anything, but that's not really the movie's problem. It's a pretty standard-issue message.