Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Things to be especially on the lookout for in the attic that has minatures-

-tiny helmet
-tiny boots
-tiny saddle and tack for Bramble (I know I keep harping on this but the difference between saddled and unsaddled mounts in terms of ride success is giant)
-food (being foraged for is nice and all, but one of these days we're gonna wind up hungry in a dark dungeon and this will make the difference)

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

-tiny helmet
-tiny boots
-tiny saddle and tack for Bramble (I know I keep harping on this but the difference between saddled and unsaddled mounts in terms of ride success is giant)
-food (being foraged for is nice and all, but one of these days we're gonna wind up hungry in a dark dungeon and this will make the difference)

Your DM is much more tougher than my DM

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

starbucks hermit posted:

Your DM is much more tougher than my DM

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

sb hermit

-tiny helmet
-tiny boots

I just want to be clear that these are important and sound ideas.

I wonder if there are other former denizens we can commune with. Besides the raccoon, there don't seem to be too many other living inhabitants. I figure we would have even found some more wild mice but maybe they couldn't find enough to eat and had to move out. But maybe a ghost or two can shed some more light on the activities of the former human occupants.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you carefully remove the cape from galahad's stuffed body, marveling at the softness and comfort as you fasten it around your neck. the sword and it's tiny scabbard you fit into the sash with the silver key and you admire yourself for a moment is an old dusty mirror. after investigating the plethora of other tiny weapons and clothing you find that most are just cosmetic and not functional for a mouse. the helmets and armor are uncomfortable and would hinder your movement, the tiny bows and arrows are old and brittle, their feathers worn and strings ready to snap.

you scan the rest of the room, smiling as you gaze upon the small spoon village. it's put together with care and vivid imagination as each spoon has a face and personality, spread amongst the various cottages and stores of the small village displayed on the cedar shelves. you scurry up to the window sill and peer outside, the storm still raging and yet the feeling still so peaceful in the old attic playroom. a flash of lightning reveals the overgrown garden below, crumbling statues covered in vines and brush. the wrought iron fence lies far in the distance, several large dark ominous figures standing behind it, for now kept from entering the ground's by the protection of the estate. a rumble of thunder is followed by another flash of lightning and you see a small form sprint towards the fence and then stop. it rises up on its hind legs and seems to waver in front of the amorphous black entities as they coalesce in front of it. your heart drops, even through the rain you are almost certain that what you see is 1015, finally awake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrd_3VMC3c

Stoner Sloth

>Time for a rescue mission!

(also yay that this is continuing cause it's very good)

City of Glompton

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Time for a rescue mission!

(also yay that this is continuing cause it's very good)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I wonder who will end up needing to be rescued.

Manifisto

oh gosh, a spoonville crossover, that is perfect! this is a particularly good Art as well.

I like the idea of a rescue mission. my question is whether we take bramble. since the area inside the fence is protected I think it's okay to take him at least as far as the fence, having more paws to help out is certainly better!

Heather Papps

hello friend

:f5:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

sb hermit

:ohdear:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Dang it, those spoons are silver too!? If we only had a few minutes to bend the head of one back and forth on the desk edge until it breaks off, we could have silver shield to go with our silver blade.

Rescue mission first of course, definitely use Bramble for speed, but remember the spoon village's location. It should be a safe area against the supernatural, and I want a shiny Perseus shield we can use to distract cats with.

Sig by Heather Papps

owlhawk911

1015 nooooo

Ass-penny

The spoonville crossover is great. I wish we had time to examine it more closely but we need to double time it to have any hope of saving our friend.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you race from the old attic playroom, down the great stairs, past the mess of silver and dishes spread across the floor and the now frightened raccoon. bramble awakens and peers around him in panic, apologizing that he didn't notice your friend leaving. the rabbit follows you out into the rain as you scramble through the gardens towards the fence. you find her there, 1015, staring into the abyss of the gathering darkness. you stop, feeling the rain drops course through your fur and you softly call to her, telling her it's ok. the darkness pulses and for a moment she seems not to hear and then she turns her head to look at you. your eyes lock and she speaks, telling you that the old ones call to both of you, beckoning you to come back home, to give yourselves over. it would be so easy, an end to all the pain and suffering you've endured.

somewhere in the forest a bluejay calls to signal the rising of the sun. the darkness recedes into the trees and the songbirds begin to sing about the imminent arrival of the morning. 1015 collapses into the grass and lets out a timid squeak. you draw nearer to her and nuzzle into her side until the sun rises and the rains come to an end. as the light of day fills the old forgotten gardens you feel a peace descending upon the both of you. bramble approaches from behind and lies down with you, giving his warmth. finally 1015 opens her eyes and speaks, telling you she's not sure she can last another night of the torment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=supe-yD0fX4

Manifisto

wow the feels

what a great track to go with it

I think we need to regroup, maybe find some food for our party and let 1015 gather her energy. it is probably worth trying to communicate with the raccoon and see whether they have any useful information. perhaps afterwards we can check out the basement lab? something in the house has power against the old ones, maybe the lab can tell us something about its nature and if there is a way to help protect our friend.

but maybe the best course is to leave the forest altogether, to get a far as possible from the influence of the old ones. can bramble tell us if that can be done before the next nightfall?

I'm torn, maybe we've gotten all we can usefully get from the house, maybe not. but it doesn't seem like a place we can stay long term and even one more night is running a risk.

owlhawk911

imo we need to stick around and be there for 1015

the house seems like a good place to be

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

imo we need to stick around and be there for 1015

the house seems like a good place to be

I meant leaving with 1015 of course, and bramble too.

house might be okay for us but not 1015 it seems

Jaguars!

Manifisto posted:

but maybe the best course is to leave the forest altogether, to get a far as possible from the influence of the old ones. can bramble tell us if that can be done before the next nightfall?

I think they'll get 1015 if we stay here another night. Look into the lab or the racoon for a bit but then I think we should try and do this.

sb hermit

Jaguars! posted:

I think they'll get 1015 if we stay here another night. Look into the lab or the racoon for a bit but then I think we should try and do this.

I second this

Manifisto

Jaguars! posted:

I'm down with this

note that it is 10/15 today, 1015's day

whatever that means

nut

Manifisto posted:

👀

Ass-penny

I also think 1015 will not live through another night here. Nthing leaving the house, and if we can get out of the forest entirely, all the better. Consult with Bramble about how feasible that is. I personally feel we should leave without poking around the house anymore, especially if we can get out of the forest with that extra time.

Jinh

Manifisto posted:

I'm down with this

whatever that means

Omg
Yes 1015's safety comes first!

BoldFrankensteinMir

We have no guarantee that anywhere away from here is any safer. But if we're going to check out the lab, the big raccoon is scared, eh? Nothing better for a dungeon than a rogue.

Just go right up to him, brass out. Cape on straight, eyes forward, ride Bramble up to that raccoon and explain directly that it's an emergency and you need his help in the lab. We know labs. You need hands to open things in them, and sometimes there's medicine, medicine our friend needs. Any food is the raccoon's, minus enough for your friend. Deal?

If he needs persuading have Bramble rear back in a napoleon pose, thus cementing our appearance of confident leadership.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
bramble tells you that the only way he knows of out of the forest is a half days journey to the east. you decide there's still time to gather what you can from the house and seek out the raccoon before you set out, leaving the rabbit outside until you and 1015 can find a way for him to enter. the two of you sramble through the tiny passages you'd entered before, through the walls and into the dining room, by the grand staircase and the silverware and dishes the raccoon had scattered about the floor. it's scent has faded and you become unsure as to whether it left before the sun rose.

for a few moments in time you lose yourself, running with your friend while following the memories of the ghost mouse to lead you through a study, a spacious library and into the long abandoned kitchen. you and 1015 find yourselves laughing, playing like the little mice you once were, darting amongst the ruins in a game of chase. you come to a stop by an old door, a wooden pane at the bottom broken through and muddy raccoon tracks showing how the larger animal had made his way inside. you turn to 1015, joyfully squeaking about the newfound opening that bramble can use to enter the house. she reaches out for your paw and smiles, nodding her head. you stand in silence for a few seconds before she speaks, asking you what fate you think has befallen the others from your laboratory group. tiny 1001, always so nervous but quick. boisterous 1024, strong and measured and wise. outside you can hear a nuthatch chittering away, talking with bramble about something going on beyond the estate's iron fences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-SFDJDCKN4

sb hermit

Luvcow posted:

bramble tells you that the only way he knows of out of the forest is a half days journey to the east. you decide there's still time to gather what you can from the house and seek out the raccoon before you set out, leaving the rabbit outside until you and 1015 can find a way for him to enter. the two of you sramble through the tiny passages you'd entered before, through the walls and into the dining room, by the grand staircase and the silverware and dishes the raccoon had scattered about the floor. it's scent has faded and you become unsure as to whether it left before the sun rose.

for a few moments in time you lose yourself, running with your friend while following the memories of the ghost mouse to lead you through a study, a spacious library and into the long abandoned kitchen. you and 1015 find yourselves laughing, playing like the little mice you once were, darting amongst the ruins in a game of chase. you come to a stop by an old door, a wooden pane at the bottom broken through and muddy raccoon tracks showing how the larger animal had made his way inside. you turn to 1015, joyfully squeaking about the newfound opening that bramble can use to enter the house. she reaches out for your paw and smiles, nodding her head. you stand in silence for a few seconds before she speaks, asking you what fate you think has befallen the others from your laboratory group. tiny 1001, always so nervous but quick. boisterous 1024, strong and measured and wise. outside you can hear a nuthatch chittering away, talking with bramble about something going on beyond the estate's iron fences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-SFDJDCKN4

The music is strangely idyllic yet the lyrics kinda speak of a dark portent

it really fits!

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

for a few moments in time you lose yourself, running with your friend while following the memories of the ghost mouse to lead you through a study, a spacious library and into the long abandoned kitchen. you and 1015 find yourselves laughing, playing like the little mice you once were, darting amongst the ruins in a game of chase. you come to a stop by an old door, a wooden pane at the bottom broken through and muddy raccoon tracks showing how the larger animal had made his way inside. you turn to 1015, joyfully squeaking about the newfound opening that bramble can use to enter the house. she reaches out for your paw and smiles, nodding her head. you stand in silence for a few seconds

:unsmith:

Luvcow posted:

she reaches out for your paw and smiles, nodding her head. you stand in silence for a few seconds before she speaks, asking you what fate you think has befallen the others from your laboratory group. tiny 1001, always so nervous but quick. boisterous 1024, strong and measured and wise.

I . . . I'm sure they're on a farm somewhere, running and playing . . .

seriously though, best case scenario is that some of many of them have joined up and found a place to abide in. we'll need to keep our eyes, ears, and whiskers out for any news.

Luvcow posted:

outside you can hear a nuthatch chittering away, talking with bramble about something going on beyond the estate's iron fences.

. . . like whatever this nuthatch is saying. let's check it out!

owlhawk911

i really feel like this house is a powerful center of Goodness, kinda the opposite of the spooky lab we escaped and worth checking out more before we bail. also can we try to feel out what's up w/ our old friends with our new spooky spirit sense?

BoldFrankensteinMir

owlhawk911 posted:

i really feel like this house is a powerful center of Goodness, kinda the opposite of the spooky lab we escaped and worth checking out more before we bail. also can we try to feel out what's up w/ our old friends with our new spooky spirit sense?

Seconding. Escaping the woods means abandoning our friends to save ourselves, and a cloaked mouse that rides a rabbit and wields a blade would be a mere knave if they were not noble in action as well. Spoon village should be safe from ghosts and ghoulies, the trick is if we leave 1015 there will they be okay until we can find one of the other mice to keep watch while we're gone with Bramble rescuing the rest of the labmice? We need a stopgap home guard.

All I can think of is leaving the silver key with 1015 for self defense but that's a poor solution, it'd be way better if we could hire that bird as a mercenary or something. Regardless of where we go next we should speak to them.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

Seconding. Escaping the woods means abandoning our friends to save ourselves.

my thinking was, what makes us think all of the other lab escapees are in the woods? some, even many, might have gone into the mountains or other places. 1015 is having a hard time in the woods, if we can set them up somewhere without the old ones and it doesn't look like there are other places to search, we can go back in without them.

there is a chance that the "old ones," or some of them, are actually other lab escapees transformed into supernatural beings . . . at least, that thought has crossed my mind.

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

w/e we do i think we should do it w/ 1015, she is extremely powerful but having a hard time rn. would probably be better off with us finding a healthy outlet for that whole melting flesh from bones thing than left alone to think about turning into a monster

Manifisto

also, maybe the downstairs lab has something that will let us animate the spoons into an army

you know, like mickey mouse and the wizard's hat, but with spoons instead of brooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm8usaH0sM

sucks that this is not a full clip, it gets better

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

Manifisto posted:

my thinking was, what makes us think all of the other lab escapees are in the woods? some, even many, might have gone into the mountains or other places. 1015 is having a hard time in the woods, if we can set them up somewhere without the old ones and it doesn't look like there are other places to search, we can go back in without them.

there is a chance that the "old ones," or some of them, are actually other lab escapees transformed into supernatural beings . . . at least, that thought has crossed my mind.

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered but seems in line with the other things we've learned. I agree that we don't have any idea where our other friends have ended up, and my suggestion for leaving the woods is entirely for 1015's health.

Manifisto posted:

also, maybe the downstairs lab has something that will let us animate the spoons into an army

you know, like mickey mouse and the wizard's hat, but with spoons instead of brooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm8usaH0sM

sucks that this is not a full clip, it gets better

:psypop: Definitely haven't considered that! I like where your head is at!

For a current course of action I think we should see what Bramble and this nuthatch are talking about.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you make your way outside and find bramble sitting by the fence talking with a frenzied nuthatch. the little bird crawls back and forth along the top of the old iron fence and upon seeing you it begins to sing of the outside world, the cities burning, the humans fleeing from their houses. explosions during the night and planes falling form the sky. bramble turns to you in disbelief, wondering if you have any idea why this is happening. the bird continues, singing about the potential for a world free of humanity and deep within you something stirs. memories of the kind woman, of the ghost mouse's friendly humans and then that of the cruel man and the experiments he made you and your friend's endure. 1015 seems lost in thought, staring ahead into nothing. she reaches out and grasps your paw, squeezing it tightly as she begins to cry. you close your eyes and concentrate on your lab mates, trying to feel their presence. tears well up in your eyes as you realize at least 10 of them no longer walk the mortal world, yet you feel no presence of them in the afterlife, instead you feel something entirely unnatural, twisted... wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKCMPRkzIQ

Ass-penny

How many labmates were we originally? 10 seems like it could be a pretty significant chunk of our friends to have monsterized. The elder sign on the gate/1015's reaction to the nuthatch is not making me feel great about kicking it around the mansion much longer.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Manifisto

the vibe of this story reminds me a bit of the philip pullman "his dark materials" books, I'm not entirely sure why. (I think those are really cool books for children's literature btw, easily beating the pants off harry "yer a wizard" potter.)

rear end-penny posted:

How many labmates were we originally? 10 seems like it could be a pretty significant chunk of our friends to have monsterized. The elder sign on the gate/1015's reaction to the nuthatch is not making me feel great about kicking it around the mansion much longer.

I mean, I assume they numbered consecutively, and the story has mentioned 1001 and we're 1031, so 31 at least. or maybe 1031 at least?

I am curious whether we can sense the presence of the non-twisted ones, and in particular which direction they may be? sounds like there may not be respite in many places outside the forest, although perhaps the mountains?

this is a nice track, I really need to check out more songs by them since "the trip" and this one are really good

from the recs following that track, a very appropriate track (I know and like courtney and her duets with kurt):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6VpRKMu0Ig

ty nesamdoom!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
:f5h::eek:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Just wanna say that I've been working my way through this thread and have been really really enjoying it! I just got to page 3, and I hope to get all the way caught up this weekend.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit