Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gschmidl posted:

I want your soul
I will eat your soul

no fatties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

I want your soul
I will eat your soul

this doesnt seem practical

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

gschmidl posted:

I want your soul
I will eat your soul

Why do I feel like that car plays Dixie when you honk the horn

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

gschmidl posted:

I want your soul
I will eat your soul

God, i hope that is a photoshop

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol:
Watch This Tesla Model Y Window Shatter On Its Own While Parked In Garage
https://insideevs.com/news/449287/tesla-model-y-glass-shattering-issue/

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
it's seemingly real, but oddly enough I can't find any videos of it in motion, although it clearly has pictures taken at multiple locales

some kind of hosed up SCP

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

commando in tophat posted:

God, i hope that is a photoshop

Nope.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Dr. Killjoy posted:

it's seemingly real, but oddly enough I can't find any videos of it in motion, although it clearly has pictures taken at multiple locales

It was pretty much just a show car. It had an articulation joint in the middle and it looks like they split it there and carted the two halves around on flatbed trucks.

https://mikeshouts.com/worlds-longest-stretched-limousine/

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/SneakyDee101/status/1317161408035958784?s=20

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The thing that is hilarious is Las Vegas already has a monorail and multiple automated people movers (CityCenter, McCarran) and they were still like, yeah, lets do this idiotic Tesla in tunnel thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You guys don't get it. In a few decades the lovely Musk Tunnel will become Vegas' top ironic tourist destination.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

13 people per minute is absolutely hilarious.
i feel like this is wildly optimistic

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

eXXon posted:

You guys don't get it. In a few decades the lovely Musk Tunnel will become Vegas' top ironic tourist destination.

That's because after it floods it will be the only source of water for 50 miles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

comedyblissoption posted:

i feel like this is wildly optimistic

13 people per minute, every 20 minutes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's in Aphex Twin's Windowlicker video, hence the spoiler text.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol:
Watch This Tesla Model Y Window Shatter On Its Own While Parked In Garage
https://insideevs.com/news/449287/tesla-model-y-glass-shattering-issue/

Sounds like he doesn't love the car

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Mrs. Dash posted:

Sounds like he doesn't love the car

sounds like he's making a glass breaking sound with his mouth to a video of his garage.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

is the las vegas loop still one way or did they dig a second tunnel so cars can go both ways at the same time

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is it an actual loop or a one way tunnel that cuts throughput in half?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

WhyteRyce posted:

Is it an actual loop or a one way tunnel that cuts throughput in half?

by all appearances it is a loop. all the diagrams and renders show two parallel tunnels

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

trust our genious to not forget about mankind's most perfect invention, the full duplex tunnel, despite being laughed at for a while, and so two tunnels have been bored

(ps no render of the original hyperloop concept ever showed two parallel vacuum tubes lamo)

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

dragging the many many limitations of modern neural networks out into the public eye is at least a beneficial service lmao

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Musk just spoke at a Mars Society convention and said Starship could go to Mars in 2024.

They've been working on it since 2012 - almost a decade - and they have engines bolted to fuel tanks for the second stage. The first stage does not exist. The life support system does not exist and nothing like what they'll need ever has existed.

For reference the SLS was announced 6 months prior to the Mars Colonial Transporter Interplanetary Transport System Starship and the SLS now has two stages and a crew capsule.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dustcat posted:

trust our genious to not forget about mankind's most perfect invention, the full duplex tunnel, despite being laughed at for a while, and so two tunnels have been bored

(ps no render of the original hyperloop concept ever showed two parallel vacuum tubes lamo)

It's because it's so fast that by the time people leave/board the hypertrain the other hypertrain comes through the whole tube I'm just making poo poo up

Owling Howl posted:

Musk just spoke at a Mars Society convention and said Starship could go to Mars in 2024.

They've been working on it since 2012 - almost a decade - and they have engines bolted to fuel tanks for the second stage. The first stage does not exist. The life support system does not exist and nothing like what they'll need ever has existed.

For reference the SLS was announced 6 months prior to the Mars Colonial Transporter Interplanetary Transport System Starship and the SLS now has two stages and a crew capsule.

Mars Citizen: Answer the call 202420252026?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Owling Howl posted:

Everyone wants to ignore the boring stuff, but if you just figure in water needed, and the water reclamation efficiency of the iss (which is the best we've done to date), some quick napkin math shows the ludicrous amount of water you would need to ship for a multi-year trip.

But everyone is juiced up on USS enterprise fantasies and ignoring all the little things that need to be done.

If Starship flies to orbit and lands by 2024, I'll be surprised. If it carries humans by 2028 I'll be shocked. If it leaves Leo by 2030 I'll be amazed. If it ever ever goes to Mars I'll fall over dead.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Musk said the life support stuff was trivial

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just drink your own piss and/or mine ice from the asteroid belt. Problem solved!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Wow sounds like musk could make a fortune if he bids on contracts to supply arctic/antarctic research stations and remote desert communities, wonder why he doesnt

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Justin Tyme posted:

Wow sounds like musk could make a fortune if he bids on contracts to supply arctic/antarctic research stations and remote desert communities, wonder why he doesnt

It's too easy

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

it is trivial when you don't care if the people inside the rocket actually stay alive

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

mr Scoop posted:

it is trivial when you don't care if the people inside the rocket actually stay alive

the first bunch aren't there to set up things, they're sent to fertilize the dirt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Musk is brilliant, just an absolute freak of nature hercules of a man, he could do absolutely anything and is possibly smarter than einstein himself. He runs his companies out of his garage right? Amazing he can build those cars and rockets in such a small place with only his own tools and napkin sketches

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Musk is brilliant, just an absolute freak of nature hercules of a man, he could do absolutely anything and is possibly smarter than einstein himself. He runs his companies out of his garage right? Amazing he can build those cars and rockets in such a small place with only his own tools and napkin sketches

counterpoint

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Tech Crunch posted:

TBC last year suggested an emergency ladder for its proposed Loop between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., a system that Corbett called “the definition of insanity,” as it did not account for passengers with limited mobility. That project is now on pause.
lmao yet again, our little boy genius is a never-ending font of entertainment

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gschmidl posted:

Just drink your own piss and/or mine ice from the asteroid belt. Problem solved!

They already drink all the piss they can in the iss and it's still only ~75% efficient.

I think I remember figuring for a crew of 8 to 12 for the safety margins of duration, they need to truck 50 some tons of water with them, while being as efficient as the iss.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Basically my entire understanding of Tesla's business model is a bunch of rich people think buses are for gross poor people but they think they would definitely would ride in some gross ratty rear end Tesla because Uber Black has been a good experience for them in the past.
His pitch for hyperloop at some point was literally saying that on public transportation, you never know if the person sitting next to you is a serial killer. I've been riding public transit for almost 20 years and the most threatened I've felt was the death glares from the creepy guy while I was standing up and moved across the aisle to block him after he was clearly taking pictures of random women's feet.

Shugojin posted:

i don't think the rockets are gonna look very different to detection systems
IR detection of missile launches from space is pretty sophisticated and would most likely show the profile of a civilian rocket launching or performing a static fire. But only the first time. After that, either everyone dies or you would have treaty obligations to have international observers at every future launch, even with top secret or TS/SCI payloads.

In other words, exactly the same idiotic poo poo you would expect from Musk and people in the DoD who have a hardon for high tech war and apparently no sense of linear time.

infernal machines posted:

i'm amazed it works at all without massive multi-second lag spikes every few minutes
I'm 95% sure that the admittedly impressive results in this phase of testing are hitting the news because they never solved the downlink problem. The capacity to simultaneously downlink to so many ground stations is an immense challenge, and I don't see the satellites carrying enough processing power to manage as many spot beam downlinks as they claim and definitely don't trust SpaceX to implement proper encryption to protect data if they go with the broadcast alternative.

Karl Sharks posted:

the first bunch aren't there to set up things, they're sent to fertilize the dirt
Just like the raspberry bushes in France.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tom Guycot posted:

If it ever ever goes to Mars I'll fall over dead.

Oh, so you plan on being aboard?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

I bought a Tesla Model S last November. Tesla accidentally sent the car to Hawaii (!) when I'm in California. The first I know about this is when I get a phone call from Tesla in Honolulu asking for my local address to deliver the car. I refused that car although I had already paid the full price, and (of course) Tesla deducted my small deposit from my credit despite the fact it was their mistake that made me cancel the purchase.

On my replacement order, I decided to go with a long range model rather than the performance model, after lobbying by my wife. That saved $20,000 plus the California sales tax, that's a total of $21,800. As I'd already paid for the first car, I was told that they would send me a check for the difference, and they did - 5 months and numerous phone calls later.

The car itself failed to to run about three weeks after it arrived. I had it towed to a service center and two weeks later had it back. I was given some Uber vouchers for use while the car was being repaired, rather than the loaner car I had been told to expect. When the car was returned to me it was filthy, both inside and out, and with a scratch on the front fender. I didn't see the scratch until the car was cleaned, so Tesla refused to accept that they had caused it.

The Tesla service center is a nightmare. It is always full of cars, so much so that the parking for prospective customers at the adjoining Tesla sales office is always full. I wonder how many sales were lost because people couldn't park. The Tesla service personnel seem to be inexperienced and have zero idea how to treat customers - specially customers with cars costing around $90,000 - they are borderline rude, don't seem to care about their work. Perhaps it's because they are so rushed by of the sheer number of customers. Tesla desperately needs more service capacity and staff who can at least pretend to care about customers.

Contacting Tesla when my car failed (by texting them from the app) was not a good experience either. I had to go through around nearly 30 minutes to texting back and for before the service guy at the other end agreed it was a car problem and not a new owner who didn't understand how to drive the car. Very annoying.

All in all, Tesla really needs to get its act together on multiple fronts. I love the car, but I have a strong dislike for the company. When it's time to change my car, I will buy another electric car but from another company, assuming there are equivalent cars available elsewhere when that time comes.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Tesla service personnel seem to be inexperienced and have zero idea how to treat customers - specially customers with cars costing around $90,000 - they are borderline rude, don't seem to care about their work. Perhaps it's because they are so rushed by of the sheer number of customers.

no it's because they know paypigs don't deserve good service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Karl Sharks posted:

no it's because they know paypigs don't deserve good service

It’s this. They treat you like garbage because they know you’re going to buy the car anyway. They could knock you down in the parking lot, squat over your face, and poo poo directly into your mouth and eyes, and you’d swallow, drive the car home, and make a slightly piqued post on an Internet forum wherein you would be sure to use the phrase “I still love the car.” In that post you’d say that it wasn’t very professional for the Tesla service people to poo poo on your face, and that they should have poo poo into a bag and let you take it home to apply at your leisure, and a dozen other posters would leap on you and attack you for being a short and a fudster, just like you did to the last person you saw make a mild criticism of Tesla.

Tesla has contempt for their customers because their customers are contemptible.