Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
on the other hand I still say ruhkweem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

My first ever exposure to Druids was Mandalore and Shammy streaming it, so when I found out that retsupurae also did it I was beyond disheartened that in whatever version they were watching, Lowry had been patched to actually sit properly in his chair instead of float above it like a vengeful god.

lowry floating above the chair was the spark that lit the powderkeg, but the powderkeg wasn't ready yet when retsupurae did those videos. it needed time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sexpig by night posted:

the surgery one and HELL BED are great, but I forgot his obsession with quad copters.

The surgery one causes me near visceral pain to watch. Just the thought of of one of those lovely knock-off Thunderbird's drill tanks digging around in my veins raises my hair.

On the topic of the retsuprae longplays, I've always dug Ernest Evans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ukZGSqdjoI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? I woulda used those powers to redtext and mock the gently caress out of Leal for that nonsense. Give them a badge of shame they couldn't get rid of without paying Lowtax and looking worse.

Seriously Leal, what you're saying is not just stupid it's morally loving gutless. You entitled little loving grub.

Tempting as it may be, there's a log that lists all your mod actions so the admins can see when you do poo poo like redtext people with your mod powers, even if they might completely deserve it. Plus I tried super hard to stay impartial as a mod because mods with posting grudges tended to be hated and with good reason.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I laughed so hard when they were watching some Super Mario 64 video played on a Mac emulator so it ran at like 10 FPS and I can't remember who but they called it a "tool assisted slow run".

That video has one of my favorite slowbeef moments of all time in it.

Proteus: According to the comments he's doing some kind of hack run that lets you beat the game faster.

slowbeef: Faster than WHAT?! HISTORY?!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Slowbeef's Creepy Pasta readings were a personal favorite of mine, with Blood Whistle feeling like a clear winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziR3WdNP7U

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love the Dahir Insaat of the stupid UFO stilt cars, because you already think it's stupid and then they throw you on your rear end with the surprise firefighting quadcopter. It actually got some recent play after a clickbait Twitter shared the video with the commentary of "could this be the future of public transport???".

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Veotax posted:

The Retsupurae videos may not have aged well, but some of them just stick in my head. "My answer will be less than ten minutes because that is the Youtube limit" still makes me laugh, which also shows how old they are.

Was it Retsupurae who did a whole video chatting about the person playing the game only to, about 8 minutes in say somthing like "should we tell them that we're not actually talking about the video yet?"

I've been looking for that particular video for years.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Tempting as it may be, there's a log that lists all your mod actions so the admins can see when you do poo poo like redtext people with your mod powers, even if they might completely deserve it. Plus I tried super hard to stay impartial as a mod because mods with posting grudges tended to be hated and with good reason.

That video has one of my favorite slowbeef moments of all time in it.

Proteus: According to the comments he's doing some kind of hack run that lets you beat the game faster.

slowbeef: Faster than WHAT?! HISTORY?!

Was that the LP where you could hear the poor computer basically screaming in pain, so they joked that the computer is literally red hot and the reason the LPer sucked so much is because he couldn't touch the keyboard?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

I love the Dahir Insaat of the stupid UFO stilt cars, because you already think it's stupid and then they throw you on your rear end with the surprise firefighting quadcopter. It actually got some recent play after a clickbait Twitter shared the video with the commentary of "could this be the future of public transport???".

My favourite Dahir Insaat video was the one real video they published that was supposed to be a proof of concept for their insane and unfeasible hyper-actuated servo arm poo poo and the thing could barely move, was incredibly unstable, and appeared to break down halfway through the video.

Shortly after that video went up, Dahir Insaat tried to scrub the internet of all traces of itself :thunk:

Pulsarcat posted:

Was that the LP where you could hear the poor computer basically screaming in pain, so they joked that the computer is literally red hot and the reason the LPer sucked so much is because he couldn't touch the keyboard?

Yes, that was the same video.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

Was it Retsupurae who did a whole video chatting about the person playing the game only to, about 8 minutes in say somthing like "should we tell them that we're not actually talking about the video yet?"

I think it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd-9ZVbZA4

quote:

You've gotta speak up and ask questions if you ever wanna find stuff!

That was Deceased Crab. https://youtu.be/vSd-9ZVbZA4

I love how so many of us have all of their videos committed to memory, so we can link them within minutes

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 17, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

You've gotta speak up and ask questions if you ever wanna find stuff!

That was Deceased Crab. https://youtu.be/vSd-9ZVbZA4

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You're telling more there's more Dahir Insaat content they didn't cover? This is a travesty!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember them doing Ripper, but honestly much prefer the Spoony LP of that

Retsupurae's Ripper wasn't their best work I would say, but still okay overall. Spoony's LP of that was pretty good, but I feel like Spoony was top form for weird games like that and Phantasmagoria.

Actually wait, remember when Slowbeef impersonated DarkSydePhil and didn't break character for like 2 hours

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 17, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

Tempting as it may be, there's a log that lists all your mod actions so the admins can see when you do poo poo like redtext people with your mod powers, even if they might completely deserve it.

...the admins frowning upon that is kinda news to me? i feel like that's something mods are generally totally allowed to do if a poster's being a huge dick but not to probe/ban levels

might be a difference between lowtax and jeffrey, though

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is it too late to join the "leal is an entitled dipshit" chorus? Because man is leal an entitled dipshit.

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought that was just a perk that came with the suffering of having to mod a forum for no money. Maybe the mods should have a patreon?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

My favourite Dahir Insaat video was the one real video they published that was supposed to be a proof of concept for their insane and unfeasible hyper-actuated servo arm poo poo and the thing could barely move, was incredibly unstable, and appeared to break down halfway through the video.

Shortly after that video went up, Dahir Insaat tried to scrub the internet of all traces of itself :thunk:

Hell Bed will always be my favorite, but there’s a special place in my heart for that insane quadcopters-lifting-large-stuff-over-overpasses-then-putting-them-back-on-trucks object transportation system. It was a bad idea on an unheard of number of levels.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I love the restaurant one and the car supermarket, although Hellbed is the undoubted king.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...the admins frowning upon that is kinda news to me? i feel like that's something mods are generally totally allowed to do if a poster's being a huge dick but not to probe/ban levels

might be a difference between lowtax and jeffrey, though

Lowtax was basically a non-entity in terms of modding decisions for years and definitely wasn't a factor during my modding term. He'd just come in, do some dumb bullshit and the real admins like Jeffrey, FAU, and ZDR would try to clean it up as best they could, but really they were the ones running the place and the folks we'd take stuff up the chain to, not Lowtax. And yeah they were generally levelheaded and frowned upon snap-judgement big bombastic actions in favour of more even-handed punishments. I think the biggest thing I did as a mod was kick [the creepy stalker gadfly rear end in a top hat who shall go unnamed] out of both here and LP, and FAU had my back on it because, well, all I did was pull the trigger on something that had been brewing for months at that point.

McCloud posted:

I thought that was just a perk that came with the suffering of having to mod a forum for no money. Maybe the mods should have a patreon?

Maybe some mods acted that way, but I only did title changes as rewards or to fix people getting redtexted when asked or as harmless jokes. I tended to be pretty swing happy with probations and telling people to shut up and gently caress off in said probation reasons when I thought they were being dipshits and assholes, but I always found redtexting a step too far and way too overtly malicious especially for a mod-driven action.

QCS loves to malign the poo poo out of the mods, but in my experience they've been some of the funnest, chillest, most levelheaded and thoughtful posters I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with--the very obvious exceptions notwithstanding.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...er, if you didn't have a capture card, FRAPS was the good option until OBS came along

it was hypercam that had the watermarks that RP made fun of, and... firstly, hypercam was a complete pile of poo poo that nobody should ever use, and secondly, they were using an ultra-limited shareware version that added a watermark when FRAPS was right loving there and iirc didn't watermark your footage

To be fair to hypercam, eventually they dropped the watermark bullshit. (At least for hypercam 2 they did. I know because I still have that poo poo installed on an old laptop of mine, in case I want to make combat videos for my Master of Orion 3 LP.)

nine-gear crow posted:

My personal favorite is the one where Dahir Insaat re-purposes some kind of mining equipment idea into a "method" of scraping cholesterol from the inside of your blood vessels, using inflatable tires and lots of knives. That poo poo was insane.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

To be fair to hypercam, eventually they dropped the watermark bullshit. (At least for hypercam 2 they did. I know because I still have that poo poo installed on an old laptop of mine, in case I want to make combat videos for my Master of Orion 3 LP.)

My personal favorite is the one where Dahir Insaat re-purposes some kind of mining equipment idea into a "method" of scraping cholesterol from the inside of your blood vessels, using inflatable tires and lots of knives. That poo poo was insane.

It was never posted anywhere, but in between rounds of commentary for an LP I did a Retsuprae of the Dahir Insaat DentistBot video with ChaosArgate and Jobbo_Fett and I just remember saying something during it like "God, could you imagine if this tiny high pressure device with all its wires, servos, and drill bits malfunctioned and just went berserk inside your mouth? If I went to a dentist and they pulled this horrifying thing out of and tried to stick it on one of my teeth, I'd get up out of the chair and never go back for another checkup."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The worst/best thing about Dahir Insaat is that they were 100% serious (until proven otherwise)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? I woulda used those powers to redtext and mock the gently caress out of Leal for that nonsense. Give them a badge of shame they couldn't get rid of without paying Lowtax and looking worse.

Seriously Leal, what you're saying is not just stupid it's morally loving gutless. You entitled little loving grub.

Cripes, why not just ban him at that point?

Also, doesn't Jeffrey have full ownership of SA now? Wouldn't the money go to him?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Is Dahir Insaat the source of that goddamn nightmare bed concept that could easily crush you to death?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is Dahir Insaat the source of that goddamn nightmare bed concept that could easily crush you to death?

Yes.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Max Wilco posted:

Also, doesn't Jeffrey have full ownership of SA now? Wouldn't the money go to him?

He had to take the store down so the money would go to the site IIRC. I don't think that's been straightened out yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Yeah, people have been talking about a 'hellbed' for 2 pages and that's what they meant

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Snatcher was translated. It even had a hilarious dub. Are you thinking of Policenauts?

Yes sorry my bad

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, people have been talking about a 'hellbed' for 2 pages and that's what they meant

Oh :lol:, somehow my brain wasn't making the connection between hellbed and that hellbed. I know that sounds dumb but it's been a long week.

The name Dahir Insaat didn't ring any bells at first but the "safe" bed is a special kind of horror, the kind that you never completely forget.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mokinokaro posted:

Snatcher was translated. It even had a hilarious dub. Are you thinking of Policenauts?

the dub of Snatcher is actually bizarrely good for the time

same ADR director as the first MGS, which also got a loving fantastic dub (I honestly think the translation and VAing in Twin Snakes is way worse)

Jeremy Blaustein is a national treasure

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

There's also their amazing riffs on BillyMC's videos who they genuinely love.

It's a shame that Chip deleted his rps from his channel because they were good examples of how to rp without attacking the lper. They mostly used the video footage as an excuse to tell jokes. Especially the Wolverine one.
"I'm the best at what I do, and what I do is slice off my own dick."

ehhh, props for having the mind to do it, but chip in particular had to take down some videos when he realized after the fact they were mocking someone for having issues

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the dub of Snatcher is actually bizarrely good for the time

same ADR director as the first MGS, which also got a loving fantastic dub (I honestly think the translation and VAing in Twin Snakes is way worse)

Jeremy Blaustein is a national treasure

It’s amazing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favourite Retsupurae videos outside of the Navigatr saga are their Alone in the Dark and Deep Fear videos, and also that weird horror game that used spheres instead of polygons to make models and a werewolf kept punching them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V48J035WitQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mz58SFm4Y

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Who was that LPer they riffed on who would do the voices for female characters and even modded himself into a fire emblem game so he could express his undying love to one of the female characters? :allears:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Who was that LPer they riffed on who would do the voices for female characters and even modded himself into a fire emblem game so he could express his undying love to one of the female characters? :allears:

I think there were two Fire Emblem LPs they did so you might be mashing them together.

This one where the LPer did all the voices and improvised combat dialogue .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a658KWAmHd4

And this one where the dude made a ROM hack with him in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNRKz07uf4

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb-tgLUABxA

I was thinking it was this one, where they don't even know he's voicing the girl until partway through.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^that's it

that guy also did one where the Pokemon Black and White female protag was like his...girlfriend...slash...daughter...right?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah, that was it! Mage Knight lmao The pokemon one was the first one I saw then that fire emblem one... hell of a one two punch those are :allears:

Edit: I'm watching these again and drat, as a trans woman, I envy this guy's feminine vocal range lmao

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 17, 2020

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think Retsupaurae did one where a guy got super mad at Poochynea and called it the F word and everything spiraled after that. Was it also RP or one of Chip and Ironicus' old RPs where it was a middle school kid and his girlfriend doing an LP of pokemon Yellow that ended with them looking at the youtube pages and showing that they were no longer together? With Lincoln Park lyrics and everything

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

The Shame Boy posted:

Was it also RP or one of Chip and Ironicus' old RPs where it was a middle school kid and his girlfriend doing an LP of pokemon Yellow that ended with them looking at the youtube pages and showing that they were no longer together? With Lincoln Park lyrics and everything

Yeah that one was C&I, I remember watching it. That one got a little too personal, combing through their profiles and the kid even shows his face at one point, understandable they'd want that one gone irrespective of all the others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, that was it! Mage Knight lmao The pokemon one was the first one I saw then that fire emblem one... hell of a one two punch those are :allears:

I've heard Mage Knight was a really good sport about it, surprisingly.

In hindsight his production was pretty drat good for the time outside of his goofy fanfiction approach.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 17, 2020