Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

eXXon posted:

Kerfoot kind of sucks, especially for his cap hit, but I don't see how Thornton is an improvement over... uh, anyone currently on the roster. Also the thought of Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds potentially all playing together is terrifying. Imagine them and Muzzin + Holl on D.

He does kind of suck, but I'd rather give him one more year to see if he improves. I am not entirely convinced that the team continually being in flux hurt him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
San Jose wanted Marleau but not Thornton?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think Thornton wanted to go back.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I just want to see a Joe Thornton Hat Trick before I die.

I'm sure he wants to see one before he dies as well

What I'm saying is that someone needs to put up 4 and just whip it out at center ice. Now that I write it down I can't believe they haven't actually done this on Letterkenny yet. Seems like a pretty Shoresy move

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd take Joe in Vancouver on that deal... If Vancouver had any cap space...

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol what a way to end your career: on a big wet fart

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Long live the 1997 NHL entry draft. May it never die.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hope they roll out Simmonds/Thornton/Spezza on a line, like having an all-fat guy team in NES Ice Hockey.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

yellowcar posted:

lol what a way to end your career: on a big wet fart

Matthews and Marner demanded a new father from the San Jose Sharks after Marleau didn't pan out.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I think Joe should be allowed to play clutch and grab hockey and pin guys to the boards or just lay on them in the defensive end... anyone still playing who played pre lockout deserves that much.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

It going to be extremely weird seeing Spezza and Thornton together on the ice. But, I accept it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/KaterinaJokinen/status/1317227697194532864

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

https://twitter.com/sanjosesharks/status/1317218759535337475?s=21

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Even without Thornton, the top-3 from 1997 have played more games for the Leafs than any of their draft picks did that year.

Jeff Farkas played 8 games, Adam Mair played 24 games, Shawn Thornton never played for the Leafs, and neither did Jonathan Hedstrom.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The fourth pick, of course, was originally Toronto's but they traded it to the Islanders for Wendel Clark.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Offersheet Cirelli you coward GMs

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Interested to see Thornton's Cullen impression.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

The fourth pick, of course, was originally Toronto's but they traded it to the Islanders for Wendel Clark.

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I did not remember that, do you think missing out on Roberto Luongo hurt the leafs?

:negative:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Trading Clark originally got them Sundin so you got to make a move to negate that and balance the universe.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I did not remember that, do you think missing out on Roberto Luongo hurt the leafs?

They probably would have traded him for like Garth Snow or someone.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Also Kenny Jonsson who was pretty drat solid.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I still remember my dad getting shouting-at-the-TV furious over Jonsson's defensive gently caress ups his first couple years.

:unsmith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1317212021738381312?s=19

I want to believe :unsmith:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hooray Jumbo :toot:

Kerfoot’s fine, he’s just not a bargain on a team that desperately needs players who are underpaid. There’s no way the Leafs move him after signing Vesey IMO. The Leafs have an abundance of 4th line centres now but that’s not really an issue.

It is funny how Marleau and Thornton are alternating stops on this team. I’m just glad Joe won’t cost $6M for multiple seasons.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

kinda want to see thornton play with marner just to see how well they'd setup the guy that gets covered by the entire opposing team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Call Your Grandma posted:

kinda want to see thornton play with marner just to see how well they'd setup the guy that gets covered by the entire opposing team.

Guerin put up 12 in 17 followed by 15 in 24 in the playoffs. 45 in 78 the regular season after with 9 in 11 that post season. I too would like to see such things if only to waste a year of Marner.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Did we not just get a Joe Thornton/Switzerland announcement like 2 days ago?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

myron cope posted:

What's this yurop you speak of? Sounds fake.

Go Jumbo Joe for being the broken lethargic captain of the broken team of Canada.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

myron cope posted:

Yes, he's playing in Switzerland until the camps starts

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1317232099938611201?s=19

The Sabres have resumed on ice training I see

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell yeah

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

myron cope posted:

Maybe the threat was that COVID would take out an opposing team and HC Davos would come over as a replacement and beat the Leafs at home.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I think what it means is Jumbo is going to score 10 points in 20 games, then break his hip and retire.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1317511394288435201

The Pittsburgh Penguins bought out Jack Johnson and signed Cody Ceci.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's so beautiful

They should have sent a poet

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kilza posted:

Lol I love that NYR and PIT finally dumped the massive pylons on their blueline.....and swiftly replaced them with new pylons.

The wheel of mediocrity in the NHL continues to turn! It’s not just bad GMs who constantly get second (or third, fourth, fifth) chances..

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Kilza posted:

JR, and the Pittsburgh org as a whole have no idea how to evaluate defensemen lol. Whether it’s using a mid 1st on dudes like Joe Morrow, Simon Despres, and Derrick Pouliot, or trades/free agency, pretty much all bad

However, the Ceci signing I approve of

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

God dammit.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Thank god Rutherford took Ceci off the market before Jimbo could get him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I remember when Bryan Murray offered Ceci $4mil x 8 year extension or something and he turned it down in like 2016-17 - I think he ended up getting like 4.3/1 year in arb instead lol