Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The final season commited the worst crime a season of True Blood could: it was loving boring.

Bill's death was hilariously melodramatic at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shageletic posted:

*circles black SUV*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They did Hoyt so drat dirty. gently caress Jason and Jessica.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then she got a recurring on Lucifer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aimee Garcia is a goddamned treasure you best step off

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

This will never not be funny.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

They did Hoyt so drat dirty. gently caress Jason and Jessica.

Gladly :haw:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just started watching Helstrom. Pretty mediocre. The writing, esp the dialogue, is wince inducing. Pilots are supposed to be polished to the nth degree. It feels like its a rough first draft.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Counterpoint: the ending of True Blood had Rutger Hauer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shageletic posted:

Just started watching Helstrom. Pretty mediocre. The writing, esp the dialogue, is wince inducing. Pilots are supposed to be polished to the nth degree. It feels like its a rough first draft.

Most pilots are rough

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Azhais posted:

Most pilots are rough

Comedies, sure. But usually good dramas start out strong. I mean sometimes the characterizations or tones are off (Buffy, for example), but there's usually something that immediately catches you, mainly because the creator has been slaving over it for years.

But Helstrom just doesn't seem to have anything to grab onto.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

mainly because the creator has been slaving over it for years.

You realise this is an MCU Hulu show, right? Nobody’s putting their heart and soul into that.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Counterpoint: the ending of True Blood had Rutger Hauer.

In one of the last seasons a woman was beating another woman (one or both of them being vampires) with her high heel and pulling hair and it was so much like Dynasty I kinda loved it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Then she got a recurring on Lucifer.

Rhyno posted:

Aimee Garcia is a goddamned treasure you best step off

Oh yeah, I love her. She's immortal, looks to be 20s but is in her 40s. She's awesome. Tried to find the GIF of her and Lucifer "reenacting" a stabbing but couldn't find it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah, I love her. She's immortal, looks to be 20s but is in her 40s. She's awesome. Tried to find the GIF of her and Lucifer "reenacting" a stabbing but couldn't find it.

https://i.imgur.com/K6MUGqt.gifv

iirc this was ad-libbed by her

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My parents, who are evangelical christians, who threw my he-mans away because of that one "toys are devil worshipping" video, love that show because of how charismatic Tom Ellis is. When she said they were watching it I couldn't believe it, if I had tried to watch a show named Lucifer when I was a kid...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

My parents, who are evangelical christians, who threw my he-mans away because of that one "toys are devil worshipping" video, love that show because of how charismatic Tom Ellis is. When she said they were watching it I couldn't believe it, if I had tried to watch a show named Lucifer when I was a kid...

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1282702466014826496?s=19

He definitely has charisma

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I checked out of Lucifer in the second season. I couldn't even hate watch it because it was so goddamn formulaic and repetitive.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I didn't see the ending but I remember really liking this moment and wanting to see where it all goes. Though last stuff I remember before I quit watching was some weird poo poo with some idk horny sex demon lady and then some weird faerie realm poo poo. that actually sounds pretty dope now thatr I write it out but at the time I was very ??? about where anything was going.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

You realise this is an MCU Hulu show, right? Nobody’s putting their heart and soul into that.

that's a shame then.

but I was looking around before and found this article on Drew Goddard, who wrote Daredevil's first season, and he had been pitching it for years (first as a movie). I think that sort of passion really showed in the pilot: https://www.indiewire.com/2015/09/drew-goddard-says-he-once-pitched-marvel-a-daredevil-movie-talks-vision-for-sinister-six-114488/

I'd love to read more of what that process was like.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Movies and TV shows based on existing franchises can be refined labors of love, if they're based on a script that has been floating around for years and then some producer tells them to change all the names.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well this is disappointing and confusing:

"Hulk Sad! Tatiana Maslany Says She Is Not Playing She-Hulk"
https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/tatiana-maslany-says-she-is-not-playing-she-hulk.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that sucks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well this is disappointing and confusing:

"Hulk Sad! Tatiana Maslany Says She Is Not Playing She-Hulk"
https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/tatiana-maslany-says-she-is-not-playing-she-hulk.html

more confusing than anything, really, because... I'm gonna say it, she sounds like she's evasively bullshitting and at a bare minimum there's large parts of the story she doesn't want to tell.

either she actually is playing She-Hulk and she's just NDA'd until it's ready for prime time, or something really hosed happened and she's not allowed to talk about it without risking her career.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or she's negotiating through the press. Paul Rudd denied Ant Man for a long time until it happened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So that West Wing reunion special is just a stage play version of an old episode.

Positive: Sterling K Brown is a decent version of Leo McGarry

Negative: gently caress these chess metaphors in tv shows

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I admit I primarily gave Lucifer a chance on Netflix because the cast was just so drat pretty.

Shageletic posted:

that's a shame then.

but I was looking around before and found this article on Drew Goddard, who wrote Daredevil's first season, and he had been pitching it for years (first as a movie). I think that sort of passion really showed in the pilot: https://www.indiewire.com/2015/09/drew-goddard-says-he-once-pitched-marvel-a-daredevil-movie-talks-vision-for-sinister-six-114488/

I'd love to read more of what that process was like.

Hellstrom's a weird case because it was supposed to be part of a bunch of new shows on Hulu that seemed like a MCU supernatural Defenders type thing but then Disney+ happened and they cancelled all their planned stuff with Hulu. But somehow Hellstrom survived even though it was DOA. They've got a MODOK series that is basically the same thing. It was supposed to be one of a bunch of comedy series that would come together except now that's not happening but it still is for reasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

So that West Wing reunion special is just a stage play version of an old episode.

Positive: Sterling K Brown is a decent version of Leo McGarry

Negative: gently caress these chess metaphors in tv shows

Which episode?

Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 tonight. One of Sorkin’s better projects in ages because there’s not a lot of places he can add in the worst of his bullshit....but he still tries at times. Definitely worth watching anyway, at least for the performances.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Searched West Wing on peacock app and didnt find it...

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Which episode?

Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 tonight. One of Sorkin’s better projects in ages because there’s not a lot of places he can add in the worst of his bullshit....but he still tries at times. Definitely worth watching anyway, at least for the performances.

Hartsfield's Landing - the one where Bartlet plays chess with Sam & Toby and CJ/Charlie get into a prank war

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I still want to see it but remember how I was talking about the good things about Almost Human? Some of those world building hints were in ep1. Every episode of that show gave you a little more and more about the world and had (me at least) intrigued. The last three episodes of AH took some of those seeds and gave us even more: rich people can live in genetically enhanced bodies that are beautiful and young for longer than most lives in beautiful well patrolled ivory towers while the poor huddle around trash cans and get a free "supplement" pill so they don't die and get tagged from early childhood for mental disorders and criminal personalities and can never get out of. Lifetimes of desperation and they are supposed to be thankful for the scraps. Really good foundation that could have been explored for years. Showed ambition and the procedural stuff felt like a coating to help the masses swallow the real pill. Not saying Helstrom couldn't be cool but I wish more shows did that.

Gaunab posted:

I checked out of Lucifer in the second season. I couldn't even hate watch it because it was so goddamn formulaic and repetitive.
Dunno if it helps but I barely made it through season 2 and noped out in 3 for the same reasons. I even got annoyed at the guy playing Lucifer as it just felt so hollywood. Then I started the Netflix seasons and there is something just ... better about it. Maybe it was just the time off but I've been enjoying the Netflix seasons. I would say give them a try and I never went back to season 3 as the latest seasons sum it up well enough.

Khanstant posted:

I didn't see the ending but I remember really liking this moment and wanting to see where it all goes. Though last stuff I remember before I quit watching was some weird poo poo with some idk horny sex demon lady and then some weird faerie realm poo poo. that actually sounds pretty dope now thatr I write it out but at the time I was very ??? about where anything was going.
It was a campy soap opera and revelled in every moment. The last couple of seasons weren't as good and the last season, especially, commited the worst crime of being boring. The ride until then is fabulous.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

swickles posted:

Searched West Wing on peacock app and didnt find it...

HBO Max

Original episodes are on Netflix.

TV reruns are on TNT.

The whole West Wing rights situation is weird.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

blunt posted:

HBO Max

Original episodes are on Netflix.

TV reruns are on TNT.

The whole West Wing rights situation is weird.

The West Wing was produced by Warner Bros., and they licensed the streaming rights to Netflix before HBO Max was conceived.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Escobarbarian posted:

Which episode?

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112?s=19

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man, I always forget how many glorious breadcrumbs Alan Ball leaves in the first season for who the killer is. It's not necessarily enough to figure out who he is too early, but enough to make you see things differently when you watch it a second time. Some dece foreshadowing up in this bitch, like Rene being seated right behind Sookie at Gran's funeral.

tbh when I watch True Blood I usually skip most of S1 to when DAW appears, I'm glad I decided to actually watch from the beginning again this time. It's such a solid first season of television.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 17, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Helstrom's been stripped of basically all Marvel branding that people might notice, so even by the connectivity standards of Marvel Television it's even more of an extreme stretch to say that it's part of the MCU.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is watching Evil and this demon psychologist (or human psychologist in league with demons? I haven't figured it out) is trying to talk some teen into joining 8chan lmao, I think I'm tapping out now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao the specificity of it being 8chan, which is truly despicable even among chans

I almost gotta give props for that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

C-Euro posted:

My wife is watching Evil and this demon psychologist (or human psychologist in league with demons? I haven't figured it out) is trying to talk some teen into joining 8chan lmao, I think I'm tapping out now

Lol your wife is cooler than you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lmfao the demon(?) convinced the kid to shoot up a church and then he accidentally killed himself while getting his arsenal together, I'm back on board now.

E: Played by Ben from LOST too, for that extra creep factor!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 17, 2020