Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

It's personal preference. I liked it on my 1x setup where I didn't have to worry about setting up the front derailleur for varying radius.

The biggest issue is that it's tough to know if you'd prefer it because a) cost and b) limited configuration options. Some rings have slots/multiple holes so you can adjust +/- 10deg. And if you're using 5-bolt cranks, you can rotate the ring in 72deg increments.

But if you have 4-bolt or direct mount, the angles that make sense don't really come up.

And by make sense, I mean what oval rings typically advertise and what this paper I read before I bought my oval:
http://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

(note that the pedaling motion here is with the bike moving to the left, opposite to how bikes are usually posed, with the chainrings facing you)

As marketed, most ovals get the hardest ~70deg before your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg past the top of the stroke.
The paper does some modeling to conclude that it's best if the hardest gearing is 70deg after your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg before top of the stroke.

Outside of 20min of test riding, I've never done it the marketed way, only as recommended by the paper.
Past 80rpm or so, it was hard for me to notice the difference. But it's definitely noticeable and a bit smoother at low cadences.

Also someone in a TT position is going to need different clocking than someone sitting on a MTB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Everyone with the exception of the international orders should have gotten their trash kits by now :getin:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just got back from out of town to find my trashkit waiting for me. Looks and fits great. By far the stickiest arm/leg silicone bands I've ever had. poo poo ain't moving.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just stumbled upon this. Nikolai G1 EBOXX E14. Made in Germany electric bike with:
- front and rear suspension
- bosch electric motor
- rohloff 14-spd electric hub
- gates belt drive

Prices start from 9000€. Jesus... The things companies produce these days....

https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/bike/g1-eboxx-e14/

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I just stumbled upon this. Nikolai G1 EBOXX E14. Made in Germany electric bike with:
- bosch electric motor
- gates belt drive

frame has very strong walmart BSO vibes

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Everyone with the exception of the international orders should have gotten their trash kits by now :getin:

On this note, does anyone want to buy a set of large/large plus a hat? The large bibs are pretty tight on me and wearing just the jersey and hat isn't good enough for me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Tigren posted:

On this note, does anyone want to buy a set of large/large plus a hat? The large bibs are pretty tight on me and wearing just the jersey and hat isn't good enough for me.
im a large man living in canada and this is pertinent to my interests

pm sent

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Trash kit is good kit.

Everyone passed me today, but I was putting in trash miles. When I start passing people, it'll be good to still them trash miles.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

im a large man living in canada and this is pertinent to my interests

pm sent

If you're actually a large man, large is probably not the right size for you. I got medium and am 6'2, 155lbs, and it is on the small side for me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I've got a Large bib that I won't use if anyone is interested, and would be interested if anyone who ordered XL isn't happy with em.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Steve French posted:

If you're actually a large man, large is probably not the right size for you. I got medium and am 6'2, 155lbs, and it is on the small side for me.
im 6'2 and a beefy 185 lbs

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
My small sized bib is also a bit tight but I'm going to make it work. The kit is nice for the price.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I went with medium bibs and a small jersey and both are tight but quite wearable, basically close to the skin but not restrictive. Exactly what I was hoping for really. Sadly it's already very cold here, so they're going to be seeing roller duty until spring.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The arm grippers on the trash miles kit are 4 real, especially if you got fat arms/do curls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

n8r posted:

I remember having biopace rings on a bike as a kid. I couldn't tell the difference.

I ran them on my old MTB that I gave to a friend. I could only really tell when doing a really steep climb on the smallest ring.

For obvious reasons it makes front shifting less smooth and FD adjustment a pain in the rear end.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 18, 2020

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Went out riding on friday on what I was told would be a chill ride with a small group, ended up not being chill at all.

Yesterday was the club ride, I thought I'd stay with the 2nd group due to the previos ride but ended in the 1st because all the top riders decided to join and I ended up sticking with them. We ended up with a kom on a 43km segment. Well, the guy at the front did, I was holding on for dear life not to get dropped.

And today I went out with my wife and her friends on what I was told would another chill ride, 100km. Ended up being 130, and I had to pull the group most of the time, 30°c and headwind on the way back.

I guess I should know better by now that there are never chill rides.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I recently got a Giant Contend 3 that i’m using to ride around NYC. The roads here are pretty trash, so i’m looking to improve the ride somewhat. I think my first step is some 32c tires, but I was also wondering about a cheap carbon fork. Is that the best option? Any that the thread would recommend?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tires will make a far bigger difference than a fork. I really doubt a fork swap is worth it. Get the biggest tires you can fit on there for sure, though.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

n8r posted:

I remember having biopace rings on a bike as a kid. I couldn't tell the difference.

I bought a Miyata 1000LT in 1989 with Biopace rings. After a few months I swapped them out for round rings because they made my knees hurt.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

El Laucha posted:

I should know better by now that there are never chill rides.
ayup. watching your frenemies suffer will always win.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

Tires will make a far bigger difference than a fork. I really doubt a fork swap is worth it. Get the biggest tires you can fit on there for sure, though.

This is one data point, but I went from the stock fairly narrow tubed fork on my Specialized Sequoia to a Comotion rigid MTB fork, and it was very noticeably stiffer, even on 42mm tires, to the point that I went back.

That said, carbon forks are all over the place, and might not be flexier or more comfortable. Also I dunno how cheap of a carbon for you can find with an Overdrive steerer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Head Bee Guy posted:

I recently got a Giant Contend 3 that i’m using to ride around NYC. The roads here are pretty trash, so i’m looking to improve the ride somewhat. I think my first step is some 32c tires, but I was also wondering about a cheap carbon fork. Is that the best option? Any that the thread would recommend?

Forks do matter, but fork compatibility for Giant bikes is meh, and unless you have some reason to believe that a specific fork is actually going to be smoother, I wouldn't think it's worth the money. As Kimbo said, carbon fiber is not necessarily more comfortable - it depends how it was designed.

Definitely focus on tire size and correspondingly lower pressure. What I've seen of NYC roads, they're pretty similar with what I deal with here in Seattle, and I run either 38 or 42mm tires on my commuter just so I don't rattle my teeth out when I'm riding in the dark and can't see potholes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife finished her first century ride today. Wish I’d had a record of it but my bike computer fell off at one point and I couldn’t find it.

Last century ride I did I lost my Abus Bordo flat lock.

Maybe I shouldn’t do century rides

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the fork knowledge, y’all.

I’m also looking to get some new flat pedals. At least for now, i gotta hop off the pedals too many times in a ride for a clip system to be worth it. Should i just go into a local shop and get whatever entry level mountain bike pedals?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Finally got a new bike after my Kona Sutra got stolen. New All-City Gorilla Monsoon GRX - steel 1x11 with a dropper post.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that is a violently good bichael

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks I can’t wait to gravel it up around LA

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Thanks for the fork knowledge, y’all.

I’m also looking to get some new flat pedals. At least for now, i gotta hop off the pedals too many times in a ride for a clip system to be worth it. Should i just go into a local shop and get whatever entry level mountain bike pedals?

Race face chesters are $40-50, come in all the colors, and will last forever. Just back the screws out a bit to save your shoes.

luminalflux posted:

Finally got a new bike after my Kona Sutra got stolen. New All-City Gorilla Monsoon GRX - steel 1x11 with a dropper post.

1x reigns supreme

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm working on getting a steel 1x summer road bike with ~30c tires to join my fatty Kona rove with 1x 47s

Maybe I'll have it by the time the rain stops in June

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

- bosch electric motor
- gates belt drive

I actually kind of want a full suspension ebike with a belt drive. Not 9000 euro want though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 24, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
What's the current go-to chain lube recommendation?

Just used the last of mine and want to be prepared for next time I need to lube up

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
wax

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

X13Fen posted:

What's the current go-to chain lube recommendation?

Just used the last of mine and want to be prepared for next time I need to lube up

DIY wax is the poo poo. I've got over 700k on my chain and it's still clean.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Thirding wax. Massive faff to set up but so easy once it's done.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Wax for dry climates and you don't mind initial set-up.

RnR Gold if you ride in the dry and don't want to deal with cooking chains in a crockpot.

NixFrixShun or Morgan Blue Race Oil for damp/wet climates.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've heard wax isn't good in the wet but it's been pretty wet in London recently and it's been holding up fine. What's the issue?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Cheers guys. Found a local place with NixFrixShun, gonna go with that!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I like rnr gold for dry but recently got a little bottle of Smoove wax and it's been great. Seems a little quieter and it's definitely cleaner.

For super wet nasty stuff I use Finish Line Wet and it's thicc and green and disgusting but it lasts forever in the rain.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The trash miles have arrived in the uk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The trash miles have arrived in the uk!