Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Cause 3 bits can now mean 8 things instead of 6.

Given that 3 bits of information already can represent 8 possibilities, I'd like to see the "math" this guy used to arrive at this result. edit: lol he thinks that normal information represents 2n possibilities instead of 2^n possibilities right???

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHnWPM2dB7g

https://twitter.com/usa0831/status/1316701287132536832

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

GREAT SATAN posted:

So I re-installed this game having not touched it for a couple years and it seems like it runs worse than before? I sort of remember there being a basic one or two places-to-visit mockup of a game that was pretty but lacking content. Now it seems like a full solar system but runs like poo poo.

What do you expect? It's pre alpha.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GREAT SATAN posted:

So I re-installed this game having not touched it for a couple years and it seems like it runs worse than before? I sort of remember there being a basic one or two places-to-visit mockup of a game that was pretty but lacking content. Now it seems like a full solar system but runs like poo poo.

You're just not playing with the right amount of brain worms.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GREAT SATAN posted:

Performance has been steadily getting worse to the point that they just increased the system requirements needed to run the game.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

TontoCorazon posted:

You're just not playing with the right amount of brain worms.

oh, is that hyperthreading?

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

Performance has been steadily getting worse to the point that they just increased the system requirements needed to run the game.

My goodness. I don't know what I expected to hear but if a 1070 6gb and 16gb ram and blahblahblah can't run this game... I'm not sure who they expect to play this game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SC and Bitch Slaps posted:

It dawned on me that there may arise a need in the verse to display the pimp hand. Perhaps you need to muscle a non compliant NPC. Maybe there is a bounty you are hunting and the guy who knows is just being a dick. Or maybe you have caught the mark and he refuses to go quietly into his cryo-pod. Perhaps you are an explorer and you hire a mouthy new lab assistant. Regardless there may be a need to react with some form of this magnificent GIF. Thoughts?

https://media.giphy.com/media/uG3lKkAuh53wc/giphy.mp4

quote:

So NOT PC..... I love it! make it happen CIG!

quote:

I find that knee caps being blown off with mass reactive shells might help them be a bit more compliant.

quote:

Bitch slaps?

If they won't talk openly, I'd prefer to introduce them to my old pals Rusty Pliers and Burnie Blowtorch... They're sure to become very close with one another over the course of the questioning...

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GREAT SATAN posted:

My goodness. I don't know what I expected to hear but if a 1070 6gb and 16gb ram and blahblahblah can't run this game... I'm not sure who they expect to play this game.

1070s have 8GB of VRAM so that's even worse.

Also, have you considered that they don't care if anyone plays the game as long as they keep giving them money? A lot of the design choices seem to be tailored to making things much more tedious than they need to be and it's straight up impossible to earn enough credits to fly some of the more expensive ships before they do a server reset. So the most expensive ships get the least amount of testing because almost no one can afford them irl and no one can buy them with in-game currency.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

1070s have 8GB of VRAM so that's even worse.

Also, have you considered that they don't care if anyone plays the game as long as they keep giving them money? A lot of the design choices seem to be tailored to making things much more tedious than they need to be and it's straight up impossible to earn enough credits to fly some of the more expensive ships before they do a server reset. So the most expensive ships get the least amount of testing because almost no one can afford them irl and no one can buy them with in-game currency.

Albert Einstein posted:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Thing is I'm super willing to give them more money than whatever the start pack cost 2-3 years ago. But the game has somehow gotten much, much worse since then.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GREAT SATAN posted:

Thing is I'm super willing to give them more money

Good god why?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

GREAT SATAN posted:

Thing is I'm super willing to give them more money

:staredog:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GREAT SATAN posted:

Thing is I'm super willing to give them more money than whatever the start pack cost 2-3 years ago. But the game has somehow gotten much, much worse since then.

:thunk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GREAT SATAN posted:

:what:

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

On the condition that the game improved. What's so hard to understand?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GREAT SATAN posted:

Giving money to Croberts under any circumstances including him robbing you at gunpoint.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GREAT SATAN posted:

Why do they need more money?

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Giving money to Croberts under any circumstances including him robbing you at gunpoint.

MarcusSA posted:

Why do they need more money?

Jesus Christ. I literally just popped into the thread to say that the game has regressed since I last played it, several years ago. Ease up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would be happy to give them money if the game was good, seems uncontroversial. It's not, so I won't.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:same:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

GREAT SATAN posted:

Jesus Christ. I literally just popped into the thread to say that the game has regressed since I last played it, several years ago. Ease up.

lol, yeah guys

Ease up on the guy who said he's willing to flush his money down a toilet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Don't worry, though; no one will attribute that stance to malice.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

...! posted:

lol, yeah guys

Ease up on the guy who said he's willing to flush his money down a toilet.

Did you buy a starter pack? How did you ever play Star Citizen?

edit: also, how dare I spend money on a video games. money, that precious resource, every penny of which must be pinched and saved and never squandered. gently caress off you idiot

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GREAT SATAN posted:

Did you buy a starter pack? How did you ever play Star Citizen?

They have free fly weeks/weekends like every other month.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

They have free fly weeks/weekends like every other month.

Cool, I spent $45 in 2017-18-ish. I guess that makes me the bad guy? Whatever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This game will possibly never come out, and when it does it will be NOTHING like what they promised.

This is a huge and obvious grift and no one wants to see you get suckered out of your money.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GREAT SATAN posted:

Ok, but why would you want to give them more money? You can already buy games for that price that are good and actually complete games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, but why would you want to give them more money?

Yeah this.

They 👏do👏not👏need👏more👏money.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Tbh it was obviously a scam by 2016 at the latest

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

GREAT SATAN posted:

I get the sense people are misinterpreting your post as 'I am willing to give them money now' rather than 'I would be willing to give them money if the game was better'. Which was probably meant to emphasize that if they're purposefully making the gameplay loop tedious to promote spending, they're losing out on other customers.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GREAT SATAN posted:

\|/
-x-
/|\

An octa system. Software wise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Star Citizen has one good thing, it makes explaining Sunk Cost really easy.

So people keep giving money to a video game company that hasn't produced a single thing in 8 years except a barely playable alpha? And they think if they give it more money it will come out and literally be like real life?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GREAT SATAN posted:

That's like two years after everyone sensible figured out Star Citizen as promised was vaporware.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

GREAT SATAN posted:

Their real target audience are the whales who are spending five figures on spaceship preorders and are presumably also spending the money to keep a gaming PC on the bleeding edge (got to have the best experience when 1.0 arrives!)

If you just want to spend $60 and play a game? They'll gladly take your money, but don't expect much in return.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Party Boat posted:

If you just want to spend $60,000 and play a game? They'll gladly take your money, but don't expect much in return.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lol

Also quoting myself from like two years ago on whether someone should get into SC

Party Boat posted:

Serious answer - depends if you think the game as it currently exists is worth $50. Worst case scenario is that's all you'll ever get. Best case scenario is they do a no man's sky and release a 1.0 that's flawed and missing a lot of promised content, but provide free updates that make it gradually better (while still being a million miles away from the pr hype)

At the very least I'd wait until 20XX for that 1.0 release

Apparently I was wrong because No Man's Sky now has everything that was promised and more, and SC has gotten worse.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

GREAT SATAN posted:

it wasn't any less of a shitshow scam back then

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No Man's Sky eventually became worth the base purchasing price (though even better at the 50% discounts they run every so often) but I can't possibly imagine that Star Citizen will ever be satisfying to the kinds of people who are imagining it will be a new space dream world they can live in permanently, replacing their real life and letting them do psychotic things to NPCs and other players.

Eventually it's going to get to the point where Croberts and CIG stop giving them new promises or the hope of a new version or tech buzzword around the corner (because they went out of business or it doesn't become profitable enough to keep working on) and they're going to realize it was never worth the amount of money they dropped. I don't know how long it will take but it will be interesting to see the reactions from the true believers.

I mean hell even if it does end up being the best drat space simulation ever it can't possibly be worth more than the purchase price of a normal game. I honestly cannot imagine getting thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of a single video game. Even my top 100 favourite games of all time aren't worth as much to me as some of the packs CIG is selling.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
The ending for Star Citizen is going to be Croberts posting a bullshit tear-post about how CIG is breaking up due to artistical differences and will be taking a step back to evaluate the "gaming climate". Basicallu going "so long, and thanks for the fish".

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They will probably just switch to making a mission based single player game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i remember during the initial kickstarter where people were discussing which ship variants to get based on 'well this one was more of X missiles but this one has more of Y guns' and i was saying guys, the systems in which these things matter do not even exist yet, there is no way to know the value of any of this stuff

turns out the real value was the friends we made along the way