Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hyperlynx posted:

What? Why?

Wolfgang regularly comes to me, when I'm on the computer, so that I can put my chair back and lie him down my chest for cuddles. It's wonderful.

No, no, you misunderstand.

I was in the bath relaxing before he crawled onto me and laid down, leading to me making that post from my phone. I then had the audacity to twitch my foot and the water splashed his paw a little so he jumped off me really fast and scratched my stomach in the process. loving cats, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mistaya posted:

Definitely spot clean his face but it's not like he's gonna drown if you just rinse his chest off under the tap. Water should be room temperature, don't turn the faucet on too hard. Kitten that small can be held in one hand while you use a washcloth to rub him down with the other. I wouldn't plug the sink- there's no need for an actual "bath" there. Dried milk will come right off, you shouldn't even need soap.
Oh, I just meant from the point of view of what's mechanically the easiest, and least likely to make the cat annoyed/struggle/bitey/clawy.

E:

Kitfox88 posted:

No, no, you misunderstand.

I was in the bath relaxing before he crawled onto me and laid down, leading to me making that post from my phone. I then had the audacity to twitch my foot and the water splashed his paw a little so he jumped off me really fast and scratched my stomach in the process. loving cats, man.

OH! Wow, that's amazing!

(I thought you meant you felt you needed to go take a bath because kitty had laid down on you)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Becklespinax posted:

Anyone got any advice for trimming the butt fluff? Mr Spice is doing a great job of getting poop in his fluff and then scooting it along the floor...

I’m thinking towel burrito and then using his mat comb as a barrier between his skin and fluff I can snip off.

Here’s a photo of the cute non-poopy end as thanks

I'd get electric clippers with a guard and just buzz it short. No loving around with scissors or combs, not likely to accidentally cut skin, and easier to use on a wiggly cat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hyperlynx posted:

OH! Wow, that's amazing!

(I thought you meant you felt you needed to go take a bath because kitty had laid down on you)

Yeah, he'll often hop up and walk around on the outside rim of the tub to make sure everything's up to snuff (he'll cry if I shut the door so he can't come check on me), but that's the first time he's decided a great time to cuddle owner is when they're naked in a big water bowl. :frog: Otherwise I wouldn't mind at all, he's soft and purrs so loud you almost can't think, it's great except for his freaky long finger pawbs with an extra fingat dragging litter everywhere even with the fancy mat he has

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, I just meant from the point of view of what's mechanically the easiest, and least likely to make the cat annoyed/struggle/bitey/clawy.

They're programmed to go limp if you scruff them (lightly pinching the loose skin on the back of the neck, like how mom would carry them.) So scruff him with thumb and finger while supporting his butt cupped in your hand if that makes any sense. He's very unlikely to get bitey, he may get a little whappy with the paws but that's why you use the washcloth to protect your valuable fingers. Mostly there's going to be some loud, angry/sad meowing but you can ignore that. :catstare:

The whole process shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cerious posted:

Hey yall I'm considering adopting an adult cat and I'm trying to plan everything out first. I live alone in a small-ish 1b1b apartment with no pets and I've never had a cat before. My main concern with my place is that it's a bit on the smaller side and I don't have much free space. I basically can clear out my coat closet to put a litterbox in there (it doubles as the water heater closet though but thems the breaks). Then I could put up a decent size scratching post by the sofa and maybe another cat furniture tower thing in my living room, but that's basically it for room in my place. And I'm not sure if there's other furniture considerations I would also need to make either?

So basically I'm not sure if I should hold off until I move into a larger place (possibly next year if I buy a house). It seems my other friends with cats make apartments my size work, but unlike them I've kinda stuffed mine up already.

Your plans are fine, cats do fine in small spaces. What tends to be more important for cats is having places to climb and hide if they want - cat towers are popular for that because it lets them climb around and hide from a high vantage point when they want to, which is a lot of the time.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Cythereal posted:

Your plans are fine, cats do fine in small spaces. What tends to be more important for cats is having places to climb and hide if they want - cat towers are popular for that because it lets them climb around and hide from a high vantage point when they want to, which is a lot of the time.

Yeah other than some shelves which is already full of cameras (and I don't really want a cat to knock any of them over... so I'm assuming I'll have to move them to somewhere a little more secure?) I don't really have anything that goes over eye level like dressers or anything. So my assumption with a tower would be that since it's the highest perch around the cat would prefer it over anything else in my apartment.

Also how early should I have everything before I actually get a cat? Are there things that make more sense to get after getting it? I'm going on vacation from mid-Nov to early December so I figure as much as I want to earlier I should only adopt after I'm back. So I've got some plenty of time until then.

cerious fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 18, 2020

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.youtube.com/shorts/6md5EHTdWxI

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cerious posted:

Yeah other than some shelves which is already full of cameras (and I don't really want a cat to knock any of them over... so I'm assuming I'll have to move them to somewhere a little more secure?) I don't really have anything that goes over eye level like dressers or anything. So my assumption with a tower would be that since it's the highest perch around the cat would prefer it over anything else in my apartment.

Also how early should I have everything before I actually get a cat? Are there things that make more sense to get after getting it? I'm going on vacation from mid-Nov to early December so I figure as much as I want to earlier I should only adopt after I'm back. So I've got some plenty of time until then.

Some cats are cautious and will take a little to warm up to a new thing but other than stuff like a litter box and a place to scratch (if you want them to go for that and not your furniture) it doesn’t really matter. Put the cat tree by a window that gets sun if you can and it will get plenty of use.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What is the thread recommendation on hairball-treating foods? Shes only had one hairball and a I have doubled her brushing schedule, but just incase for the future.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I got this liquid cat medicine and it says to give my cat “0.05 mL once per day” and how do I even measure an amount that loving tiny? Do they loving make syringes that measure such small amounts?

Like I’m seriously kinda angry that some stupid rear end pharmacist thought it was okay to give somebody anything that requires a dosage that loving small, esp without even bothering to give me a free syringe to measure it with

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I. M. Gei posted:

So I got this liquid cat medicine and it says to give my cat “0.05 mL once per day” and how do I even measure an amount that loving tiny? Do they loving make syringes that measure such small amounts?

Like I’m seriously kinda angry that some stupid rear end pharmacist thought it was okay to give somebody anything that requires a dosage that loving small, esp without even bothering to give me a free syringe to measure it with

Call your vet/pharmacist and ask. Or go back to the pharmacy and ask for a syringe or dropper or something.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I. M. Gei posted:

They do make teeny ones. Go back to the pharmacy or your vet's. I've never gotten any liquid medicine without a syringe thrown in; it might have been an oversight on the technician's part.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I believe my cat is stinking up the place either with their poops, farts or both. I've read that either can be a bad sign warranting a visit to the vet. I have been using my automatic feeder for 15-16 days now feeding seven meals of 1/8 cup of dry food in two-hour intervals from 7am-7pm. I've been busy and was lazy so I picked up cat food from Walmart which could be the culprit: Purina One Indoor Advantage.

I have not started him back on wet food because I was hoping to break his food-focus when it comes to me moving around the kitchen area. He seems to drink enough water, I got him a fountain but I'm not sure if he uses it, definitely drinks from bowl. I am giving him Greenies as treats to reward him when he's quiet, maximum of eight a day as recommended on box.

The other potential culprit is having not fully changed the kitty litter in 1.5 months. I have thoroughly washed the litter box and fully replaced the litter, set reminder to change every 4 weeks. Plan is to see if issue persists for a couple more days and if so change food. If that doesn't resolve the issue then I'll take a fecal sample to the vet. Any input would be appreciated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A giant cat picture was just discovered among the Nazca Lines

quote:

Workers at the Nazca Lines site recently found the faded, partially eroded outline of a cat stretching across a desert hillside.

The cat joins the ever-growing list of about 900 shapes and images that ancient people etched into the Nazca Desert soil. At 37 meters (121 feet) long, the cat is among the smaller geoglyphs in the desert; some of the largest shapes, down on the flat valley floor, span more than 500 meters (1,600 feet). Like other geoglyphs in the Nazca Desert, the cat’s ancient designers etched it into the ground by clearing away the dark surface sediment to form pale lines.

Geoglyph finds usually take months of trekking through the desert or poring over aerial photos, but the latest one was a happy accident. Workers were making improvements to a path leading up to a hilltop vantage point when they noticed the cat.

Looking at the photos released to the world over the weekend, it’s hard to see how anyone could have missed the image. The lines that form the cat are about 30 to 40 centimeters (12 to 16 inches) wide, after all. But the clear outline in the photos is the product of about a week of cleaning and restoration work.

According to Peru’s ministry of culture, before the work, “the figure was scarcely visible and was about to disappear because it’s situated on quite a steep slope that’s prone to the effects of natural erosion.” Erosion threatens many of the over 900 figures scattered across the dry coastal plain; most of the lines are etched just 10 to 30 centimeters (4 to 12 inches) deep and vulnerable to flash floods, strong winds, or human vandalism.

People created the giant cat figure between 2,500 and 1,800 years ago, according to the chief archaeologists for the Nazca Lines site, Johny Isla.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Corte posted:

I believe my cat is stinking up the place either with their poops, farts or both. I've read that either can be a bad sign warranting a visit to the vet. I have been using my automatic feeder for 15-16 days now feeding seven meals of 1/8 cup of dry food in two-hour intervals from 7am-7pm. I've been busy and was lazy so I picked up cat food from Walmart which could be the culprit: Purina One Indoor Advantage.

What kind of poops are in the litterbox when you scoop it? Solid & normal, or does it look like diarrhea? If it looks liquid-y, yeah, it could very well be the food. Not necessarily the quality (Purina is perfectly fine), but some ingredient in there that he happens to be sensitive to. Or it could just be that you switched food and his body isn't used to it yet - once your cat is used to a certain food, changing it up may upset their stomach, so it's best not to do that if possible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What a day today has been. Caught the cat scooting. I hate that I could tell this, but his butthole looked different. I grabbed the cat and a paper towel, and my wife and I tried (partially successfully) to express his anal glands. He really doesn't like it though so he was screaming the whole time. Gave the dog horrible anxiety, and eventually I think our other cat came to investigate and help him out, because he (as in, the cat who was not swaddled in a blanket and getting his rear end in a top hat squished) started swatting at my wife and got her hand pretty good.

Then as I was keeping an eye on the original cat with the butt problems, he had an interesting shaped poop that I think was also plugging him up. But he did at least poop. I have an appointment with the vet on Wednesday to have them finish the anal gland job professionally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Protocol7 posted:

What a day today has been. Caught the cat scooting. I hate that I could tell this, but his butthole looked different. I grabbed the cat and a paper towel, and my wife and I tried (partially successfully) to express his anal glands. He really doesn't like it though so he was screaming the whole time. Gave the dog horrible anxiety, and eventually I think our other cat came to investigate and help him out, because he (as in, the cat who was not swaddled in a blanket and getting his rear end in a top hat squished) started swatting at my wife and got her hand pretty good.

Wow, that's good cat solidarity. Mine would usually hear one cat hollering bloody murder and come running to slap the cat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Protocol7 posted:

Pet Island> The Cat FAQ/Megathread: I have an appointment to finish the anal gland job professionally.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What kind of poops are in the litterbox when you scoop it? Solid & normal, or does it look like diarrhea? If it looks liquid-y, yeah, it could very well be the food. Not necessarily the quality (Purina is perfectly fine), but some ingredient in there that he happens to be sensitive to. Or it could just be that you switched food and his body isn't used to it yet - once your cat is used to a certain food, changing it up may upset their stomach, so it's best not to do that if possible.

Mostly normal with the occasional diarrhea. I took out the Purina and put in what I have left of the fancier stuff I got from the pet store. I will look into something I can get consistently that hopefully doesn't make my place smell like a hazard zone.

Anyone have advice on most economical way to get healthy cat food in Canada? A friend uses Royal Canin which I was given initially but questioned due to ceaseless food-focus of my cat which in hindsight was probably unrelated. I could arrange to have to shipped monthly for a 5% discount I believe. Alternatives would be to order through Amazon, local pet store chains or maybe vet?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So no thread suggestion on the effectiveness of "anti hairball" diets and food? Ive doubles the brushing regime and I can notice an increase in her appetite since she puked her last.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Corte posted:

Mostly normal with the occasional diarrhea. I took out the Purina and put in what I have left of the fancier stuff I got from the pet store. I will look into something I can get consistently that hopefully doesn't make my place smell like a hazard zone.

Anyone have advice on most economical way to get healthy cat food in Canada? A friend uses Royal Canin which I was given initially but questioned due to ceaseless food-focus of my cat which in hindsight was probably unrelated. I could arrange to have to shipped monthly for a 5% discount I believe. Alternatives would be to order through Amazon, local pet store chains or maybe vet?

My cats overeat Royal Canin, too.

You're in Canada- Acana is a good brand. The packaging is more rah-rah Canada than an Anne Murray concert on July 1st wearing a toque. (Okay, not so much, but they're prouder of the Prairies than anyone I've ever met from the Prairies.)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Gaj posted:

So no thread suggestion on the effectiveness of "anti hairball" diets and food? Ive doubles the brushing regime and I can notice an increase in her appetite since she puked her last.

I mean you can try it but most cats are gonna have hairballs sometimes, it's just a cat thing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

cat gonna cat, cat gonna bleeaaayyaaaat on the mat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Speaking of hair, one of our dumbasses apparently went ham on the hair from a recent deshedding. When I changed out the litter robot the poops were full of white cat hair

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Len posted:

Speaking of hair, one of our dumbasses apparently went ham on the hair from a recent deshedding. When I changed out the litter robot the poops were full of white cat hair

When I brush my cat I have to put the hairballs away right quick or she'll eat them. I guess it's an instinct not to leave cat-smell things lie around.

necroid
May 14, 2009

pidan posted:

When I brush my cat I have to put the hairballs away right quick or she'll eat them. I guess it's an instinct not to leave cat-smell things lie around.

yeah mine has never coughed up a hairball in her whole life (at least not in my presence), but if I let her smell clumps of her own hair or her fallen-off whiskers she tries to eat them immediately

she cleans herself a lot so I have no idea where the ingested hair ends up

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Does anyone have experience with giving steroids to their cat for an extended period of time?

We think my cat has IBD and the vet prescribed a liquid steroid for life. It’s too hard and torturous for both of us to try and grab her, every single day, forever, and inject it in her mouth. The vet wants me to do that but the pharmacist said it would be fine if I mixed it in her food and she ate it over a few hours. It’s not refrigerated so I don’t see the problem in it sitting out.

I guess I just want to see if anyone has dealt with this and have any advice about either getting her to eat more of it faster, or just general advice on administering drugs and IBD.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ugh I think I need to take my cat to the vet. The reason why Im asking about hairball foods is that shes been acting weird for a week. By weird I mean she acts completely normal in all things, except now she just cut her own food intake by half. Normally she gets 6oz of food a day and runs around like a healthy normal cat. But today and yesterday shes mostly uninterested in food and eats her 30z puck of breakfast over the course of the entire day. Her shits look the same size and consistency but shes basically only eating 1 meal a day and her gut feels a bit firm. I dont know if this is a hairball issue or she ate something she shouldn't have.

\/\/\/\ GOD FUCKINT DAMNITT. I put down some treats for her as a test, a good portion size, and she just gobbles them up still wont touch her food. I think shes just become a picky eater and is being a super dick about it. I shoved a treat into her wet food and she ignored that one while eating the kibble around her wet food. If this is just my cat being a dick and wanting new food

Gaj fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 20, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah if your cats' eating habits change suddenly get to the vet ASAP. Cats are very good at hiding pain so warning signs can be subtle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Does anyone have experience with giving steroids to their cat for an extended period of time?

We think my cat has IBD and the vet prescribed a liquid steroid for life. It’s too hard and torturous for both of us to try and grab her, every single day, forever, and inject it in her mouth. The vet wants me to do that but the pharmacist said it would be fine if I mixed it in her food and she ate it over a few hours. It’s not refrigerated so I don’t see the problem in it sitting out.

I guess I just want to see if anyone has dealt with this and have any advice about either getting her to eat more of it faster, or just general advice on administering drugs and IBD.

I had to give my old boy thyroid pills for the last couple years of his life, but pills may be easier than liquid. Immediately after the pill I'd give him his favorite treats, so he'd come to tolerate the pills to get his treats faster.

For mixing with food, could you mix the medicine with just a tablespoon of food? Then once she eats that give her the rest of her food.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Facebook Aunt posted:

I had to give my old boy thyroid pills for the last couple years of his life, but pills may be easier than liquid. Immediately after the pill I'd give him his favorite treats, so he'd come to tolerate the pills to get his treats faster.

For mixing with food, could you mix the medicine with just a tablespoon of food? Then once she eats that give her the rest of her food.

I’ve been trying that but the smell puts her off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I’ve been trying that but the smell puts her off.

Maybe something with an even stronger smell? Does she go nuts for tuna juice? A teaspoon of tuna juice might work.

Though a teaspoon of salty tuna juice every day might have it's own problems IDK.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So uh, after some experimentation, my cat is willing to eat everything else but her regular food. Shes been eating the same food for 2 months no problem. Its Blue Buffalo Salmon and she adored it when I first got it for her. But it seems shes totally uninterested in it, even if I use cans from different batches. Just switch to a new food?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, sounds like a case of "is cat". Mine also prefers to switch flavors every couple months.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

necroid posted:

yeah mine has never coughed up a hairball in her whole life (at least not in my presence), but if I let her smell clumps of her own hair or her fallen-off whiskers she tries to eat them immediately

she cleans herself a lot so I have no idea where the ingested hair ends up

Into her poo :eng101:

That's what the vet told me is the natural, preferred way to get rid of the hair.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hmmm yeah Im taking her to the vet tomorrow. She either has constipation or a big hairball, even though she just upchucked one 3 weeks ago. Shes still only eaten half her dinner, so 1/4 of her daily food intake but her belly feels full. Nothing hard or firm but just like she at a lot of wet food. When I manhandle her stomach she doesnt react negatively. But she still hasnt pooped yet. Otherwise shes still zooming after the laser and meowing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the goon zeitgeist on dust-free clumping litter that doesn't track? We just finished switching our two cats onto Arm and Hammer lightweight clump & seal, and it's amazingly easy to scoop but we're seeing dusty paw prints on the couch. Preferably clay litter, we have sifter pans.

Bonus points if it's in a container with a handle but I'm okay with whatever.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MJP posted:

What's the goon zeitgeist on dust-free clumping litter that doesn't track? We just finished switching our two cats onto Arm and Hammer lightweight clump & seal, and it's amazingly easy to scoop but we're seeing dusty paw prints on the couch. Preferably clay litter, we have sifter pans.

Bonus points if it's in a container with a handle but I'm okay with whatever.

A combination of Dr. Elsey's Ultra litter and these litter mats https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKRD4KW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has gotten tracking to basically zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

A combination of Dr. Elsey's Ultra litter and these litter mats https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKRD4KW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has gotten tracking to basically zero.

Nifty, thanks! I've got the litter boxes on a carpet remnant so it gets most of the kicked-out litter, but those mats look like they might help more than that.

How dusty is the Ultra Litter?