Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope we get a little DM mode later on in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Same, with two modes: True 5E and BG 5E: one uses the data from the PHB the other uses the Larian stuff, like firebolt’s burning/surface/1d6. That way everyone can do normal DnD things like leafing through the PHB and junk.

I would be so happy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
rescued the druid guy and he said he would heal me tomorrow and then tomorrow he does nothing , is this a incomplete quest or did i break something?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

rescued the druid guy and he said he would heal me tomorrow and then tomorrow he does nothing , is this a incomplete quest or did i break something?

You have to talk to the leader of the tieflings first, that triggers an event to let the story continue. He's not in his usual place behind the door, i think he is above the gate.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Any word on when more classes/subclasses come out?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jokes posted:

Same, with two modes: True 5E and BG 5E: one uses the data from the PHB the other uses the Larian stuff, like firebolt’s burning/surface/1d6. That way everyone can do normal DnD things like leafing through the PHB and junk.

I would be so happy.

I would not be surprised if this wasn't a mod almost immediately if they don't make it themselves.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I want a Storm of Zehir style expansion where it's a remix sandbox of the game areas except you roll around just fighting and looting with your own generated party. You could easily expand the race potential since there's no need to write responses to goblins or whatever.

They have a fun tactical d&d implementation and sometimes I just wanna loot and fight.

Storm of Zehir also has the best implementation of a party dialogue system I've seen yet. Everyone present has their portrait shown at the top, and you can switch between them to easily check out if anyone has any skill checks or other special options available. Very convenient and sensible.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Huh, really curious what the explanation for Auntie Ethel saying the tadpoles are affected by Netherese magic. I thought that made sense at first, in that it had something to do with Ioulaum, who turned himself into an undead elder brain, but she mentioned shadow magic. I thought in 5e the shadovar were dead and the city of Shade was toast?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Aurubin posted:

Huh, really curious what the explanation for Auntie Ethel saying the tadpoles are affected by Netherese magic. I thought that made sense at first, in that it had something to do with Ioulaum, who turned himself into an undead elder brain, but she mentioned shadow magic. I thought in 5e the shadovar were dead and the city of Shade was toast?

We really don't know or have any idea what could possibly be going on with the tadpole at this point. The "thirst for blood" comment at the end of the EA makes me think it's a vampire thing but that might be from Anastarion's thing. The gith are looking for a weapon, specifically an orthogonal one (?) and Lae'Kel is convinced it's the tadpole. It's apparent the tadpole isn't a normal tadpole pretty early on.

It's also worth noting what the colors/animations are all about from the special abilities you get after banging your head-husband or whatever. They're red and black, sort of tentacle-y, with miasma coming out. Who knows what's going on there, since mindflayers aren't usually down with black and red aesthetics.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lae'zel and Shadowheart don't like each other, If you like something Lae'zel likes Shadowheart will almost always disapprove.

That sounds really childish of them

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

goblin week posted:

I'm pretty sure both are actually teenagers or something?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 19, 2020

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

goblin week posted:

Her chosen name is Shadowheart. That's not a name a mature person gives themself.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I just found out Solasta: Crown of the Magister early access comes out tomorrow. Sounds fun to compare the different styles, but do I really want to start a third early access D&D game ?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm hoping Larian implements Reactions in better. Hellish Rebuke went from a great spell to not worth the spellslot.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm hoping Larian implements Reactions in better. Hellish Rebuke went from a great spell to not worth the spellslot.

Yeah, they have to come up with some interesting solutions to systems that's easily handled at a table, eg. paladin smites and diviner portent.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

jokes posted:

We really don't know or have any idea what could possibly be going on with the tadpole at this point. The "thirst for blood" comment at the end of the EA makes me think it's a vampire thing but that might be from Anastarion's thing. The gith are looking for a weapon, specifically an orthogonal one (?) and Lae'Kel is convinced it's the tadpole. It's apparent the tadpole isn't a normal tadpole pretty early on.

It's also worth noting what the colors/animations are all about from the special abilities you get after banging your head-husband or whatever. They're red and black, sort of tentacle-y, with miasma coming out. Who knows what's going on there, since mindflayers aren't usually down with black and red aesthetics.

The weapon they're looking for is in Shadowheart's inventory

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

You also have to go to camp to rest once or twice and that triggers the celebration scene, where you can find him and he'll point you where to go next.

(Spoilers for later on in the act} Am I just a huge scrub or does the difficulty shoot up sky high in the back half of this act, once you can get into the Underdark? I just tried the twin minotaurs and I honestly have no idea how I'm supposed to win that fight, they have enormous HP, controlling spells don't seem to work on them and they two shot my level 4 dudes every turn. Same with the phase spider fight which I just gave up on eventually. Maybe I just made a hash of building my team or something?.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

BurningCourage posted:

(Spoilers for later on in the act} Am I just a huge scrub or does the difficulty shoot up sky high in the back half of this act, once you can get into the Underdark? I just tried the twin minotaurs and I honestly have no idea how I'm supposed to win that fight, they have enormous HP, controlling spells don't seem to work on them and they two shot my level 4 dudes every turn. Same with the phase spider fight which I just gave up on eventually. Maybe I just made a hash of building my team or something?.

I think we're supposed to be lvl 5 when we go to the Underdark. The fights seems very gnarly atm.
The phase spider cave is more like a tutorial on using terrain. You can destroy the web bridges when the boss stands on them or use knockbacks for massive fall damage.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Lima posted:

Yeah, they have to come up with some interesting solutions to systems that's easily handled at a table, eg. paladin smites and diviner portent.

Definitely. I'll give Larian credit in that they're taking on a massive task, not only in terms of scale but translating the mechanics. I'm looking forward to see how they handle NPC's reacting to Necromancy. Me and Gale waltzing into town with a zombie swarm to sell off garlic :v:

Like as an example and I guess leak spoilers, I was wondering why Duergar weren't implemented yet as a playable race given all the Dwarf assets are already in-game. Then I remembered that Duergar get a racial Enlarge. I'm not a dev but I imagine that's something that sounds easy to implement but is probably deceptively hard (not just as simple as *Upscale Model x 2*).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Devorum posted:

Her chosen name is Shadowheart. That's not a name a mature person gives themself.

When I entered the temple of Selune with her, she game me sudden flashbacks of a "Satanist" I knew in highschool.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If they do put Minsc in as anything more than a fanservice cameo, like Volo, how is he still alive. Also why does no one address the latter, Volo included. l I'll also like to see if they don't play his mental illness for humor, but have the tadpole pretend to be Boo or something. Alternatively make it a Flowers for Algernon scenario.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aurubin posted:

If they do put Minsc in as anything more than a fanservice cameo, like Volo, how is he still alive. Also why does no one address the latter, Volo included. l I'll also like to see if they don't play his mental illness for humor, but have the tadpole pretend to be Boo or something. Alternatively make it a Flowers for Algernon scenario.

Clearly he took levels in warlock with the Miniature Giant Space Hamster patron to prolong his life.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aurubin posted:

In the recent IDW Baldur's Gate comics a wild sorcerer's spell accidentally brought a statue of Minsc and Boo to life. It's unclear if that was the actual Minsc and Boo petrified for centuries, or just a statue of them that is now just alive, but either way they're running around and fighting evil again.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Aurubin posted:

I read that he was petrified for some time in one of the official comic books or something.

Also, what if Boo was actually infected with the tadpole and one of the endings will see him become the sole victor of the power promised by the Absolute :black101:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

blizzardvizard posted:

I read that he was petrified for some time in one of the official comic books or something.

Also, what if Boo was actually infected with the tadpole and one of the endings will see him become the sole victor of the power promised by the Absolute :black101:

At Waukeen's Rest, directly opposite the archway that leads to the barn there's another archway which leads to a little garden. At the end of the garden (I think there may be a Perception check to spot it) there's a little handbill on the ground lamenting that a cherished Statue of a Ranger holding a hamster has been stolen from Baldur's Gate and imploring the thieves to return it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FiddlersThree posted:

At Waukeen's Rest, directly opposite the archway that leads to the barn there's another archway which leads to a little garden. At the end of the garden (I think there may be a Perception check to spot it) there's a little handbill on the ground lamenting that a cherished Statue of a Ranger holding a hamster has been stolen from Baldur's Gate and imploring the thieves to return it.

majestic

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Gonna suck if they go for the ol' Larian "realism" and if/when the Elturian tieflings make it to BG they're persecuted or just plain denied entry. Alternatively unceremoniously killed on the road to close that thread

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Lima posted:

I think we're supposed to be lvl 5 when we go to the Underdark. The fights seems very gnarly atm.
The phase spider cave is more like a tutorial on using terrain. You can destroy the web bridges when the boss stands on them or use knockbacks for massive fall damage.

Yeah I knew about the webs in the spider fight, I take it down from two but then the spoder enrages, teleports and just starts one shotting my dudes while I'm also being swamped by mini spiders because I can't figure out how to get to all the eggs and kill them in stealth without eventually being spotted :sigh:.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

MonikaTSarn posted:

You have to talk to the leader of the tieflings first, that triggers an event to let the story continue. He's not in his usual place behind the door, i think he is above the gate.

He died in the battle and I can't seem to progress. Welp.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aurubin posted:

Gonna suck if they go for the ol' Larian "realism" and if/when the Elturian tieflings make it to BG they're persecuted or just plain denied entry. Alternatively unceremoniously killed on the road to close that thread

I mean they are extremely going to be shunned or denied entry

Baldur's Gate hates Elturians in general, and as of this time has been dealing with a refugee 'crisis' of their own of Elturelians showing up after their city you know fell into the nine hells and all. This is not going to go well for them at all.

Mostly The Flaming Fist are notorious assholes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

BurningCourage posted:

Yeah I knew about the webs in the spider fight, I take it down from two but then the spoder enrages, teleports and just starts one shotting my dudes while I'm also being swamped by mini spiders because I can't figure out how to get to all the eggs and kill them in stealth without eventually being spotted :sigh:.

I got three party members to start the encounter while my rogue went around out of combat smashing eggs and setting up barrels of fun before joining themself. Not exactly sporting of me but Larian encounter design sort of encourages some degree of cheese, no?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BurningCourage posted:

A couple things to help with that fight in particular:

Potions of Poison Resistance are cheap and you'll find them randomly around the world and in vendor inventories.

There's a spider egg sac you can find at the Harper tower cache, it spawns a bunch of temporary spiderling pets.

You can snipe some of the adult phase spiders before engaging the matriarch

There's a rare spear that does +2d6 damage against "creatures with multiple pairs of eyes" which I assume is spiders, it also blinds on hit. You get it by combining the spear haft and blade found on the body of the True Soul guy and in the owlbear lair nearby. I haven't used it yet on this run but I'm pretty sure it would be helpful.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

A couple things to help with that fight in particular:

Potions of Poison Resistance are cheap and you'll find them randomly around the world and in vendor inventories.

There's a spider egg sac you can find at the Harper tower cache, it spawns a bunch of temporary spiderling pets.

You can snipe some of the adult phase spiders before engaging the matriarch

There's a rare spear that does +2d6 damage against "creatures with multiple pairs of eyes" which I assume is spiders, it also blinds on hit. You get it by combining the spear haft and blade found on the body of the True Soul guy and in the owlbear lair nearby. I haven't used it yet on this run but I'm pretty sure it would be helpful.

Funnily enough I did manage to assemble that spear when playing earlier, so could try that. Didn't find the Harper tower but having spider pets sound useful for this. Maybe it would be easier to snipe the adult spiders yeah, as I just can't figure out a route to all the eggs to kill them. I'm in the Underdark now anyway via the Zhentarim entrance so it's now no longer necessary a fight, at least. Thanks for the spider pet tip though, that might come in handy if I knew where that tower was.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BurningCourage posted:

Funnily enough I did manage to assemble that spear when playing earlier, so could try that. Didn't find the Harper tower but having spider pets sound useful for this. Maybe it would be easier to snipe the adult spiders yeah, as I just can't figure out a route to all the eggs to kill them. I'm in the Underdark now anyway via the Zhentarim entrance so it's now no longer necessary a fight, at least. Thanks for the spider pet tip though, that might come in handy if I knew where that tower was.

The Harper tower is close to the beginning, near the crashed nautiloid.

Adjacent to the crashed nautiloid to the northwest you can jump down to a little nook by the water and there's a chest under a rock there. Near where you first find Astarion. It has a document (?map?) that starts a mini quest to find a Harper cache by a tower. The tower is northeast of the nautiloid, you jump up some small cliffs. There's not much up there, but near the campfire opposite the tower there's a little mound thing where you can pass some skill checks and get the spider egg sac. Pretty sure that's single-use, but it's probably a good ace in the hole for a tough fight.

In general it's a good idea to pay close attention to white areas on the minimap. There are tons of hidden areas, usually you spot them on the minimap then find a way to jump over to them.

For example, I only found the actual harpy nest on my second character, it's tucked away from where you actually fight the harpies. It's got a cool ring in it.

I haven't really done anything in the Underdark yet, though I know there are at least three different entrances.

There really is a lot of depth to this game so far. Every encounter has a bunch of different ways to complete which is refreshing. It actually makes you think strategically rather than just brute forcing combat.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 19, 2020

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
The underdark is beautiful.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Turds in magma posted:

The underdark is beautiful.

Yeah. I poked my head in a couple different places and decided to finish up as much of the rest of the map as possible first before going there.

How much playtime/content is in the Underdark compared to the rest of the EA?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There's no less than four entrances to the Underdark so plenty of ways to get there! One in the Goblin camp, one you find in the Hag's dungeon, one in the room with the Spider Matriarch (Needs Feather Fall) and another in the Zhentarim hideout in Waukeen's Rest. The Zhentarim one is the easiest to get to imo.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
tbqh, i'd rather not have minsc as a full party member. statue that thinks it is minsc might be fun, but, like, the character had their time years ago.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

tbqh, i'd rather not have minsc as a full party member. statue that thinks it is minsc might be fun, but, like, the character had their time years ago.

I'd be ok with it but if they introduce more party members later into the game I think it'd be a good idea to increase the party size. I know they had tons of late game companions in the original but they were intended to be disposable. It'd feel odd to bench an origin character mid-way through the game.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It'd be cool to do what some classic crawlers did which was you had x core party members and then y number of extra slots of recruited npcs who might leave. So a compromise on the 4 tadpole character party is 2 slots for extra characters who aren't full members and have less story and won't be permanent.