Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tequila production is something that requires insect meat, so there's a new use for that.

From a resource efficiency standpoint the soups are outstanding, the only downside is that it 1) can require massive pre-planning or 2) require a decent stockpile or 3) they're supplements to a normal meal production chain and 4) power fluctuations can be nasty. Time spent cooking is also way less since each soup (other than gourmet) makes 10 servings but basically is the same nutrition as the next better tier of normal meal (i.e. a Lavish soup which makes 10 Lavish soups for consumption takes the same nutrition as making 10 fine meals).

Making and utilizing the individual condiments is finicky, I agree. I normally go with Spices for my day to day gourmet meals (because manipulation is great), stick Insect Jelly Preserves into gourmet desserts (for the extra mood boost), and then gourmet cocktails get things like crushed luciferium for the blood filtration bonus as a "drink this in case of infection."

I do enjoy the different crops, especially with the Expanded events. Psychic rain counts as rain for the snap peas! Weirdly enough, wargs are able to eat the hot peppers as food.

The stew mod is nice as you can use insect meat or human meat without issue, but otherwise it's meh. The sushi one adds little imo, it's fluff entirely. The apparel series is as bloated as Apparello (sp). I'm not sold on the lasers mod while there's weapons expanded within the same overall grouping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you don't like where your anima tree is located you can try to move it. After a logging accident I decided to try to get it to sprout an entirely enclosed grotto in the corner of my mountain map. It will try to respawn away from artificial structures, and you can use that to steer it. Nature shrines have the same limitations as the distance limitations as the tree, so I placed (but did not build) nature shrines so I could spot check that every possible spawn location except the grotto had something man made within the green circle. Then I dug out the grotto to be larger in case it needed a minimum space requirement, but I think that was unnecessary.

The red line shows where doors and things won't cause trouble, so I was able to add doors so most of the walk to the grotto is indoor and temperature controlled. Torches and campfires don't make the tree mad, so I put in lighting so meditators wouldn't complain about the dark. I smoothed all the stone and added some nature shrines for decoration so they wouldn't complain about an unsightly environment. (You can't build sculptures, but you can build as many decorative shrines as you want.) Folks mediating tend to stand there for a couple hours, so making it as pleasant as possible is worthwhile.

If I had it to do over I wouldn't mine out so much space in the grotto. If it was smaller I'd be able to roof over the meditation spots themselves while still keeping them in range of the tree, so folks wouldn't complain about getting caught in the rain while meditating. As it is I'd have to build supports to build more roof and that doesn't work out.

Later I mined out the area next to the grotto. Just have to be careful to leave enough natural supports because you can't build supports. And it does create a hazard where bugs could spawn in the mineworks and possibly dig through to the grotto. They won't spawn in the grotto itself because it is outside.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What the heck, Koneinora?

They want to take 3/4 of my population for half a year. What kind of harvest are they trying to gather?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Facebook Aunt posted:

What the heck, Koneinora?

They want to take 3/4 of my population for half a year. What kind of harvest are they trying to gather?
Yeah,but you'll get a warhammer!

Uuugh. The problem with playing Rimworld until 2 AM is that I make stupid mistakes and get my whole fort wiped by mad ducks during a solar flare. In my defense, it was a lot of ducks.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

From a resource efficiency standpoint the soups are outstanding, the only downside is that it 1) can require massive pre-planning or 2) require a decent stockpile or 3) they're supplements to a normal meal production chain and 4) power fluctuations can be nasty. Time spent cooking is also way less since each soup (other than gourmet) makes 10 servings but basically is the same nutrition as the next better tier of normal meal (i.e. a Lavish soup which makes 10 Lavish soups for consumption takes the same nutrition as making 10 fine meals).

One thing to keep in mind with soups is that while one batch will produce a lot more servings, each individual serving isn't as filling as a meal. At least the simple and fancy ones, something I discovered when I briefly went to all soup all the time and couldn't figure out why my people just seemed to always be hungry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Also, probably most importantly, there's no practical way to actually control the amount of soup you have. The soup pot itself is just set to accept everything, so if you tell the kitchen to "produce until you have 50 simple soup starters" or whatever, it just means your stockpiles will be overflowing with an infinite flood of soup. They're great for making pretty thin amounts of food last for longer, but the whole module is for the most part pretty choked with crap.

I think out of the entire vanilla expanded suite, only books, plants, security (barbed wire is amazing), and spacer furniture (the illuminated tables and dressers) seems to be the most worthwhile additions. Maybe the extra power generation buildings too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

The soup pot itself is just set to accept everything, so if you tell the kitchen to "produce until you have 50 simple soup starters" or whatever, it just means your stockpiles will be overflowing with an infinite flood of soup.

I'm laughing at the image of pawns desperately fleeing a tidal wave of soup bursting out of the freezer.

For the most part the Vanilla Expanded series is there to just add some more stuff to do, and can otherwise be safely ignored if you don't want to deal with it. The only one I've turned off after using is the clothing one, but I could see it being fun when you get to the point where pawns have just one task they do because then you can micromanage their outfits to maximize their work time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m finally branching out from All Temperate Forest All the Time and man is it weird to go from wildlife everywhere to barely any in arid shrubland.

At least due to mods I have pack giraffes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Soups have become a "covers about 90% of meals" at equilibrium thing. In big colonies it takes some fiddling, but setting a limit of 3 soups made keeps thing nice and not overflowy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m finally branching out from All Temperate Forest All the Time and man is it weird to go from wildlife everywhere to barely any in arid shrubland.
My son suggested playing in Boreal Forest for the extra wild animals, and I like it a lot. Get a couple of harvests of potatoes in, you're good to go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

hopeandjoy posted:

At least due to mods I have pack giraffes.

haygrass-fueled chickens are pretty much a requirement if your biome doesn't include the word "forest"

it kind of sucks, really.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I've found that using the Seeds Please mod really makes you think about how to manage your crops.

Did a Vikings start and raided a colony to find a field of slow growing bearberries, and no seeds in the stockroom, which made food uncomfortable for a while, especially considering the lack of tech for a freezer.

Additionally I use the Real Fog of War mod so I can't see animals if my pawns don't have LoS which means hunting expeditions are a thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

haygrass-fueled chickens are pretty much a requirement if your biome doesn't include the word "forest"

it kind of sucks, really.

Is it even chickens anymore with the changes to slaughtering?

Cows might be better combining their slaughter and milk production.

Chickens take 0.56 nutrition per day and yield one egg (0.25 nutrition) every 2 days.

Cows take 1.36 nutrition per day and yield 0.9 milk per day.

Chickens can populate up rapidly, which is a major plus. They take... 20ish days to mature in contrast to a cow's closer to 30? The main difference is gestation, eggs are only a few days while it'll take a bit over 1 quadrum to birth a cow.

But then a slaughtered chicken (12 meat + 50% means 18 meat) compared to a cow (180 meat + 50% means 270 meat plus 60 plain leather + 50% or 90 plain leather).

For flexibility, chickens arguably win. But for inputs vs. outputs, I think cows are better these days.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

Also the quarry mod can get you chunks.

The new way the underground scanner works you can just blob down a drill anywhere and drill for chunks indefinitely. I sort of remember that this used to be also in the earlier way it functioned on empty underground vein but cannot promise it works. So basically the first unlock for underground drills is unlimited stone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Is it even chickens anymore with the changes to slaughtering?

Cows might be better combining their slaughter and milk production.

Chickens take 0.56 nutrition per day and yield one egg (0.25 nutrition) every 2 days.

Cows take 1.36 nutrition per day and yield 0.9 milk per day.

Chickens can populate up rapidly, which is a major plus. They take... 20ish days to mature in contrast to a cow's closer to 30? The main difference is gestation, eggs are only a few days while it'll take a bit over 1 quadrum to birth a cow.

But then a slaughtered chicken (12 meat + 50% means 18 meat) compared to a cow (180 meat + 50% means 270 meat plus 60 plain leather + 50% or 90 plain leather).

For flexibility, chickens arguably win. But for inputs vs. outputs, I think cows are better these days.

Your numbers make sense to me, but I've always had a very difficult time getting cattle at any kind of scale. You basically have to buy most of your cows since their gestation and maturation period (which is, keep me honest, something like another 2-3 quadrums to adulthood/productivity?) is quite long, and many merchants just don't stock cattle.

Chickens you really just need two mating pairs and inside of a year you can have a functionally infinite number of chickens.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 19, 2020

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Muffalo used to be the best ranch animal: can be domesticated from wild herds, yields wool and milk, and can be used as pack animals. They recently removed the milk part, which is fair I guess, and gives cows back their own niche.

These days the only animal I keep around are horses for caravaning but I'll even phase those out once I've got drop pods/farskip/royal transport shuttles online for transport.

EDIT: and huskies for hauling, of course. One of the first things I do after getting refrigeration up is to make a corpse locker, set up my zones, grab a mating pair of huskies, and most of my hauling needs are freed up for the rest of my game.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 19, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you want utility in your milk animals, you can train dromedaries to guard, they're fast(ish) pack animals, and camelhide has some niche uses over plainleather (including heat resistance on par with devilstrand.)

Just, uh, make sure you get them from taming on caravan trips or buying them. Don't try to raise any yourself, birth to maturity is basically a full quadrum. :pseudo:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 19, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The best farm animals are T-rex's since they'll go out and murder wildlife for you, potentially bringing back thousands of meat in its lifetime.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Muffalo used to be the best ranch animal: can be domesticated from wild herds, yields wool and milk, and can be used as pack animals. They recently removed the milk part, which is fair I guess, and gives cows back their own niche.

These days the only animal I keep around are horses for caravaning but I'll even phase those out once I've got drop pods/farskip/royal transport shuttles online for transport.

EDIT: and huskies for hauling, of course. One of the first things I do after getting refrigeration up is to make a corpse locker, set up my zones, grab a mating pair of huskies, and most of my hauling needs are freed up for the rest of my game.

I really dislike keeping any volume of animals that have wildness >10% so dromedaries, muffalo, etc - I'll happily take a couple, especially if they self tame, but if there's more than 3 or so I'm gonna start looking to cut a few throats. Unless you have someone who like, won't do dumb labor and is only capable of Animals, I can't think of a time when the bandwidth maintaining taming is better than time spent doing something else.

Consequently, I like huskies, I like chickens, I like donkeys. I don't like wild boar, I don't like cobras, and I don't like muffalo - despite all of these being typically easier to obtain because they're on a lot of wild spawn tables.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 19, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Donkeys are the MVP animal. They're horses but better in every way that matters.

Edit: Fuuuuck it, I'm getting a mod that lets me increase tech level by researching enough. Neolithic starts are fun as hell but being stuck at 1/2x research speed when doing ANYTHING just sucks

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 19, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Not really much point in keeping wild boar now anyway. They used to be haulers that were pretty good at defending themselves (and making GBS threads everywhere) but they don't haul anymore. You can raise them for meat, but there are lots of choices for meat animals.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Donkeys are the MVP animal. They're horses but better in every way that matters.

Edit: Fuuuuck it, I'm getting a mod that lets me increase tech level by researching enough. Neolithic starts are fun as hell but being stuck at 1/2x research speed when doing ANYTHING just sucks.

Try Tech Advancing. It lets you advance up a level when you research every technology in that "age." So to become Industrial, you have to have all Medieval-level techs. My previous colony before my current one used a modded race that apparently didn't have any technologies configured and that mod kept my sanity intact.

Neolithic desert starts are not fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Try Tech Advancing. It lets you advance up a level when you research every technology in that "age." So to become Industrial, you have to have all Medieval-level techs. My previous colony before my current one used a modded race that apparently didn't have any technologies configured and that mod kept my sanity intact.

Perfect, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you.

On the subject of modding for small games, is there one that turns off single pawns making passes at married ones? I swear, all it takes is one horndog who can't take no for an answer and we've got like a permanent -20 malice on half the loving fort until I finally manage to play matchmaker. I don't mind if they're getting shot down because they're a creep or whatever, I just want them to respect the ring.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Niiiiiiiight shiiiiiiiift

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Niiiiiiiight shiiiiiiiift
Yeah, I know, I know. I'm just lazy.

My current modlist is pretty tame. Harmony, RimHUD, EdB Prepare Carefully, Replace Stuff, Caravan Lag Eliminator, Forced March (I like sending caravans, so sue me), and now Tech Advancing.

Most of the stuff is just nice little tweaks, but I could not go back to playing this game without RimHUD.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Now that I've talked up cows after looking them up I'm gonna try a cow focused ranching colony with hauling nightlings (for night crew) and huskies (for day crew). Maybe just do a run where I got a breeding pair of huskies, 4 nightling eggs, 2 cows, and a bull at start.

Hmm 1 cow at ~15 milk a day is enough for 3 fine meals, so like 1.5 pawns. That means I'd need to get on it, quick, to populate up. 1.36 nutrition per cow per day... if I go the corn planting route getting ~1.1 nutrition every 20 days, that's 25 corn plants, unless I make it into simple meals and get the 80% nutrition gain. That's about 31 simple meals, which would take just under 16 nutrition, or about 15 corn plants per cow without grazing.

Haygrass in contrast gives 18 hay per 12 days growing, or .9 nutrition. Gets to about needing 19 plants per cow to feed until the next cycle, stacks higher than corn, lasts longer, but is not usable by pawns. I wouldn't be making kibble unless there were insects, and they're not really sustainable anyway.

Planting fuckloads of corn just looks better for feeding everyone with simple meals (and fine meals for the pawns when needed) rather than doing haygrass/kibble shenanigans.

Once those animal handlers get good and get 18 milk a day consistently, that's 3.6 fine meals of animal products a day, so 10 cows (and 1 bull) for a 36 person colony really isn't that much.... but it would probably need an 18x18 corn plot to sustain the ranching keeping in mind stocking for the winter, feeding some to pawns and hauling animals, etc., on a place that allows close to 2 corn growth cycles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Unless its been changed, sometimes even nightshift doesn't seem to work as creepy rear end pawns will waltz up to a sleeping pawn and try to hit on them.

DoubleNegative posted:

If you use a lot of mods that add a bunch of research options, you're gonna want to go into the mod options and drastically drop the "if research x% of this tier, advance one tier"

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Leal posted:

If you use a lot of mods that add a bunch of research options, you're gonna want to go into the mod options and drastically drop the "if research x% of this tier, advance one tier"

This is very true! Some mods aren't put together well and require Spacer-level tech as the baseline for three more that are Industrial-level.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I really dislike keeping any volume of animals that have wildness >10% so dromedaries, muffalo, etc - I'll happily take a couple, especially if they self tame, but if there's more than 3 or so I'm gonna start looking to cut a few throats. Unless you have someone who like, won't do dumb labor and is only capable of Animals, I can't think of a time when the bandwidth maintaining taming is better than time spent doing something else.

Consequently, I like huskies, I like chickens, I like donkeys. I don't like wild boar, I don't like cobras, and I don't like muffalo - despite all of these being typically easier to obtain because they're on a lot of wild spawn tables.

Elephants are worth the time spent maintaining taming.

Their wildness is high, but they can do everything and do it very well. They're big sacks of HP that are excellent at combat and can carry insane amounts on caravans; I think they're the only animal that has this combination of features (horses are good at combat, but nothing like an elephant). They even nuzzle people. They're a little more wild than horses but are better in most other ways. Also, baby elephants sell for a lot (but you're a monster if you actually sell one, I will happily butcher and eat human raiders by the thousands and turn their skin into fancy coats but I draw the line at separating a baby elephant from its family).

I ran an arid shrublands base that kept getting elephants on the map and I trained a few. They're surprisingly good to have around

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How are you supposed to butcher an elephant when you realize you don't have enough food to see them all through the next growing season and need to cull the herd? I wouldn't have the heart.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Elephants can eat simple meals or even nutrient paste.

If the colonists can eat, so can the elephants.

If the colonists exist, the elephants can eat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you're not growing enough haygrass for your elephants then just burn down your colony and start a new game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

If you're not growing enough haygrass for your elephants then just burn down your colony and start a new game
:hmmyes:

Speaking of farming, what size plots do y’all usually go for? My current standby is 8x8s with the gap between to stop Blight spread (you only lose your entire Devilstrand crop to that poo poo once before you learn your lesson.) That’s not super space efficient, though, since it’s literally less than half the available land actually being used for farming. Obviously fertile soil patches change things somewhat, but all else being equal, how do y’all tend to roll? (Especially in temperate climates where sun lamps aren’t a concern.)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Speaking of farming, what size plots do y’all usually go for? My current standby is 8x8s with the gap between to stop Blight spread (you only lose your entire Devilstrand crop to that poo poo once before you learn your lesson.) That’s not super space efficient, though, since it’s literally less than half the available land actually being used for farming. Obviously fertile soil patches change things somewhat, but all else being equal, how do y’all tend to roll? (Especially in temperate climates where sun lamps aren’t a concern.)

11x11 because that's the maximum individual square inside walls and roofs and fits a sunlamp pretty well. gently caress toxic fallout, gently caress cold snaps, gently caress heat waves, etc. I build those into squares of four fields and dot them around wherever. It fits all climates.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

moot the hopple posted:

You can even have the huskies sleep in the freezer if you want, their temperature range stat is a bit silly

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

HelloSailorSign posted:

Now that I've talked up cows after looking them up I'm gonna try a cow focused ranching colony with hauling nightlings (for night crew) and huskies (for day crew). Maybe just do a run where I got a breeding pair of huskies, 4 nightling eggs, 2 cows, and a bull at start.

Hmm 1 cow at ~15 milk a day is enough for 3 fine meals, so like 1.5 pawns. That means I'd need to get on it, quick, to populate up. 1.36 nutrition per cow per day... if I go the corn planting route getting ~1.1 nutrition every 20 days, that's 25 corn plants, unless I make it into simple meals and get the 80% nutrition gain. That's about 31 simple meals, which would take just under 16 nutrition, or about 15 corn plants per cow without grazing.

Haygrass in contrast gives 18 hay per 12 days growing, or .9 nutrition. Gets to about needing 19 plants per cow to feed until the next cycle, stacks higher than corn, lasts longer, but is not usable by pawns. I wouldn't be making kibble unless there were insects, and they're not really sustainable anyway.

Planting fuckloads of corn just looks better for feeding everyone with simple meals (and fine meals for the pawns when needed) rather than doing haygrass/kibble shenanigans.

Once those animal handlers get good and get 18 milk a day consistently, that's 3.6 fine meals of animal products a day, so 10 cows (and 1 bull) for a 36 person colony really isn't that much.... but it would probably need an 18x18 corn plot to sustain the ranching keeping in mind stocking for the winter, feeding some to pawns and hauling animals, etc., on a place that allows close to 2 corn growth cycles.
You can make the corn into simple meals to feed the cows -- they have large enough nutrition bars that there's no wastage, so it ends up being more efficient.

Unless you feed them nutrient paste instead, which is even better.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

You can even have the huskies sleep in the freezer if you want, their temperature range stat is a bit silly

Yeah but, this is accurate for Huskies - I'm of the opinion that people who have Huskies and Malamutes (and similar) in places that see 85F and up weather sufficiently enough that the dogs are out in it a decent amount of time have the wrong dogs. Check out videos of lounging sled dogs in particular.

Plot size varies, and honestly I eye-ball it most times. Healroot I'll do like a 3x8, cotton 6x8, then corn of 10x15 or so. Terrain changes their shapes from more square to more rectangular. As the colony grows, size grows and for some things I'll plop down a 20x20 (or more likely, 2x 10x20 rectangles to make an L shape).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShadowHawk posted:

So can labradors. They are comfortable down to -30C now. They are a bit smaller than huskies, produce a little less meat and leather if butchered (you monsters), a little less DPS, and 25% less hunger. 5 labradors is gonna be better than 4 huskies in most situations. For frigid biomes huskies are still better, but in warm biomes it's mostly a matter of which one I get access to first.

PMush Perfect posted:

Devilstrand is immune to blight. So you can initially leave paths at least 4 wide between crop fields, then infill with devilstrand when you research it. Though having periodic firebreaks is worthwhile too.

I don't have a standard size. At first the fields are fairly small and separated because in the first year or two losing any food hurts. In later years the fields get bigger. It also depends what it is. I have a 14 * 15 psychoid field, but even if the whole crop was lost to blight or fire it would be a minor setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

moot the hopple posted:

Where are you guys getting huskies and cows from early in the game? I'm seeing that the merchant who sells domestic animals shows up fairly rarely.