Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Takes No Damage posted:

Good videos so far. I never played Demonssssssssssouls myself, only watching Squint's playthrough way back when. Cool to see someone run through it for the first time, but also appreciative of you cutting out redundant content i.e. most of your bloodstain runs.

Yeah I figure people get it after they see it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, that was certainly a way to fight the Tower Knight. He's not difficult to beat head-on, though. Obviously, you want to start by running past him, up either staircase, and then going around the upper ledge and taking out all of the archers. You're pretty safe from the Tower Knight's attacks up there, because I don't think his magic will ever get past the crenellations. Once you've dealt with the archers, the Tower Knight is the completely archetypal "big guy what falls when you attack its legs". Get behind him and whack at his ankles until they spew whatever that green stuff is that drives him, and eventually, he'll fall down. Ideally, he'll fall in such a position that you can hit his helmet, which will do considerably more damage. Admittedly, dodging the attacks while you're that close can be tricky. The backwards jump is the big one to watch for, since it leaves you scrambling to get behind him while avoiding his attack area. Most of the rest of the attacks can only hit you if you're in front of him, or too close to his legs when he slams his shield on the ground. Rolling away to a safe distance is probably second nature by now, though. If you have trouble getting past him, baiting an attack that you can dodge should give you an opening, and remember that you can get between his legs if need be. The safe spaces are the little rooms at the top of either staircase - I don't think it's possible for him to damage you there in any way, so you have time for whatever inventory or equipment management you might want to do.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Well, that was certainly a way to fight the Tower Knight. He's not difficult to beat head-on, though. Obviously, you want to start by running past him, up either staircase, and then going around the upper ledge and taking out all of the archers. You're pretty safe from the Tower Knight's attacks up there, because I don't think his magic will ever get past the crenellations. Once you've dealt with the archers, the Tower Knight is the completely archetypal "big guy what falls when you attack its legs". Get behind him and whack at his ankles until they spew whatever that green stuff is that drives him, and eventually, he'll fall down. Ideally, he'll fall in such a position that you can hit his helmet, which will do considerably more damage. Admittedly, dodging the attacks while you're that close can be tricky. The backwards jump is the big one to watch for, since it leaves you scrambling to get behind him while avoiding his attack area. Most of the rest of the attacks can only hit you if you're in front of him, or too close to his legs when he slams his shield on the ground. Rolling away to a safe distance is probably second nature by now, though. If you have trouble getting past him, baiting an attack that you can dodge should give you an opening, and remember that you can get between his legs if need be. The safe spaces are the little rooms at the top of either staircase - I don't think it's possible for him to damage you there in any way, so you have time for whatever inventory or equipment management you might want to do.

Yeah that's what I figured. The lock on reticle even targets his ankle specifically. I'm guessing this is one fight that will be de-cheesed in the remake. If I was able to figure out how to kill him with the bow with total impunity on my third attempt, many other people probably found it out as well over the years. Maybe his spear attack will get an arc or they'll tweak how the aoe of it works. Or maybe he'll get a new attack where he just calls down doom from the sky or something.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Prisoner Problems

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I was waiting for that fall, and it didn't disappoint. Most people come at that gap the other way, chasing the lizard, and by the time they see it falling, they've already joined it.

By the way, the thing you picked up near the dragon and didn't notice at the time was the Ring of Giant Strength, the proto-Havel's Ring that raises your equipment limit. I don't think it's nearly as essential in this game as Havel's was, just because I spend almost the entire game wearing the Cling Ring anyway.

The Silver Bracelet is the reason that, for me, step one of this game is "Create a female character". Dispensing with gendered equipment was a huge improvement in the later series.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

I was waiting for that fall, and it didn't disappoint. Most people come at that gap the other way, chasing the lizard, and by the time they see it falling, they've already joined it.

By the way, the thing you picked up near the dragon and didn't notice at the time was the Ring of Giant Strength, the proto-Havel's Ring that raises your equipment limit. I don't think it's nearly as essential in this game as Havel's was, just because I spend almost the entire game wearing the Cling Ring anyway.

The Silver Bracelet is the reason that, for me, step one of this game is "Create a female character". Dispensing with gendered equipment was a huge improvement in the later series.

This is an area the remake will probably improve in as well. And speaking of rings I'm wondering if they'll let us wear 4 at a time like DS2 & 3. Or maybe adjust how soul form works to something closer to DS2 where your HP gradually scales back (I think that's how it worked anyway). What the Cling Ring offers is tough to pass up a lot of the time, which maybe limits experimentation for a lot of players.

I'll also take a torch by the time I defeat Phalanx or more reasonable lighting in the remake, Bluepoint.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

To answer your question about your bloodstain: it absolutely stays where you died last until you either die again or pick it up. You theoretically could die at the tower knight, decide to complete the entirety of valley of defilement in one go without dying (somehow), and return to tower knight to find your stain still waiting for you.

Also I feel dumb for never trying fire on the ball of bodies enemy! Wow, kinda obvious in hindsight. I always just chipped away at it for much longer than apparently necessary.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

liquidypoo posted:

To answer your question about your bloodstain: it absolutely stays where you died last until you either die again or pick it up. You theoretically could die at the tower knight, decide to complete the entirety of valley of defilement in one go without dying (somehow), and return to tower knight to find your stain still waiting for you.

Also I feel dumb for never trying fire on the ball of bodies enemy! Wow, kinda obvious in hindsight. I always just chipped away at it for much longer than apparently necessary.

Good to know, thanks. Fire definitely helped a bit against that enemy, though on the way back I found that two handing our crushing axe +1 without the turpentine worked almost as well. He does seem highly magic resistant, so I wonder how much the Enchant Weapon spell might help, if at all. If we see another (or I die again) I'll try to remember to give it a shot.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - To Save a Sage

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - He Caused Me Trouble

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Having to refight the Fool's Idol is one of those parts of the consummate Demon's Souls experience you just can't miss. I think you picked up all of the tricks during the fight - if you've got good enough spatial awareness, you can memorize the positions of the stun traps when the magic circles appear, but avoiding them is another matter. I generally just deal with them - high Magic Defense is the way you want to prepare, and there's a lot of timing so that if you do get stunned, you have a good chance of escaping without damage. You can tell the difference between the real Fool's Idol and the fakes by looking at the beams they shoot - the real one shoots the wide, staticy looking beam. I like to move around the edges, where the columns block many of the shots, and take out all of the fakes each round. I thought any ranged attack would be enough, but it looked like your single arrow didn't do the job. Soul Arrow has always worked for me. Once you can get a bead on the real body with nothing in the way, two-hand your strongest weapon and go for the full offense. Once you score a hit, she won't counterattack, and you can attack as many times as your stamina allows before she disappears. Also, the Baby's Nail is close to impossible to pick up after the fight, since approaching it triggers the cutscene that takes you up to the Archstone, so if you want it, pick it up during the fight.

Also, note the difference between Moonstone and Darkmoonstone. They're different upgrade paths, and the stones you picked up in this video won't work on the Crescent Falchion.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I also want to point out something in the smithing upgrade tree, since you appeared to skim by while mainlining your new battleaxe to +5. Hopefully you noticed, but when you were at +3, prepping to click on the +4 upgrade, your axe had a few branching paths. Probably worth noting that +3 and +6 are kind of branch milestones, so you'll see further upgrade paths at that point instead of just immediately on a fresh weapon. I want to say more, and cover the subject of boss soul weapons, but it's still a little too early to give you specifics on those :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Having to refight the Fool's Idol is one of those parts of the consummate Demon's Souls experience you just can't miss. I think you picked up all of the tricks during the fight - if you've got good enough spatial awareness, you can memorize the positions of the stun traps when the magic circles appear, but avoiding them is another matter. I generally just deal with them - high Magic Defense is the way you want to prepare, and there's a lot of timing so that if you do get stunned, you have a good chance of escaping without damage. You can tell the difference between the real Fool's Idol and the fakes by looking at the beams they shoot - the real one shoots the wide, staticy looking beam. I like to move around the edges, where the columns block many of the shots, and take out all of the fakes each round. I thought any ranged attack would be enough, but it looked like your single arrow didn't do the job. Soul Arrow has always worked for me. Once you can get a bead on the real body with nothing in the way, two-hand your strongest weapon and go for the full offense. Once you score a hit, she won't counterattack, and you can attack as many times as your stamina allows before she disappears. Also, the Baby's Nail is close to impossible to pick up after the fight, since approaching it triggers the cutscene that takes you up to the Archstone, so if you want it, pick it up during the fight.

Also, note the difference between Moonstone and Darkmoonstone. They're different upgrade paths, and the stones you picked up in this video won't work on the Crescent Falchion.

liquidypoo posted:

I also want to point out something in the smithing upgrade tree, since you appeared to skim by while mainlining your new battleaxe to +5. Hopefully you noticed, but when you were at +3, prepping to click on the +4 upgrade, your axe had a few branching paths. Probably worth noting that +3 and +6 are kind of branch milestones, so you'll see further upgrade paths at that point instead of just immediately on a fresh weapon. I want to say more, and cover the subject of boss soul weapons, but it's still a little too early to give you specifics on those :v:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks guys.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Unchained

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

When your equipment is at low durability, there's a status icon in the top left that shows which piece it is. The one you had looked like the Silver Circlet. It's easy enough to confirm in the menus, but that's not always convenient.

Effect stacking is kind of weird in this game. As you noticed, the Fragrant Ring stacks with the Crescent weapon effect. In general, two different sources of the same effect will stack, but you can't stack two copies of the same source. As I understand it, and I haven't tested this independently, this means that if you have two Crescent weapons at the same level and equip one in each hand, you'll only get the effect of one, but if they're at different levels, the effects will stack.

Good job successfully navigating pretty much every trap in this area. It took me a long time to make my way through there, and the shortcuts are sparse. I'd like to believe that the spiral you climbed is some kind of weird shortcut if you jump off the right way, but it's hard to imagine that they would have done something like that intentionally, and it's also hard to believe that the tentacle is climbable by coincidence, so I don't know what to think. I climbed the other spiral and never found anything worthwhile, so I think they're just weird bits of atmosphere that happen to work like terrain until they don't.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

When your equipment is at low durability, there's a status icon in the top left that shows which piece it is. The one you had looked like the Silver Circlet. It's easy enough to confirm in the menus, but that's not always convenient.

Effect stacking is kind of weird in this game. As you noticed, the Fragrant Ring stacks with the Crescent weapon effect. In general, two different sources of the same effect will stack, but you can't stack two copies of the same source. As I understand it, and I haven't tested this independently, this means that if you have two Crescent weapons at the same level and equip one in each hand, you'll only get the effect of one, but if they're at different levels, the effects will stack.

Good job successfully navigating pretty much every trap in this area. It took me a long time to make my way through there, and the shortcuts are sparse. I'd like to believe that the spiral you climbed is some kind of weird shortcut if you jump off the right way, but it's hard to imagine that they would have done something like that intentionally, and it's also hard to believe that the tentacle is climbable by coincidence, so I don't know what to think. I climbed the other spiral and never found anything worthwhile, so I think they're just weird bits of atmosphere that happen to work like terrain until they don't.

Yeah it was a pretty janky climb. Maybe at one time during the game's development you were intended to be able to do or find something up there, but it ultimately didn't make it into the final product.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Maneaten

Regarding an enemy in the video: I did notice the Maneater boss freak out at one point at 22:20 in the video. Not sure what the catalyst for that was.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Maneater use that buff before, but that's what you saw a couple of times. You might notice the yellow cloud around it afterward.

Leechmonger is kind of a weird boss, as bosses go. It's a first-area boss, so it's not very strong, but the Valley of Defilement is such a horrible area to get through that most players will have done just about everything else before getting to it, meaning that they're much stronger than likely intended. I could have that backwards, though, since it is indeed a damage race where you're constantly taking damage from the leeches and Leechmonger is constantly healing from the leeches. The path to the bottom spirals down and has some barriers you can hide behind if it throws leeches at you on the way down. Once you're down there, it's mainly just a matter of doing as much damage as possible and surviving. The Regenerator's Ring is a huge help, and this is one of the few times when I think fire damage is more effective than magic by enough of a margin to be worth using over the Crescent Falchion. The Epee Rapier you got in the Tower of Latria should be a fire weapon, if you want to save Turpentine. There are also safe spots at the ends of the various tunnels around the room, although there's less breathing time than against most bosses if you're covered in leeches. I don't think there's a way to get rid of them aside from waiting them out, but I guess you could... try rolling?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Maneater use that buff before, but that's what you saw a couple of times. You might notice the yellow cloud around it afterward.

Leechmonger is kind of a weird boss, as bosses go. It's a first-area boss, so it's not very strong, but the Valley of Defilement is such a horrible area to get through that most players will have done just about everything else before getting to it, meaning that they're much stronger than likely intended. I could have that backwards, though, since it is indeed a damage race where you're constantly taking damage from the leeches and Leechmonger is constantly healing from the leeches. The path to the bottom spirals down and has some barriers you can hide behind if it throws leeches at you on the way down. Once you're down there, it's mainly just a matter of doing as much damage as possible and surviving. The Regenerator's Ring is a huge help, and this is one of the few times when I think fire damage is more effective than magic by enough of a margin to be worth using over the Crescent Falchion. The Epee Rapier you got in the Tower of Latria should be a fire weapon, if you want to save Turpentine. There are also safe spots at the ends of the various tunnels around the room, although there's less breathing time than against most bosses if you're covered in leeches. I don't think there's a way to get rid of them aside from waiting them out, but I guess you could... try rolling?

Yeah maybe I didn't roll enough to get the leeches off, not sure. And thanks for the reminder about the epee. I intended to check it out but forgot we picked it up. It's nice they give you another regen ring to get through the poison swamp, but now that I think about it, it's almost a slap in the face if you went to Valley first, only to pick it up immediately after the boss where it would have been extremely helpful.

As for Maneater - interesting didn't realize he was buffing himself. Still a good opportunity to get some damage in it seems, but I'm hoping by the time I come back there I'll be strong enough to have one mostly dead before the second shows up, making my life potentially much easier.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Swampy Surroundings

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - The Action Heats Up

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
[REDACTED FOR THREAD SPIRITS]

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 1, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I have to say that the above comment seems way too leading and well outside the spirit of this LP.

So that's all the bosses of Stonefang Tunnel. Definitely one of the easier Archdemons to deal with first, although I tend to put more preparation into Flamelurker than I do some of the other tier 2 bosses. Obviously, the more fire defense you can muster, the better. Flame Resistance, Water Veil, armor and shield with high stats - it's all good. Magic damage seems to be the way to go, as far as I can tell, and the best place to stand is just far enough behind him that you can roll out of the way of the big explosive attacks. If you've played Dark Souls and dealt with the Stray Demon or Firemage Demon, you have most of the skills you'll need. The main difference is that Flamelurker can lunge about halfway across the room for a devastating overhead attack. If you dodge it, that's probably the best time of all to counterattack, since there's no area effect. As the fight drags on, Flamelurker heats up more and more, but I don't remember whether that damages you purely through proximity or it just buffs his attacks. The Regenerator's Ring can help to offset the chip damage, including the times when you'll inevitably find yourself standing in magma, but by this point, you're probably swimming in Grasses and can keep up with healing that way. This is the fight when I switch from Crescent to Half Moon Grasses, just to help with that. As for safe spaces - there are no guarantees, but the sides of the staircase near the exit are a bit more sheltered, and there's a ribcage to the left of the entrance (as you enter) where you can sometimes hide and trick Flamelurker into lurking by the fog wall, where he can't hit you. For more style points, you can try to trick Flamelurker into that gap and try to find an angle to toss Soul Arrows and cheese him completely. Otherwise, the room is long enough that if you get him to one end and run to the far end, you've usually got a few seconds to do some quick menu manipulation or whatever else you need.

The Dragon God is indeed a gimmick fight, and it's nice to see that there is, in fact, an amount of health high enough to survive a misstep. You got lucky there, though - usually, I get trapped between his claws, so even if I survive the initial impact, I'm just trapped until the follow-up fire breath. The key is high physical damage, particularly blunt damage. A strong Mace or Club, two-handed, is probably the best choice, although if you can get a good angle, you can blast the rubble with magic. If you watch the Dragon God's movements carefully, you can dart out and attack the rubble while he's looking the other way, then get back under cover. I recommend planning to swing and reverse course rather than trying to make it through in one go - you've always got a safe route behind you. If you're hidden, he'll just never attack, aside from that initial punch that shatters the window, so safe spaces are abundant. After you fire the first ballista, he'll go through a few cycles of recoiling in pain periodically, giving you a bit of extra time to make progress. It seems to be based on time, rather than progress, so you'll waste that window if you take too long. The last pile of rubble on the stairs is pretty much the final obstacle - if you get to the second ballista, you're in the clear. Any weapon will damage the horn, and if you can hit it from outside the range of the fire breath, there's zero threat whatsoever. Even running in for a swing or two with the Crescent Falchion between breaths isn't difficult.

To address a couple of your speculations - piercing weapons are indeed effective against the lizardmen. There was a developer message at the start of the area that was a hint for that, but it's hard to make the association at the time, and by the time it becomes meaningful, it's easy to forget it was there. This means that backstabs or the first strong attack with Straight Swords do proportionally more damage, and the Pickaxe is highly effective, which is why it's sold there. Magic, however, completely ignores their high defense. The giant worms are also weak to magic, but any attack to their head does about ten times the damage. If you swing just right as they're appearing, you can hit them with your melee weapon, but it's a separate target, which makes it easy to hit them with any ranged attack. Finally, I don't believe that most fire weapons scale with Magic. The Epee Rapier is an exception.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks for the analysis. Sounds like I was mostly in a bit less danger during the Dragon God fight than I thought, but that's what first experiences in games like this are all about I suppose.

As for the 'above comment,' it was redacted before I could see it so all's well that ends well I guess.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Burrowing Further Down

As I mentioned I might do at the end of the video, I did end up looking up the boss souls that I currently have. There were of course some minor spoilers which I'll keep to myself. Next time we'll start putting some of the souls to use so we can see some new stuff.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 1, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

As I assume you've learned, judging by your comment, there's no reason not to hand over the Red Hot Soul. I have no idea why Ed doesn't notice that you have it until you've exhausted his normal dialogue - if you don't visit him enough distinct times during the game, you might just never know that he wants it, although he does have a line earlier where he mentions that he wants it specifically. It's that, or eat it for Souls. I guess not even Fromsoft could let you throw away such a vital soul by turning it into a spell.

I want to say that the Crescent upgrade requires a very high level, like +8, but I'm probably thinking of a different upgrade that I always used. It is the case that not all upgrades are available to every type of weapon. The upgrade stones list the applicable types of weapons in their description. Crescent may be restricted to curved swords, daggers, possibly katanas, and other dexterity-based weapons.

For the record, while Blessed weapons scale with Faith, and thus won't likely do much for you, they have an HP recovery effect similar to the MP regeneration of Crescent weapons. This information isn't likely to change your upgrade decisions, but the effects of upgrades don't seem to be added to the weapon descriptions, so it's helpful to know.

Finally, I don't think you were doing anything wrong with the Bearbugs. They're just giant buckets of HP with pretty high defense. Magic seems to do significantly more damage, at least. The Crescent Falchion is nice for that because, in addition to all of its other excellent qualities and that lovely flip, it has a Bleed effect, and Bearbugs are one of the very few enemies that will survive enough hits to suffer the effect. Time it right, and you can run away before they die and be even safer from the explosion.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Man, I was so worried you'd missed that interaction with Patches by beating Flamelurker. Good to know he still hangs out with that bugbear trap, even if the Dragon God is dead.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Accidentally mostly avoiding the trap aside, this Patches wasn't too bad. I was fully expecting to get kicked into the lava river or something.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Bamboozled Once Again

Turns out I may be a bit of a prophet. :arghfist:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Adjudicator is the boss I recommend most players fight first, after Phalanx. Not only is the Crescent Falchion on the way there, but if the skeletons are still too intimidating, there's a shortcut that must have been intended - from the top of the staircase where you get the Copper Key, you can roll to the gap in the wall across the way and drop down to where the Regenerator's Ring is. You skip more or less the entire level, and nothing of value is lost. Adjudicator is also not too difficult. I'm told it's possible to stand at the top of the room and attack the bird from range, but I have no idea how to avoid the tongue, and the floor collapsing under you can cause severe problems. As long as Adjudicator is in the center of the room, you can circle to the right to avoid all of his attacks (or roll to the left if you're caught off guard), and even early in the game, one hit shouldn't kill you outright. He turns slowly enough that you can get in healing or a quick trip to the menu from behind his back. I think you can also hide near one of the staircases, if worse comes to worst. If he moves toward a wall and you don't have room to circle, get to the far side of the room to lure him out. The rest is just aiming for the wound on his stomach and then the bird. I had no idea fire was so effective, but your Dragon Long Sword is +4, so it's no surprise.

Ah, Patches. I don't remember him showing up there when I first played the game, but I don't remember whether that's because I had killed him earlier, or because I'd beaten the next boss before finding that spot, or because he was actually there and I just forgot, but I'm sure I just jumped down the hole myself. You might now recognize the healing aura you pointed out the last time you saw him - he has the Adjudicator's Shield equipped. The Black Phantom down there is usually my first, and it's easy enough to defeat with just a shield. I always used to leave a "The next enemy is weak to shields" message down there as a hint.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Adjudicator is the boss I recommend most players fight first, after Phalanx. Not only is the Crescent Falchion on the way there, but if the skeletons are still too intimidating, there's a shortcut that must have been intended - from the top of the staircase where you get the Copper Key, you can roll to the gap in the wall across the way and drop down to where the Regenerator's Ring is. You skip more or less the entire level, and nothing of value is lost. Adjudicator is also not too difficult. I'm told it's possible to stand at the top of the room and attack the bird from range, but I have no idea how to avoid the tongue, and the floor collapsing under you can cause severe problems. As long as Adjudicator is in the center of the room, you can circle to the right to avoid all of his attacks (or roll to the left if you're caught off guard), and even early in the game, one hit shouldn't kill you outright. He turns slowly enough that you can get in healing or a quick trip to the menu from behind his back. I think you can also hide near one of the staircases, if worse comes to worst. If he moves toward a wall and you don't have room to circle, get to the far side of the room to lure him out. The rest is just aiming for the wound on his stomach and then the bird. I had no idea fire was so effective, but your Dragon Long Sword is +4, so it's no surprise.

Ah, Patches. I don't remember him showing up there when I first played the game, but I don't remember whether that's because I had killed him earlier, or because I'd beaten the next boss before finding that spot, or because he was actually there and I just forgot, but I'm sure I just jumped down the hole myself. You might now recognize the healing aura you pointed out the last time you saw him - he has the Adjudicator's Shield equipped. The Black Phantom down there is usually my first, and it's easy enough to defeat with just a shield. I always used to leave a "The next enemy is weak to shields" message down there as a hint.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that shortcut you mentioned as it'd be really useful for future playthroughs, presumably including the remake. As for the phantom, does bleed buildup become an issue at low levels even if you're blocking with a 100% physical resist shield? Or does he end up killing himself with his own weapon before that could ever happen (assuming his katana even causes bleed)?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't remember ever having an issue with Bleed from that phantom. I don't know whether status effects went through shields in this game, or whether that began in Dark Souls. Your Bleed gauge will decrease over time, but the phantom never recovers HP, so I'm pretty sure you'd outlive it. Worst case, you should have plenty of healing available by this time, and Bleeding doesn't reduce the effectiveness of healing. Even just wearing the Regenerator's Ring would probably counter it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Sonic BOOOOM

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nice job with the rest of the area. I think you said most of what I could possibly say. You found the Farming Spot (TM), figured out how to work with the Old Hero's blindness (the Thief's Ring does, in fact, make you nigh invisible to him, although I think magic is more effective than fire, hence the glut of Sticky White Stuff), and handled the Storm King fairly effectively as well. The Storm Ruler is famous for a few interesting attributes, among them the null stat requirements (because if you couldn't use it, you'd be really screwed), the whopping TEN points of Durability (which take forever to decrease because you're not generally hitting anything solid with it), and enough knockback to send the victim of an invasion all the way back to King's Field. It does indeed do slightly more damage with two-handed swings. The Storm King has about five targetable spots, but as far as I've ever been able to tell, there's no difference other than how you aim. It can be hit with other ranged attacks, once you've cleared out enough Storm Beasts to bring it down to attack, so if you prepare properly, you can ignore the Storm Ruler altogether. There's only one potential reason to do that, though, and you may be able to guess what it is.

A bit of friendly advice that I hope won't go amiss: Never warp to the Storm King's Archstone. The Old Hero's Archstone is about thirty steps away and comes with 200% less regret upon use.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Nice job with the rest of the area. I think you said most of what I could possibly say. You found the Farming Spot (TM), figured out how to work with the Old Hero's blindness (the Thief's Ring does, in fact, make you nigh invisible to him, although I think magic is more effective than fire, hence the glut of Sticky White Stuff), and handled the Storm King fairly effectively as well. The Storm Ruler is famous for a few interesting attributes, among them the null stat requirements (because if you couldn't use it, you'd be really screwed), the whopping TEN points of Durability (which take forever to decrease because you're not generally hitting anything solid with it), and enough knockback to send the victim of an invasion all the way back to King's Field. It does indeed do slightly more damage with two-handed swings. The Storm King has about five targetable spots, but as far as I've ever been able to tell, there's no difference other than how you aim. It can be hit with other ranged attacks, once you've cleared out enough Storm Beasts to bring it down to attack, so if you prepare properly, you can ignore the Storm Ruler altogether. There's only one potential reason to do that, though, and you may be able to guess what it is.

A bit of friendly advice that I hope won't go amiss: Never warp to the Storm King's Archstone. The Old Hero's Archstone is about thirty steps away and comes with 200% less regret upon use.

Sounds like I got lucky with the Old Hero since I usually roll with the Thief's Ring and often forget to take it off even when I know I'm going into a boss room. While I'm not necessarily for being able to kill bosses in a super cheesed manner like I did with Tower Knight, it was a bit disappointing that Demon's Prank didn't seem to do anything. In fact, that spell has been a bit underwhelming so far, but there's probably a clever use for it somewhere in the game. Regarding Storm Ruler, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that pulling it out affects world tendency somehow. I haven't checked on that in a bit, actually.

Sounds like all the critters respawn when you leave and come back, which seems likely to end in a spiky bombing run as soon as you load in.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Storm Ruler doesn't affect World Tendency, but you're right about the Storm Beasts.

I never messed with Demon's Prank much, although I use Aural Decoy in several strategic parts of Dark Souls. But I do have an idea of why it seems to be underperforming. From my experience, it effectively causes the enemies to react as if you were in the target location for a few seconds. You've been wearing the Thief's Ring most of the time, so maybe the enemies can't see "you" even at that range. I can't imagine I'm right, but it wouldn't surprise me too much. It's probably one of those mechanics that they refined in the later games.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nidoking posted:

Storm Ruler doesn't affect World Tendency, but you're right about the Storm Beasts.

I never messed with Demon's Prank much, although I use Aural Decoy in several strategic parts of Dark Souls. But I do have an idea of why it seems to be underperforming. From my experience, it effectively causes the enemies to react as if you were in the target location for a few seconds. You've been wearing the Thief's Ring most of the time, so maybe the enemies can't see "you" even at that range. I can't imagine I'm right, but it wouldn't surprise me too much. It's probably one of those mechanics that they refined in the later games.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it out again sometime making sure I don't have the Thief's Ring on.

If Storm Ruler doesn't affect world tendency, then I'm not sure what good leaving it alone is. Maybe there's a Playstation trophy for doing the fight without it? Either way I intend to do a lot of research on the wiki after the playthrough is finished.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

rojovision posted:

That's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it out again sometime making sure I don't have the Thief's Ring on.

If Storm Ruler doesn't affect world tendency, then I'm not sure what good leaving it alone is. Maybe there's a Playstation trophy for doing the fight without it? Either way I intend to do a lot of research on the wiki after the playthrough is finished.

At a guess Nidoking's referring to the two crystal geckos right next to it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I haven't read the spoiler, but now I'm curious. Maybe I'll pop back over there briefly next time I record and reinvestigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - A Tower Topped