Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Broken Cog posted:

Just go hunting when you can, occasionally you get the event that lets you kill your heir for free, and if your heir has an heir of his own, it lets you skip a generation.

Yeah I found that at the perfect time (childless heir hitting infertility age), glad there's at least one way of if you're not sadistic or they just won't die in war (getting captured and then having to ransom them back for 500 gold sucks, not sure if other rulers execute your kids)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The way it is now is just tedious. It's similar to my other complaint about having to wait for a few days on a lot of diplomatic stuff like ransom requests or marriage proposals. Is there any purpose to those 3 to 5 day wait times?

Personally I think the problem with the wait time is the opposite, they don't do enough with the feature.

When it comes to scale, I feel CK3 lacks a proper feeling of distance and difficulty when it comes to inrigue and diplomacy.

Maybe it takes a few months to take a marriage proposal across the map? In that time maybe someone closer proposes.

Maybe a nearby rival kingdom intercepts the message and has an opportunity to destroy it, or alter it so that it offends the king.

Make it so that characters also have locations that matter. If you want to go on a pilgrimage your character actually has to travel there, through the seas or different kingdoms.

If you notice that a nearby enemy duke is throwing a feast, maybe declare war on the kingdom and siege the dukes castle first to get a whole bunch of important prisoners.

Allow prisoner trading, maybe you don't have to ransom just to the liege, maybe you can ransom for a higher amount to a rival looking to push a title or ensure a marriage.

Make it so that areas far away are less directly under your control. If your liege calls your troops for war from far enough away maybe you can get away with a scheme to pretend the orders never got to you. Just ensure the king doesn't find out. And how is the king going to know exactly how much you make in taxes? What would he know if a little bit of gold went missing or unreported?

Personally I find looking down at the map that it can become too easy to think of characters as just floating in empty space, since for the most part they are. Ground them in space and time, make it so that you can't simply teleport your men at arms when at war. Make it so that diplomacy is fraught with ill-timed proposals and misunderstanding simply due to historical difficulty of communication in the era.

Then you could even add technologies over time that improve your ability to communicate, to administer to a realm that stretches from Ireland to India.

And the best part is all of this could be accomplished by simply expanding upon the existing system of events and decisions. Having played more CK3 than is probably healthy at the end of the day it is incredibly wide, but only 3 foot deep. At the same time though you can see that the overarching systems that Paradox have developed are an incredibly sturdy yet flexible base for deep gameplay with rich and unique storytelling opportunities.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
Or I shouldn't play CK3 while high, one of the two.

e: oh yeah, and add a distance modifier for all opinion bonuses as well as all personal skills.
I don't care how sneaky you are, a King in Ireland should find it incredibly tough to scheme against someone in Italy.
And noone in Arabia really cares that much that you seem like a swell guy in charge of York.

ElectronicOldMen fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is the Bubonic Plague programmed to hit areas harder than others? In 4-5 playthroughs in Ireland it hit once or twice total, and was easily handled. In 2 or 3 full games in Poland and Holland...I have not been as lucky with more an a few times losing huge swaths of my dynasty and realm.

Add me to the list of folks that want some Court Physician enhancement.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I would caution those clamoring for more events; as the game gets more DLCs, every single time more events will also get added in. There's no need for a "VIET" dlc just chock-full of random events as they will naturally fill in over time

at least, that's what I assume PDX's strategy is here

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah I found that at the perfect time (childless heir hitting infertility age), glad there's at least one way of if you're not sadistic or they just won't die in war (getting captured and then having to ransom them back for 500 gold sucks, not sure if other rulers execute your kids)

You do know you can just disinherit someone, right? Or have them take the vows, if your religion has monasticism.

Edit: IIUC, with Lay Clergy you also remove a child from succession if you appoint them your chaplain, though that only works so long as you don't convert to a religion with theocratic clergy. That's how it worked for me in an Ironman Hvitserk game: appoint heir as Godi, next son in line becomes heir. Convert to Catholic when Alfred the Great Holy War'd me, ex-Godi son becomes heir again.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 19, 2020

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

FrickenMoron posted:

I think I ruined my Russia 867 game by having too many children. I thought I had given at least everyone a title but by the time my emperor died his heir only had 2 holdings left, the capital and his previous owned county.
Under Gavelkind / Partition, should I just give out a lot of titles to my heir to avoid this or cull the amount of children in general? I'm always too worried if I only have 1-2 heirs that they get murdered.

You can minimize the partition troubles, by having a good capital county.
For example in russia, the county of Novgorod has room for 6 holdings. You should build them so that you have 1 capital castle, 1 city, 1 temple and 3 barony castles there. Build improvements on your capital and the baronies.

You can freely grant those baronies to low nobles, to keep under the holding limit and get them back without tyranny, when your heir inherits your capital and has room.
That way your heir has always a strong powerbase in their capital, even if their zillion brothers inherit all the other counties.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Caustic Soda posted:

You do know you can just disinherit someone, right? Or have them take the vows, if your religion has monasticism.

Edit: IIUC, with Lay Clergy you also remove a child from succession if you appoint them your chaplain, though that only works so long as you don't convert to a religion with theocratic clergy. That's how it worked for me in an Ironman Hvitserk game: appoint heir as Godi, next son in line becomes heir. Convert to Catholic when Alfred the Great Holy War'd me, ex-Godi son becomes heir again.

true but disinherit
1-is only available if you're the dynasty head, which isn't always guaranteed (hello Karling starts!)
2-slows down your dynastic progress towards bloodline perks

e: wait does it work for house head too? then you could counter 1) by just creating a cadet branch

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there any purpose to those 3 to 5 day wait times?

theres no email in 1002, it used to be longer in ck2 and it was better that way too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even in the era of email I take 3 to 5 days to respond to people lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One non-balance DLC feature I'd really like is the ability to select who my player heir is going to be separate from my primary heir. There's a bit of abuse shielding you'd have to do here, but sometimes I'd rather play the younger son out on the periphery and leave dad's Kingdom to my older brother or whatever.

Magil Zeal posted:

There are lots of things but I feel like the biggest eyesore in the game right now is that the Byzantine Empire is right there in the middle of the map and it's just a big feudal blob with Primogeniture. So I personally want the first DLC to focus on Imperial and Republican governments. I feel like this is a good combo to deal with as both could use some sort of system for "estates" or power bases that exist not on the map but in cities and the like. Hopefully they could also find some creative ways to implement interesting ways to represent internal power struggles, which could apply to any form of government.

Yeah balance-wise this is the biggest thing for sure. Rome really needs it's own succession system, and then they need to invest some sort of system to keep them from consistently blobbing into the steppes/North Africa.

Another thing I'd like to see is some sort of rework for Crusade beneficiaries to allow it to work with partition. Right now your brother/second sons can't be named because they'll be set to inherit some county most of the time, despite that being exactly how it happened. One of the easier options might be choosing your beneficiary at the end of a Crusade, with only people with the Crusader trait eligible to benefit; if they are chosen as a beneficiary their titles in the home country should then be handed out to some other heir, sort of a localised deposition (you could even add a strong preference against the player character if it's an abuse concern). Also it'd be cool if Crusaders walked to the holy land just one time.

FrickenMoron posted:

I think I ruined my Russia 867 game by having too many children. I thought I had given at least everyone a title but by the time my emperor died his heir only had 2 holdings left, the capital and his previous owned county.
Under Gavelkind / Partition, should I just give out a lot of titles to my heir to avoid this or cull the amount of children in general? I'm always too worried if I only have 1-2 heirs that they get murdered.

You're totally fine, culling the children is never really worth it. Especially as Russia you should be putting Rurikids everywhere you can anyway for the true family action. You absolutely can preempt succession splits by handing out titles ahead of time, but if you want to make sure your Primary Heir gets lots of counties, you need to make sure every other heir has at least a duchy title basically; the higher level titles (Kingdoms, Duchies) are counted against the number of counties received. Check out the Succession tab under Realm and it'll preview how it'll all shake out.

But now that you're in the position of holding only one county, just build yourself back up. You will have claims on all the top level titles inherited by your brothers, so go take back what's yours. And don't forget that you hold an enormous advantage as the top-level liege who can revoke titles.

Excelzior posted:

true but disinherit
1-is only available if you're the dynasty head, which isn't always guaranteed (hello Karling starts!)

e: wait does it work for house head too? then you could counter 1) by just creating a cadet branch

Yeah house heads can do it, but #2 is the reason you should never do it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Excelzior posted:

I would caution those clamoring for more events; as the game gets more DLCs, every single time more events will also get added in. There's no need for a "VIET" dlc just chock-full of random events as they will naturally fill in over time

at least, that's what I assume PDX's strategy is here

And there's such a thing as too many events. That's why I don't get why people liked societies, like 80% of that DLC was just spamming you with low content text windows that you'd already seen 50 times before, and didn't even have actual choices most of the time, it was the most obnoxious poo poo ever. I want gameplay, this is a mapgame, not a visual novel!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PittTheElder posted:

One non-balance DLC feature I'd really like is the ability to select who my player heir is going to be separate from my primary heir. There's a bit of abuse shielding you'd have to do here, but sometimes I'd rather play the younger son out on the periphery and leave dad's Kingdom to my older brother or whatever.

This is a request I've had for a long time. Sometimes after I have the empire built, I just want to play as my duke cousin or someone else in the dynasty and do something with them.

You can switch characters on the fly in CK3, but I don't know if it works in ironman and doesn't quite have the same transition feel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

super fart shooter posted:

And there's such a thing as too many events. That's why I don't get why people liked societies, like 80% of that DLC was just spamming you with low content text windows that you'd already seen 50 times before, and didn't even have actual choices most of the time, it was the most obnoxious poo poo ever. I want gameplay, this is a mapgame, not a visual novel!

I installed VIET and I feel like that’s the wrong way to do events. 90% of it is spam. The game is gonna auto pause because I found 2 gold coins on a walk??

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is a request I've had for a long time. Sometimes after I have the empire built, I just want to play as my duke cousin or someone else in the dynasty and do something with them.

You can switch characters on the fly in CK3, but I don't know if it works in ironman and doesn't quite have the same transition feel.

I never actually got there in one of those runs, but do you get the “I wonder how he'll do…” choices if you install a relative as the main beneficiary of a crusade in iron mode? Narratively, it seemed like a neat idea when I saw it pop up, although they only did so when I was already heavily invested in a completely different character (otherwise there would be no chance in hell of ever fulfilling the conditions for that choice to show up).

Something similar for other pivotal events could be one way of handling it without the metagaming feel of doing it through the main menu.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Tippis posted:

I never actually got there in one of those runs, but do you get the “I wonder how he'll do…” choices if you install a relative as the main beneficiary of a crusade in iron mode? Narratively, it seemed like a neat idea when I saw it pop up, although they only did so when I was already heavily invested in a completely different character (otherwise there would be no chance in hell of ever fulfilling the conditions for that choice to show up).

Something similar for other pivotal events could be one way of handling it without the metagaming feel of doing it through the main menu.
Yep you still get that choice. In fact, in one Ironman game as Moravia, I redirected a Crusade to nearby Poland, which I then took over as my daughter, with claims to Moravia popping upon my old PCs death. It was a really fun way to take a huge amount of land really quickly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

Yeah you do get them, and I like to keep forks of the save game so I can play both branches separately.

Be very careful while doing this though, I learned the hard way that the filename that will be used to save the game is encoded in the save itself, rather than being taken from the file name. So renaming the file within the folder is sufficient for keeping a copy around, but if you ever load/save the old version, it will use the original save name, potentially overwriting a bunch of progress in the other branch.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Personally I think the problem with the wait time is the opposite, they don't do enough with the feature.

When it comes to scale, I feel CK3 lacks a proper feeling of distance and difficulty when it comes to inrigue and diplomacy.

:words:

Honestly I think that would be the most frustrating thing ever and it would feel very unfun to never know the result of what you're trying to do. The randomness of events and the like is fine and fun, having things that normally should work but sometimes don't would get really maddening and feel very arbitrary for me.

RE: Events in general - I would like more variety in events, but they shouldn't be pointless and dumb like a huge number of the VIET ones, even if you disable the really stupid ones. I like the content of the current events, but I'm seeing the same ones firing all the time.

In my Poland game, there have now been 10 firings of the "Pope has a detailed revengelist" event across 2 popes, so both the current pope and previous pope each got caught about 5 times for having the deathlist. Shouldn't that get blocked from happening to the same pope more than once? And I think it fires for every single pope that lasts more than a couple years anyways. It should be way more rare and maybe there could be other events.

In general "Sinful Bishop" is way too common and has way too strong of an effect. Who the gently caress cares if the Bishop of bumfuck nowhere got laid? Why should that affect catholicism as a whole in a large way? Why does it need to pop up on my screen if it wasn't my own drat bishop?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's bizarre. I think they're trying to play up the whole sinful Catholic clergy driving the Protestant Reformation angle that we relate to now, but it was waaaaay less of a thing in the period.

On the other hand Simony was a huge issue and it's not in the game at all because it just defaults to the Pope appointing all Bishops (theoretically anyway, I assume the game is just rolling a random one when your current bishop dies).

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 19, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

strong bird posted:

theres no email in 1002, it used to be longer in ck2 and it was better that way too

Okay, but does this matter? Last I checked there wasn't a directory that gave you an exact list of everyone alive in the world and all of their capabilities and personality traits, either. There's a lot in this game that was made unrealistic for the sake of enjoyment.

I don't have any problem with some diplomatic requests taking time, but the ones where the outcomes are already known in advance should be instant, imo. You can't tell me the whole "ransom someone off, wait a few days for the predetermined outcome to happen, then ransom the next person, and so on" business isn't tedious as gently caress.

And same with events, with a handful of exceptions where wait times make sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 19, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I cant get enough of some of the trait icons and their descriptions. Ugly frogs and dumb chickens are endlessly funny to me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah balance-wise this is the biggest thing for sure. Rome really needs it's own succession system, and then they need to invest some sort of system to keep them from consistently blobbing into the steppes/North Africa.

Another thing I'd like to see is some sort of rework for Crusade beneficiaries to allow it to work with partition. Right now your brother/second sons can't be named because they'll be set to inherit some county most of the time, despite that being exactly how it happened. One of the easier options might be choosing your beneficiary at the end of a Crusade, with only people with the Crusader trait eligible to benefit; if they are chosen as a beneficiary their titles in the home country should then be handed out to some other heir, sort of a localised deposition (you could even add a strong preference against the player character if it's an abuse concern). Also it'd be cool if Crusaders walked to the holy land just one time.

While balance is certainly a concern, it's more that the feudal system doesn't really fit how the Byzantines ran their empire and I think expanding on it could give everyone power struggles that are not necessarily related to land and titles. Because I think right now that's what it comes down to, if we're talking about struggles for power in CK2 we're talking about owning counties, duchies, kingdoms, etc., and I think there's some room for more nuance there, even if the primary way of playing the game is "have land and be a dynasty that owns part of the map". Even expanding the power base of your religion largely boils down to converting counties, and the big reason fervor is annoying for Catholicism is that it slows that process down (and then you get rebellions because evil religion).

I'd certainly agree with some rework of Crusade beneficiaries, the fact that partition makes all of your eligible children heirs and thus crusader beneficiary states are often ruled by the "wrong gender" because that's the only beneficiary you could choose is weird. Probably not necessarily part of DLC content though, it seems like a pretty small-scale fix.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

While balance is certainly a concern, it's more that the feudal system doesn't really fit how the Byzantines ran their empire and I think expanding on it could give everyone power struggles that are not necessarily related to land and titles. Because I think right now that's what it comes down to, if we're talking about struggles for power in CK2 we're talking about owning counties, duchies, kingdoms, etc., and I think there's some room for more nuance there, even if the primary way of playing the game is "have land and be a dynasty that owns part of the map". Even expanding the power base of your religion largely boils down to converting counties, and the big reason fervor is annoying for Catholicism is that it slows that process down (and then you get rebellions because evil religion).

I'd certainly agree with some rework of Crusade beneficiaries, the fact that partition makes all of your eligible children heirs and thus crusader beneficiary states are often ruled by the "wrong gender" because that's the only beneficiary you could choose is weird. Probably not necessarily part of DLC content though, it seems like a pretty small-scale fix.

I feel like the crusader thing could be pretty easily fixed by just letting you name anyone as a beneficiary and if they receive land upon a successful crusade, they just get disinherited.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there a way to keep your armies from retreating halfway across the map after a battle? My troops just marched past my rally point and deep into my territory.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Hmm, has anyone else lost the HRE & Abbasid clothing in 1.1.3 despite the DLC being stated as enabled?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What some other good newbie-friendly areas if you’re tired of Ireland? Preferably somewhere other than Europe too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tribal Russia as Rurik is a lot of fun, or there's a really nice cluster of farmland at Mudurai in Southern India.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Caustic Soda posted:

Yeah, I think at the time I was more concerned with my Renown which is silly.

Ive also had to deal with the primary heir being the wrong dynasty - not sure if I missed one of the changes, but it seems way harder to kill a single low prowess knight even when throwing them into a doomstack. Unless it works better when they're in a battle for longer? Eg, giving them some levies. It seemed they would get captured way more often than even getting wounded.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've only actually tried to do it once, I sent him as the only knight leading a bunch of levies to fight peasants, he bought it during the first battle. Small sample size though, ymmv :shrug:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I keep getting hosed up on my first succession (or the second if the first doesn’t). I tried a Leon start most recently and while I ate most of the north part via a shitton of murders and a few wars, I died before I could get enough to do some holy wars in the south. Then my heir got instagibbed by everyone before I could even do anything- I made sure all the powerful vassals ended up as councillors to try and do something to stabilize it. I ended up with a single area in Navarra with not enough manpower to fight, no skills in intrigue so I couldn’t murder my way back to titles, and I couldn’t call allies to help me for some reason the entire time (there were two or three wars). Any ideas what to do better?

Edit- this is the first time I have really played CK.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Excelzior posted:

true but disinherit

I take your point about the dynasty head thing - checking the wiki, it seems to be specifically the Dynasty Head, and not a House Head.

2) is true, but IME a strong demesne is always more important than bloodline perks, since the perks do way, way less for your military and income. It's not much good being a Genius Herculean Beauty if you've only got a single county to work with. I find title loss to be actually easier to deal with on occasion when they result in independent realms, since a strong demesne makes it relatively easy to win sibling wars.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Caustic Soda posted:

strong demesne
what perk tree does this pertain to?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
New player just finding out about this, but having a Strong Hook on someone prevents them from joining a faction. Also, the tooltip is misleading: if you imprison or revoke the title of someone in the faction and it fails, only your target rises up against you, not the entire faction, which makes dismantling pesky powerful factions a lot easier.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Shouldn’t I have a valid imprisonments reason if a vassal denies a conversion request? It’s telling me that it’ll be a tyranny hit.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Red Crown posted:

New player just finding out about this, but having a Strong Hook on someone prevents them from joining a faction. Also, the tooltip is misleading: if you imprison or revoke the title of someone in the faction and it fails, only your target rises up against you, not the entire faction, which makes dismantling pesky powerful factions a lot easier.

I don't remember what the tooltip says, but I think it's more of a maybe, it doesn't necessarily incite the whole faction, but it can. Not sure what determines why or why not

Trevor Hale posted:

Shouldn’t I have a valid imprisonments reason if a vassal denies a conversion request? It’s telling me that it’ll be a tyranny hit.

I think that's only at higher crown authorities?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

what perk tree does this pertain to?
Well Law has +0.2 control growth/month and +1 domain limit for the capstone, and Warfare has some similarly-minor bonuses to your military capabilities.

The point I was failing to express is this: bloodline perks (and Levels of Splendor) are win-more mechanics. They're nice to have, especially the Blood tree; but ultimately nowhere near as important as a strong military and the economy to support it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

there's a crucial point in the mid-game where you've just stabilized into a firm grip on a kingdom and are looking to expand and you need to ensure your inheritance goes perfectly, exactly right until you can form an Empire. That's when I usually have a couple of uses for Disinheritance.

Earlier on, it's trivial to snatch back your top-level titles. At the Empire level, your resources are such that inheritance no longer really matters - your capital duchy + your massive men-at-arms squad will be more than enough until you can fabricate/revoke any other lost counties you even care about

YMMV

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Red Crown posted:

This can depend, if it's tyranny it will almost certainly trigger a massive rebellion on failure. Make sure to check the "on refuse" option here.

Trevor Hale posted:

This seems to be weird currently. I'm not sure it's working as intended. I believe it's supposed to be dependent on your faith's hostility against the target's faith and your fundamentalist/righteous doctrine.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kinetica posted:

I keep getting hosed up on my first succession (or the second if the first doesn’t). I tried a Leon start most recently and while I ate most of the north part via a shitton of murders and a few wars, I died before I could get enough to do some holy wars in the south. Then my heir got instagibbed by everyone before I could even do anything- I made sure all the powerful vassals ended up as councillors to try and do something to stabilize it. I ended up with a single area in Navarra with not enough manpower to fight, no skills in intrigue so I couldn’t murder my way back to titles, and I couldn’t call allies to help me for some reason the entire time (there were two or three wars). Any ideas what to do better?

Edit- this is the first time I have really played CK.

The key is to build a strong economic base to start off with first. Even if it means sitting under the thumb of an overlord for a generation or two it is important to secure and consolidate a strong duchy position and build up economic and military buildings. The core duchy title should remain under the control of your primary heir and even if the duchy ends up getting split up because you have too many kids you can always reconsolidate. You need a strong economic base because good armies need money. Men At Arms units are much stronger than standard levies and cost both money passively when not raised, and a shitton of money when they are in the field during war. Knights and their cultural equivalents are also very strong combatants. Should you find one visiting your court, spend the money to hire them to be a Knight. Finally, you should be playing cautiously with your bank account as your ruler ages. Your primary heir will inherit the entire bank account and this is usually the most dangerous time. You want to be able to keep armies in the field for a long time and supplement them with Mercs.

When you do start growing into a Petty King title and have Duke level vassals serving under you, the key is to keep them weak. Especially early on, when you max out at 2 duchies, no one under should have more than one duchy themselves. Keep a close eye on vassal marriages and see if any of them are marrying within each other's families which could result in the consolidation of houses and vassal realms. Murder any potential alliances. If a vassal starts to become powerful enough to potentially challenge your heir, don't wait, go and stomp on them even if it means you are a Tyrannical dick. Toss them in jail. They will stay in jail even after succession. Vassals in jail can't start trouble. Also, it is a good source of stress relief for non-just, non-compassionate characters.via regularly torturing them. In fact, if you can find any excuse to jail a vassal, do so unless they are actually valuable councilors with high stats or are very good Knight fighters.

Finally, when succession does happen, check the faction tab and see who is going to be a trouble maker, it usually comes in the form of secondary heirs. If they start a faction and you can't murder them right away or you want to RP a good ruler, then make sure your bank account is ready and when they send that ultimatum, raise everything, hire mercs, and stomp on them. If there is no imminent factional threat, take the time to reconsolidate any lost core holdings due to partition before doing anything risky that might deplete your levies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What some other good newbie-friendly areas if you’re tired of Ireland? Preferably somewhere other than Europe too.

1066 Bohemia. You have a strong demense and some distinct short and long term goals (Unite the West Slavs and Unite Slavia).