Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

jfc, im glad i checked this thread because i almost forgot about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Streets of Kamurocho was fun. Little disappointed that all 3 character are just axel but for a free game I cant complain

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who was the third character? Haruka?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who was the third character? Haruka?

ichiban

they all have their themes playing too. pretty cool. its only sor2 first level repeating for i assume all rounds but i died in round 2 so who knows. still, for free, its fun and i like the boss replacements and the shirt ripping even if kiryu doesnt do it.

anyway, last time they did something like this, with 8bit bayonetta, they announced the bayonetta pc port. so maybe we're getting 3-6 port announcement soon.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 17, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ahh. I was legit hoping for Haruka as a Skates-type character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ahh. I was legit hoping for Haruka as a Skates-type character.

that would have owned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yagami fucks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going insane. I keep bowling above 150s in y4 and am completely unable to get a turkey. 6 10 pin frames in a row. I got this easily in the other ones wtf

Strike, strike, 9, strike, 9 etc

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I finished playing Y5 and wow that final chapter :magical:

My face stuck in this expression for like 2 hours

Also final completion stats: 62 hours played... 19.5% completed. Nice to know I have a lot of stuff to go back to.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Yagami is so thoroughly the opposite of Kiryu with women that hes actually kind of a dick about it

Not even just the potential cheating, but his romance with the drone lady is basically him borderline harassing her when she stops responding to his messages. Take a hint, man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Yagami is so thoroughly the opposite of Kiryu with women that hes actually kind of a dick about it

Not even just the potential cheating, but his romance with the drone lady is basically him borderline harassing her when she stops responding to his messages. Take a hint, man.

Judgement feels weird as poo poo wrt dating because it’s clearly a substitute for chatting up cute girls in cabaret clubs but like...trying to chat up a nineteen year old in a cabaret club is supposed to feel gross and pathetic. It actually annoyed me that Saki wasn’t just an extended substory and you lose a pretty neat part of the game (her singing in the square) by going for completion.

Also dating feels weird as poo poo because Kiryu is an awkward brick face man around women everywhere across all seven games but Yagami gets flustered as hell when he thinks he’s being propositioned and immediately goes, “ummm, it’s clear you know what it want but I don’t know if I’m about that life”.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Kiryu does not gently caress

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress, I watched two or three funny Majima videos on YouTube and now my recommendations are full of thumbnails with Y7 spoilers.

YouTubers should earn a channel ban for that poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked yagami's relationship with the fortune teller, but the other date sequences were real bad

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Kiryu does not gently caress

can not

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i liked yagami's relationship with the fortune teller, but the other date sequences were real bad

I never texted back the arranged marriage lady after I completed the majority of her story, so essentially I was just her careers advisor and as a result it was pretty cute and nice, can recommend

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I turned down all the girls except the fortune teller, in hopes she could divine who the Mole is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Now that the series has moved on from Kiryu, I'm still a little sad that we'll never get a Yakuza 0 2 or something like that that takes place in the early 90s. You can tell they left a few things hanging in 0 and had Kiryu/Majima only meet and also stuff like that Snake Flower Triad flashback and Majima being very well aquainted with Kiryu already in Kiwami 1 to make for some potential stories to tell in it. Plus it'd be a cool opposite of 0's atmosphere since you'd be within the bubble bursting/immediately post-burst.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Make a Yakuza -0 game with Kazama, Dojima and Shimano as the protagonists, set in the 60's/70's.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that the series has moved on from Kiryu, I'm still a little sad that we'll never get a Yakuza 0 2 or something like that that takes place in the early 90s. You can tell they left a few things hanging in 0 and had Kiryu/Majima only meet and also stuff like that Snake Flower Triad flashback and Majima being very well aquainted with Kiryu already in Kiwami 1 to make for some potential stories to tell in it. Plus it'd be a cool opposite of 0's atmosphere since you'd be within the bubble bursting/immediately post-burst.

maybe after a few ichiban games they'll do it as a treat for the real heads out there

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I never texted back the arranged marriage lady after I completed the majority of her story, so essentially I was just her careers advisor and as a result it was pretty cute and nice, can recommend

I did like the initial hang-out with each but the fortune teller was the only one I went all the way through with too. All the other ones were some mix of insanely weird/hosed up age difference to me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Make a Yakuza -0 game with Kazama, Dojima and Shimano as the protagonists, set in the 60's/70's.

A game like this actually set in the 60s/70s (a time where Kazama's voice actor Tetsuya Watari was literally the actor playing the character Goro the Black Dagger in the Gangster VIP/etc. flicks) isn't really something this world deserves. I think the only challenge to it would be, like Kazama espeically? That guy would just be cold murdering folks, a Kazama game would be closer to like Hitman with some management side games or something for how that character roles.

But given their much higher up on the totem pole status even in 0, they could do some wild poo poo with the story like have one of the locations be outside of Japan or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do enjoy that Y0 spends more time explaining how Kiryu got his classic suit than how Majima turned into the Joker.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why do people keep having that take when it’s made 100% clear why Majima is Majima and is told in several parts over the course of the game

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why do people keep having that take when it’s made 100% clear why Majima is Majima and is told in several parts over the course of the game

Having played 0 first and knowing nothing about the story or another other games, I was very surprised when Majima was not acting in his usual way in Kiwami 1.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoutPatrol posted:

Having played 0 first and knowing nothing about the story or another other games, I was very surprised when Majima was not acting in his usual way in Kiwami 1.

Yeah this was my experience too. I don't even mind, and I can suspend my disbelief given the amount of time that passes between 0 and Kiwami. It's just funny.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

stev posted:

I do enjoy that Y0 spends more time explaining how Kiryu got his classic suit than how Majima turned into the Joker.

I liked this because Kiryu's a very stubborn person while Majima a relatively slick go with the flow kind of person (at the start of the story). Kiryu's cutscenes with the various bad guys are drawn out and full of explanation. Majima's are the opposite with a lot more visual storytelling and getting to the point. Majima to be never stops being a slick go with the flow kind of person, the only difference is like he says at the end when he calls the Tojo Clan out on it attempting all this underhanded poo poo and then acting like they're more chivalrous or whatever even though they put regular folks in danger just as much. I thought it was interesting how his just sort of rolling with stuff pays off for him though, since it ends up majorly backfiring with Shimano having to have his own sworn brother murdered, taking a ton of heat off of Majima, just to stay alive.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't get it either. I will say, I think it might be a little clearer if people play Kiwami 1 first, since that way as soon as 0's story starts you already know that, okay every single thing that happens here is going to play into him becoming the person we see in the first game. I appreciated that both games were made so that you could play them in either order and they fit nicely together just as well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 19, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

goblin week posted:

I turned down all the girls except the fortune teller, in hopes she could divine who the Mole is.

I agree the fortune teller is far and away the best romance, though I was disappointed that her storyline didn't end with her patron yakuza dramatically ripping off his shirt to reveal his cow tattoo before fighting Yagami. It seemed so obvious a conclusion and then it just fizzles out instead.

If they ever get around to making a sequel she should definitely be upgraded to canon love interest/agency employee/participant in the actual main quest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree the fortune teller is far and away the best romance, though I was disappointed that her storyline didn't end with her patron yakuza dramatically ripping off his shirt to reveal his cow tattoo before fighting Yagami. It seemed so obvious a conclusion and then it just fizzles out instead.

If they ever get around to making a sequel she should definitely be upgraded to canon love interest/agency employee/participant in the actual main quest.

If they did a sequel that swerves from procedural J-drama into those ones that are exactly the same but with light supernatural elements in each case that would be the coolest loving thing ever. The trial potential of knowing ghosts/the fates/whatever did a thing and then having to bend over backwards to come up with a real world explanation that will hold up in court is something you could build a whole game around.

Plus it was already established in Yakuza 6 originally that ghosts are real, I think each one released after had some kind of sub story where the result was oh poo poo it was a ghost.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I never got why people clamor for a Kazama game when Kashiwagi is right there, you absolute fools. Who the gently caress wants to play King Murderdad of Orphan Hill when we can play a halfway decent guy with a very under-explored backstory and a cool scar.

Wrong Dojima, c'mon! why would I want to play the lovely rapist man when his wife is ten times more awesome and has a sword? Flip between those two as protagonists and explore early Tojo stuff in the 70s like why the hell Makoto Tojo lets wild dogs roam his HQ (yes that is the literal only fact we have about Tojo himself) and then we're talking.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 19, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I never got why people clamor for a Kazama game when Kashiwagi is right there, you absolute fools. Who the gently caress wants to play King Murderdad of Orphan Hill when we can play a halfway decent guy with a very under-explored backstory and a cool scar.

Wrong Dojima, c'mon! why would I want to play the lovely rapist man when his wife is ten times more awesome and has a sword? Flip between those two as protagonists and explore early Tojo stuff in the 70s like why the hell Makoto Tojo lets wild dogs roam his HQ (yes that is the literal only fact we have about Tojo himself) and then we're talking.

This would fuckin' rule. The same way Tanimura gets some food options the other players lack in Yakuza 4, in Kashiwagi's game all the restaurants/etc. are there but you can only order cold noodles. There's a sub story for each place like Smile Burger that isn't built to make them where Kashiwagi introduces cold noodles to them and they add it to their menu.

Not having more Kashiwagi in 0, I mean 0 is fuckin' amazing but it was odd that there was so much build up to him for just that one brief fight and then he's basically gone.

But hey all the more reason we need a 0-2. :D

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Also Kashiwagi can loving fight, Kazama was a gun guy and listen as someone who has played Dead Souls I have to tell you that you absolutely do not want RGG to do another gun game

Anyway go rewatch Kashiwagi playing the keyboard during the music video for Judgement and tell me Kazama is a better potential protagonist, I loving dare you :v:

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 19, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kojiro posted:

Also Kashiwagi can loving fight, Kazama was a gun guy and listen as someone who has played Dead Souls I have to tell you that you absolutely do not want RGG to do another gun game

Yeah like I posted earlier a Kazama game could be cool but would be very very different from the regular series if they want to be true to the character. Would still own though, Dead Souls' shooting can be questionable but a little later the same people did Binary Domain and that game's shooting and action absolutely CANNOT be questioned imo.

In the spirit of those flicks, it'd be cool if a 70s Kazama game's second location was in Italy or NYC or something like Shatterer/Sicilian Connection/etc. collaboration flicks that were a thing at the time.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Kojiro posted:

These ideas rule, consider me fully convinced. :allears:

Neo Rasa posted:

Not having more Kashiwagi in 0, I mean 0 is fuckin' amazing but it was odd that there was so much build up to him for just that one brief fight and then he's basically gone.

It's a waste of a good face. I need to know what that scar is from!

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This would fuckin' rule. The same way Tanimura gets some food options the other players lack in Yakuza 4

wait what the heck? I mean it doesn’t matter since iirc 0 was the start of eating everywhere for completion but that’s such a bizarre neat little thing to put in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kojiro posted:

They did though, its called Binary Domain and last I checked, that one was super well recieved. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

wait what the heck? I mean it doesn’t matter since iirc 0 was the start of eating everywhere for completion but that’s such a bizarre neat little thing to put in.

Oh yeah check it out, there's like one (maybe two) points somewhere in 1/2/3 where Kashiwagi mentions how he'd could really use some cold noodles instead of [whatever stuff the cutscene is about], which is why in 0 he's seen wolfing down cold noodles in his cutscene and it became an official part of his character description in that game that it's his preferred thing to eat at all times. :D

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

In the same way 0 elevates every character I assumed Kashiwagi was a huge factor in the games afterwards, especially his dramatic fight with Majima on the roof, so I was surprised when he ends up just being a pretty affable, helpful guy who you talk to a few times in a couple games who then dies almost immediately in Y3.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wolfsheim posted:

In the same way 0 elevates every character I assumed Kashiwagi was a huge factor in the games afterwards, especially his dramatic fight with Majima on the roof, so I was surprised when he ends up just being a pretty affable, helpful guy who you talk to a few times in a couple games who then dies almost immediately in Y3.

Similarly I assumed Kuze, Awano and Shibusawa would all end up being major series characters given how central they are to 0 and how much personality they have, and was surprised when they all ended up dead or otherwise gone by the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Something that makes it a little choppy is that when 1, 2, and 3 were each being made, they thought there'd be no sequel to it ever, so a lot of folks die in those games that, if it was planned to be a multi-game franchise or whatever from the start, definitely wouldn't have. And it's also why each one of them ends on a Kiryu is DONE his story is closed he has left the Yakuza for a normal life stuff. Yakuza 3 especially, that's such a THIS GUY'S GONNA STAY IN OKINAWA FOR GOOD HE IS RETIRED FOREVER AND NOT FIGHTING way to end the game.

Kashiwagi's character was always in an odd place, even Kiryu technically outranks him but he's ultra-respected for being a huge badass, which is why I was let down he wasn't a more active character in 0.

stev posted:

Similarly I assumed Kuze, Awano and Shibusawa would all end up being major series characters given how central they are to 0 and how much personality they have, and was surprised when they all ended up dead or otherwise gone by the end of it.

The more we talk about it on this page the more I really do think that they did intentionally try to set up stuff for a follow up game to 0 but it just didn't happen. I know Toshihiro Nagoshi said at one point it was something they talked about but it never went anywhere beyond them internally chatting about how that'd be cool after 0 released in the US. The level of beatdown Kiryu puts onto Shibusawa at the end of 0 and how that plays out? Like Jesus they really set up some we want revenge level stuff with that whole endgame.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2020