Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

You are already deaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m so glad that ‘rain of punitive books’ thing got raised. The book as symbol in Deeganiverse nonsense is fascinating because, frankly, authors love books as symbols of self-development and self-fashioning in an incredibly self-aggrandizing way all the time and we who read them just accept that. But Mookie here has managed to completely evacuate the one symbol in a written work that is hardest to evacuate, that is easiest to invest with meaning. It’s the medium the readers are engaging with (text/print, writ broadly) in its most culturally established incarnation! There’s whole social codes of how to understand books and bookishness!

But the books here are utterly empty of anything. They are mute physical objects that, ironically, have far less to say than Snout despite his entire character being built to express the power of books to ‘speak’ across ages and incomprehension. By reducing the text and writing to a pale prosthetic of spoken language, he utterly undermines both the medium he uses (comics visual logic, which only resurfaces in the slapstick scenes and moments of violence, which are the only two times characters emote halfway effectively with body language in this) and the medium he means to aggrandize.

There’s also a real elitist streak: some books are good and some are bad, and the distinction is that the books widely available to the public in Mongrel City are bad, sexual, sinful, and ultimately false promises of what a book should be - but the hypothetical Deegan book contains infinite knowledge and power, despite containing no actual interesting verbal content.

At the very least he could have written more for the Deegan pamphlet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Little Death posted:

While looking for this, I found this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1318221706172026880

So yes literal child writing

That's going to get super unpleasant in about two comics' time

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, so you’re two comics behind, then?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There's something real off-putting about him using his kid's writing as the writing of the mentally infantile child-woman that Snout is going to dick down.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

There's something real off-putting about him using his kid's writing as the writing of the mentally infantile child-woman that Snout is going to dick down.

Snout appears to be impotent though

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Another thing that explains so, so much. FOTNS is good absurd fun, but letting it influence your stories in any way other than the sense of spectacle? Yikes, that's a recipe for bad writing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Skypie posted:

Snout appears to be impotent though

Naturally corpse wife will be the one to initiate. If Snout showed agency in their disgusting romance he wouldn’t be a pure bean. He’ll make his dumb dog face to the camera but not actually y’now, try to stop anything. The only men to make the first move in Mookie stories are the villains, heroes are chaste and “reluctantly” bang their daughter corpse wives.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Today's Inktober confounds me, not because of the art, but the concept.

Ok... He needs help from her. Why? What does he need help with? Why is that an interesting twist? What clever subversion of the tale does this involve? What about Perseus or Medusa's character makes that intriguing to explore?

It's literally just "what if a hero wanted a villain's' help instead of wanting to kill them." There's no indication he's thought it through any more than that. The net result is he drew the exact same scene from any other adaptation of Greek myths, but Perseus has a sympathetic expression.

I like subverting expectations in my stories and settings. It’s very easy to do, too. Just take something you’ve seen done a million times and do the opposite. - Mookie

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 20, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Gorgons with archery skills has to be from a video game

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“Hey, look, so I kiiiinda hosed up, and... Look, do you have enough cash to help me buy a horse after all for my step-uncle’s wedding so we don’t have to go through with this?”

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Gee, I wonder if they’d wander around different No Man’s Sky backgrounds for a year+ with some naked spooning in between.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Little Death posted:

Hades, probably. The internet will not shut up about it.

I'm not criticizing Hades, it's just I have yet to start it and I'm dodging spoilers left and right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

The original Clash of the Titans.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Little Death posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7W-oPhY48

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Or more realistically, he got it from D&D, which based their medusas on clash of the titans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Today's Inktober confounds me, not because of the art, but the concept.

Ok... He needs help from her. Why? What does he need help with? Why is that an interesting twist? What clever subversion of the tale does this involve? What about Perseus or Medusa's character makes that intriguing to explore?

It's literally just "what if a hero wanted a villain's' help instead of wanting to kill them." There's no indication he's thought it through any more than that. The net result is he drew the exact same scene from any other adaptation of Greek myths, but Perseus has a sympathetic expression.

I like subverting expectations in my stories and settings. It’s very easy to do, too. Just take something you’ve seen done a million times and do the opposite. - Mookie

literally just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S4Ss5bK-ws

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
He's not pitching a series, he's mentioning a jumping-off point he's considered. He didn't call it interesting, he didn't puff it up or call it clever. Asking "why is he asking her for help" is the intended result.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah tbh while there is plenty to criticize about his work I feel like people in this thread are really eager to harp on even the totally normal stuff he does. There was nothing self aggrandizing about that tweet and being like "hey it would be sweet if medusa was an ally instead of an enemy" is a completely reasonable/potentially fun concept.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm not criticizing Hades, it's just I have yet to start it and I'm dodging spoilers left and right.

Nah, there's gorgons in Hades, but none with bows. Mookie seemingly doesn't play any games other than NMS.

Ironslave posted:

He's not pitching a series, he's mentioning a jumping-off point he's considered. He didn't call it interesting, he didn't puff it up or call it clever. Asking "why is he asking her for help" is the intended result.

I'm not actually interested in why he's asking her for help, my point is he needed to answer that question beforehand to ACTUALLY make his concept interesting.

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah tbh while there is plenty to criticize about his work I feel like people in this thread are really eager to harp on even the totally normal stuff he does. There was nothing self aggrandizing about that tweet and being like "hey it would be sweet if medusa was an ally instead of an enemy" is a completely reasonable/potentially fun concept.

Hi, welcome to the Deegan Mock thread.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

My problem with it is more that this is just another Nighthawks. I have zero faith in Mookie's ability to actually do an interesting take on things and my going assumption anytime he mentions any sort of cultural touchstone is that it's a cheap ploy to make him seem more well read than he is. Hence why I think that he probably stole this from d&d, like invisible clergy said. And, I'll be honest, I wouldn't care if it was anyone other than Mookie. But he has spent the better part of two decades writing stories about those dumb jocks and how much of a cool literate nerd he is, so I have to roll my eyes every time he mentioned something from some cracked list of coolest Greek myths. See also his satyrs and nymphs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's just completely empty musing, like asking "what if the sky was green" and answering it with "well then the sky would be green".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

*opens mouth*

Later that same post posted:

... I'll just say that medusa is not an archer in Hades, then.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The most spoilers you could possibly give about Gorgons in Hades is that you make friends with one

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’ll admit it is unfair to assume his story idea would be “Perseus fixes Medusa by being blandly nice and walking aimlessly” but I am like, 90% certain it’s that. But I don’t think this is him trying to look smart by bringing up a myth, I’m sure he just saw that statue of Medusa with Perseus’s head that was going around Twitter and thought “But what if neither?”

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheHan posted:

I’ll admit it is unfair to assume his story idea would be “Perseus fixes Medusa by being blandly nice and walking aimlessly” but I am like, 90% certain it’s that.
Based on his described writing process, I'm pretty sure it's not even that. It's "what if Perseus came to Medusa not to behead her, but asking for her help" and that's it. He didn't think it out any farther.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zereth posted:

Based on his described writing process, I'm pretty sure it's not even that. It's "what if Perseus came to Medusa not to behead her, but asking for her help" and that's it. He didn't think it out any farther.

See my mind naturally jumps to how the Olympians would react and what this story would look like in modern or in classical myth terms. Mookie does not seem able to make those connections. He has the visionary capacity of Lucas directing the opening act of Revenge of the Sith.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And guess what! It turns out his inspiration is even dumber and simpler than we thought.

Mookie really likes Perseus. He considers him "strong of character." And if Mookie likes a hero... Then they can do no wrong, never hurt anyone, and nothing is their fault. So his first thought was to change it so Perseus doesn't behead Medusa.

Perseus is a Deegan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's literally just "what if a hero wanted a villain's' help instead of wanting to kill them." There's no indication he's thought it through any more than that.

Well, right; Terricianno’s issue isn’t that he’s a huge fuckin perv. It’s that he’s pretentious. He’s way too enamoured with “powerful imagery” that he can’t properly visualize or incorporate into a narrative. The fact that he’s a huge perv just makes certain imagery more powerful to him.

Dominic Deegan is basically set in an mmorpg. People are routinely, harmlessly disemboweled because it’s a videogame - but it’s always assigned the ‘gravitas’ of Luna’s multiple suicide attempts because the pain is ostensibly still real. So it’s a videogame narrative, where Dominic has infinite lives but there are actual school shootings, he watches his actual mom die in front of his eyes, etc. It’s like every single Deegan comic is loss.jpg.

But is not just the sad breasts and gore; this Medusa image is like the hundredth variation on a theme: an innocent man is drawn towards a potentially sympathetic fatal women who’s a locus for dark forces beyond her control. This time it’s hair-snakes, where it was previously ink and vines. Terricianno knows the ‘femme fatale’ concept is really fraught and loaded, so he does a crude sketch, titles it “Life and Death” or something (as he did with his picture of a goatman molesting a corpse in front of a tree with boobs), and voila! He’s hinting at the unfathomable depths of the human psyche. Powerful stuff.

When this logic is applied indiscriminately to everything, it’s almost inevitable that we’d end up with this current arc about a loony tunes character befriending a feral basement sex-slave with a canonical mental age of five.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And guess what! It turns out his inspiration is even dumber and simpler than we thought.

Mookie really likes Perseus. He considers him "strong of character." And if Mookie likes a hero... Then they can do no wrong, never hurt anyone, and nothing is their fault. So his first thought was to change it so Perseus doesn't behead Medusa.

Perseus is a Deegan.

Ahahaha. "Is there a way I can make this feminist reclaiming of Medusa about the dude again?"

Chapter 14 The Battle for Barthis Part 1 [Part 1]

Going to be breaking this chapter up quite a bit because it is wordy as gently caress. Will err on the side of more posts with less strips so as not to overwhelm with the text walls.

I know that Dominic is having a vision of Szark's non-confession here, to link those interludes to the main story, but I like how it seems like really he's having a gay dream of his old best friend. Nothing wrong with that Dominic! Also, Mookie starts out strong with an alliteration that only sort of works when said outloud, but looks clever in writing. The worst kind.

I was debating leaving this out, but I had to comment on it. First, why is he writing when he can just call people on the magic telephone. Does Szark's seclusion not allow crytal ball telegrams, just normal letters? Really it's just another cliche Mookie decided to use here. Second, Szark has done exactly none of what Dominic is claiming here, whatever overcoming we saw him do was entirely from Dominic's magic mind beams. And, while I get that they were childhood friends, exactly at what point did Szark get to prove to Dominic he was a noble knight? Looking at the timeline, it doesn't seem like Dominic saw Szark much at all after Karnak's attack, and he certainly wasn't a knight then. This is the worst type of tell don't show. Everything about Szark as he is now is filled in retroactively trough descriptions like this, and the reader is just supposed to accept it as the truth.

Dominic's face is gross in panel 4. Also, while I'm glad Mookie didn't belabour the description of SoS too much, I do find it funny that that is how Dominic decides to inform Szark about everything he's been through. Gag is not the worst though. See? I can be nice!

Hope you enjoyed that gag cause here it is again! Here's were the story vears right into the stupid.

This is like the plot of an 80s movie about a beach town or a summer camp or something. You can see where Mookie has filed off the serial numbers on more competent legal plots, but since Mookie has no sense of pace or patience, he has to set up everything immediately, so the whole set up feels contrived and stupid. How exactly do these liability laws work, if Greg can be declared liable for evil cult damage? That's something out of a parody story, but Mookie means it sincerely because he couldn't think of any other way to tie this story together.

Nice to see the corrupt yellow journalists of the Quiral post willing to run with such an obvious hit piece. Once again, Callan is a poo poo hole kingdom.

here's where you can feel Mookie coming through again. You see the big sin here isn't trying to tear down the ruins of Barthis to build something new, it's honouring the JOCKSSS!!! AND THEIR SPORTBALLS!!! How is Brett Taggerty once again the centre of Mookie's ire, after the character literally exploded like a blood balloon? Mookie sure isn't telegraphing anything about his psyche here.

Here is the second Travoria sister, even more accomplished than Amelia. But yes this is where the joke about Luna's sisters started, only to be compounded when it is revealed that the Oracle Hunter is also one of Luna's sisters. Interestingly though it's only the one who is a prostitute who has to die, even if the other two are just as ruthless and destructive.

Really Mariella's just a convenient excuse for Luna to know exactly who Serk Brakkis is. Once again though, we don't know anything about her practice other than what we are told, and as soon as he is in the narrative he instantly starts loving up and getting clowned on all the time.

Dominic clicks in to the current events tab on Google, not merely satisfied to receive random visions but now actively choosing what he gets to see in order for him to manipulate everyone. I know he's done that before, but at least last time Vilrath's glyph prevented him from seeing everything, whereas out nothing stops him.

More legal shenanigans, where somehow Greg is going to some sort of debtor's prison for not paying back the damage he is accused of causing? Callan = shithole. Again the stakes here make no sense, and it just lends a sense of fakeness to the setting, making it obvious that everything only happens as a way of setting up contrived difficulties for the deegans to overcome. The fact that Serk is directly tied to Luna via her sister (and in another way, see below) also adds to the feeling of smallness and fakeness of the setting.

I find the juxtaposition of Serk against Miranda odd. Miranda moved in and gentrified the town of Quiral, which would obviously have resulted in people moving and things changing. All 100% good things, gently caress those townies for having problems with it. Even though it's now clear that evil wizard attacks are so common their are laws governing restitution, which would seem to make Penelope the Pain's point of view correct.

Serk, meanwhile, wants to take the hell blasted ruins of Barthis and pay everyone a lot of money to just move somewhere else, instead of rebuilding. Which seems very reasonable. But it really seems like the bigger problem is that he wants to honour Brett, not that he wants to pay people for ruined buildings. Obviously in a good story Serk would have some ulterior motive or there'd be some reason that this would screw the people of Barthis, but this is Deeganworld where if good people do it everything works at 100% okay, and it doesn't seem like Serk is actually ill intentions towards the people of Barthes beyond just wanting their worthless land. No ulterior motive is ever revealed, he really just does want to build that stadium.

Also, Dominic here literally becomes the angelic author insert and benevolently protects other characters. This is compelling to Mookie because he is playing out childish power fantasies with his action figures, instead of writing an actual story.

Truth and Loyalty lol. like what more is there to say here, these people are giving up their material well-being to protect the saintly Gregory from having his honour besmirched. It wouldn't even be that bad a story in another context but here it's so insufferable it's almost unbearable. Also yes here is another sin that Luna committed, her first sexual encounter needs to be confessed tearfully to Dominic. She slept with a jerk Chad, so now she needs to tearfully recount her sexual history for Dominic so that he can absolve her of the sin of not having been a virgin for mookiedick.

Love Mookie try to write dialogue for a woman. This is certainly how they talk when they describe traumatic event. She "gave herself to him", "seal the deal". Luna can't have desired sex, it had to be that she was manipulated in her sad needyness to be loved. But it's okay, Dominic will make it all better! He should take all her sexual insecurities and end them by simply silencing her. Calm your hysterical uterus, woman, the man is here and he will take care of you.

And here's where you see Rachel raping Dominic. Sexually aggressive women, a danger. Sad needy women, hot. This is been your Mookie lesson for the day.

Also, men getting raped is funny.

It wasn't until I started reading the Battle for Barthis again that I realized how tied to Mookie's sexual politics even this story was. The angle is a little different, but once again the villain is directly related to the sexual history of one of the main characters. Ultimately, so much of the stories revolve around sexual dynamics that seem straight out of an insecure 14-year-olds fantasies and hangups. Given the fact that also Mookie seems to obsess over media that he consumed as a teenager, it really seems that he is like a 14-year-old in a 40 year old's body.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 20, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But is not just the sad breasts and gore; this Medusa image is like the hundredth variation on a theme: an innocent man is drawn towards a potentially sympathetic fatal women who’s a locus for dark forces beyond her control. This time it’s hair-snakes, where it was previously ink and vines. Terricianno knows the ‘femme fatale’ concept is really fraught and loaded, so he does a crude sketch, titles it “Life and Death” or something (as he did with his picture of a goatman molesting a corpse in front of a tree with boobs), and voila! He’s hinting at the unfathomable depths of the human psyche. Powerful stuff.

You're the best, SMG. This is an exact articulation of something I was grasping at with the Medusa Perseus image. It's again this same recurring scenario he is obviously fixated on at this point in his life.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I like how Serk is giving Pam a business card even though only magic users can have the equivalent of a phone. Unless for some reason no one would know where a hugely important person like him would be and it's just his address.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dominic Deegan: just the sad breasts and gore

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That Perseus stuff is very telling, in that Mookie can’t actually associate any character traits with individuals. They don’t stand for or mean anything other than “good guy” or “bad guy” - Perseus can’t be a hero from a different milieu, a different era, maybe even someone who would have to rethink his own virtues if he decided to side with Medusa, but is instead just always-already Mookie. Swords and slaying the Gorgon are out of fashion, so Perseus becomes a soft boy, while Medusa becomes corpse daughter wife.

Much like the books in Legacy, Perseus is evacuated of all meaning. Gone is the dutiful hero who goes and does what he is told again and again, who can overthrow an evil king only by twisting his own desire (to see what Perseus has brought, in this case) against him, because Perseus always follows orders - gone is the athlete, the savior of Andromeda. Because there is no Perseus. So while his drawing is perfectly fine, if uninspiring, the ideas behind it do speak to Mookie’s deep failure: he can’t actually imagine characters with specific characteristics, who remain the same person they were despite changes in values or place in the story, so when his model of heroism changes to passive Snoutishness even Perseus becomes nothing more than that.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So Deegan comforts Moe Szyslak by helpfully telling him "Hey this sucks, but you're really strong! So you should be fine!" which is like, page one of things not to tell someone struggling with something. Then he spends just as much time bragging about how cool his life is.

Also Luna doesn't say he's dating her sister, they're SLEEPING together. They're loving. And this is gross and bad! Good relationships are like DD's and Luna's, where they stay CHASTE and PURE because sex is icky and gross and no one let me do it in highschool so they're all gross jocks! Like BRETT!

Mookie really just let alllllll his issues just kinda free-flow ooze all over this comic, it's incredible.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Little Death posted:

Chapter 14 The Battle for Barthis Part 1 [Part 1]

Here we go, time for things to get real bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

Here we go, time for things to get real bad.

Don't forget incredibly stupid!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I had forgotten about Luna's confession, and after seeing it again, I vaguely recall thinking at the time that it was sweet that Dominic didn't hold her past actions against her

Reading it again 10+ years later with a different perspective, it feels unbelievably weird and bizarre and creepy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

How is Brett Taggerty once again the centre of Mookie's ire, after the character literally exploded like a blood balloon? Mookie sure is telegraphing anything about his psyche here.

If Mookie did not go to school with a Brett Taggerty (Or someone with a very similar name) I'm the Kaiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kavak posted:

If Mookie did not go to school with a Brett Taggerty (Or someone with a very similar name) I'm the Kaiser.

You honor our forum, Your Imperial Majesty of Germany.