Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sydin posted:

What are some other good casts to build around? Everything else at first blush feels underwhelming compared to Dio's.

Ares and Demeter's casts both get some sick duos with Artemis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Control Volume posted:

Huh, I figured they wouldnt proc lightning at all since theyre distinct from an attack/special

Possibly? I may have been seeing the lightning procs from chain bounces.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sydin posted:

It is objectively worse when the only cast I care about is festive fog, which doesn't get casts stuck in people. :colbert:

What are some other good casts to build around? Everything else at first blush feels underwhelming compared to Dio's.

Poseidon's cast is amazing and so is Ares (especially if you can stack Blade Rifts on dash and double-dip on your rift enhancers. Artemis is some really high damage and is homing. The only stinker IMO is Aphrodite, and Zeus and Athena are mediocre compared to everything else, not being much better than the default cast.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Artemis cast is really great with Poseidon's sword. Pile a few poms into it and a triple cast is often enough to smash through a phase of a boss.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

Stygian does have at least one clear advantage over Infernal:

that took me a minute

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Hwurmp posted:

Correct, although you'll need to talk to certain characters with the other weapons equipped to unlock their aspects.

Sword: Nyx
Shield: Chaos
Bow: Artemis
Fists: Asterius, in his solo mid-boss fight
Rail: Zeus

I've been wondering why I still haven't unlocked the Fists' hidden aspect and I think this explains it.

So am I understanding that I need to have the conversation with the character listed above while I'm using a weapon other than Fists to unlock the hidden aspect?

I've unlocked every other aspect except the hidden Fists one now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think you need to run into Asterius with the fists equipped first, and he'll make a comment about fighting barehanded. If you see him again with a different weapon that's when he'll give you the phrase for the hidden aspect.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Poseidon's cast is amazing and so is Ares (especially if you can stack Blade Rifts on dash and double-dip on your rift enhancers. Artemis is some really high damage and is homing. The only stinker IMO is Aphrodite, and Zeus and Athena are mediocre compared to everything else, not being much better than the default cast.

Aphrodite works well with poseidon sword, especially since a couple gods have boons that do aoe damage on cast. The base damage is massive, youre always close enough to dislodge your crystals, and you take less damage when you inevitably mess up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You need to be wearing the fists while you talk to the character who tells you about its hidden aspect. I don’t think that’s true for the other weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not true, I didn’t have fists equipped when I got the hidden fists message

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Not true, I didn’t have fists equipped when I got the hidden fists message

You need him to see you wearing the fists before you get that message. Once he sees them he will comment. Then at some point in the future he will move on to the next step.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got 170 ish hours and I've finished the epilogue, what next?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

zoux posted:

Have you played A Short Hike?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you played A Short Hike?

I've Dead Cells and am considering playing it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Is it still fun to beat up dad? did you do it at EM4 with MAXIMUM HEAT?

If you answered Y then N, keep beating up your dad.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

zoux posted:

I've Dead Cells and am considering playing it

Dead Cells is great but imo, it just pales in comparison to Hades in every single way. Dead Cells does lots of things great, but Hades does all of those great things better.

Also the difficulty curve in Dead Cells is totally, completely hosed. It goes from mind-numbingly easy to challenging to very, very hard, and there are 2 difficulty levels beyond that that make it astronomically difficult.

Good game and I enjoyed the time I spent with it but Hades just..... surpasses it in every dimension, as far as I'm concerned.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Serephina posted:

FO doesn't muck with your iframes so much as highlight how few you actually get. You'll notice this since your timings are now all totally off!

Yeah, this hosed me up hard and ruined a perfectly good run for me. Made it to the final boss with full death's defiance charges and just got absolutely loving rocked. I think I ate every spin slash he threw trying to dash out of the way of it.

I ended up having to resort to a Shield+Doom build to get past FO so I could turtle through things.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chill, hangover,

Crits are extremely good on Chiron special
I've been routinely underwhelmed by crits on the Chiron special. The damage never seems to be as useful as getting hangover/chill.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khizan posted:

I've been routinely underwhelmed by crits on the Chiron special. The damage never seems to be as useful as getting hangover/chill.

crits on the chiron special in my last run were enough to trigger em4 hades' first invincibility phase in three shots

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like using Artemis' cast especially with one of the cast damage+ weapons, but in general it's just a nice high-damage ranged option if you're using one of the shorter range melee weapons. Homing is super nice and getting some extras on it like Exit Wounds or Mirage Shot can let you really pack some hurt on a stronger enemy or just clear out dudes that are out of reach. I really like that it goes through shields as well. Poseidon cast can also be fun especially if you get some boons that do stuff on the knockback; love to throw a single cast out and wipe out an entire room in Styx. Zeus always ends up feeling kind of underwhelming, probably because I rarely have the opportunity to just go all in on them and it feels kinda lackluster without the extra damage boons boosting it up vs one that can stand alone like any of the status-applying ones. Ares is kinda the same for me as well, I've had a few runs where I did good damage with the blade things but it required getting several other boons to boost them up but honestly if I pick either of them up in Tartarus and haven't already got a boon or two that boosts them I'll sometimes sell them off and try to get something else in Asphodel.

I've been swapping back and forth between infernal and stygian and I think I end up getting more use out of the casts when I take infernal because generally I immediately chuck out all 3 of them, run around for a bit doing damage to whatever they're stuck in, then pick them up more or less automatically while dashing around then immediately fire them back out again. Sometimes I do lose them out in the lava or just miss where they ended up but they do automatically come back to you after some time passes so it's only *really* annoying if I manage to lose all three of them. Getting the boon that brings them back to you is super nice though. I think w/stygian I just forget to keep track of the stone regenerating so I throw one out then forget to ever throw another one and end up getting way less use out of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m definitely never going to be capable of FO2 but even FO1 feels like an insane jump to me, I’m just getting hit nonstop by things I normally have no trouble with, but not sure if I’ll be able to find a way to manage that 32 heat without a few of these modifiers I hate like FO1 and time limit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

minya posted:

Dead Cells is great but imo, it just pales in comparison to Hades in every single way. Dead Cells does lots of things great, but Hades does all of those great things better.

Also the difficulty curve in Dead Cells is totally, completely hosed. It goes from mind-numbingly easy to challenging to very, very hard, and there are 2 difficulty levels beyond that that make it astronomically difficult.

Good game and I enjoyed the time I spent with it but Hades just..... surpasses it in every dimension, as far as I'm concerned.

I've actually got about 10 hours in DC and I see what you mean. It's fun though. Is there anything out there even in the same ballpark as Hades as far as roguelikes go?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

zoux posted:

I've actually got about 10 hours in DC and I see what you mean. It's fun though. Is there anything out there even in the same ballpark as Hades as far as roguelikes go?

Enter The Gungeon is great, and has lots of charm and personality. The difficulty curve is about right, IMO, but relies more on RNG than Hades does. Definitely worth playing.

Hades is just in a class of its own, really. It's as if they managed to take everything that I found annoying or frustrating about roguelike gameplay and completely flip it so that it becomes a positive mechanism for keeping me hooked with the story or gameplay. It's a masterpiece of game design.

Edit: Oh, I forgot Darkest Dungeon — easily as stylish as Hades, maybe even moreso. The artwork, sound design, and music are simply perfect, and it makes playing the game a joy. The actual gameplay can be really frustrating, though. Nowhere near as streamlined or elegant as Hades, but it does have "higher stakes risk/reward" mechanics that can be really fun when it all comes together.

minya fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 19, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

minya posted:

Edit: Oh, I forgot Darkest Dungeon — easily as stylish as Hades, maybe even moreso. The artwork, sound design, and music are simply perfect, and it makes playing the game a joy. The actual gameplay can be really frustrating, though. Nowhere near as streamlined or elegant as Hades, but it does have "higher stakes risk/reward" mechanics that can be really fun when it all comes together.

Yeah I was describing this as "the best designed indy game since Darkest Dungeon" recently. DD is somewhat clunkier and less elegant than Hades mechanically but it also felt a little more innovative and original -- the stress mechanic was a New Thing and the art and voice acting was braver and pushed the margins a bit more. Hades feels more like a perfect iteration of prior forms than a brand new thing in itself.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zeus on Chiron special is still really good despite the cooldown. You don’t get a bolt for every arrow but you still get like 3 or 4 which is enough to melt poo poo. It might not be the number one strongest boon to have on your special but it’s still extremely viable

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Artemis cast is really great with Poseidon's sword. Pile a few poms into it and a triple cast is often enough to smash through a phase of a boss.

This. It's not the fastest at clearing regular rooms (though it does fine), but holy poo poo it melts bosses. I was a little worried going into Theseus because I still didn't have a call, but 4 Artemis casts juiced up on Poms and Exit wounds killed him almost as fast as any of the 4-bar calls.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Is Tisiphone.... okay?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Is Tisiphone.... okay?

Shes the punisher of murderers and very dedicated to her position

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is it ever explained exactly who she thinks zaggy murthered

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aspect of Hestia: only fire reloaded shots or keep shooting?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

An incredibly large number of rats and satyrs

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

zoux posted:

Aspect of Hestia: only fire reloaded shots or keep shooting?

I usually only fire reloaded shots unless the enemy I'm fighting doesn't get completely unarmored by one reloaded shot. If they only have a sliver of armor left I'll pop off a few more shots to finish breaking the armor before I reload and finish them off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ciaphas posted:

Look, that was self defense

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Look, that was self defense

Murderer.......

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Not nearly large enough

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The gun + the hammer that limits you to 6 shots is absolute garbage.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Is it just Meg? You don't meet her until you've given Meg a few Styx dunks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Huh, is Demeter the only god that gives damage on cast? I could have sworn another god had a similar ability

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Waltzing Along posted:

The gun + the hammer that limits you to 6 shots is absolute garbage.

The shotgun upgrade is one of the few hammer upgrades that will absolutely ruin a run.

There's others I don't love, but I swear to god the fists have a bigger default range than the shotgun does. You have to absolutely be up in someone's grill to hit with it, and the base damage boost is just... not that great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fwoderwick posted:

Is it just Meg? You don't meet her until you've given Meg a few Styx dunks.

You can't murder an immortal! Meg isn't Balder here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is feeding nectar to bouldy a waste?