Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

There’s no reason to have a funeral for something that was dead before it was announced.

Microsoft still had to carry it to term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how they'd aggregate that fan data. They don't have to worry about the thermal compound drying out over time since it's "liquid metal" but some folks just don't pay attention or have the luxury of having enough space to allow for good airflow. Some folks just put their console in an enclosed space and never think about it again... until it bursts into flames.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they're gonna detect the decibel level of everyone's fans from the always-on party chat recordings

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

More then anything I am waiting for the Smashing a PlayStation 5 video.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How I picture my PS5 constantly trying to optimize its fan from user data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5SQQcmebg&t=62s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Ico better than Shadow of the Colossus.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I love Ico, but TLG is Ueda’s best game as it’s like an inverse Ico with a colossus companion.

Plus we wouldn’t have god drat dark souls or Bloodborne or Sekiro if it weren’t for ico, as it inspired Miyazaki to quit his job at Oracle to make video games.

:allears:

Oxxidation posted:

one moment from ico i very clearly remember is when you finally make it to the bridge leading out to the temple and it collapses, leaving yorda barely clinging on. i stopped on a loving dime and doubled back to (futilely) pull her up again - there was no prompt, barely even a camera swing, the game just trusted you to have gotten invested enough at that point to try and save her of your own volition

another reason why the endless tooltips and voiceover tutorials for TLG annoyed the hell out of me

Yeah, this was a really great moment and it might seem silly now, but it’s a great example of games trusting the player and it does so through emotional investment, and I don’t think many other games tried to do stuff like that during the time. Ueda said that he got a lot of pushback but he insisted on keeping that part in and not having a prompt or a cutscene, etc.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

How I picture my PS5 constantly trying to optimize its fan from user data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5SQQcmebg&t=62s

ive never seen this but it looks funny af

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I wonder how they'd aggregate that fan data. They don't have to worry about the thermal compound drying out over time since it's "liquid metal" but some folks just don't pay attention or have the luxury of having enough space to allow for good airflow. Some folks just put their console in an enclosed space and never think about it again... until it bursts into flames.

The point of the white outer panels is to jut out and take up space so that you can wedge a PS5 into the smallest volume it'll fit in and air intake/output should still be unobstructed

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shadow of the Colossus is boring as poo poo and is the same thing done slightly different like 12 times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bradzilla posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is boring as poo poo and is the same thing done slightly different like 12 times.

Mario is just jumping over guys for like 20 levels!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

I will show you my psychokinetic powers! *increases fan speed*

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

bradzilla posted:

This is the worst post in this entire thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vote_no posted:

I will show you my psychokinetic powers! *increases fan speed*

Snake! Move the console to the top shelf! It's the only way to beat him!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

This is the worst post in this entire thread.

And that's saying something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

blessed picture

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Ico was fine but I wouldn't call it a must play super-classic like SOTC or TLG

Also the graphics were rear end even by 2001 standards

That game looks loving beautiful, the water, stonework, and environmental lighting are absolutely stellar.

Tbh, most PS2 games don't really have enough detail to stand out in a post-480p world, and yet Ico looks beautiful year after year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1318236655879409665

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ico is better than SotC and TLG combined.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You must have taken this at a farm, cos all I'm seeing is GOATs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That game looks loving beautiful, the water, stonework, and environmental lighting are absolutely stellar.

Tbh, most PS2 games don't really have enough detail to stand out in a post-480p world, and yet Ico looks beautiful year after year.

Yeah it's been years but my impression of Ico was that it was pretty as gently caress. It's the first game where I recall myself stopping at a place with a nice view and just admiring the scenery for a minute.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the sunlight coming through the windows in the beginning part :o

the rope physics!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

eonwe posted:

ive never seen this but it looks funny af

Both of the Armor of God movies rule (AKA Operation Condor in other markets).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

Both of the Armor of God movies rule (AKA Operation Condor in other markets).

Wow up to this point I had that one mixed up in my head with Police Story 4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is how cheevos work on Xbone isn't it?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is how cheevos work on Xbone isn't it?

its how it works on ps4 too, only now its all integrated properly into the UI rather than a email and presumably more games will use it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow up to this point I had that one mixed up in my head with Police Story 4

Also legendary! Fighting with the ladder is one of his scenes that I'll always remember and it encapsulates everything about his style in a short scene. The prop fu, slapstick pretend pain, actual stunt real pain, crazy acrobatics, and perpetually being the underdog scrambling and eking out a draw or a win.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Ico's combat has not aged well. SOTC is the best Team Ico game, and I don't think it's particularly close.

I did enjoy all three of them, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

Ico's combat has not aged well. SOTC is the best Team Ico game, and I don't think it's particularly close.

I did enjoy all three of them, though.

I don't think Ueda games really have 'combat', which is probably the point from his vantage. More apt to say that his trilogy has thematically consistent struggle mechanics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

Also legendary! Fighting with the ladder is one of his scenes that I'll always remember and it encapsulates everything about his style in a short scene. The prop fu, slapstick pretend pain, actual stunt real pain, crazy acrobatics, and perpetually being the underdog scrambling and eking out a draw or a win.

Yeah the old remodled church convent theater where I used to live ran midnight releases of action movies in the 90s and it was the best. I recall seeing some great schlock there when I was young, Rumble in the Bronx, Supercop, First Strike, Judge Dredd, Broken Arrow, Barb Wire, Tank Girl, Demolition Man, The Phantom etc.

The Chan flicks were the highlight, tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think Ueda games really have 'combat', which is probably the point from his vantage. More apt to say that his trilogy has thematically consistent struggle mechanics.

For example, I struggle to care or have any interest about them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

For example, I struggle to care or have any interest about them

lol

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Call it what you want, but hitting the shadow guys with the stick loving sucks, and there is way too much of it (likely to pad out a short game).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I can see how it could get on people's nerves because it's rather disempowering, but mechanically Ico's struggle mechanics are as uniform and simplified as what goes on in the following two games. Wander can fire arrows and stab a sword (swing it, too, but against what?), Boy can throw pots and wriggle out from being grabbed, and Ico can...thwack haphazardly this way and that. Most of the design effort has gone into minimizing these elements as much as possible within context and maximizing focus on movement, environmental trial and error, and yelling to something that can barely understand you.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ICO's controls aren't a problem for me, they can be remapped to be exactly the same as Uncharted.

The Last Guardian doesn't let you remap controls so you're stuck with jump on triangle. The PS4 version of SotC took out full button remapping so I can't control Agro with the right trigger and use the camera at the same time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Call it what you want, but hitting the shadow guys with the stick loving sucks, and there is way too much of it (likely to pad out a short game).

Using York’s to unlock a passage fries all the shadows. If you keep moving combat was pretty minimal if I recall.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

derra posted:

Using York’s to unlock a passage fries all the shadows. If you keep moving combat was pretty minimal if I recall.

Yes, going through the weird magic sliding block doors kills all the shadows, and I believe you can do that in most instances instead of hitting each one with a piece of wood. Also you start out with a piece of wood then get a sword, or a crazy mace or a light saber, so it’s meant to make you feel weak at first.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have cancelled my AC pre-order because the previews make it sound like rear end that I’m not paying next gen launch price for.

My PS5 is gonna be a Miles Morales and Yakuza LAD box til after Christmas at this point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If I can snag a box Imma play Demon's Souls and then blast through the rest of Iceborne with fast loading times until NieR remastered and SMT Noctourne come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have cancelled my AC pre-order because the previews make it sound like rear end that I’m not paying next gen launch price for.

My PS5 is gonna be a Miles Morales and Yakuza LAD box til after Christmas at this point.

Yeah ac looks like the same thing theyve been making for a while